Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO3 is not nearly as bad as you hystronic nerds make it out to be

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bethesda release more AAA singleplayer games that are actually incline... Dishonored, nuDoom, Prey, etc.... than any other AAA publisher I can think of.

As a publisher, yes.

But as a developer they have consistently ruined two of my favorite franchises ever since Oblivion, and it doesn't look like their in-house developed games are going to get better anytime soon, judging from Fallout 76.

No matter how good their published titles are, I don't have any hopes for Elder Scrolls VI to be even remotely close to Morrowind in quality.

Duralux for Durabux

Guys I think I made another Bethesda Community Manager angry at me again guys! GUYS!

I'm not a bethesda fan and never will be. I'm just trying to be realistic about it and not failing into the hate train even though i loved daggerfall.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's weird that some people have the attitude of "Well, Bethesda went into this direction with their games now so we gotta live with it."

No we don't. We can bring forth our legitimate criticisms and complain, and explain why we prefer the earlier games (pre-Oblivion TES, oldschool Fallout), and say that we'd prefer Bethesda to go back to those design principles instead of casualizing even further.

What's with the attitude of passive acceptance towards shit you hate?

Duralux for Durabux

Guys I think I made another Bethesda Community Manager angry at me again guys! GUYS!

Edit. Because the idiot has no evidence to support his bullshit.
dungeon-level-design-comparison-ihe-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind-giz4-50052400.png

4OHFNciD.jpg

Now compare Morrowind's level with daggerfall and try to be objective do you?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeniBot

Cipher
You know that you just supported my argument right? Did you forget about the fact you were pushing earlier about Todd's Casualization being a "GOOD THING" and now you're trying to claim its a bad thing.
You completely flipped your argument. dumbass. But hey I agree with myself here, you're right Dagerfall was BETTER. I don't see how that supports your earlier statements in any way other than establish your point about Morrowind being like FF14s corridors an utter fallacy and complete bullshit. Especially when compared to Skyrim linearity. The level design was merely an example of Todd's overall decline which you yourself were pretending wasn't a "BIG DEAL".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As a publisher, yes.

If you meant just Bethesda Game Studios then fair enough. I've been talking about the publisher for a while in the thread, not the developer. I do think that's the source of a ton of rage on this topic though... people hate Bethesda the developer but apply that hate to their entire publishing slate, which is nonsensical.

Max Damage

Savant
Both TES 1 and 2 had good/decent dungeons (besides procedurally generated tumors for random/sidequest ones), you do realize you're only proving his point?

ZeniBot

Cipher
and here comes the departmentalisation bullshit again. BETHESDA ISN'T BETHESDA THEY ARE DIFFERENT ZENIMAX IS DIFFERENT THEY'RE ALL DIFFERENT EVEN IF THEY ALL SUCK ALTMANS DICK.
Their entire publishing branch is just as bad. Look at how they dealt with Akella. Their handling of the Star Trek IP was pure Decline as well.

Its almost like you deflecting cucks work for them or something otherwise you wouldn't be taking our criticisms so personal.

Duralux for Durabux

You know that you just supported my argument right? Did you forget about the fact you were pushing earlier about Todd's Casualization being a "GOOD THING" and now you're trying to claim its a bad thing.
You completely flipped your argument. dumbass. But hey I agree with myself here, you're right Dagerfall was BETTER. I don't see how that supports your earlier statements in any way other than establish your point about Morrowind being like FF14s corridors an utter fallacy and complete bullshit. Especially when compared to Skyrim linearity. The level design was merely an example of Todd's overall decline which you yourself were pretending wasn't a "BIG DEAL".
You stupid retard, i wasn't trying to argue that casualization was good. I was trying to explain why they casualized their series but you come up and didn't understand me right. Besides, Anyone who support morrowind as a Non-casualize rpg is a total retard just like you.The reality is most of you support the casuazilisatoon and morrowind is the proof of that(Daggerfall is rated #53 and morrowind #10 in the codex top rpgs list).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
and here comes the departmentalisation bullshit again. BETHESDA ISN'T BETHESDA THEY ARE DIFFERENT ZENIMAX IS DIFFERENT THEY'RE ALL DIFFERENT EVEN IF THEY ALL SUCK ALTMANS DICK.
Their entire publishing branch is just as bad. Look at how they dealt with Akella. Their handling of the Star Trek IP was pure Decline as well.

Its almost like you deflecting cucks work for them or something otherwise you wouldn't be taking our criticisms so personal.

You lecturing anyone on taking this stuff personal is pretty funny. Your posts are all butthurt rage personified. Show me where Bethesda touched you... "in the Fallout 3."

All I'm doing is saying the publisher Bethesda releases some great games.

Duralux for Durabux

butthurt.png

ZeniBot

Cipher
You lecturing anyone on taking this stuff personal is pretty funny
here's the thing I actually ain't. This account was setup purely to troll cucks like you (I set it up when Skyrim launched- if anyone remembers I was the person that suggested putting the pot on Todd's head). Its pretty obvious if you bothered to read my sig you stupid cuck. Glad to see its working.
Could I be any more obvious? am I gonna need to select a colour that isn't bright pink next time? what would you prefer fluro green? I can arrange that.

ZeniBot

Cipher
. In fact you are no better than someone who loves Fallout 3.
OMG I hate Fallout 3 now

I think I broke him everyone.
He's now entirely supporting my argument. What the fuck just happened. Like no I agree, Morrowind was a downgrade, it was decline, So is Fallout 3. You've completely rejected your original point which is that "Casualization is good because Muh Sales and Normies".
Yes we all know Morrowind was the turning point but it still has elements of what its original vision was. Todd had very little to do with the ground work on Morrowind, the entire project was a handoff to him which rather than adding to it he downsized. That still doesn't stop those smaller components being good, but these were eventually fleeting memories of what was and the true decline would begin once Todd had to make shit up on his own instead of cutting down someone elses work.

Was Morrowind disappointing. Damn right. Its a hilariously fucked game, look at how unbalanced as shit the Balmora economy is, you start leveling in Alchemy in Balmora and you can already max out your character's money and skills- that is STUPID design, but there's aspects of its lore that work well, it has a lot of elements that are still very much from Daggerfall's design philosophies but they're significantly reduced compared to its original vision (all Todd's doing there). Yeah its massive decline but there are far far far far FAR worse examples that Bethesda has put out.

Edit. Lol he deleted his post.

Duralux for Durabux

I think I broke him everyone.
He's now entirely supporting my argument. What the fuck just happened. Like no I agree, Morrowind was a downgrade, it was decline, So is Fallout 3. You've completely rejected your original point which is that "Casualization is good because Muh Sales and Normies".
Yes we all know Morrowind was the turning point but it still has elements of what its original vision was. Todd had very little to do with the ground work on Morrowind, the entire project was a handoff to him which rather than adding to it he downsized. That still doesn't stop those smaller components being good, but these were eventually fleeting memories of what was and the true decline would begin once Todd had to make shit up on his own instead of cutting down someone elses work.

Was Morrowind disappointing. Damn right. Its a hilariously fucked game, look at how unbalanced as shit the Balmora economy is, you start leveling in Alchemy in Balmora and you can already max out your character's money and skills- that is STUPID design, but there's aspects of its lore that work well, it has a lot of elements that are still very much from Daggerfall's design philosophies but they're significantly reduced compared to its original vision (all Todd's doing there). Yeah its massive decline but there are far far far far FAR worse examples that Bethesda has put out.

Edit. Lol he deleted his post.
I supported parts of your argument all along,but you just didn't understood me right, now it's okey. my opinion was when you are a development company you have two options:
-> Target the Hardcore rpg players -> Muh sales
-> Target The Masses -> good sales
As the time goes on, Bethesda has turned their coat and they decided to target the MASSES WITH MORROWIND THAT YOU GUYS ALL SUPPORTED(THIS IS NO TURN EVENT(Bioware,CD Project with witcher 3,etc... (YOU SUPPORT IT THE EVOLUTION FROM THE START OR YOU DECLINE IT (BAD sales)) and then when you discover that "Oh ma god they don't make games for us anymore " , all of u decided to go on the hating machine. I'm sure you were a Bethesda fan back then. I'm just sick of the imbeciles like you, support a company to be that they are now and complain on what they have become. Really disgusting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Just want to point out what the fuck those people are then even doing on a site like this then. If they don't want a discussion about critical aspects then what the fuck are they doing in a THREAD DISCUSSING CRITICAL ASPECTS OF THE GAME! as I've said in the fallout 76 thread. A person that was currently playing games casually wouldn't be posting, they would be playing the damn game. So I have to wonder if this is merely guerrilla marketing and you're all that stupid to fall for it.

This has nothing to do with RPG Codex. The truth is people not present on this site are being called "normalcucks" just because they aren't overly critical of a damn videogame. When did having fun become a crime against humanity? Grow up and play the videogames you like instead of spending your free time shitting on the ones you don't like.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It's like people here are absolutely retards when it comes to business, which is doubly ironic since I suspect most Codexers here are American AND voted for Trump, meaning you didn't see any problem with a business man running your country like a business, but when a developer does the same with videogames suddenly they are worse than Hitler SJWs.

Bethesda didn't buy Fallout because they wanted to make "a real Fallout game", they bought it because they wanted to bank cash, and by all means they succeeded. There hasn't been a single attempt by Bethesda at making a good cRPG. Saying they are bad either means:

1. You are a retard that doesn't understand what business is, or
2. You are a retard that doesn't understand you can't fail at something you haven't even attempted to do.

Bethesda's only fail at handling Fallout was Fallout 76, because it didn't turn out as they expected it to. That's their only actual, real, major fail with the Fallout brand: making a game that many of its loyal customers hated.

Duralux for Durabux

This has nothing to do with RPG Codex. The truth is people not present on this site are being called "normalcucks" just because they aren't overly critical of a damn videogame. When did having fun become a crime against humanity? Grow up and play the videogames you like instead of spending your free time shitting on the ones you don't like.
This, he has to relax, Bethesda has just moved on from theirs interest they are dozens and dozens of companies that still make good games for him.

ZeniBot

Cipher
which is doubly ironic since I suspect most Codexers here are American AND voted for Trump
ORANGE MAN BAD ORANGE MAN BAD
"normalcucks"
Look I'm not allowed to use full terminology here. I have to use the terminology this site will allow. Last time my posts got banished to the black hole. This is me self censoring.
But I would go full power if I could.

ZeniBot

Cipher
I supported parts of your argument all along,but you just didn't understood me right, now it's okey. my opinion was when you are a development company you have two options:
-> Target the Hardcore rpg players -> Muh sales
-> Target The Masses -> good sales
As the time goes on, Bethesda has turned their coat and they decided to target the MASSES WITH MORROWIND THAT YOU GUYS ALL SUPPORTED(THIS IS NO TURN EVENT(Bioware,CD Project with witcher 3,etc... (YOU SUPPORT IT THE EVOLUTION FROM THE START OR YOU DECLINE IT (BAD sales)) and then when you discover that "Oh ma god they don't make games for us anymore " , all of u decided to go on the hating machine. I'm sure you were a Bethesda fan back then. I'm just sick of the imbeciles like you, support a company to be that they are now and complain on what they have become. Really disgusting.

OK you don't seem to be getting that if it wasn't for Morrowind.. the game you hate. THERE WOULD BE NO BETHESDA. Morrowind almost bankrupted them. If it hadn't sold they wouldn't exist anymore. They would be exactly like Origin. Realise too that at the time we didn't know that Todd would turn into such a lying sack of shit. I became aware only once Oblivion had happened. Most people didn't know what Bethesda was like though the ones that knew of them since the Arena days (not me btw because I was a fucking kid at that point!) knew they liked to pull this shit all the time. Do I regret buying Morrowind, damn right. But at the time we didn't know.

Duralux for Durabux

OK you don't seem to be getting that if it wasn't for Morrowind.. the game you hate. THERE WOULD BE NO BETHESDA. Morrowind almost bankrupted them. If it hadn't sold they wouldn't exist anymore. They would be exactly like Origin. Realise too that at the time we didn't know that Todd would turn into such a lying sack of shit. I became aware only once Oblivion had happened. Most people didn't know what Bethesda was like though the ones that knew of them since the Arena days (not me btw because I was a fucking kid at that point!) knew they liked to pull this shit all the time. Do I regret buying Morrowind, damn right. But at the time we didn't know.
I prefer watching a good company dying in peace(or announcing that they target another audience like bethesda did edit: When they announced morrowind on Consoles) than ridiculing themselves with shitty games. And Worst of all you are responsible for the decline by buying theirs games .

Edit: They announced the target audience when they released Morrowind on XBOX this is the starting point of all of this that you SUPPORTED.

ZeniBot

Cipher
1. I didn't buy Morrowind on Console because it didn't exist yet
2. When I did buy Morrowind I WAS A HIGHSCHOOL STUDENT and to be fair my friends pressured me into buying it even though at the time I was more interested in Deus Ex
3. My purchasing of Oblivion was the turning point as at that point I realised Todd was a conartist
4. I hadn't played Daggerfall, Morrowind was my introduction to TES. My first Bethesda game was Skynet which I bought out of a bargain bin for $1.
5. when I had played Daggerfall for the first time (immediately after Oblivion) I realised my mistake, this was down to me having the demo on a magazine, the demo sucked but I eventually downloaded that free copy Bethesda was giving away when Oblivion first came out.

Keep in mind the age I would have had to had been to have played Daggerfall at release. I played the demo version after Morrowind as it came with a magazine, the Demo is a bit shit and doesn't do the final game justice.
I'm sure a lot of people had the same experiences. Now that I'm a lot older I realise the mistakes we made I'm just pissed off at how much damage they did. I massively regret supporting them and I will never ever support them again.

Also keep in mind at the time I was buying the ever living fuck out of Interplay's titles. I supported Interplay far more than Bethesda. I supported Ion Storm far more as well, I bought all their games. Still made no fucking difference.

You're criticising my actions from a time where video games were vastly different things. Everyone on this site is probably guilty of supporting decline in some form. That doesn't excuse how fucking exploitative its all become. Game companies are out to steal your money, but they weren't always. I had a bit more trust of the industry than I do now. I was a naive kid. Shareware spoiled me and made me appreciate the relationships we had with studios at the time. The first warning sign was when they stopped doing Demos. It was around that time that I stopped supporting the industry tbh.

Similar shit happened with Invisible War btw. I bought that game not realising how much of a dud it was. Lot of people fell for that. It was common back then. We know better now what our actions can do and the damage it can do overall to the things we care about if we don't critique and keep things in check.

Last edited:

Duralux for Durabux

2. When I did buy Morrowind I WAS A HIGHSCHOOL STUDENT and to be fair my friends pressured me into buying it even though at the time I was more interested in Deus Ex
They didn't even pressure you into buying(Jagged Alliance 2,planetscape Torment,Fallout1, etc...) your friends have shit tastes.

Also keep in mind at the time I was buying the ever living fuck out of Interplay's titles. I supported Interplay far more than Bethesda. I supported Ion Storm far more as well, I bought all their games. Still made no fucking difference
Interplay released the amazing game Fallout Brotherhood of Steel in exchange to your efforts (and your wallets)(totally worth it ) (Huge Incline).

3. My purchasing of Oblivion was the turning point as at that point I realised Todd was a conartist
4. I hadn't played Daggerfall, Morrowind was my introduction to TES. My first Bethesda game was Skynet which I bought out of a bargain bin for $1.
5. when I had played Daggerfall for the first time (immediately after Oblivion) I realised my mistake, this was down to me having the demo on a magazine, the demo sucked but I eventually downloaded that free copy Bethesda was giving away when Oblivion first came out.

Keep in mind the age I would have had to had been to have played Daggerfall at release. I played the demo version after Morrowind as it came with a magazine, the Demo is a bit shit and doesn't do the final game justice.
I'm sure a lot of people had the same experiences. Now that I'm a lot older I realise the mistakes we made I'm just pissed off at how much damage they did. I massively regret supporting them and I will never ever support them again.

Also keep in mind at the time I was buying the ever living fuck out of Interplay's titles. I supported Interplay far more than Bethesda. I supported Ion Storm far more as well, I bought all their games. Still made no fucking difference.

I'm Sorry,I didn't know all the story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom