Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

That is the whole point of the criticism i seen the game live at lucca comix and games. It is clearly more an action adventure shooter with a branching narrative than a RPG.

Let's debate what an RPG is guys! If Witcher 3, Deus Ex and Mass Effect 2 are RPGs, then this game would have to be simpler than Far Cry 3 to not qualify.

While i considered Witcher 3 a good game. I never played it as an rpg. Deux ex the new ones are shooters with upgrades. And Mass effect 2 is a shooter with an interactive stories and somewhat the illusion of choice.

Semiurge

Cipher
Ok then, I guess I'm convinced. Cyberpunk 2077 will be crap. Let's hope for some other great AAA RPG then.

It's called Vampire: The Masquerade® - Bloodlines™ 2

flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Is not hating. I were waiting this game since the first ever released teaser i am just disappointed with the direction they took. This is a game that is supposed to have his root on a pen and paper game and they turned it in a cinematic FPS that can be a great game on his own. WHat i am attacking is the fact i seen the game live uncut in a event here in italy Lucca Comix and Games. And i did not see roleplay elements at all. Just mediocre shooting in a cool open world with edgy lines with over exagerate swearing dialogues.

Cat Dude

Savant
Is not hating. I were waiting this game since the first ever released teaser i am just disappointed with the direction they took. This is a game that is supposed to have his root on a pen and paper game and they turned it in a cinematic FPS that can be a great game on his own. WHat i am attacking is the fact i seen the game live uncut in a event here in italy Lucca Comix and Games. And i did not see roleplay elements at all. Just mediocre shooting in a cool open world with edgy lines with over exagerate swearing dialogues.

Pandering to general gamers is more important than pencil neck geeks from Codex. This kind of people would enjoy to see taxi driver Sami Zayn or scrawny 15 years old looking Adam Cole won against Brock Lesnar.

Cat Dude

Savant
It's been obvious for at least several years now that it's going to be an action-RPG. Anyone who's still bitching at this point or bitches after release that "it's not RPG enough" is only showing how autistic they are.

that you even call it an action-rpg shows your foolishness. the game is an action-adventure shootbang now. there is no RPG. period.

It already looks having more rpg elements than Mass Effect 2 thus action rpg. If everyone here considered ME 2 as a rpg then why not Cyberpunk 2077.

Cat Dude

Savant
I'm still pretty sure 90% of the women in Outer Worlds have short hair because there's zero physics in the game and long hair would look super dated as a result. Though I'd also guess some feminists enthusiastically supported this decision as a way to deal with said limitation.
And characters don't differ much in appearance and physique because they all probably have been made by distorting a single character model.

Bethesda effect

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The devs do not say it's an RPG. The devs lie. I rest my case.
Actually, they did say it's an RPG at one point:

To all of you asking - you'll have many opportunities to see your character. It's going to be First Person RPG, not a FPS.
Source: https://twitter.com/cyberpunkgame/status/1006625930884739072

The funny part? This:
oDldUQQ.png

They replaced "the role playing game of the dark future" with "an open-world, action-adventure story".

But it will be more of an RPG than Disco Elysium will ever be.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
The funny part? This:
oDldUQQ.png

They replaced "the role playing game of the dark future" with "an open-world, action-adventure story".

I read a theory on the Mongolian Basket Weaving Board saying this is a misguided marketing-driven decision because focus-tested research said "RPGs intimidate people" or some other drivel so CDPR now wants to broaden their audiences. As we know from Half-Life 2 and Dishonored focus testing groups of any and all variety are comprised of retards and should be avoided like the plague.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
But it will be more of an RPG than Disco Elysium will ever be.
I doubt it, given that Disco Elysium is actually based on a proper PnP RPG system, including dice rolling and character stats.

Disco Elysium should be in a genre of its own, such as "castrated adventure game" or "skillcheck galore game"

which for better or worse, Cyberpunk 2077 will be none of that.

Modron

Arcane
Witcher 3 didn't win the codex rpgoty for 2015 though, it came in 3rd in a year with just 3 other rpgs pretty much. You're thinking of the 3-4 look back rpgvote thing from a couple of years ago.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I know one thing for certain. If my son ever walks up to me and asks me if game x can even be called an rpg and then starts a lengthy discussion about genre definitions, i will have him checked thoroughly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom