Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship Combat Beta Thread

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'd shoot them until they die ...

On a serious note, just identify the most dangerous foe and kill him, then, finish off the rabble.
Also, early feat choices matter.

Although, sometimes it's better to kill at least one easy target first if you can do so in two shots, then kicks in the +6AP + 50% chances to crit and you use that wisely.

Seriousy dude, I don't belive you can win 4th figh as rifleman without massive reloads, it fucking nightmare.

Please someone make a video or at least screenshot if know how.

:rage:
Reaction fire lead to losing bonus AP frm Bloodlust.

Last edited:

Technomancer

Liturgist
Don't forget about rusty cobra which is a reasonable middle ground and drops relatively early.
I didn't and yet I forgot if I actually used it already.

Seriousy dude, I don't belive you can win 4th figh as rifleman without massive reloads, it fucking nightmare.
If you can't win something, go and buy stasis or high-gas grenade. It will fuck you over later but it will be a problem for the future you.

Thanks to our nagging in the early testing, you can disable reaction shots in the current version.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Please someone make a video or at least screenshot if know how.

:rage:

If it's of any comfort, the Brotherhood fight (7th or 8th with 5 guys, Brother Aaron & cie) gave me a hard time, beat it the first time but with loosing Halstom, i had to pick Mason instead but for some reason, it's a miracle when he can act even once, even when starting under cover.
So, i used a low grade gas grenade and then a flashbang and could finally do it with loosing Mason.

On the bright side, main character already has 5 evade skill, 4 armor, 6 crit and 7 rifle (almost 8) ... Epic fight.

I usually use leg shot and then either snap shot if i can kill the target (if THC > 65%) or the other one reducing target's accuracy.
Of course, i'd adapt the strategy, if the situation is dire i'm not taking chances with snap shot if THC isn't 75+

Deleted Member 22431

Elhoim, does the healing factor heroic feat (10 CON) restore the negative stats caused by that healing item? If it doesn't, it should.

Also, the healing factor feat doesn't restore your HP outside combat and it should.

Binky

Cipher
True but it exactly what Big Jim is all about. You want to eliminate him first but he's the one tough motherfucker. Usually I kill some of his goons first anyway, BG's too fat (and using at least mid-grade gas grenade).
Jimbo tells you if your build is tall enough to ride. Used an upgraded distortion field, a low-grade gas grenade, and a low-grade smoke grenade on Tiny & crew. A critical head strike took cca. 20 points off Jimmy. The gas weakened him and reaction strikes further depleted his dwindling HP. Come round two he was the first to die.

Sizable James fight
fR6V93y.jpg

fIgrKu2.jpg
Breezed through the game with a bladed build. This is probably just my lack of ranged combat experience talking, but I found them really powerful. Wanted to wear riot armor, but those evasion penalties were brutal. Should have tagged armor and put more points into strength.

Final stats & equipment
sINsuZc.jpg

Gear before the Winfield fight

oIvlhuL.jpg

Stats after the Winfield fight
Got a question: is activating the gadget before starting combat (during placement) by design or a bug? 'Cause it's a very powerful move if your enemies act before you. Would also be nice to find out who's who in the turn order list. Kinda hard when it's three guys labeled gunman. I'm very pleased to report that after four runs the game hasn't crashed once.

Deleted Member 22431

Breezed through the game with a bladed build. This is probably just my lack of ranged combat experience talking, but I found them really powerful. Wanted to wear riot armor, but those evasion penalties were brutal. Should have tagged armor and put more points into strength.
High STR removes the penalties, but you have to make so many sacrifices in DEX and PER that isn't worth it. Also, you have to invest in evasion and use companions and all that, because the build is an easy target early on. Later on, it is probably powerful, but you suffer. The fact that the heroic feat tied to STR is dogshit doesn't help. Melee builds require less micromanagement and are more intuitive to play, but only with high PER and DEX.

jackofshadows

Magister
Guys, is there a online character builder?
How exactly do you imagine it with learn by doing system? :) You have 16 stat points to distribute with a 4 as a base line, 1 tagged skill by default w/o int bonuses, 3 skills to raise by 1 and a starting feat. That's it. The rest "building" is just picking a feat each level up. The list of feats would be nice to look at outside of the game though.
Got a question: is activating the gadget before starting combat (during placement) by design or a bug?
Intentional. It's a very cool way to save low initiative companions from certain death, yeah.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Elhoim, does the healing factor heroic feat (10 CON) restore the negative stats caused by that healing item? If it doesn't, it should.

It does, also removes the ones from the aggro stim.

Also, the healing factor feat doesn't restore your HP outside combat and it should.

We'll look into it.

Got a question: is activating the gadget before starting combat (during placement) by design or a bug? 'Cause it's a very powerful move if your enemies act before you.

By design, you can see that the enemies who have gadgets also activate them before the fight starts.

Would also be nice to find out who's who in the turn order list. Kinda hard when it's three guys labeled gunman. I'm very pleased to report that after four runs the game hasn't crashed once.

Will be in the next update, along with the initiative values.

Binky

Cipher
By design, you can see that the enemies who have gadgets also activate them before the fight starts.
Yeah, I completely forgot about them. Gonna be interesting when pulse grenades come into play. My precious distortion gadget's gonna get fried.

Latelistener

Arcane
Can you guys please disable quick save during combat?
It should be disabled in the latest build.
I don't think it's fixed. I can quick save in combat and load. I haven't even tried that before the latest patch, but it's still there.

Also that new item stat popup animation is getting in the way. I don't know what's the problem, but it's constantly showing me wrong item stats.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Solo Pistolero
sHdFib2.jpg

geEaUGe.jpg
This was harder than melee IMO. I was a better player this build and I used the tagged skills and upgraded my gadgets unlike my Solo Blunt ... but Pistolero does not have the same damage output as solo blunt, and relies on ammo. I had to buy ammo quite a few times. Should never have sold the Energy Pistol either, I haven't actually fired it once yet in the game yet. In my solo blunt playthrough I didn't need to use as many grenades as I did in this build (I think I used 2-3 extra ones this time around). I only used pistols, never used anything else - not how I played in my Solo Blunt and not how you would play the actual game, I'm sure.

Colt Classic was a big jump from any of the other pistols before it, I actually don't really rate any of the other pistols in the demo apart from the two I'm holding. The multi-barrel / short range ones have some use early on but then I found that they became useless after Big Jim because their penetration through armor sucks plus they have high AP cost and it's just not worth using them.

I used the Deflection Shield (?) instead of the Energy Shield for this build and upgraded it to the 55%, I tried the Energy Shield but didn't feel like it really helped that much as enemies often flank you, maybe it's better when it's upgraded though.

In hindsight I would tag armor instead of Critical Strike for the extra point in Armor, just to get that bit of extra survivability which I think is worth a lot more than 1% CS. I made some saves and experimented with a couple of other feats ... I tried Sharpshooter as 7th but didn't feel it had any impact and reloaded and picked Lone Wolf and it made a difference in the final fight for sure, the extra 5 CS helped me get a couple of super crits early on ... and then I killed Winfield with my very last .45 bullet (0/0) in both guns after I missed him 5 times in a row before a final graze to kill (True Random UL).

I used four of the same feats as my other build: Fast Runner, Second Wind, Tough Bastard and Lone Wolf. I found that Charger was super useful for positioning and flanking and I think Opportunist was helpful reducing incoming damage as staggers reduce enemy AP on their next turn. Second Wind was still good, but not AS good as with Solo Blunt because of the lower damage output there was less of a snowball effect. I think both Opportunist and Second Wind could be swapped out for the Initiative one and maybe the dodge feat and performance would be similar.

In the fight positioning I still used the most forward positioning most of the time to optimize my hit chance, and Charger made it possible to start in a close square and then move back behind cover at the end of the turn. I can see how playing defensive works for Riflemen but I find that for other guns you really need to be up in the enemy's grill to have the most impact. I feel a bit less bad about cover after this playthrough, finishing your turn at least with cover from *some* of the enemies is almost always better than standing out in the open and an enemy Rifleman behind cover is annoying.

I think maybe there's some room for a cover-based feat for people who want to play as a popamole.

Hardest fights for this build were (in guesstimated order):

Big Jim (needed a flashbang, medium gas and aggro stim to win this)
Carter
Clarence Manley
Mutants / the early fight with the Distortion Basher cunt

I found Mutants harder as Solo Blunt, although if I had tagged skills and upgraded my deflection shield in that playthrough maybe I wouldn't have. I found everything after Carter a lot easier. The Carter fight would actually be much harder if he didn't do dumb shit like throw a smoke, run and then not shoot at you - which he does if you start on certain squares. In both my completed playthroughs he has had a higher initiative than me, and all he needs to do is shoot straight off the bat at you at close range, and and that would probably cause an early g_g 100 re

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

I tried Sharpshooter as 7th but didn't feel it had any impact and reloaded and picked Lone Wolf and it made a difference in the final fight for sure
Are you mad? Lone wolf is one of the most op feats!

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Decided to join the hammer club. Big Jim was extra hard (took like ten reloads), but I breezed pretty much through every other fight. Was barely using any armor, niggas couldn't even touch me.

20200421142039-1.jpg

20200421143201-1.jpg

Also, spotted another scripting error Nick
20200421143300-1.jpg

Trash Player

Scholar
Lone Wolf is a big bundle sales that can range from a crazy deal if you can use everything in it to just a good deal if you can only use some.
Initiative can be an overkill, crit is of limited use to but some builds. Evasion and reaction alone make a good perk but not neccessarily "the pick".

hilfazer

Scholar
I've lost Billy in a fight. After the fight i could tell mr Justice i need a replacement. But i chose "We'll talk later" instead.
When we talked later i could not ask him for replacement anymore. It sucks since one more dude makes a big difference in next battle (assassing with 2 bodyguards).

And so ended the journey of my first hero, Zachariah the Basher. My next guy is Clellan the Slasher and he's doing much better. He even managed to save Mason in the assassin fight.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I tried Sharpshooter as 7th but didn't feel it had any impact and reloaded and picked Lone Wolf and it made a difference in the final fight for sure
Are you mad? Lone wolf is one of the most op feats!

I felt there are other more useful perks if your char has high dex already.

I feel it need some buffing in one of the stats to make it really worth it over other perks even if going solo.

Trash Player

Scholar
And so ended the journey of my first hero, Zachariah the Basher.

Ironman?

No, my guy just couldn't win alone. I also didn't know where to buy grenades.

The general store beside the doc. All companions outside party wait by the gate of the court, just beneath the judge.
You can recruit Mason by the fifth fight there even if Billy survives, there is just no script for Judge to offer Mason in this case as Mason was indeed a replacement in earlier versions.

Last edited:

Technomancer

Liturgist
So you can still get Mason after that fight if Billy survives it or you refuse to take him with you before it?
They hang out below, you just need to talk to them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom