Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3 remake)

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Does anyone else find Faerie to be ridiculously cute? It's almost intolerable. I just about melt every time she's on screen. Her little finger wag when she uses magic is pretty cute too. I now know how grandmas feel when they see a little kid and say they want to eat them up. Dryad is pretty cute too but nowhere near the level of Faerie

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
If I recall, in the original you had to grind excessively if you wanted to be level 18 by the time you reached the Wind stone. This time I was level 19 without even really trying.

I went Light with Duran and his heal light spell restores less than a candy. FML. I also realized if you set items to the quick menu they auto-target the member with the lowest HP.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
If I recall, in the original you had to grind excessively if you wanted to be level 18 by the time you reached the Wind stone. This time I was level 19 without even really trying.

I went Light with Duran and his heal light spell restores less than a candy. FML. I also realized if you set items to the quick menu they auto-target the member with the lowest HP.

i was level 22 then and nearing level 54 and have yet to beat all
benevodons, Mana-beasts, God-beasts
whatever you wanna call them.

I was ready for the second class change as soon as i reached the
mana sanctuary
still quite a bit off for actually finding the items. SO the EXP curce has been massively changed, for the better I would say.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Dark Riesz does pretty good damage with Str + Luck for a crit build along with her debuffs. Light Duran is weaker but tankier which makes sense. His heal light is kinda pointless now with everyone over 500 Hp and it only hits for 200, may be worth it as a group heal but Lord was his weakest class offensively before. I may respec him as Dark just to get more weapon boosters.

Dark Angela feels nerfed, her magic doesn't do much damage and the MP costs are higher than the original. Plus she needs to spread points everywhere just to learn her spells and she doesn't have any MP reduction skills, so she blows through her mana super fast. I think light Angela is actually stronger with access to tier 2 spells but then she'll drain MP even quicker.

IceyD

Scholar
what are the prerequisites for Magus

nvm i got it. fun game so far.

Last edited:

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
I'm a little butthurt that it's not getting enough sales to hit the new and trending page on Steam. I really want to see this game do well and more games like it get made as a result. Steam reviews are at 90% positive.

I mean, it's an SNES JRPG remaster that's available on PS4 and Switch... Got to keep your expectations in line with reality.

Jinn

Arcane
It's got around 5,000 concurrent players on steam right now and very positive user reviews, so I'd say it's doing pretty damn well all things considered.

I'll probably grab it sometime in the next few months. I'm playing through Seiken Densetsu 3 for the first time in like 15 years right now with the official translation. Big improvement over the fan translation.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Dark Riesz does pretty good damage with Str + Luck for a crit build along with her debuffs. Light Duran is weaker but tankier which makes sense. His heal light is kinda pointless now with everyone over 500 Hp and it only hits for 200, may be worth it as a group heal but Lord was his weakest class offensively before. I may respec him as Dark just to get more weapon boosters.

Dark Angela feels nerfed, her magic doesn't do much damage and the MP costs are higher than the original. Plus she needs to spread points everywhere just to learn her spells and she doesn't have any MP reduction skills, so she blows through her mana super fast. I think light Angela is actually stronger with access to tier 2 spells but then she'll drain MP even quicker.

DARK/DARK Angela is a floor clearer and hits bosses really hard as well with ancient curse. The lack of mana is a non-issue in the later stages of the game due to abilities.

Same with DARK/DARK Riesz, Her debuffs coupled with some really high attack skills leads to me one-shotting every group on hard with the first attack (lil-cactus skill starts battle with 200% CS gauge).

Its laughable actually.

Duraframe300

Arcane
It's got around 5,000 concurrent players on steam right now and very positive user reviews, so I'd say it's doing pretty damn well all things considered.

I'll probably grab it sometime in the next few months. I'm playing through Seiken Densetsu 3 for the first time in like 15 years right now with the official translation. Big improvement over the fan translation.

Theres things I like better/are more charming in the fan translation tbh.

jungl

Augur
so I gave secret of mana another go in anticipation for this to get cracked and it was okay game. I stomached the initial boring part of the game and it does more fun when you got full party. Its definitely one of those game though that aged poorly and you had to play it back in the day to really enjoy its gameplay.

Anyone here try the sins of mana mod for snes trials of mana is it any good?

Ent

Savant
Sin of Mana is pretty good the default version of the hack is pretty hard. Its a refreshing take on the game but you are going to need to go over accompanying documentation at least once before play and revisit quite a bit while playing because the creator couldn't put the descriptions of the modified weapons skills abilities and mechanics into the actual game. I personally think he might have gone a little crazy with the gimmicks on the later bosses but its still doable. Party compositions matter A LOT in the hack if you play it in the higher difficulties. Play it on easy or wuss if you want difficulty that is close to the vanilla version.

Black

Arcane
KZMH4Ec.jpg

You disgusting degenerates.

Last edited:

Ent

Savant
Pretty faithful to the original sprite work actually.
25775.png

The 90s were a wild time.

pocahaunted

Arcane
So I've been playing this on hard and it's just dumb. I mean, the AI controlling other characters is just fucking retarded and suicides over and over again. Other than that, the game is fun. I'm at level 30 and basically have to solo everything, which leads to some interesting boss fights. Companion AI shouldn't be this weak - even picking the "protect" setting makes no difference, as they just sit idling while eating AoE.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
So I've been playing this on hard and it's just dumb. I mean, the AI controlling other characters is just fucking retarded and suicides over and over again. Other than that, the game is fun. I'm at level 30 and basically have to solo everything, which leads to some interesting boss fights. Companion AI shouldn't be this weak - even picking the "protect" setting makes no difference, as they just sit idling while eating AoE.

I beat the last, last boss with Riesz alone on hard. I feel it is easier to not have them around than to babysit them.

I really like the game but the companions, boy is their AI braindead.

That's probably the second hardest boss in the game to avoid damage from. The only one that was worse was the one you fight on the back of the dragon

The game puts three items in a chest right outside the boss room that cast ice saber. Use it and the boss's fire goes out and it loses most of its attacks.

Now i feel retarded, i did not realize that.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Yeah, my strategy for pretty much every boss is dump all CS and MP with moves at the start, let the two braindead idiots die and just play dark souls as Riesz. What were they thinking, with this AI?

IceyD

Scholar
Yep I find the bosses much more manageable once I stop trying to rescue the AI and just solo.

Hyperion

Arcane
Playing as Duran / Riesz / Angela too, since it's a combination I always avoided on SNES. Picked Light for all 3 of their first classes, and haven't had any of the trouble mentioned here on Hard. I usually control Knight Duran with Provoke on. Riesz barely takes damage. I have to babysit Angela a bit, moreso during hectic boss fights because I have her set to blow through 100% of her mana and she gets hit while casting stationary. Spell Guard and Enigma help keep the punishment to a minimum, however. 2MP on kill + 30% MP used as HP keep her from ever running out. Haven't even needed to use Faerie Walnuts. Only problem areas were the Ghost Ship, because no Duran, and the 3 Golem fight in Altena before the Water Crystal. The speed at which they attacked and used AoE's were fucking crazy. I spent 90% of the battle running in circles away from the other 2. There was just no letting up in the Golems' offensive, and Angela got fucking wrecked because she was trying to cast.

I'm really just disappointed in Knight Duran, and rethinking my decision to give Lord (Liege?) a shot, since he's currently weaker than Riesz, with not much more defense. I'm just worried about not having AoE heals for some of the Mana Beast fights. Given how the Poseidon Claws worked for Zehnoa, Saint Sabre feels like it's going to rock the endgame which would make Paladin better.

Still having tons of fun though. Did the Desert before Altena since I didn't know it mattered this time around and got my ass whooped by a few fights in the Fiery Gorge.

Mojobeard

Augur
I finished it a day ago or something.
I had Rogue (Light-Dark) Hawkeye, Dervish (D-D) Kevin, Sage (L-D) Charlotte. Rogue's projectiles are really good, especially Pumpkin Bomb, and the 2 bar CS is good for killing multiple enemies at once. Kevin is obviously Kevin. Sage didn't really impress me, but Charlotte's there for big dick heals so whatever.
There's some bosses where the AI is dumb and will die, but trying to keep them alive is always worth it. Resurrecting and feeding them chocolate is cheap anyway.

It's kind of short, the story sucks, the combat isn't as deep as I'd want. Basically just buy any Tales game, even one of the really bad ones, and you'll get a better real time jrpg.
Doesn't mean I hated it or anything. I enjoyed the brisk pace of just getting from dungeon to dungeon. It didn't overstay its welcome either, but I don't really feel like replaying mostly the same story with different characters, the system just isn't deep enough.
It's also a very direct 2d to 3d port, for good or bad. Including lots of things that have evolved since when it was released, like the amount of backtracking.

It's a really videogame videogame. You kill the fire boss and then the water boss and whee look ma no hands.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Demo had to be pulled because people could get access to the full game. When will these guys learn?

deuxhero

Arcane
Demo had to be pulled because people could get access to the full game. When will these guys learn?
How does that work? I know there was music missing from the demo since it wasn't uploaded till the full game came out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom