Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avatar Gallery Submission Thread

Do you care about custom avatars?

• Yes, and I want something done about it.

Votes: 314 54.5%
  • No, just leave it the way it is.

Votes: 262 45.5%

• Total voters

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Would I be wasting my time if I went and made some icons out pieces done by the D&D artists that weren't explicitly made for D&D? Like, similarly fantasy-themed stuff? Would that be sacrilege?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland 3 beta portraits:

Z2fTxTs.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I updated all the Neverwinter Nights portraits (they were JPGs, ugh). Also added galleries for Pirates of the Sword Coast, and the new Darkness Over Daggerford and Tyrants of the Moonsea modules.

PotSC:

MDijxek.png

DOD:

FCwKQub.png

TotM:

2XFUuTT.png

TBH I should have cropped these to be square-shaped but I think I've done enough work for today.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
By downloading and examining the original premium module installers, I was able to further split out the portraits for Infinite Dungeons and Wyvern Crown of Cormyr:

ID:

3S1jSEl.png

WCoC:

huUESUb.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Observations about NWN portraits that may come in handy to somebody someday.

The data files of the original NWN Diamond Edition on GOG include the following texture packs:

1) textures02.bif - The main texture pack includes all the portraits from the game's original release, including the celebrity-based portraits that were overwritten by later patches.
2) xp1_textures.bif - A texture pack with all the portraits that were added in SoU.
3) xp2_textures.bif - A texture pack that includes both all the portraits that were added in HotU and all the portraits from SoU.
4) xp2patch.bif - A HotU patch texture pack that added the portraits from the first batch of premium modules (Witch's Wake, Shadowguard, Kingmaker, Pirates of the Sword Coast) along with a few others. It seems that the available versions of WW, SG and KM no longer include these portraits - they use the copies from this texture pack.
5) xp3.bif - The Patch 1.69 texture pack that added the portraits from the last two premium modules (Infinite Dungeons, Wyvern Crown of Cormyr).

Beamdog's Enhanced Edition made the following changes:

1) The celebrity portraits have been completely removed (instead of merely being masked by newer portraits with the same filenames) along with a couple of other portraits that were superseded by newer versions.
2) The SoU texture pack has been completely emptied, presumably since it's mirrored by the HotU pack.
3) No changes.
4) No changes.
5) No changes, but the Steam DLC versions of Infinite Dungeons and Wyvern Crown of Cormyr appear to have been modified to use the portraits here and no longer include their own copies. Oddly, Pirates of the Sword Coast still includes its portraits, so those are duplicated.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I was actually bored enough to edit and upload the 11 new hero portraits included in the Heroes of Might and Magic II expansion The Price of Loyalty.

In a classic case of procrastination, I took the screenshots nearly five years ago by setting up a map using the scenario editor (most of the new heroes are specific to a single campaign mission and several are AI-only), but they were on another hard drive and I never got around to cropping out the portraits, adding background transparency and uploading them.

I can't find the source, but I remember reading somewhere that the new hero portraits were based on the staff of Cyberlore Studios*, the company to which development of the expansion was outsourced by New World Computing. For the portrait background, the devs decided to go with clouds of different colors, which sets the expansion portraits apart from the regular HoMM 2 portraits, many of which were more detailed versions of portraits from HoMM 1 and the M&M 3-5 games.

*I was able to find a source for this claim... here on the Codex (where else?):
Excellent job with these new portraits, they fit in infinitely better than the ones belonging to the expansion. HOMM2 didn't need portraits of Cyberlore devs.

In fact, HoMM2 + PoL portrait pool features three different styles, the one being "slightly improved Heroes 1" mainly used for earlier MM game reference characters, the other being actual new Heroes 2 portraits for Necromancer and Wizard factions plus some vacancies in already existing factions and campaign characters, and finally the third being PoL campaign-only heroes. There was a rumor that these PoL portraits were based over Cyberlore employees. Anyhow, the quality of graphics for portraits was varied for the whole portrait poo

Another source from a 1999 Price of Loyalty review:

Although they don't add anything to the game as such, there are eleven new characters in PoL. The character portraits aren't in quite the same style as the other heroes, which is a bit of a shame. They're very nicely painted, but are stylistically slightly different, which means that they don't fit in as well as they might. And why are there eleven of them? That seems a strange number, but I have my suspicions: in the credits in the manual, it appears that eleven main people were involved in creating the game, and the male/female ratio matches, too, so I rather suspect that the new heroes are modelled on real people. It would be interesting to know who's who...

WNkZe3s.png
BUsd6Vf.png
bMuzcWP.png
thHXkwX.png
Ly0nega.png
VP6bJiQ.png
vvjb6I5.png
P8iEBk5.png
PacpOzq.png
C62lZw4.png
kRJW1Wh.png

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Jason Seow, an illustrator who worked on Pillars 1, has a number of unused character portraits on his portfolio site. He's had them available to download as a portrait mod for years now, and even adds new ones on occasion.

qgufP59.png
iZGK3Yu.png
nugfBCb.png
1VnnrjS.png
MeoNOSm.png
RWde87X.png
T3i52Fb.png
bHaqren.png
4mnp3Uv.png
xz0KHql.png
iQqWmfz.png
GE3VZlb.png

ImWJisE.png
yRfnzEH.png
IEvgEB0.png
BQFgOH6.png
GXbNqAH.png
kpeK0FN.png
x3yRRnF.png
XvBveDX.png

And Josh Sawyer, immortalized.
sv4HrE8.png

Here's the .zip.
And here's the link to his portfolio site in case anyone wants a goody bag of pillars portraits.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
After a number of failed attempts at enhancing their fidelity, here's a collection of particularly photogenic icons from Dawn of War 1. The low-res pixelation has an endearing quality, I feel.

6oV6Ips.png
hEHIkK6.png
ld3SUmB.png
mKLXusW.png
NGfkMjx.png
X09GZ2t.png
SMmt6N2.png
TVf83S9.png
hVUUHab.png
7PKAbkC.png
ldkqBbq.png
U03msEy.png

HNbnVSq.png
U528H0d.png
Fu8tKC4.png
qVFM2ik.png
rHjJYq9.png
cuQqXUB.png
wtZP799.png
Pcev8r8.png
L2o8ygI.png
YMjBcLZ.png

7QNccWm.png
b2GUbGS.png
6dzkmzr.png
nH7y3Mi.png
BRavE5U.png
fREya61.png
h8FRYNu.png
zdBi29d.png
aLisfI3.png
N3U31OI.png
vhjingf.png
gFWDcS6.png

Na5ZMYa.png
XTVH9Jh.png
EfPxqdE.png
i3mroxa.png
raPLZ4V.png
j9WxHzB.png
rkRw69m.png
oYqqjKL.png
wfObXhu.png
vh0ihB9.png
RptAGWM.png
gLkGBkd.png
d3sjwB1.png

zwiblrt.png
uljA10G.png
eAfDarN.png
mWn1CdT.png
PiWh8RS.png
nU0PT6B.png
W6Go4dh.png
bGCPVMg.png
JuLreok.png
TGdi3zF.png

2yNxTAr.png
UFEMkbq.png
fM1Ej83.png
Aa7Ne1m.png
MtSjMCm.png
2cb9Mtr.png
kBqWexS.png
mM7EVgF.png
iIkkgHh.png
DcFbKK7.png
Hj2G5XK.png
RR8W6oB.png
omuVvxl.png
OLARq68.png
aqKehFd.png

tYgJCnV.png
5ZiFsbs.png
MJxRdHP.png
gFqm2TX.png
3eqKpGz.png
hWaHeUD.png
ka5T8rR.png
rOB4w0m.png
jVd3Sxu.png
dIsFhZ5.png
k7A8M4v.png
Ur3VbHS.png
mwtQmgC.png

BCKDVDx.png
cbUsf5l.png
VkfIlDz.png
Jh8Pecm.png
1Sa0fMF.png
Xzplo4b.png
7bUOHZJ.png
AfH2OK8.png
vHs9LWs.png
SOdDy1t.png
wwfNEW7.png

itxghgC.png
pBitUUE.png
cYdRMLt.png
axYsWHw.png
rLygKLf.png
XaHeGY6.png
QaT3vTj.png
I7YvFS5.png
DtW8Pil.png

Here's the .zip.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
How the hell did a place as prestigious as this have a folder for DoW2 Portraits before one for DoWI?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Owlcat's Pathfinder games have three sizes of portraits. Small facial portraits, large full body portraits, and an intermediate size.

Trouble is, neither of these portrait types is square shaped. I could manually crop the small facial portraits one-by-one, but I realized there was a better way based on how I created the Icewind Dale II avatar gallery.

By using a template matching algorithm, one can automatically locate the facial portraits within the full body portraits, and then to make them square shaped, add the required number of pixels to the left and right. So for example:

L1MVjx5.png
UGQAdZI.png
->
uUJeTls.png

Here's the source code in Python:

Code:
import cv2
import imutils
import os

SMALL_EXT = "_Portrait.png"
LARGE_EXT = ".png"

OUTPUT_EXT = ".png"
OUTPUT_DIR = "Output"

def match_portrait(small, large):
    found = None

template = cv2.Canny(cv2.cvtColor(small, cv2.COLOR_BGR2GRAY), 50, 200)
    for size in range(small.shape[1], large.shape[1] + 1):
        image = cv2.Canny(imutils.resize(cv2.cvtColor(large, cv2.COLOR_BGR2GRAY), width = size), 50, 200)

result = cv2.matchTemplate(image, template, cv2.TM_CCOEFF)
        _, maxVal, _, maxLoc = cv2.minMaxLoc(result)

if found is None or maxVal > found[0]:
            r = large.shape[1] / image.shape[1]
            found = (maxVal, round(maxLoc[0] * r), round(maxLoc[1] * r), round(small.shape[0] * r), round(small.shape[1] * r))

image = cv2.Canny(cv2.cvtColor(large, cv2.COLOR_BGR2GRAY), 50, 200)
    for size in range(1, small.shape[1] + 1):
        template = cv2.Canny(imutils.resize(cv2.cvtColor(small, cv2.COLOR_BGR2GRAY), width = size), 50, 200)

result = cv2.matchTemplate(image, template, cv2.TM_CCOEFF)
        _, maxVal, _, maxLoc = cv2.minMaxLoc(result)

if found is None or maxVal > found[0]:
            found = (maxVal, maxLoc[0], maxLoc[1], template.shape[0], template.shape[1])

return found[1:]

def expand_portrait(startX, endX, expand, maxWidth):
    offset = min(startX, int(expand/2))
    startX -= offset
    expand -= offset

offset = min(maxWidth-endX, expand)
    endX += offset
    expand -= offset

startX -= min(startX, expand)

return startX, endX

if not os.path.exists(OUTPUT_DIR):
    os.mkdir(OUTPUT_DIR)

names = [filename.rsplit(SMALL_EXT, 1)[0] for filename in os.listdir() if filename.endswith(SMALL_EXT)]

for name in [name for name in names if os.path.exists(name + LARGE_EXT)]:
    small = cv2.imread(name + SMALL_EXT)
    large = cv2.imread(name + LARGE_EXT)

startX, startY, height, width = match_portrait(small, large)
    endX, endY = startX + width, startY + height

startX, endX = expand_portrait(startX, endX, height-width, large.shape[1])

result = large[startY:endY, startX:endX]
    cv2.imwrite(OUTPUT_DIR + os.sep + name + OUTPUT_EXT, result)

And the resulting avatar gallery for Wrath of the Righteous:

IwJZIP8.png

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Owlcat's Pathfinder games have three sizes of portraits. Small facial portraits, large full body portraits, and an intermediate size.

Trouble is, neither of these portrait types is square shaped. I could manually crop the small facial portraits one-by-one, but I realized there was a better way based on how I created the Icewind Dale II avatar gallery.

By using a template matching algorithm, one can automatically locate the facial portraits within the full body portraits, and then to make them square shaped, add the required number of pixels to the left and right. So for example:
Wow...

We truly are blessed that Infinitron uses his powers to shill for Obsidian and participate in Codex hi-jinks versus ruling the stock market and collapsing western civilization like the rest of his cousins.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
New Colony Ship avatars from the latest version of the demo:

cvzUCUM.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom