Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me some dumb AAA shit

Ivan

Arcane
which is still:
200.webp

Edit: Just Cause 4 is free to own on EGS right now. I'll give it a look since I do love the DNA of Just Cause (2 was my fav).
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/just-cause-4/standard-edition?sessionInvalidated=true

Machocruz

Arcane
Dying Light - zombies, parkour, B-movie plot, diversity cast. The very definition of Hollywood style dumb, while still being quite a good game content and mechanics-wise.

Saints Row 2 - best GTA clone. The plot and dialogue is like one of those gangsta rap movies that went straight to video back in the 90s, or the ones that paired popular rapper with a martial arts star, like Exit Wounds, but way more charming. Lots of opportunities to create chaos and be a menace to society while drinking your juice in the hood, while recent GTAs have you playing darts and tennis. And very good city layout imo.

Codex Year of the Donut
I hadn't heard that there was anything redeemable in Andromeda. I might check it out, but honestly I have a nagging suspicion that the nuBiowareness might just be a little too dumb, even for me. I'm also already bloated up with Steam, Galaxy, and UPlay. Would rather not have to add Origin to the mix on top of it.
It's using the frostbite engine(battlefield games) so it having fun shooty shooty is pretty much the only decent thing about it.

Silly Germans

The Destiny 2 campaigns are decent enough. The gameplay itself is pretty good, only the whole
online crap is annoying. And the way how missions are started is somewhat convoluted.
But looking up how to start the campaigns and playing them makes for a decent AAA shooter.

I also second Titanfall 2 , its single player campaign is great.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I have a 1070 as well and 45 is a no go for me with Origins. I can't figure out why. All diagnostic information is suggesting to me that I'm experiencing a GPU bottleneck, but... that just can't be the case. And I get basically the same performance regardless of any settings outside of vsync and frame limiter. I'm not much of a techie so maybe there's something obvious I'm missing, but it seems like the PC port was just a bit of an afterthought and optimization was in no way a priority. Oh well. I find 30FPS playable; it's just more about my frustration at having paid good money for a shitty port that should run a lot better than it does, and I don't necessarily want to do that again with Odyssey.

Are you insisting on highest settings or something? Origins should be able to hit 60 pretty easily on a 1070 if you turn some things down. Ubisoft is notorious for having "ultra" settings be way more poorly optimized than "high." I'm pretty sure I watched a benchmark video once for Odyssey that said simply turning clouds down from ultra to high gained like 10fps.

Anyway... I second the Just Cause recommendation, they're good dumb fun games. Control is pretty good if you like the new Tomb Raider style level design and shooting. Resident Evil 2 is good as well.

Rusty isn't wrong that ME: Andromeda can be a fun open world shooter with pretty sci-fi visuals. Its quest design and writing are terrible though, so don't play it as an RPG.

I have a 1070 as well and 45 is a no go for me with Origins. I can't figure out why. All diagnostic information is suggesting to me that I'm experiencing a GPU bottleneck, but... that just can't be the case. And I get basically the same performance regardless of any settings outside of vsync and frame limiter. I'm not much of a techie so maybe there's something obvious I'm missing, but it seems like the PC port was just a bit of an afterthought and optimization was in no way a priority. Oh well. I find 30FPS playable; it's just more about my frustration at having paid good money for a shitty port that should run a lot better than it does, and I don't necessarily want to do that again with Odyssey.

Are you insisting on highest settings or something? Origins should be able to hit 60 pretty easily on a 1070 if you turn some things down. Ubisoft is notorious for having "ultra" settings be way more poorly optimized than "high." I'm pretty sure I watched a benchmark video once for Odyssey that said simply turning clouds down from ultra to high gained like 10fps.

Nope. That's what's so weird and makes me leery of picking up Odyssey. I did a blanket test of all graphics settings in Origins from maxed out to lowest; it had absolutely no effect on my fps rate (mostly 45-60 fps and then periodic drops into single digits). Literally the only settings that I found to make a difference were vsync and frame limiter. I'm really not a graphicswhore, and while Origins is a beautiful looking game, I'd be more than happy to play it on medium or low settings if it improved the performance.

Anyways, Just Cause 2 looks great. I will likely pick it up the next time I spot a sale.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nope. That's what's so weird and makes me leery of picking up Odyssey. I did a blanket test of all graphics settings in Origins from maxed out to lowest; it had absolutely no effect on my fps rate (mostly 45-60 fps and then periodic drops into single digits). Literally the only settings that I found to make a difference were vsync and frame limiter. I'm really not a graphicswhore, and while Origins is a beautiful looking game, I'd be more than happy to play it on medium or low settings if it improved the performance.

Weird. All the Ass-Ass games are processor heavy, so it sounds like you may be CPU limited if graphics settings made little difference.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Edit: Crysis 2 (I enjoyed the shooting parts more than those in the first one)

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Watch Dogs 2 was pretty fun. Besides that I can't think of anything, I play AAA sometimes and they are mostly super shit.

p.s. Get Prey if you haven't already. Don't know if it was AAA, it certainly isn't dumb or shit. It is a modern System Shock and the fact that it was done to such a high standard is a strange anomaly in gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom