Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
FWIW I'm not using a guide -

But yes, solved it: I didn't realise there was any purpose in doing the optional "coin" areas. They're the field nodes on the map from BG. I get that now. Found Jubilost in the very first one I thought I'd try. Nice.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fucking yes I'd forgotten how good the "field" maps of BG were. They give a really spare road-movie type sense to it. Great with a cup of tea on a Saturday afternoon when the boy has finally gone down for the fucking nap.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Turn on Show Location Names on upper right of map. Will give you red exclamation points for stuff like Jub so you don't miss them.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Latest version of Call of the Wild incorporates Advanced Martial Arts

AMA was great mod for martial focused characters which is unfortunately buggy after not being updated for several patch

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But.. but...but.. That's her best friend. Of whom she's been with for all her life. The one person that she deeply cares about in that tribe. The one person she loves. Amiri may be a big bitch at times, and a bit rough. But it isn't fair for her to lose her friend like that. That friend was all she really had in that god forsaken tribe.

Even IF you weren't feeling suicidal. You CAN convince the stupid chief to kill himself instead.

Heck even if the evil brother does come back, you CAN kill him.

The other chief was not there, I assume because I let Amari kill him ages ago. My character has no idea how destructive the ghosts would be, and how many lives she'd be putting at risk. Letting one woman die to spare the kingdom is obviously the lesser evil, and again... not suicidal.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Am I over-leveled for War of the River Kingdoms at 15? I literally don't even have to play tactically anymore, the AI just cuts through everything on default attacks. Playing on "challenging."

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you build correctly there'll be a drop in difficulty in the mid-game

I made a couple mistakes like giving Harrim flail mastery, but overall I think I did well yeah. I focused almost purely on DPS, which made which feats to pick pretty easy. I am faaaar from the expert some in this thread are though, so I worry about those who found "normal" too hard, since I'm on "challenging."

Yosharian

Arcane

I made a couple mistakes like giving Harrim flail mastery, but overall I think I did well yeah. I focused almost purely on DPS, which made which feats to pick pretty easy. I am faaaar from the expert some in this thread are though, so I worry about those who found "normal" too hard, since I'm on "challenging."
There's some nice flails actually

Flail crit range is trash though

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

19-20/x2 on heavy flail is not garbage. Simply not optimal. But yeah, there are some nice heavy flails.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
ZMJ81Ng.png

Playing a human Feyspeaker, I thought this was p. cool.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I have used Mallet of Woe for over half the game, so it's been a pretty big waste. I also ended up using hammers and axes with Amari a lot as well, so her sword mastery was a waste too. When the game started I thought it would be much easier to stick with a specific weapon type for each character, but great weapons are pretty hard to come by in the game (in my experience). I don't want to be an asshole and put it down to normal to respec though.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
I've had a bad case overthinking stuff in vidyagaems.
And I can't imagine a better place to share it, to get it out of my system.

Every time I launched Kingmaker, this envelope seemed somewhat wrong to me:

thMhGH7.jpg

The seal looks out of place, because it does not prevent the paper from being unfolded and as such does nothing to ensure confidentiality of the message.
Placed like this, it could only serve as a kind of signature, a "royal stamp".
But then what is the point of the rope cord?
What's worse, anyone with a sharp knife and a candle can just cut the seal right off; and then reattach it to any fraud document.

After a brief consideration, I believe that the cord is supposed to bind the top and the bottom flaps together.
And the seal covers the binding spot.
This way to open the envelope you have to either pull the rope out (it's even additionally chipped) breaking the seal in the process;
or cut the rope between flaps without a chance to hide your tampering due to the seal holding the cut-out ends.

So I guess the envelope was alright after all. )
I dunno, maybe it's an obvious thing to anyone who deals with paper envelops, but kudos to Owlcat artists if they knew what they are doing, and not just painted a sealed envelope.

Yosharian

Arcane
Did Owlcat implement the 24h period for enhancement items becoming permanent? I'm not getting bonus spells from equipping enhancement items to e.g. Intelligence, weird

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Okay Pitax castle had some challenging fights in it. Mainly the big hallway with literally 30 dudes in it, half of them targeting Linzi as soon as the battle starts no matter what you do (they even follow her if she runs out of the room). Definitely had to buff everyone for that fight, and cheese it a little bit by luring them all to the southern door to box them in and limit Linzi's vulnerability. The fight immediately after with the king was a joke compared, lasted like 5 seconds. Fun stuff overall, though the Linzi thing felt a little weird.

Desiderius

Patron
Some results from testing new Wrath classes in Depths:

Overrun Mastodon.jpg

Hunter pet Mastodon uses shared (with his pet, like Sacred Huntmaster ability) Teamwork feats effectively to trigger things like Coordinated Shot (which requires ranged feats so would usually be difficult to get on a melee toon) for whole party. Here pet uses his Overrun ability to get in position to trigger flanking (Proper Flanking mod) and get in back to avoid providing Soft Cover for enemies.

Aldori MC lvl 6 Swordplay Upset Disarm.jpg

This very interesting interplay is from Martial Arts mod now included in Call of the Wild I believe. MC can Disarm almost anything with help from Dazzling Strike spell and other good CMB support from mods (Disarm replaces single attack/AoO instead of burning Standard Action), then when Disarmed mob attacks and misses Swordplay Upset triggers automatic Improved Feint, making him a flat-footed sitting duck for the AoOs his Unarmed (from Disarm) Strike triggers.

CoverBlindness Flatfoot.jpg

The usual way to get things flat-footed is to Blind them with Dirty Trick on Mastodon (Call of the Wild lets you get feats on pets), and with the summons from my Occulist giving all the mobs Soft Cover it's necessary. Improved Precise Shot will now be a must have feat, but it will take awhile for Hunter to get there.

Dirty Trick not enough yet.jpg

When Mastodon gets big his Dirty Trick will be more of a sure thing (and he'll eventually get Quick Dirty Trick as well). You can see that skill monkey Investigator is a very effective tripper, which she uses to get more attacks with her Studied Combat.

Buffed Howling AgonyMisfortune.jpg

Took me awhile to figure out play pattern for Shaman (Witch). You use your Move Action for Chant/Cackle, then add a new Hex each round. That means you're not doing much casting/attacking in combat so can build accordingly. You still have medium armor so can use a reach weapon to get AoOs and flank stuff. CotW shows rerolls. Misfortune is Harrim's Touch of Chaos at range (and with infinite duration from Chant), and you can see Arcanist buffs his DC and using a Persistent Rod to make mobs reroll Saves that they pass. Brutal.

Crichton

Prophet
I was using the latest version of both. I have uninstalled the mod manager and the TB mod. I'm now playing with rtwp on my old save. The thing with the mod manager was that it would crash the game before I even got to the main menu. The times it did work, I had no actual problems playing the game with turn-based combat. I suppose that it is not a big loss. RtWP combat seem well implemented in this game.
I had this issue with the game in full screen mode. Switchong to 'full width windowed mode' or some such resolved it for me.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Very late response, but thank you. This solved my issue.

Another question. Where do the DLCs fit in the story. Is there a proper time during the campaign when you should start them?

Happy to help. I don't have much to say about the DLC, the endless dungeons one came out after I'd finished my first playthrough, and I just made it to chapter 2 in my 2nd. With the demon waifu chicks' quest and the Varnhold mini-campaign it doesn't seem to matter much.

On that subject, I started a 2nd playthrough with the turn-based mod and the closer-to-table-top mod and so far, it's a nice upgrade. As with deadfire, the switch to TB allows you to actually observe what's happening instead of the screen just exploding in visual effects while the log scrolls by at 200 kph. I'm having a lot more fun with it even though this playthrough will take even longer. Sadly it's not all sunshine and roses; I have yet to have an encounter without some lost actions due to movement glitches (it seems like the movement circles don't deal well with obstacles and the rules for interpenetration of allies are kind of fucky). The cover system in CTT has some weird ideas about partial cover as well, but it's worth it because the cover system does a lot to cut down on the ranged/reach bullshit from vanilla. At some point, I might start turning it off for all the bullshit 'two bandits with bows', '3 starving goblins' or 'one thylacine' encounters, but so far, it's a breath of fresh air; I've kept it on for everything.

Desiderius

Patron
the switch to TB allows you to actually observe what's happening instead of the screen just exploding in visual effects while the log scrolls by at 200 kph

Are you familiar with the Autopause menu or the "V" button?

The DLCs include a lot of quality of life improvements as well.

Crichton

Prophet
the switch to TB allows you to actually observe what's happening instead of the screen just exploding in visual effects while the log scrolls by at 200 kph

I think 'pause at end of round' worked great in the IE games; in general, RTwP in the IE games sort of worked because pretty much everything except auto-attacking took the same six second round and AD&D 2E wasn't built around complex trade-offs between movement and attacking. As far as I'm concerned, RTWP in NWN2, Deadfire and Kingmaker with all their different buffs, debuffs, free actions, attacks of opportunity, etc, is 100% unmitigated garbage; I still played through all of the them, but the TB version of Deadfire takes a gigantic dump over all three and even the glitchy TB mod of Kingmaker is vastly superior to the base game.

Desiderius

Patron

I think 'pause at end of round' worked great in the IE games; in general, RTwP in the IE games sort of worked because pretty much everything except auto-attacking took the same six second round and AD&D 2E wasn't built around complex trade-offs between movement and attacking. As far as I'm concerned, RTWP in NWN2, Deadfire and Kingmaker with all their different buffs, debuffs, free actions, attacks of opportunity, etc, is 100% unmitigated garbage; I still played through all of the them, but the TB version of Deadfire takes a gigantic dump over all three and even the glitchy TB mod of Kingmaker is vastly superior to the base game.

So in other words, you are unfamiliar with the autopause options. If the combat log is flying by you're doing it (very) wrong. You can advance time slowly using the "v" button which lets you react to whatever you choose (I end up watching the combat log like a text-only MUD) or you can turn on all the autopause stops then remove the ones which annoy you. In neither case will the Combat Log be flying by.

Please learn to play the game as designed before advising others.

Preference for TB seems top some down in many cases to a case of

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
2nd playthrough with the turn-based mod and the closer-to-table-top mod
That's how tabletoppers set the difficulty to "Story mode".

Closer to Tabletop/Proper Flanking actually up the difficulty a good amount.

Still can't figure out why they need a computer to play tabletop instead of just playing tabletop.

Crichton

Prophet
So in other words, you are unfamiliar with the autopause options. If the combat log is flying by you're doing it (very) wrong. You can advance time slowly using the "v" button which lets you react to whatever you choose (I end up watching the combat log like a text-only mud) or you can turn on all the autopause stops then remove the ones which annoy you. In neither case will the Combat Long be flying by.

Please learn to play the game as designed before advising others.
So there's still 20 odd creatures acting simultaneously, but fear not, you can slow time down 30x? Presumably there's some demand for this because the pillars games have that speed bar, but I don't get the pitch here; what's the advantage in having the same crappy experience take longer? Simultaneous movement is cancer; they tried the same thing in table-top war games in the 70's, a failed experiment.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Closer to Tabletop/Proper Flanking actually up the difficulty a good amount.
Does the A.I. know about "Proper Flaking", though? Or does it loose all flanking attacks because the only flanking it is programmed to do is by attacking one target by several mobs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom