Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Sjukob

Arcane
Otherwise I'll just give Pathmaker Kingfinder or whatever it is a second/third chance, I never really liked it but people keep saying it's good so maybe it just needs to click.
Kingmaker is kind of the opposite of Underrail, combat/difficulty is largerly braindead (although it's systems are fine), but dialogues and C&C are pretty good, so pick your poison.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Otherwise I'll just give Pathmaker Kingfinder or whatever it is a second/third chance, I never really liked it but people keep saying it's good so maybe it just needs to click.
Kingmaker is kind of the opposite of Underrail, combat/difficulty is largerly braindead (although it's systems are fine), but dialogues and C&C are pretty good, so pick your poison.
Haven't tried PF:K, but UR dialogues are excellent and C&C is pretty good (although might still leave much to be desired for some people), especially in Expedition.

Sjukob

Arcane
Haven't tried PF:K, but UR dialogues are excellent and C&C is pretty good (although might still leave much to be desired for some people), especially in Expedition.
UR has C&C but it's secondary. Mostly you have multiple ways to solve stuff in a good way, and the "&C" is missing out on content because of a bad solution.
Basically the choices boil down to: Scarppers vs eels, FD vs Protectorate, 1 out of 3 Oligarchs. Being a dick to the Faceless really has no upside.

Although I have yet to see what the DLC has to offer.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
UR has C&C but it's secondary. Mostly you have multiple ways to solve stuff in a good way, and the "&C" is missing out on content because of a bad solution.
Basically the choices boil down to: Scarppers vs eels, FD vs Protectorate, 1 out of 3 Oligarchs. Being a dick to the Faceless really has no upside.

Endless waves of Natives.

Parabalus

Arcane

Not if you kill the leaders on arrival :bounce:.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Not if you kill the leaders on arrival :bounce:.

True. Underrail's C&C is limited and random.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Has there been no balance patch or something to make Expedition more bearable?

Sjukob

Arcane
Has there been no balance patch or something to make Expedition more bearable?
You can make one yourself with a simple trick.
underrail-2020-04-17-10-08-36-42.png

underrail-2020-04-17-10-06-16-30.png

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
I've been absent from the thread for some time and too lazy to read everything.

I assume Expedition is a success, at least in terms of quality. Does it at least helps to explain the story in the original campaigns?

And the second and the most important question. Did someone finally make a mod that restores the original font?

Ivan

Arcane
fuck locusts, that is all

I love the dungeon delving (exploring lower passages on your own, stumbling into shit), hate the fetch quests (Foundry being most egregious)

Black Angel

Arcane
I assume Expedition is a success, at least in terms of quality.
Not really. The Black Sea is just Deep Caverns 2.0, but with botched encounter designs, more obnoxious enemies, and no respite like the hatch in Hollow Earth. The rest of the stuff is cool, but the aforementioned bad might likely turn you off.

Does it at least helps to explain the story in the original campaigns?
Only if you actually cared about the story in the first place, and if you've actively involved yourself with the ((((((Secret Society))))))™ of Underrail regarding the supernatural elements of the setting. You'll get answers in relation to that, but when it comes to the history of Underrail itself you'll be leaving the Black Sea with more questions which prompt you to ask Styg, "When will we visit North Underrail?"

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm in the middle of fighting locusts as I type. In the middle of all that, I met Ingvar. He's probably been fighting locusts for a long time, too. I don't want to become another Ingvar. Everything's a blur. Locusts and hives everywhere.

Black Angel

Arcane
On their own locusts are OK.
Not really, unless you meant with the recent nerf of having them came out of the hives every 2 turns instead of every 1 turn. Still, it's dumb not to have their entire swarms eliminated with a single TNT charge.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played a sword build (with dodge & evasion for defense) with some grenades and I found the Hives (before the nerfing) not that hard/annoying. There were a few which you must destroy, so I think their impact upon the game is exaggerated.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I played a sword build (with dodge & evasion for defense) with some grenades and I found the Hives (before the nerfing) not that hard/annoying. There were a few which you must destroy, so I think their impact upon the game is exaggerated.

What killed me figurally speaking in beta, was hives AND serpents on the same map and me being swordsman with no reach for serpents.
Spears didn't help too.
It was that early mapwith 2-3 hives and 2-3 serpents.

Ivan

Arcane
Finally finished my first playthrough (abandoned my first run at Deep Caverns before expedition came out year(s) ago). Overall, yeah, I loved the skirmish tactical battles. Hated the fetch questy design that permeates some areas (Protectorate, Foundry). I loved exploring and stumbling into shit in the caves.

Expedition, as others said, kinda felt like: Encounter A - Encounter B, Encounter A (repeat). I still feel like the first 8 hours of the game are strongest and that the game is a bit too large for its own good. Also, Deep Caverns weren't that bad, esp after stealthing around. I foresee them addressing the backtracking complain in Infusion by giving the player a radio (like in the DLC).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom