Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft III: Reforged - now with lowest user metacritic score of all time

Been a while since I’ve touched anything Blizzard-related, but I’m pretty sure the naga don’t have feet, so that adds a whole nother layer of incompetence to the patch.

Citizen

Has Blizzard at least fixed the classic client?

There's nothing to fix if there is no classic client anymore.

No plans to restore it? Any leaks or official statements?

There's no support for classic client anymore LOL, all the classic users were forcefully updated to what is basically a reforged client but in a classic graphics mode, the only way to play classic WC3 now is to install a backuped older version and restrict it the internet access or pirate it

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If I had to guess, this entire debacle is a product of Blizzard as a whole going down the shitter in the last years. They are a multi-b/million dollar company, yet can't deliver basic RTS features months after release? It's pathetic and it shows they either don't care or can't mobilize well enough. Or both. It's made doubly worse by the other RTS remaster, AoE2 (and 1 to an extent), being very successful and not shit.

Absinthe

Arcane
If I had to guess, this entire debacle is a product of Blizzard as a whole going down the shitter in the last years. They are a multi-b/million dollar company, yet can't deliver basic RTS features months after release? It's pathetic and it shows they either don't care or can't mobilize well enough. Or both. It's made doubly worse by the other RTS remaster, AoE2 (and 1 to an extent), being very successful and not shit.
AoE 2 had two remasters and iirc the first remaster (HD edition) was also shit.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Add to that the upcoming Tib Dawn and Red Alert remaster which is very promising. When EA is better at listening to fans than Blizz...

Lacrymas

Arcane
I haven't really heard anything like that and I'm pretty sure everyone played the HD edition before DE was released.

Nahel

Arcane

Don't know it might have had flaws but it added content at least. And honestly it is hard to do worse than blizaard here. They removed content, destroyed the classic version and the only addition are female death knights...
Warcraft 3 was my favorite game and I was not even motivated to buy such a shitty remaster. And when I first heard the news I was so happy at the idea of doing all those custom game again.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Mmm, let's be honest here, this remaster looked shit the moment they revealed what it's going to look like.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Both AoE2 remakes were fine and had new content which was entirely up to par. if they had major flaws, I think they were ones which concerned only people dedicated to multiplayer.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mmm, let's be honest here, this remaster looked shit the moment they revealed what it's going to look like.

Though, can you think of any remaster of a 3D game that went beyond widescreen fix/modern OS support and ended up good? Once you start remaking models, costs climb really high and I think Activision/Blizzard announced the project without thinking how much it would cost to do it right and then they said 'fuck it, let's release it and forget about that'

Lacrymas

Arcane
Though, can you think of any remaster of a 3D game that went beyond widescreen fix/modern OS support and ended up good?
Maybe MediEvil? I've never played it but the remake looks fine, I guess. I personally prefer the early 3D, but I'm weird like that. Refunded failed to retain the original aesthetic, which is a big no-no when attempting remakes/remasters.

Absinthe

Arcane
I haven't really heard anything like that and I'm pretty sure everyone played the HD edition before DE was released.
AoE2's HD edition introduced a fresh wave of bugs and performance issues into AoE 2 that it didn't have before, and wasn't very HD either. It was basically an excuse release to charge a big price, which made it fairly unpopular with the oldschool AoE crowd. The multiplayer started running a lot worse too. Have a list. These aren't small bugs.

Last edited:

MWaser

Arbiter

Though, can you think of any remaster of a 3D game that went beyond widescreen fix/modern OS support and ended up good?
The Resident Evil 2 remake seems to be quite widely beloved, at least? Though I'm not sure what the circlejerk opinion about it is on this forum.

Lacrymas

Arcane
AoE2's HD edition introduced a fresh wave of bugs and performance issues into AoE 2 that it didn't have before, and wasn't very HD either. It was basically an excuse release to charge a big price, which made it fairly unpopular with the oldschool AoE crowd. The multiplayer started running a lot worse too. Have a list. These aren't small bugs.
Maybe, but that's a list from 2013. I didn't follow AoE2 HD edition at all before the DE was announced, and from my limited experience I think everyone was playing HD at the end?

Absinthe

Arcane
The short end of it is: AoE 2 HD edition was a botched launch that was much buggier and less playable than regular AoE 2 was, with development staff blatantly ignoring the majority of bug reports and complaints. Age of Mythology's HD edition is also more popular than the original (re-releases have a way of doing that), but the original is still a much less buggy experience with its own multiplayer community (on voobly). It just so happens that when HD re-releases are done, the original non-HD versions suddenly become difficult to get a hold of. If the HD edition were as good as you impute, they would likely not have done a DE re-release with a different developer. It's not like AoE2HD's dev (Hidden Path Entertainment) has gone out of business.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Though, can you think of any remaster of a 3D game that went beyond widescreen fix/modern OS support and ended up good? Once you start remaking models, costs climb really high and I think Activision/Blizzard announced the project without thinking how much it would cost to do it right and then they said 'fuck it, let's release it and forget about that'

Modern Warfare (COD4) remastered

Arbiter

Scholar
The short end of it is: AoE 2 HD edition was a botched launch that was much buggier and less playable than regular AoE 2 was, with development staff blatantly ignoring the majority of bug reports and complaints. Age of Mythology's HD edition is also more popular than the original (re-releases have a way of doing that), but the original is still a much less buggy experience with its own multiplayer community (on voobly). It just so happens that when HD re-releases are done, the original non-HD versions suddenly become difficult to get a hold of. If the HD edition were as good as you impute, they would likely not have done a DE re-release with a different developer. It's not like AoE2HD's dev (Hidden Path Entertainment) has gone out of business.

It always amazes me that remastered versions that are only supposed to replace graphics somehow manage to introduce new defects.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It always amazes me that remastered versions that are only supposed to replace graphics manage to introduce new defects.

This would not happen if they literally took every sprite/frame and upscaled it. The trouble starts when they change the animations, change their timings, etc. That's where the programmer becomes very tempted to "fix" the code to match the changed timing in the animation. Which starts the chain of falling dominoes.

With 2D games it's possible to not break anything if they take that very strict and conservative approach. With 3D games with a large graphics generational gap, they cannot avoid drastically altering the visuals, and in many cases, skewing their carefully tuned timings.

Absinthe

Arcane
I think it's much simpler than that. When you hire remaster projects you are more likely to have incompetent hacks who are not good enough to make games for budget saving purposes than actual talent and you will have a team that feels compelled to do work for the sake of saying work has been done (the entire HD project being treated as little more than a filler of busywork in order to say "it has been enhanced") and so you have people fixing shit that wasn't broken and breaking shit because they didn't understand what they were doing and didn't really care either. In the case of Age of Mythology HD they actually liked the fact that they added bugs to the game because it gave them more work to continue "enhancing it" and treated it like it was a clever stunt somehow because now they could keep putting out patches saying "progress was made." This was the actual company position on it. That's the degree of parasitic fuck-ups you had working on it. They were an entire company of the kind of programmer whose contributions are negative because the sheer technical debt they inflict on the project means that their bad work will result in 2 more programmers being needed to fix all the bad shit that comes out of their work and it would've been easier if one of them could just toss out all of their work and rewrite it in a way that actually makes sense, except corporate prefers to plow on ahead than throw out a hire's work. But at least those shit programmers wrote a lot of lines of code (most of it because they do not understand how to write loops, much less algorithms). That's important, you know. HD remaster projects overwhelmingly tend to go to this kind of shovelware firm that makes a name for itself being cheap and terrible but people buy it anyway because the original game was decent so they keep getting contracts. That's also why a lot of HD graphics somehow end up looking worse than the original. They just half-ass it without giving a shit.

Last edited:

MapMan

Arcane
Ok, I'm really craving some WC3 action. Has this reforged bullshit been patched and improved or is it still a steaming pile of shit? Jesus fuck it's such a missed opportunity I just can't accept it.

Arbiter

Scholar
Ok, I'm really craving some WC3 action. Has this reforged bullshit been patched and improved or is it still a steaming pile of shit? Jesus fuck it's such a missed opportunity I just can't accept it.

Several weeks ago it was still possible to install the classic client through Public Test Realm. I do not know if this is still the case.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I haven't heard anything about it and I think they've more or less abandoned it. This isn't going to get better. The horrible undercooked state it was in at release just screams "we don't want to pour more resources into this", so why would they continue improving it after that? A Final Fantasy 14 situation this ain't.

Olinser

Savant

It's functionally abandoned. They have like 1 asshole that occasionally pops up on the forums and releases fuckaround bug fixes, but they STILL haven't released the features that the original had that people actually wanted like Ladder or Clans, and at this point its highly unlikely they're going to.

Activision had the bean counters look at this and determine that the money and effort to make it actually playable is more than they'd make from sales from an actually functional game, so they abandoned it.

Blizzard is dead, it's Activision Blizzard now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom