Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Codex Year of the Donut
I thought the disappointment is enough from seeing the Steam's rating going up to >70%, but the fact there are Codexers warming up to the possibility of Bethshitda iMpR0v1n5 is just.... made me can't even.
It's better than anything obsidian has shat out since new vegas.
I'm pretty much entirely out of games to play so I'm just playing whatever. This happened to be better than I expected.

Black Angel

Arcane
I'm pretty much entirely out of games to play so I'm just playing whatever. This happened to be better than I expected.
I don't really care about Obsidian, and I don't really care that you're playing or, God forbid, enjoying this filth.

The fact that you're accepting this mediocrity is what boggles my mind. Instead of playing whatever, why not try Colony Ship combat demo instead? Would be better for your brain, that's for sure.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't really care about Obsidian, and I don't really care that you're playing or, God forbid, enjoying this filth.

The fact that you're accepting this mediocrity is what boggles my mind. Instead of playing whatever, why not try Colony Ship combat demo instead? Would be better for your brain, that's for sure.
XJKSGfo.jpg

ZeniBot

Cipher
you know for someone that's bragging about the game being "so good" your spending an awful amount of time outside of the game
edit. I just read your posts from the TORtanic thread. Holyfuck you're a massive cuck. Actually endorsing giving money to EA are you insane. After what they did to Bioware, Origin, Westwood and Bullfrog. what the fuck is wrong with you.

Last edited:

superluccix

Novice
Wastelanders has been pretty great so far. More enjoyable than Outer Worlds for sure. Glad to see the Steam Reviews picking up. Shame it wasnt like this at the very beginning though.

Though I will admit, kinda interesting from a narrative perspective to have all the other NPCs being people who arrived after you. Dont think Ive ever played I game where I was the first inhabitant to a game world. Still wouldnt recommend it though for future references, but an interesting thought experiment nonetheless

Bliblablubb

Arcane
kinda interesting from a narrative perspective to have all the other NPCs being people who arrived after you.
It works better if you start a new char. Aside from a fangirl reaction in the settlers camp, nobody actually treats you like the bigass hero you are. You are still everyone's errantboy and "have to prove yourself" Filthy freeloaders.
No respect. :argh:
For, you know, nuking the BatQueen at least 7 times. Per weekend. Also Whitesprings. And Morgantown maybe. Because flux. Baby LMG eats a lot of ammo mkay?

this quest has a lot of ways to solve it, did you get to it yet Bliblablubb ? Multiple ways for both the 'right' solution and the not-so-right ones.
Yeah that one is pretty good, you can sneak, lockpick, hack, even jump up a hole if you have the masurpial mutation.

quest recognized that I did a side quest to become a member of the military
Gets funnier during a settlers quest, when you get a line for every fucking thing you achieved during a quest so far. No spoilaz. The NPC is less than impressed, in a "Big deal. You, us and every other idiot pouring out of vault 76" way.
Some speech checks even save you a FedEx quest btw. :incline:

Also it seems the only mutual exclusive thing between raiders and settlers victims is who you roll with for the final heist mission. You can play both chains until the point where the game warns you. And even that is only for flavor, since the reward is just a rep boosht, giving you access to the good stuff. Gaining rep up otherwise is a grindy long time goal. So... lets say: if you like yuge weapons and ammo, go raiders. #BestDeal

Aaaand turns out the male romancable NPC is actually better. At least "his" quest locations are all new/rebuilt. I kinda sorta expected that, since he is the pipboy animation for both, and comes "early" in the game, while the womyn feels like they tacked her on later.

ADL

Prophet
Calm down schizo

Aren't you that one fag that came by NMA to tell us how great Fallout 3 was or is that some other moron?
I don't even like Fallout 3/4 or Oblivion/Skyrim for that matter you dumb retard. Morrowind was an acceptable downgrade from Daggerfall but that's to the extent I'll praise any of Todd's games. Notice how I'm praising the game Todd had the least to do with? The one that didn't even pretend to be an RPG? What exactly is it that boggles your mind about praising the single Bethesda game that didn't pretend to be an RPG under the premise that it didn't disappoint me? If they had given me the same courtesy with Fallout 3 or Fallout 4, I wouldn't have had a sliver of hope of the game being decent.

I thought these games were only popular because of modding but apparently people really like to play them.
There's nothing else like them with the exception of Kingdom Come Deliverance. The fact that Bethesda's mediocrity is accepted speaks volumes about how deprived the genre is of immersive sim RPGs.

Onionguy

Educated
Calm down schizo

Aren't you that one fag that came by NMA to tell us how great Fallout 3 was or is that some other moron?
I don't even like Fallout 3/4 or Oblivion/Skyrim for that matter you dumb retard. Morrowind was an acceptable downgrade from Daggerfall but that's to the extent I'll praise any of Todd's games. Notice how I'm praising the game Todd had the least to do with? The one that didn't even pretend to be an RPG? What exactly is it that boggles your mind about praising the single Bethesda game that didn't pretend to be an RPG under the premise that it didn't disappoint me? If they had given me the same courtesy with Fallout 3 or Fallout 4, I wouldn't have had a sliver of hope of the game being decent.

I thought these games were only popular because of modding but apparently people really like to play them.
There's nothing else like them with the exception of Kingdom Come Deliverance. The fact that Bethesda's mediocrity is accepted speaks volumes about how deprived the genre is of immersive sim RPGs.

I will solve that one mystery for free this time: Here's why he thinks you are a fag, what you do with that knowledge is entirely up to you:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-do-people-hate-oblivion-so-much.122755/

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Calm down schizo

HAHAHA! What are the odds? Both with a close registration date. Well good sir if you are not a Bethesda fan then I recant my vendetta against you. You can just assume everything I said was directed at that faggot with the really hard to spell name. I assumed he changed it.

The Jester

Cipher
Goddammit i opened codex to see people pissing on this piece of shit abomination, not praising it:negative:

Codex Year of the Donut
Took Mount Blair and valiantly defended it for 30 minutes of excavation during an onslaught of Yao Guis, got a lot of ore from it :bunkertime:

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Gets funnier during a settlers quest, when you get a line for every fucking thing you achieved during a quest so far. No spoilaz. The NPC is less than impressed, in a "Big deal. You, us and every other idiot pouring out of vault 76" way.
Was walking through the settler's HQ and a settler commented "that hammer looks brutal" to my legendary sledgehammer
It's nice when a game world acknowledges little things

Derrick's pittsburgh accent is pretty authentic btw. Sounds a bit canadian-y though.

came back on chems and a settler told me I'm high and need to go sleep it off :hahano:

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The amount of butthurt this is generating is going to keep me playing and posting updates for a while.
Meh, that's just normal 'dex crusading behavior. "It was shit a year ago and it will never become even good for what it is. Because it was made by Todd. Everyone who plays this is automatically a Bethestard, Toddfanboi and goes straight to hell!"
They even go through the trouble of making alt accounts just to give you a second opinion. :hahano:

Was walking through the settler's HQ and a settler commented "that hammer looks brutal" to my legendary sledgehammer
It's nice when a game world acknowledges little things
I bet they copied the script straight from Skyrim. The NPCs comment on your special stats and the currently equipped weapon. Todd loves recycling.
Oh and if you are into hammers don't do "Mayor for a day" in Watoga until you are lvl50, which you probably will be at that point anyway. Just saying, it's one of the few "keepers" quest rewards.

In other news, the weapon you get at the end of the male ally's quest is... actually good. As in "enough to pull your weight in events".

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
the 'alternative' UI(right click or press 'V' at the pipboy) is far better than the default one. No annoying animations, much easier to read. It's basically the power armor UI but only for certain screens, default HUD stays as is instead of the dumb power armor HUD.

Codex Year of the Donut
Thoughts at 53 hours in -- I never finished Fallout 3 or Fallout 4, FWIW.
This is Bethesda's best Fallout entry.
  • Being only 25 years after the bombs fell fits Bethesda's interpretation far better.
  • Good enemy variety(I assume this is thanks to the recent expansion.)
  • Enemy factions each have their own unique tactics.
  • The more unique enemies have some good design with lots of different abilities.
    Mothman fight was really unexpected right from the start. Probably the first time I can think of enemies having advanced combat behavior in a bethesda game tbh.
  • I was confused when the base storyline had interactive dialogues and it appears they went back and re-did all the major dialogues in the base storyline to update them to the same Wastelanders standard.
  • The good parts of FO4 -- such as heavily customizable weapon/armor -- are improved and expanded upon.
  • Building my camp(It's an acronym of course -- C.A.M.P.) is fun, I think the build budget actually ended up making me more creative. I found a little secluded path on the side of a mountain and setup my camp there, very cozy. Offers free food and water to people who pass through.
  • Quest design(specifically, the Wastelanders content) is very good. Was there a major shakeup on the development team after the bombed launch?
  • Lots of lore in the form of notes, terminal entries, and voice logs.
  • Some of the locations are massive. Much bigger than essentially anything I remember from FO3 or FO4. I was doing an event in a power plant with another guy and we kept getting lost because the place was like a labyrinth.
  • Exploration is good. I actually like the design of the map. Doesn't feel absurdly themepark-y like FO4 where you stumble over something every 5 seconds, sometimes I go a good deal of time without encountering much of anything.
  • I actually like the perk card system. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it at first. When you level up you select a single perk card from a rather massive pool of available cards. Also, most cards can be ranked up by combining them together. Cards are 'equipped' like gear, and have a fixed cost. e.g., if you have 5 Strength, you can equip up to 5 'points' worth of cards. You can use your charisma stat to share perks with party members in a similar fashion.
  • Again, lots and lots of perk cards for nearly every situation. Expect to swap them around a lot depending on what you're doing.
  • Heavily branching dialogue. No dialogue wheel, traditional dialogue choices like FO3/NV. Lots of SPECIAL checks.
  • Being a new character felt well integrated into the story which has advanced a year since launch. From leaving the vault late to doing the story 'out of order', the game acknowledges it.
  • I like that carrying capacity actually matters and was a major factor in me going for a full strength build.

Cons:
  • No companions. Some of you view this as a good thing, but I want to let you know that you're dead wrong. Looks like they might be adding animal companions though. That would be nice, I really miss having someone cover my ass while I'm scrounging for things or hacking a terminal. I feel so vulnerable without it.
  • I think some perk cards should have a stat minimum requirement or else they don't make sense.
  • There's no text chat. There's a mod for it, but this is something that should be considered mandatory...

Other thoughts:
It's not an MMO. It's just an online game where you occasionally encounter other people. It actually fits really well with the world they were building.
Runs perfectly fine on linux.

Tips:
Turn on pacifist(no outgoing damage to other players) mode in the game options to accidentally avoid damaging other players.

If Bethesda released this at launch, it would have been very well received.
I know you guys are eagerly awaiting my next update on my thoughts on FO76, stay tuned :salute:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom