Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suzerain - political simulator & RPG hybrid by Torpor Games - now with Kingdom of Rizia DLC

Vatnik Wumao
https://www.suzeraingame.com

https://af.gog.com/game/suzerain?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/en/game/suzerain_kingdom_of_rizia?as=1649904300

banner1.png
As President Anton Rayne, lead Sordland into ruin or repair in your first term. Navigate a political drama story driven by conversations with your cabinet members and other significant figures in a country with its own complicated history. Beware or embrace corruption; shirk or uphold ideals.

banner3.png
  • Navigate countless intricate conversations in this 200K-word text-based branching political drama.​
  • Make difficult choices on security, economy, diplomacy and more.​
  • Interact with a wide array of characters with different personalities and ideologies.​
  • Follow the situation in Sordland through reports and news.​
  • Determine where the country will end up at the end of your four year term.​

banner2.png
Sordland has been under the leadership of Colonel Soll for over two decades after he ended the bloody civil war. Now in 1954, Soll is gone but his political party is still in control of Sordland — until a charismatic young man, Anton Rayne, surprises everyone by rising to the top of the party and getting elected as the new President of Sordland.

The people are hungry for democratic reforms after decades under a traditionalist power. The economy is in shambles and the political landscape is shifting. Neighboring superpowers are watching closely, and there are military threats on the horizon.

Can you pull the country out of its recession? Will you meet the demands of your people for reform? The future of Sordland depends on your choices. Good luck, Mr. President.

icon_sordland.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Vatnik Wumao

As President Anton Rayne, lead Sordland into ruin or repair in your first term. Navigate a political drama story driven by conversations with your cabinet members and other significant figures in a country with its own complicated history. Beware or embrace corruption; shirk or uphold ideals. How will you lead?

The people are hungry for democratic reforms after decades under a traditionalist power. The economy is in shambles and the political landscape is shifting. Neighboring superpowers are watching Sordland closely, and there are military threats on the horizon.

Can you pull the country out of its recession? Will you meet the demands of your people for reform? The future of Sordland depends on your choices.

The people need you. Begin your presidency + play the demo this weekend

Suzerain is coming Summer 2020, but the people need their president now! Step into your office and begin your term at LudoNarraCon this weekend: download the demo beginning April 24th.

Watch behind the scenes livestreams on our Steam page during the event until April 27th. We've got hours of footage prepared including gameplay with developer commentary and behind the scenes interviews. Tune into the livestreams and play our demo April 24th through April 27th by visiting our Steam page.

Can the people count on you? Wishlist Suzerain today to stay up to date with lore blogs and monthly developer updates!

872b5f267ab99f75a2fba7e413445006c463b46c.png

Hellion

Arcane
I played the demo, takes about an hour or so to complete.

It mostly plays like a CYOA game in an environment that kinda reminds me of Tyranny's "Conquest" phase, where you selected the outcomes of certain events and your choices shaped the world. There's a wide variety of options as the "plot" progresses, both political and in regards to the main character and his family (you can even choose between being a loving and easy-going parent or a stern and angry wifebeater who yells at his son, lol).

Color me interested, in general. I'll try to pick it up for a review when a release date is announced.

hilfazer

Scholar
Is Sordland a suzerain of some country? Or is it other country's vassal state? The game is called Suzerain, hence the question.

Harthwain

Magister
That's what they themselves advertised it as. So if Disco Elysium is kosher on the 'dex, this might be as well.
It's not that simple.

Disco Elysium had a lot of direct ties to RPG genre. First - it was pretty much a video game adaptation (if not 1:1 transition) of developers own homebrew actual RPG system. Second - it had the hallmarks of RPGs: dice rolling for action resolution and heavy stats-based interactivity. I'd even go as far as to say it was more stats-driven than most RPGs, when it comes to how stats impacts what you can perceive.

The only reason some people don't think it's an RPG is because there isn't a separate combat layer in Disco Elysium (and everything you do, you do via text), but the system for combat is already in place, only it plays the same way as the rest of the game (and pretty much like you'd play PnP RPG).

I wouldn't be surprised if Suzerain was marked as RPG on Steam, because for some people anything text-heavy is an RPG. But this way a visual novel could be an RPG too. To me Suzerain looks more like a boardgame than an RPG, although I am wondering how much it is text-based and how much it is boardgame-oriented. I prefer latter than the former.

zool

Arcane
Sounds like KoDP. Could be pretty cool.

Looks more like Hidden Agenda, the best political simulator ever made. Suzerain seems to take inspiration from it but I could be mistaken. Will follow closely, it could be great.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Played for about an hour. So far my advisors seem content to implement my natsoc vision. The game is slower-paced than KoDP, with more reading between each significant decision. I haven't come to the point where there are any real consequences to my decisions, but it seems like the game is going to offer a lot of replayability.

zool

Arcane
Played for a couple of hours, looks interesting enough. The writing is reasonably good but it is alas too verbose. Hidden Agenda managed to get the tone right while at the same time remaining very concise. Also, no idea why they decided to include the whole "family life" thing, it doesn't serve any purpose.

I like the interface but it's a shame there isn't a tab with a few graphs and stats - it's the easiest way to keep track of socio-economic and political indicators. Nice music too.

Overall, it seems to be a little bit too much event-driven - I prefer Hidden Agenda's way of doing things where, apart from a few time-sensitive events, you can pick your meetings and choose the issues you want to focus on instead of going from one event to the next. Didn't play far enough but I hope you can also do some cabinet reshuffle.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This is getting a demo for the Steam Game Festival today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom