Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gyor

Savant
Like we've discussed before, you turn into a vegetable after several hours of being infected with the tadpole and then die completely. You don't have weeks. It takes a week for your dead body to transform into a mindflayer, sure, but that's different.

You don't die at all, Mindflayers aren't a form of Undead.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
I think in Dark Sun II you could end the suffering of some Prisoners that were going to Ceremorphosis ? IIRC there was much screaming and threshing around ?

Edit:
Looked it up, I misremembered, just a lot of controlled Slaves to kill.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Like we've discussed before, you turn into a vegetable after several hours of being infected with the tadpole and then die completely. You don't have weeks. It takes a week for your dead body to transform into a mindflayer, sure, but that's different.

That and mindflayers reproduce from tadpoles growing and developing into adult mindflayers, not by infecting others with tadpole parasites, which is an apocryphal post-TSR invention.

"Mind flayers have a lifespan of about 125 years. They are warm-blooded amphibians, and spend the first 10 years of life in a tadpole state, swimming in the pool of the elder-brain until they either die (which most do) or grow into a fully developed illithid. lllithid are sexless; each flayer is capable of producing offspring (twice per lifetime, once every 20 years)."
- Monstrous Compendium, AD&D 2nd edition, 1989

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

They do eat your brain, which usually causes people to die. You can argue the tadpole replaces your brain and you (or more specifically your body) never technically die, but there is nothing that makes you you anymore.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

That and mindflayers reproduce from tadpoles growing and developing into adult mindflayers, not by infecting others with tadpole parasites, which is an apocryphal post-TSR invention.

"Mind flayers have a lifespan of about 125 years. They are warm-blooded amphibians, and spend the first 10 years of life in a tadpole state, swimming in the pool of the elder-brain until they either die (which most do) or grow into a fully developed illithid. lllithid are sexless; each flayer is capable of producing offspring (twice per lifetime, once every 20 years)."
The mindflayer life cycle was first detailed in TSR's The Illithiad (1998) so you can't blame WotC for this one.
Edit: read about the book here if you doubt the content.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

You're dead. Your brain is replaced with the mindflayer.

This is still true. Illithid that don't get put into a host keep growing and become neothelids(sp?). I'd have to go review the material but I believe Illithid refers to any of the species and not specifically ones that have been implanted in humanoid hosts.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There's only one neothelid that can spawn from an elder brain pool because this usually happens to a destroyed colony and the surviving tadpoles eat each other until there's only 1 left. The Illithids consider them abominations.

Elex

Arbiter
Wait for the 28 new stuff incoming.
Probally not the early access date.

Where did you get the 28th date?
The elex told me.

also for who don’t belive how big is 5e: https://screenrant.com/dungeons-dragons-best-year-sales-ever-wizards-coast/

Dungeons-And-Dragons-Offical-Infographic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Elex

Arbiter
It's kind of a good thing D&D's popularity is going up, isn't it? I'm kinda excited about it.
It’s easier to actually play D&D, if you are a DM you can find a group of people you like and remove who don’t like and ignore them.
And that also mean you can convince them to play others ttrpg after they played for some time.

Cael

Arcane
It's kind of a good thing D&D's popularity is going up, isn't it? I'm kinda excited about it.
It’s easier to actually play D&D, if you are a DM you can find a group of people you like and remove who don’t like and ignore them.
And that also mean you can convince them to play others ttrpg after they played for some time.
Kinda hard with the ongoing lockdown, plus, I am not sure if I really want to meet Codexians in real life ;)

Harthwain

Magister
Kinda hard with the ongoing lockdown, plus, I am not sure if I really want to meet Codexians in real life ;)
Aren't most of the Codexians in a different group (3.5) than the people who are playing DnD nowadays (5.0)?

Cael

Arcane
Aren't most of the Codexians in a different group (3.5) than the people who are playing DnD nowadays (5.0)?
HERESY!!! There is no DnD after 3.5. Burn the witch!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
From what I gathered from this thread:
- most codexians don't play PnP and aren't familiar with rulesets outside of what they learnt playing crpgs;
- (this derives from the first point) many of those codexians who are somehow familiar with D&D are still attached to 2th edition AD&D, because that's what they used in their favorite games, and see even 3E as irrimediable decline.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
3 and 3.5 were pretty fucking shit to play as actual tabletop games though. Way too bloated. There are better, more elegant systems. 3.5 works best when a computer keeps track of everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom