Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3 remake)

Ninjerk

Arcane
lol what a butthurt little bitch

53uk78.png
He rated me for calling out the pedo art style in this game.

Mojobeard

Augur
I haven't played the original, but based on the demo I'll probably use Hawkeye, Kevin and Chawwotte. Holy jRPG trinity of thief, oogabooga, and a retard.

It's very obvious they didn't direct the voice actors at all. Most are doing a fine job, but it's just very inconsistent. Duran's is really the only one who I didn't cringe at.
There's also this thing where if you skip dialogue (because you read through it faster than the VA's get their third syllable in), all the animation that plays before the next line also gets skipped. So you have to listen to all of it, or miss half of what happens in the cutscenes. Really poorly thought out.
Otherwise, considering the half a noodle package budget, it's pretty good.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My copy actually shipped yestetday. I hope to have it early next week. Reviews seem to be more or less what I expected.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I haven't played the original, but based on the demo I'll probably use Hawkeye, Kevin and Chawwotte. Holy jRPG trinity of thief, oogabooga, and a retard.

It's very obvious they didn't direct the voice actors at all. Most are doing a fine job, but it's just very inconsistent. Duran's is really the only one who I didn't cringe at.
There's also this thing where if you skip dialogue (because you read through it faster than the VA's get their third syllable in), all the animation that plays before the next line also gets skipped. So you have to listen to all of it, or miss half of what happens in the cutscenes. Really poorly thought out.
Otherwise, considering the half a noodle package budget, it's pretty good.

Charlotte's VA is so ridiculous that it made me decide then and there to get it and play it in English. It is really something to, uh, behold? What's the auditory equivalent... anyway, point is when that thing opened its mouth I could not believe what I was hearing! :D

Ent

Savant
Its the baby speech + boston accent that really threw me for a loop.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
This guy is still sperging on my posts. I've never seen someone so butthurt over getting a retard rating on their comment. No wonder he has a dumbfuck tag :lol:

VMNbeZO.png

On topic: I finally decided to play the demo to completion today since the game comes out tomorrow. All of my excitement was definitely justified. You can tell that this game is the result of much love and respect for the original game. It's everything I could have wanted from a remake. The music is especially impressive. I'm loving everything so far. The combat is also a big improvement. The original had decent enough combat, but waiting for your stamina to go back up to 100% between swings was a little slow and boring compared to the remake. The heavy focus on spacing also made it extremely easy to avoid taking damage. I could run through most of the original without taking a single hit outside of boss battles. In the remake even rabbites are managing to get a hit on me every now and again. 10/10 from what I've seen so far.

If only the FF7 remake had stayed as true to the original as this does :negative:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Here's the one nitpicky thing I can find to complain about. Clipping in games is extremely annoying. 20 years ago I really would have thought we'd have decent physics or something to fix this in games by now.

wVBvnSz.png

Ent

Savant
So from what I've played so far they sped up the experience curve of the game by quiet a bit. You get your first class change fairly early and if it keeps up like this you will actually have a fair amount of time to play with the third classes unlike in the original.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I played the original around 4 to 5 times and in only 1 of those did I actually get any use out of the third classes because they were such a pain to grind for and take. If you play like a normal person you would end up easily 5 levels or so too low to class change by the end.

Ent

Savant
You will have to actively dodge stuff later in the game as bosses and even regular enemies will be able to obliterate you in a few hits.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The combat's fairly legit, you do have to roll around like a spaz to avoid damage. Lots of enemies have wide AoE's around themselves and if you don't get the fuck away you're locked into a long knockdown recovery. Dodge is pretty responsive tho.

My party is Duran, Angela, and Riesz. So no healer, yay, that's been interesting.

They made it so Angela's spells require certain stats which I believe is new. So no just pumping Int, you have to take Stamina if you want earth and Luck if you want air spells. Not sure how I feel about that once the classes open up.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
My party is Duran, Angela, and Riesz. So no healer, yay, that's been interesting.

Same party here with everyone going dark/dark. I figure items can make up for lack of healer and Riesz's buffing class. Hasn't been bad so far but it's certainly expensive. Hooray for the night market.

Dyskolos

Cipher
The combat's fairly legit, you do have to roll around like a spaz to avoid damage. Lots of enemies have wide AoE's around themselves and if you don't get the fuck away you're locked into a long knockdown recovery. Dodge is pretty responsive tho.

The annoyance here is the camera - with the big AOEs you sometimes need two rolls to get out of range but the idiot camera swivels so swiftly with the first - reorienting input directions - that my second roll occasionally just puts me back where I started. Or maybe I roll too spastically.

Fun fact - Charlotte's retawd speak is toned down in the French subs to the point of being tolerable. I had been on the verge of restarting.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The difficulty comes from the retarded AI but only if you play on hardmode.

Do not expect much challenge going in and if you ever played a normal Action game, play on hard. The Story is as whimsical as most SNES style RPGs are it's cute and not pretty elaborate but it gets the Job done. Some of the things you have to do to progress are pretty old gamedesign, like talking to a lot of Random npcs, couple with still old but not that old big markers on who to exactly you have to talk with. Better than in the original though were you have to just search for the one random NPCs.

Overall it is a fairly well made Remake, they have at least stayed very close to the original in nearly all parts and pepped up the things that were lacking due to it being 3D now. Definitely worth buying if you like relatively simple but fun action RPGs in the anime style.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I'm a little butthurt that it's not getting enough sales to hit the new and trending page on Steam. I really want to see this game do well and more games like it get made as a result. Steam reviews are at 90% positive.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Bought it the moment I saw it on Steam yesterday.

The sequel to this one, Legend of Mana, is one of my all time favorites. Not sure I would want a 3D remake however because the beautiful 2D art style is a part of the the appeal of that game to me.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Bought it the moment I saw it on Steam yesterday.

The sequel to this one, Legend of Mana, is one of my all time favorites. Not sure I would want a 3D remake however because the beautiful 2D art style is a part of the the appeal of that game to me.

I argued the exact same on the steam boards. It's one of the rare cases a remaster would be preferable over a remake. LoM is indeed a very uniquely beautiful game.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
How many okay boomer responses did you get for advocating for 2d visuals?
huh?

none. It kind of depends on where you post and how. Not all young people hate 2D there are just a lot of retards around, everywhere.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So,.... why does Kevin speak normal? Especially since Charlotte is still mostly the same.

Was this something the fan translation added on its own?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom