Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valve Leak 2020

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've never heard of a flat structure before but I'm going to guess that's some kind of commie thing where there are no bosses and everyone is equal in position

Codex Year of the Donut
Valve is run on a "flat structure". Of course it's dysfunctional through and through. Any organization on a "flat structure" is.
AFAIk working at Valve is kinda shit unless things changed recently. I remember reading this a few years back
https://richg42.blogspot.com/2015/01/open-office-spaces-and-cabal-rooms-suck.html
In case it wasn't clear: I really dislike large open office spaces. (Not 2-3 person offices, but large industrial scale 20-100 person open office spaces of doom.) Valve's was absolutely the worst expression of the concept I've ever experienced. I can understand doing the open office thing for a while at a startup, where every dollar counts, but at an established company I just won't tolerate this craziness anymore. (See the scientific research below if you think I feel too strongly about this trend.)

As an engineer I can force myself to function in them, but only with large headphones on and a couple huge monitors to block visual noise. I do my best to mentally block out the constant audio/visual (and sometimes olfactory!) interruptions, but it's tough. It's not rocket science people: engineers cannot function at peak efficiency in Romper Room-like environments.

In case you've never seen or worked in one of these horrible office spaces before, here's a public shot showing a small fraction of the Dota 2 cabal room:

I heard the desks got packed in so tightly that occasionally a person would lower or raise their desks and it would get caught against other nearby desks. One long-time Valve dev would try to make himself a little cubicle of sorts by parking himself into a corner with a bunch of huge monitors on his desk functioning as walls, kind of like this extreme example:

He also had little mirrors on the top of a couple monitors, so he could see what people were doing behind him. At first I thought he was a little eccentric, but I now understand.

After a while I realized "Cabal rooms" (Valve's parlance for a project-specific open office space) resembled panopticon prisons:

See that little cell in the back left there? That's your desk. Now concentrate and code!

Here's the list of issues I encountered while working in cabal (open office layout) rooms:

1. North Korea-like atmosphere of self-censorship:

Now at a place like my previous company, pretty much everyone is constantly trying to climb the stack rank ladders to get a good bonus, and everyone is trying to protect their perceived turf. Some particularly nasty devs will do everything they can to lead you down blind alleys, or just give you bad information or bogus feedback, to prevent you from doing something that could make you look good (or make something they claimed previously be perceived by the group as wrong or boneheaded).

Anyhow, in an environment like this, even simple conversations with other coworkers can be difficult, because all conversations are broadcasted into the room and you've got to be careful not to step on the toes of 10-20 other people at all times. Good luck with that.

2. Constant background noise: visual, auditory, olfactory, etc.
As an engineer, I do my best (highest value) work while in the "flow". Background noise raises the mental cost of getting into and staying in this state.

3. Bad physical cabal room placement: Don't put a cabal room next to the barber or day care rooms people (!).

4. Constant random/unstructured interruptions.

It's can be almost impossible to concentrate on (for example) massive restructurings of the Source1 graphics engine, or debugging the vogl GL debugger with UE4 while the devs next to you are talking about their gym lessons while the other dude is bragging about the new Porsche he just bought with the stock he sold back to the company.

5. Hyper-proximity to sick co-workers.
Walls make good neighbors, especially after they've caught a cold but feel pressured to be seen working so they come in anyway.

6. Noise spike in the afternoon in one cabal room, as everyone all the sudden decides to start chatting (usually about inane crap honestly) for 30-60 minutes. There's a feedback effect at work here, as everyone needs to chat louder to be heard, causing the background noise to go up, causing everyone to speak louder etc. Good luck if you're trying to concentrate on something.

7. Environmental issues: Temperature either too high or too low, lighting either too bright, too dark, or wrong color spectrum. Nobody is ever really happy with this arrangement except the locally optimizing bean counters.

8. Power issues or fire hazards due to extreme desk density.

9. Mixing electrical or mechanical engineers (who operate power tools, solder, destruct shit, etc.) next to developers trying their best to concentrate on code.

Related: Don't put smelly 3D printers etc. right next to where devs are trying to code.

10. Guest developers causing trouble:

Hyper-competitive graphics card vendors would watch the activity on our huge monitors and get pissed off when we emailed or chatted, even about inane crap, with other vendors.

Some guest developers treated coming to Valve like an excuse to party. We learned the hard way to always separate these devs into separate mini-cabal rooms.

11. No (or bad access to) white boards.
At Ensemble Studios (Microsoft), each 2-3 person office had a huge whiteboard on one wall. This was awesome for collaboration, planning, etc.
tl;dr: bad

Irata

Scholar

Nothing he complains about necessarily makes Valve a bad place to work. The vast majority of them are just his personal problems with the office layout. I wouldn't like that environment either, but he's just whinging. "Boo hoo. Our conference room is next to the barber. There's too much background noise. People talk too much. I don't have a cubicle." Doesn't sound like the guy who just bought a Porsche is crying about not having walls.

A bad place to work is low pay, long hours and a boss who is on your balls all day long. Add in a constant threat that you might be let go at any moment too. One of his complaints was that Valve doesn't use whiteboards... Those slave drivers over at Valve.

Plus, he's not an engineer.

The mirror thing made me laugh though because I knew a guy who did that so he could see if the department head was coming up behind him. Time to look busy!

Dexter

Arcane
How the hell did they develop 95% of a game without telling Gabe that they were using Unity...?

Either some of these leaks are BS (funny though) or Valve is more dysfunctional than I imagined.
This part at least is absolute and utter made-up bullshit, so I'm assuming the rest is too:
Continued, other interesting shit.

>SteamVR was in reality basically developed by Oculus while Valve rather focused on the controllers.
>Oculus wanted to support SteamVR by default and they were all for selling Valve’s games on their platform and selling their games on Steam.
>Just ahead of release of CV1, Valve’s head of VR Alan Yates out of nowhere accused Oculus of industrial espionage and threatened them with lawsuit if they don’t remove SteamVR support from their games.
>Yates is very happy about this because people blame Oculus instead of him.

Continued, more stuff from the leak:

Half-Life and Nintendo:

>Nintendo offered Valve $300k for a Half-Life game that would be exclusive to NX (Switch).
>Valve wanted to go with it and make an RTS game for Switch with touch controls.
It really surprised me when I found his Twitter and saw that he had become some kind of tranny furry.
21911.jpg

Does Valve still make games?
They just released the GOTY like a month ago:
dDChQOt.jpg

Archwizard Hank

Learned
I don't really give a shit about the retarded drama surrounding the genesis of the leaks, but I feel obligated to point out that a lot of idiots on Discord and journalism sites have been responding to this by telling people to completely uninstall TF2 and CS:GO to avoid the remote code execution.

Like, that's not how software works. Hackers can't magically telefrag your machine just because the games are in your library, you have to actually run them

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
What does he mean "to be back doing singleplayer games". Weren't they working on HL2 episode 3 this whole time? This festering pile of horse shit never told his fans the game was canceled after all.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Weren't they working on HL2 episode 3 this whole time?
No, just experimenting with the Valve engine, making Alyx on the side, and living off that sweet, sweet Steam money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom