Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Saravan

Savant
Not every game has to be about autistic min-maxing character builds, convoluted lore, etc. Although those games are fun and have their place too.

AC games like Origins and Odyssey are best enjoyed while being high chilling on your couch playing with a wireless controller. You are there to enjoy the soundtrack, scenery and obscene amount of resources spent on graphics. Yeah the gameplay is always pretty simplistic and the RPG mechanics are surface level at best, but that's not what these games do well.

Salvo

Arcane
Why this shit in RPG discusion and not in general gaming?

Because nu-ACs have cobbled together RPG mechanics that fit really poorly, but are still RPG.

Regarding this, I don't really know why I'm commenting, I'm not going to play the game

Incendax

Augur
Why does the history guy they hired for this have a degree in something else entirely?
Like, do you hire an expert on Canada to do Japanese stuff?

norolim

Arcane
Now we'll learn 50% of vikings were black, all of their women were leaders and warriors, half of the men were gay and they even had trannies.
You have forgotten that they were muslims too, that prayed to Odin.

Guys, progressive science is way ahead of you:
Swedish [historians] discovered that Viking warriors were actually Muslim women.

Not a single Viking was black, not a single soldier was female.
Female Viking warrior, though... possibly.
ZEOQcVc.png

Comte

Wow another cookie cutter AC game for soyboys and bugmen to consoom. I am sure its different then all the rest. Also you can play as a viking female warrior very progressive.

Codex Year of the Donut
Why does the history guy they hired for this have a degree in something else entirely?
I assume he knows a lot about the subject or they wouldn't have hired him.
One of the things I like about the AC games is the attention to historic detail in the non-story related parts. AC: Origins actually has a virtual museum mode bundled with it:

J1M

Arcane
I gave up on the series after Assassin's Creed 3. That was a chore to play. Before that, the series was a guilty pleasure of mine. Especially 2 and Brotherhood.

If I had to choose between Origins or Odyssey, which one would you guys recommend. The most important thing is that there is as little boat/ship combat as possible.

Valhalla seems to be getting lots of it, so I'm not getting it.
Odyssey looked fun to explore but I didn't get far when I saw the Borderlands loot system and the high soy content of the dialogue options.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I assume he knows a lot about the subject or they wouldn't have hired him.
One of the things I like about the AC games is the attention to historic detail in the non-story related parts. AC: Origins actually has a virtual museum mode bundled with it:

Odyssey has a discovery mode as well, though the older titles had allowed you to get historical information directly in-game through the historical database https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Database by just walking up to a building/person or after an event within the story and with a press of a button you get the real history behind it.
Now you have to go to the main menu switch to the discovery mode and start a tour to just get the piece of information you want.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
One of the things I like about the AC games is the attention to historic detail in the non-story related parts.

That why the series has always benefited by being set in rich historical environments (Holy Land during the 3rd Crusade; early Renaissance Italy and Constantinople; Caribbean in the Golden Age of Piracy; final years of the Ptolemaic Kingdom; Peloponnesian War) and consequently those have been the best games in the series.

Even going full weaboo and have it set during the Warring States would've been more original than this, not to mention more profitable given that the vast majority of fans have been wanting ninja shit ever since this series became popular with AC2.

If I had to choose between Origins or Odyssey, which one would you guys recommend. The most important thing is that there is as little boat/ship combat as possible.
Origins then.
Lots of mandatory ship battles in odyssey, hardly any in origins. Origins' environments and protag outfits look good, odyssey's excessively colorful world is gonna grate after a while and give you diabetes and its protag outfits seem taken out of a gay peplum.

Most importantly, there is far less mandatory xp grinding/forced POI clearing in origins (but still too much of it), whereas it's a true pain in odyssey. Odyssey has a lot more diabloesque loot that further wastes your time. Odyssey does however have the more entertaining story, characters, branching dialogs and quests.

If you don't care much about being able to transmog your gear in odyssey I suggest you use cheat engine to just boost yourself to lv99 from the start and turn on enemy upscaling so you can at least avoid all the issues derived from a level system that's designed to sell you xp boost microtransactions.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They keep the bird gimmick. Will they ever explain when and why the Assassins lost the ability to look through the eyes of a bird familiar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom