Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Turn-based zombie survival RPG Urban Strife aims to be a better Dead State

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Urban Strife; White Pond Games

Urban Strife seems to have begun development back in 2016 as a simple turn-based squad tactics game with zombies. We've been following the game for years, but it really began grabbing our attention when Bucharest-based developer White Pond Games started calling it an RPG last June. Even before the release of the underwhelming Dead State, there were many Codexers who couldn't stand zombie games anymore, but Urban Strife looks good, really good. I was originally planning to wait until White Pond launched the game's Steam page with a proper trailer before posting about it, but it looks like they're taking their time on that. The truth is that any one of the many gameplay snippets they've uploaded to YouTube over the past ten months will do. For example:

White Pond began taking signups for Urban Strife's private alpha on the game's official website a week and a half ago. Yesterday we learned that they plan to launch the alpha on May 14th, to be followed by a public "crowdfunded" early access build on June 4th. So if you like what you see, head on over there and check it out.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Such games are being announced for 20 years and always shit. Without real budget and a highly professional team this is gonna be another dime a dozen attempt to make a Jagged Alliance clone in a 3D engine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even before the release of the underwhelming Dead State, there were many Codexers who couldn't stand zombie games anymore, but Urban Strife looks good, really good

So, dead state is underwhelming but its clone with better gfx is suddenly incline? :retarded:

How is urban strife better than dead state?

Not just graphics. For example, read this post about some of the game's combat system innovations: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...w-in-private-alpha.114111/page-8#post-6542345

Last edited:

zool

Arcane
Looks too much like Dead State, in fact, almost looks like a rip off, from the art style to UI.

It does look like they ripped off were heavily inspired by Dead State UI indeed. The fact that this game started development as a squad tactics game and not as an RPG actually gives me hope that it could be better than Dead State.

Squad-tactics games with RPG elements (a la Jagged Alliance 2) actually often turn out to be much better games than RPGs trying (and failing) to have a deep combat system.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
So... Dead State, but good? Sounds like a winner to me.

If indeed this is the case, that is.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Looks too much like Dead State, in fact, almost looks like a rip off, from the art style to UI.

Squad-tactics games with RPG elements (a la Jagged Alliance 2) actually often turn out to be much better games than RPGs trying (and failing) to have a deep combat system.

I'd say almost always. At least compared to combat focused RPGs...

Gruia

Educated
bruh, for me to get into a ZOMBIE game.. would require disco elysium mastery and be fucking yond.
meaning , a total spin of what a zombie is , turn alan moore on that shit.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I liked dead state. Going through the apartment building to get to the chopper was pretty epic.

Will get this.

AlsGaming

Novice
Looks like it'll run a lot smoother than Dead State which was the main issue I had. But seems like there isn't much footage of what you do at your base yet. Half the fun of Dead State was trying to run that efficiently and putting up with fellow survivor's incessant whining. If it has a lot less of that, I can see the game being more popular in general but maybe not as interesting as Dead State despite all its flaws.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
At first I was

a simple turn-based squad tactics game with zombies

White Pond Games started calling it an RPG

A-ha...

But then I was video - sounds are very good, 5 out of 5 on realistic scale, and I glad there is no zombi in video - make it like that inentire game please?
I like that shotgun has such pellets dispersion, a little bit more narrow and it will be almost JA2.

Well, I liked what I saw, and as zool said I have more hope in games that were at first tactical turn-based and then became RPG then just RPG.

xuerebx

Erudite

Exactly like what I was going to write. Although as long as it's a good game I don't really mind. The "rip off" is an issue for the DS developers - which I understand have abandoned the game - so I don't think anyone will really care.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dead state reanimated is a good game.

I finished Dead State two weeks ago.

A game bogged down in minutia, shit combat, mediocre writing level, annoying characters, UI functionality that gives me nightmares to this day, kindergarten level 3D assets, way too fuckin long...

If I would have to choose one word to describe it, it would be a drag.

The base uprades part was interesting, until it god old, with no gameplay implications, just fluff.

Did I mention the fuckin UI?
It was designed by a cretin

I would not even touch another zombie game even with a 10 foot pole.

Deleted Member 22431

Project Zomboid is already better than Dead State, but it has real-time combat. The number of systems they implemented in the game is mind-blowing, and some of the stuff in it is brutal.

The game is still in early access and has no NPCs, but it is already fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom