Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

cosmicray

Savant
Duke proudly claimed "I ain't afraid of no Quake" in early 1996, but by 1997 the engine was clearly past its prime.
Since the quote was from Episode 3(full version was released in April), Duke wasn't afraid of it mere 2 month before Quake's release. It always struck me how fast the PC games industry was moving back then.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Total War 3 mod for Napoleon.

Had a damn good fight against the AI 2vs1 with me as Prussia and the AI as the evil Frenchies. Bridge chokepoint battle, and they stormed both bridges at the same time. I held them off against the western bridge but they took the other one and smashed my right flank. The next half hour was a nail biter as I shuffled my western forces to meet the attack and stabilize my line. Finally my troop's better morale and defensive positions won the day. I was down to 3 viable regiments, and we stormed across the eastern bridge and found and slaughtered Napoleon himself.

The AI in Total War is usually pretty retarded, but occasionally if you get a good map and crank up the odds against yourself, you can enjoy a decent fight. Final casualties were 4,000 or so of 6,500, and the French lost about 9,000 of their 13,000. The remainder were routed as my men triumphantly held the field.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS UNREAL USING EVOLUTION MOD

GOOD GAME ILL PLAY IT BUT IVE HAD MORE FUN WITH OTHER POPLAR CLASSIC SHOOTERS

Puukko

Arcane
VTMB with the clan quest mod. It's a bit of a mixed bag so far - main issues being crashes and varying levels of quality control. I get 1-2 "regular" crashes an hour, and then there are the hotspots that crash with 95% certainty like the Ventrue tower. I found out bump mapping seems to affect the chances the most so I disabled that. The voice acting varies from really poor in both peformance and audio quality for some of the misc side quests to really good peformances that fit right in, the new Andrei being a very good match as well as the Kuei-jin girl. I got started with the Sabbat quests and the thing I have to say about the new area is that is certainly is very square and spacious which does make it stick out compared to the rest of the game in a not very good way, and they turned up the Hispanic factor to 11. All the NPCs I met so far had okay to good voice acting but the most noticeable difference is how much more monologues you get thrown at you - the base game is much more economical with its writing while each of these NPCs drops five paragraphs of exposition on you upon first meeting them.

The Kuei-jin quest made me do a long "uhhhhhhh" at the end there but then I thought it was actually pretty neat and certainly a memorable quest for being fanmade. The gist of it is, you meet a kuei-jin girl who you go and have a bar hopping night out with, with enjoyment of life being her dharma and her excuse for hanging out with a cainite being that if Ming Xiao has shady treasonous secret deals with the Camarilla, she's not going to honor the restrictions on comingling either. At the end of the night you finally get to hear her backstory.
It starts with "I wasn't always a girl" which got a big "oh no" out of me and the buddies I was streaming for, but then followed up with an explanation on how she came to be how she is. There was a college couple who OD'd on meth and died on the spot, but when the boyfriend's spirit got raised as a kuei-jin, it ended up in the girlfriend's body instead and upon regaining composure, found that it had consumed its former body for sustenance. I don't know if there's anything similar in any of the books, but I found that to be a pretty good in-universe way of handling the matter.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
men

i believe i may have developed an addiction to total warhammer 2

checked it last weekend when it was free and since then i've already sunk 39 hours into it holy shit

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FTL on Normal is kicking my behind relentlessly and mercilessly. I've managed to unlock a few ships, but I'm nowhere near being able to take on the muthaship yet. It's fun though, and the build variety is really cool. Just now tried a ship centred around boarding and taking out the enemy crew, with moderate success (although the micro required is hellish). Got to the penultimate sector before attrition wore me down. Found a crew teleporter relatively early on, but was stuck sending Engies through it for the majority of the game. Not a Rockman or Mantis in sight, and no boarding drone either (which is freakishly powerful btw), until the last sector. I got to unleash my one Mantis and drone in the very last fight, and absolutely tore through the opposition, so I'll be trying that again and hoping for some better RNG. I actually took their last crewmember down while my ship was exploding :argh:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I finished Pathfinder: Kingmaker after 150 hours. Ranted elsewhere, but basically the first half was awesome and the second half was a boring slog because the game gets more tedious and goes on too long. Highly recommend the first 4 chapters though, especially for D&D mechanics lovers.

After finishing Doom Eternal I went back to Halo 1's Anniversary Edition but realized I was on the later "flood" levels and cooled off pretty quickly. I'll still finish it by playing here and there but I switched to Star Wars: Dark Forces as my current FPS game. Configured WASD controls in DosBox and it plays like a dream, and even looks pretty good if you have nostalgia for that time. I tried DarkXL but in addition to the alpha version issues it also just doesn't seem quite right, for some reason, like zDoom does. No music in cutscenes was a real killer too as those DOS era cutscenes are solid gold I tell ya.

For my new RPG I am seriously considering Dragon Age 2, which is scary. I played it on release and found it very poor, but some horrible curse in the bottom of my gut is telling me to see what it's like in 2020. I doubt I get far, but who knows.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I recently got a hankering for some early 2000s action gaming, so I finally activated Steam codes for Max Payne and GTA 3 that I bought on sale back in 2014.

And then they didn't run on Windows 10.

After hunting down the requisite fan patches, I got them both working and finished Max Payne. Still playing GTA 3, nearly halfway into the game.

Both games stood the test of time really well and I had a blast (pun intended) with both.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
VTMB with the clan quest mod. It's a bit of a mixed bag so far - main issues being crashes and varying levels of quality control. I get 1-2 "regular" crashes an hour, and then there are the hotspots that crash with 95% certainty like the Ventrue tower. I found out bump mapping seems to affect the chances the most so I disabled that. The voice acting varies from really poor in both peformance and audio quality for some of the misc side quests to really good peformances that fit right in, the new Andrei being a very good match as well as the Kuei-jin girl. I got started with the Sabbat quests and the thing I have to say about the new area is that is certainly is very square and spacious which does make it stick out compared to the rest of the game in a not very good way, and they turned up the Hispanic factor to 11. All the NPCs I met so far had okay to good voice acting but the most noticeable difference is how much more monologues you get thrown at you - the base game is much more economical with its writing while each of these NPCs drops five paragraphs of exposition on you upon first meeting them.

The Kuei-jin quest made me do a long "uhhhhhhh" at the end there but then I thought it was actually pretty neat and certainly a memorable quest for being fanmade. The gist of it is, you meet a kuei-jin girl who you go and have a bar hopping night out with, with enjoyment of life being her dharma and her excuse for hanging out with a cainite being that if Ming Xiao has shady treasonous secret deals with the Camarilla, she's not going to honor the restrictions on comingling either. At the end of the night you finally get to hear her backstory.
It starts with "I wasn't always a girl" which got a big "oh no" out of me and the buddies I was streaming for, but then followed up with an explanation on how she came to be how she is. There was a college couple who OD'd on meth and died on the spot, but when the boyfriend's spirit got raised as a kuei-jin, it ended up in the girlfriend's body instead and upon regaining composure, found that it had consumed its former body for sustenance. I don't know if there's anything similar in any of the books, but I found that to be a pretty good in-universe way of handling the matter.
It's still gay

Codex Year of the Donut
I finished Pathfinder: Kingmaker after 150 hours. Ranted elsewhere, but basically the first half was awesome and the second half was a boring slog because the game gets more tedious and goes on too long. Highly recommend the first 4 chapters though, especially for D&D mechanics lovers.
I warned you.

For my new RPG I am seriously considering Dragon Age 2, which is scary. I played it on release and found it very poor, but some horrible curse in the bottom of my gut is telling me to see what it's like in 2020. I doubt I get far, but who knows.
If you can get past the boring encounters it actually has a decent story. It's one of the few RPGs that takes place almost entirely in one area and instead of changing areas the area changes.

Through some obscure site I have acquired Battlefield 3 key with all the DLCs and shit. Boy is it still fun - yes, you need the fucking Origin and access to the game is through browser, but it is super stable and polished. I am amazed by the graphics, animations and sound design. Great fun and many populated servers even nowadays. Blasting old BF2 maps with destruction and graphics of 3rd. Makes a good balance to slow and methodical Arma 3 and all stealth games I mentioned previously - MGS V, Hitman 2 and Dishonored: DOTO. Now I do not even need to get up from the computer. Hopefully someone invents 3rd robotic hand which would feed me and gave me pleasure.

Semiurge

Cipher
screen-0.jpg

Ultimate Challenge levels.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Tried Soulbringer. It's similar to Evil Islands which was relased some months later, but I didn't like it. Very crude compared to Evil Islands; poor graphics, laughably small viewing distance, boring combat and generally slow.

Next up was The Xeno Project, which was an excellent mini-campaign for Half-Life.

Lots of Thief, HoMM 3, Unreal and Half-Life user made stuff coming up (will probably skip some of it), before Clive Barker's Undying being th next full game on my play list.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Played a couple of co op games:

-The cycle a battle royale game from the spec ops dev.

It's main gimmick is that you can do stuff on the map not related to killing people.This comes in the form of creature hunt/Crystal harvesting,bounties,etc.
Unfortunately it devolves into a typical deatmatch very quickly because you get stuff for killing other players.So a big meh from me.

-Faeria. A card game where you build land in order to reach the enemy main structure and attack it.

On paper it takes the land idea from mtg and moves into a actual physical board where you build different lands to summon creatures.There are usually 4 man well you can collect.
The idea is extremely underutilized.There are no traps(which would work perfectly for this) and you can't change land,only build it minus some rare cases.

Swarming is still the best way to win considering you either need to draw a board clear spell or run a very specialized deck in order to beat swarming.
The cards are perfectly fine.They have enough variation to make archetypes unique and are fun,which matters the most. Getting new cards is a giant rng or wait fest.
You either do missions which give you 1-2 chest that give you around 10 cards or you can craft cards you want with charges that you have to wait several hours to accumulate again.
I would prefer if you could actually buy decks with in game currency.(not the real money to virtual currency)

Now onto the co op.It is weird.There are two co op modes,a entire campaign made for coop and daily challenges.I only played the campaign since the daily challenged would require 10+ hours of solo play to unlock which is stupid.
The campaign is a series of island with around 4-5 opponents with their own unique gimmicks.Most of the gimmicks are slight variations(like enemy starts with lands,more health,some events,etc)while the others are gimmicks require you to make a s very specif deck .The gimmicks inlcude:
-Taking over all your monster which have color
-Loosing a monster summons a big enemy monster in its place
-All your monsters have 1 attack
On paper it seems to spice thing up,but it just gets tedious.After you win a duel and move on you have to abandon that duel o make a deck to beat the gimmick,it gets tiresome very quickly.

To me,faeria just doesn't cut it.It lack the insanity of yu gi oh and the refinement of magic.The only interesting thing is the co op mode and even that is just around 20 duels only.

-Titan quest the new edition. Proto grim dawn with Greeks.

Imagine grim dawn but with everything worse and with a boring enemy rooster and locations.It is not a bad game,it is just boring.Also there is a very annoying thing with casting spells,it almost feels like there is some input delay going on.
The co op works and you can don't even mail verification when registering a account,which is nice for both legal and illegal players.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Been playing some Alpha Centauri lately, probably finished with it for now. I tried to make friends with everybody, but the Peacekeeper asshole kept pestering me the whole way for no good reason, declaring vendettas, breaking truces and generally acting like the prick he is (then again, everyone's a prick in Alpha Centauri), so it felt good to get a little payback by sending a few Planet Busters his way, right before finishing things off with a Transcendence victory. I wonder if that's what people who go meditating in the Himalayas do, sending avalanches on assholes right before achieving enlightenment.

I decided to finally install Dishonored, which I apparently own. The game's been in my backlog for, what, almost eight years? What the fuck.

Puukko

Arcane
VTMB CQM Sabbat ending get. The end game got changed a lot with some interesting fights vs Strauss, Damsel, Nines, Tung and the gargoyle. Sheriff had some new stuff added to his fight. Overall it was a pretty cool mod, though certainly not without its issues. It was unstable, often janky and the voice acting quality varied a lot. Worth trying out on an nth playthrough. The antitribu mod is supposedly being worked on again - I think my next pt will use that in a couple of years or so.

HansDampf

Arcane
After AM2R I'm continuing with Metroid Fusion. One hour in, I can already tell that AM2R is superior. Progression is almost always linear in Metroid games, ignoring exploits. But Fusion is offensively linear. When I enter a new sector I am locked in and can't go back because the computer says so. Even the main hub is locked off now, just because. Can't explore anywhere. I get a new ability and know where I can use it to progress. But the door to the elevator is shut, and I have to first listen to the computer commanding me to go there. Since when does Samus take orders? Always going from navigation room to navigation room to read more text telling me exactly where to go and what to do. Constant interruptions. Elevator rides are slowed down by Samus's boring monologues. It reminds me too much of that other Metroid game which shall not be named.

lightbane

Arcane
Funny, I finished AM2R too, and I liked the new changes since I played it the first time. Then I watched Longplays of Zero Mission and Super Metroid just to refresh my memory of both. Games like these are not made anymore.
Worse, Fusion was the start of the decline, but even that one does have exploration and opens somewhat after the beginning. It is indeed way more storyfag than the previous entries, but nevertheless Samus here was shown as a reasonable and strong woman, not the mess that was made into later...

I'm also playing The Great Ace Attorney. Much better than most Phoenix Wright games, I wonder why it never left Japan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom