Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM: Chimera Squad - humans and aliens team up

Mazisky

Magister
0cct46czbru41.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This. Typical millenial writing. Everything is funny, bubbly, pseudo-witty banter.

"Hey pal! Hey buddy! I brought fish curry for the team! Hahaha, well done buddy!"

This is how coddled SoCal teenagers in 30 year old bodies write like.

That was my main fear. Read a review that said exactly this too. I can't stand millenial/zoomer writing that infects everything now. Everything is a joke regardless of setting.

I understand this is a spin-off and nuXcom had its jokes, but they tone was still rather somber and serious.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's not THAT obvious, not even Berkeley hatched SoCal femyns aren't that retarded. Yet.

Give it time. In before one of the organizations has its leader use a codename known as "D.R.U.M.P.F." SJWs cannot into subtlety and shitting on Trump is something they do every fucking time, regardless of the medium, setting, age rating, etc.
You cannot really blame them when he is such a low hanging fruit with his retard statements. Like how he didn't know that antibiotics are not used vs viruses or how he wanted doctors to find a way to kill coronavirus inside bodies by somehow projecting UV rays inside patients bodies...

lightbane

Arcane
You cannot really blame them when he is such a low hanging fruit with his retard statements. Like how he didn't know that antibiotics are not used vs viruses or how he wanted doctors to find a way to kill coronavirus inside bodies by somehow projecting UV rays inside patients bodies...

I know, but the alternatives are even worse. Then there's Spain. :negative:

But I digress. I'll wait for more info from fellow Codexers to see what kind of endgame this thing has.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, I take the chances of having a plot-twist where you're actually the authoritarian, repressive bad guys is near-zero then, right? You just happen to fight white males terrorists
It's not THAT obvious, not even Berkeley hatched SoCal femyns aren't that retarded. Yet.

So far I learned there are 3 potential eevul groups that you have to investigate and so far none of them seems too much on the nose altright-shitlord-incel-whitemale equivalent. But the undertones are p. clear.
Well. The very first enemy with dialogue actually is right on the nose. 2/3 of the posters in this thread should immediately adopt this guy as their avatar.

After clobbering him and his cell it does indeed give you the 3 different groups to pursue, which I like. There is some d*versity here - factions with women, aliens, bestiality dudes - but I notice that both humans pictured are resoundingly white. When I saw the promos I thought this might be a world where humanity was more blended together racially which is why the white guy looked tanned, but nope.

Lastly, among the featured cutscene NPCs is a right-wing commentator who happens to be Sectoid. I hope to see a lot more of this guy. So far he isn't portrayed in a particularly flattering or unflattering light; it's simply a welcome twist on the usual "news anchors deliver worldbuilding exposition to the player". There's a lot to complain about in the writing but having media commentary with multiple viewpoints is a very cool idea.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
Lastly, among the featured cutscene NPCs is a right-wing commentator who happens to be Sectoid. I hope to see a lot more of this guy. So far he isn't portrayed in a particularly flattering or unflattering light; it's just a welcome twist on the usual "news anchors deliver worldbuilding exposition to the player". There's a lot to complain about in the writing but having media commentary with multiple viewpoints is a very cool idea.
Floyd is sectoid Alex Jones. He even sounds like Alex Jones. And I love him.

lightbane

Arcane
It's quite something how nearly everyone in the Chimera team, alien or not, are so hideously ugly. I guess SJWs hate beauty due projection.
Also, what kind of "research" minigame is to be done here? Besides better flashbang grenades and other such equipment, this squad should have access to plasma weaponry and the like unless XCOM lost everything because reasons.

Mazisky

Magister
So, if one of your units got knocked down and start bleeding unconscious, his teammate says "don't sleep at work".

That's to have an idea of the writing guys

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This project is so weird. I can't understand what audience is targeted. It looks like Firaxis made a game nobody wants/waited for.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is this an attempt to piss of all xenophobes? It's quite stupid story and it's something like we support mixed racial policy which would fuck everyone.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Fine enough for a bit-sized X-COM spin-off put about by the studios B-team. I don't know what the hell you guys were expecting given all the marketing material and the fact it was half-off leading up to release.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This project is so weird. I can't understand what audience is targeted. It looks like Firaxis made a game nobody wants/waited for.

The whole thing reminds me of that DLC they released. I guess this one is one step above it, since it actually has a price.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is really close to scratching the itch for me. A tight, tactical cop drama with unique characters, puzzle type combat with lots of options and new unit capabilities over time? What's not to like? I repeat I loved Shadow Watch. If I am their target demographic, the only blunder the devs made was in writing characters that don't take themselves seriously. I guess they were trying for buddy comedy instead of cop drama?

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
This is really close to scratching an itch for me. A tight, tactical cop drama with unique characters, puzzle type combat with lots of options and new unit capabilities over time, what's not to like? I repeat I loved Shadow Watch. If I am their demographic, the only blunder they made was characters that don't take themselves seriously. I guess they were trying for buddy comedy instead of cop drama?
A tactical turn-based SWAT 3/Rainbow Six Vegas with Aliens this is very close to being. Hopefully this game'll get the same mod treatment 2 got, anything to make it just a little bit more worthwhile.

Mazisky

Magister
Is this an attempt to piss of all xenophobes? It's quite stupid story and it's something like we support mixed racial policy which would fuck everyone.

The SJW agenda does not impact at all my rating for the game. If Xcom 2 was full of black women characters only, i would have still enjoyed the game.

This game however is a bad Xcom game, agenda or not.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, I started playing it on Impossible difficulty. Side missions are all bonkers on this difficulty and losing at least two guys is normal.. but you cannot level up just doing main missions.. and then game crashes for me as well :(
I bet this game will same balance on Impossible like previous 2 Xcom games, mega hard at start and super easy as soon as your guys level up a bit.
What I learned fast is that utility items are free actions and you should get one for each of your people asap if you are planning to play this on harder difficulties.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom