Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Emily

Arcane
my 60 colonists lol.

What. Is that even possible in Rimworld. Playing the game with 60 colonists?

Or does the game turns into DF where you just assign priorities instead of micro ing?
really,its the only way to play, small colonies are really boring compared to building a city. I played Rimworld over 200-300 hours easily tho, so i am not average player. I highly suggest you try playing it like this.

As for priorities its very easy to manage them, you can have just few few constructors a bunch of haulers, farmers etc.

You do have to have structured hierarchies, uniforms and other stuff. You cant have everyone be a soldier either.

Zo858Ad.png

9gGkGne.png

Johannes

Arcane
Hmm, seems like you can't kill mechanoids with heat anymore in the new version. Sad! But maybe it was a bit too easy to have a foolproof way of opening ancient dangers.

The new stuff, I'm not so sold about it... The empire keeps spamming me with quests though I haven't interacted with their earlier ones at all (building a decent, self sufficient base is the priority at first), do they really trust a random guy to take care of their pet snakes? Why are they so interested in me in the first place, you'd think it'd need some effort on my part to catch the attention and friendship of super-advanced space monarchs.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
See it that way: you spam shitload of tribal crappy kings with minor tasks and dirty jobs. Some of them fulfill them well, so you give them more important jobs and titles, narrowing down the capable ones.

ChaDargo

Arcane
my 60 colonists lol.

What. Is that even possible in Rimworld. Playing the game with 60 colonists?

Or does the game turns into DF where you just assign priorities instead of micro ing?
really,its the only way to play, small colonies are really boring compared to building a city. I played Rimworld over 200-300 hours easily tho, so i am not average player. I highly suggest you try playing it like this.

As for priorities its very easy to manage them, you can have just few few constructors a bunch of haulers, farmers etc.

You do have to have structured hierarchies, uniforms and other stuff. You cant have everyone be a soldier either.

Zo858Ad.png

9gGkGne.png

Why do you use so much wood, particularly around your supplies? Whenever I've done that, one or two raids wiped out half my shit.

Edit: your base is fucking pimp by the way. I would love to see it running, my laptop would probably shit itself.

Last edited:

ChaDargo

Arcane
Since we're having so much fun in lockdown and with our new buddy coronachan, I decided to pick up Rimworld again inbetween programming lessons and binge drinking. I made a no save, medium difficulty + Randy, naked brutality start by a huge river. So far she's doing well. Turns out she's a masochist so when she started to starve before the rice finished (thank god for fertile soil) and she had to murder a turkey and a turtle and a squirrel with a log of wood, the bites and shit actually made her happier.

Thank god for Royalty by the way. Some dumb bitch needed help being chased by a rat, stayed for half a day afterwards, then gave my lady a nice title and an implant that slows fuckers. Waiting on the first naked savage to try and rape her, but who knows with Randy at the helm.

Oh, and you couldn't kill mechs with heat in 1.0, Johannes. They can survive insane temperatures. Infestations can be solved that way but I just try to avoid that shit altogether.

Johannes

Arcane
Oh, and you couldn't kill mechs with heat in 1.0, Johannes. They can survive insane temperatures. Infestations can be solved that way but I just try to avoid that shit altogether.
I did kill them that way at one point, I think it was 1.0, but could've been an older version too I possibly. TGame says they tolerate 250 C so thats what it took to slowly kill them.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So I saw some youtube lets plays of this (I guess because of the dlc) and it gave me the itch to try again. Tribal start, rough, random location and colonists. Lasted about 90 days before randy sends a fucking SEIGE raid with NINE fuckers against my colony of 6. 1 of whom is pacifist. 4 of which have no combat skills to speak of. I have a grand total of 2 weapons with more than 12 range. So I take my band of shitters out to fight the enemy before my entire base burns to the ground along with my guard animals, a dog, a warg and a bison. We get slaughtered almost to a man. After all is said an done I'm left with one guy who can't do dumb labor.

Thanks randy. Way to go on that whole 'keep the colony between 6 and 12 people' thing you've got going. Brilliant storytelling. When traders showed up I told my last dude to go arrest them so he could die and end the farce and randy sent me a man in black to save my last guy after he was downed. So it could be prolonged further. No. Fuck this retarded shit.

In before it's my fault for not having a team of snipers already (the one potentially decent colonist that had a passion for guns went wild before the raid, about 5% before her psychite addiction was cured. Dumbest fucking mental break ever. Should just be suicide.)

Damned Registrations

Tried again because I'm not a learning animal apparently. This time, focused on getting greatbows for everyone ASAP. Recruited any retard I could just to stick a weapon in his hands, even if he's a gimp productively. Day 60, I get a raid, followed by another, bigger raid (with guns!) followed by a manhunter pack of predators. All within 2 days. Again, total fucking colony wipe. How the fuck do people doing lets plays of this shit on youtube go like 3 fucking years without seeing anything this brutal, while playing on higher difficulties? I don't fucking get it. Was it the field of hay? Was that just too much for randy to bear, the prospect of me not slaughtering all my animals within a single season? Is hay secretly valued more than jade? Because I sure as fuck didn't have any actual wealth any way you slice it. No weapons, no resources, no artworks or furniture, fuck all for animals, shitty colonists... and I get raided that fucking hard.

Does everyone just savescum the fuck out of this game and pretend this shit never happens?

KVVRR

Learned
So I saw some youtube lets plays of this (I guess because of the dlc) and it gave me the itch to try again. Tribal start, rough, random location and colonists. Lasted about 90 days before randy sends a fucking SEIGE raid with NINE fuckers against my colony of 6. 1 of whom is pacifist. 4 of which have no combat skills to speak of. I have a grand total of 2 weapons with more than 12 range. So I take my band of shitters out to fight the enemy before my entire base burns to the ground along with my guard animals, a dog, a warg and a bison. We get slaughtered almost to a man. After all is said an done I'm left with one guy who can't do dumb labor.

Thanks randy. Way to go on that whole 'keep the colony between 6 and 12 people' thing you've got going. Brilliant storytelling. When traders showed up I told my last dude to go arrest them so he could die and end the farce and randy sent me a man in black to save my last guy after he was downed. So it could be prolonged further. No. Fuck this retarded shit.

In before it's my fault for not having a team of snipers already (the one potentially decent colonist that had a passion for guns went wild before the raid, about 5% before her psychite addiction was cured. Dumbest fucking mental break ever. Should just be suicide.)
How did you even survive for 90 days without any sort of defense system up? Research for turrets doesn't take nearly as long. Hell, the AI will try to meele you if you're hitting them with a meele weapon, so you could just bait them out and bash them one by one with patience

Damned Registrations

Wait out.... the seige team shelling my base with mortars. After researching turrets with a tribe. Right. Brilliant advice.
* Plays only Randy

* Complains about unfortunate incidents due to RNG

:|
Is Cassandra better? I was under the impression she's just as bad. I have vague recollections of her sending a raid every two days like clockwork until I had to get a mass grave mod because dozens upon dozens of corpses were too annoying to deal with otherwise. Which was tolerable back when you could make a hallway of traps and just reset them, instead of the bullshit now where you need like 3 times as many traps and 6 times the space to guarantee some hits and the traps cost like 50 steel each time one goes off.

You can have random events without the possibility for sending a raid of effectively 20 guys against a colony of 6 dudes, ffs. And again, I don't see this shit happening to anyone else. I just looked at some other dude's playthrough where he had a team of fucking super expensive colonists with multiple great traits and a huge, high tech, expensive as fuck base for organ harvesting up by day 40. He got a raid of... 5 dudes. With no special theme. That was it for an entire season. His turret + 6 guys all with assault rifles mowed them down in about 10 seconds. I could have fucking handled THAT.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tried again because I'm not a learning animal apparently. This time, focused on getting greatbows for everyone ASAP. Recruited any retard I could just to stick a weapon in his hands, even if he's a gimp productively. Day 60, I get a raid, followed by another, bigger raid (with guns!) followed by a manhunter pack of predators. All within 2 days. Again, total fucking colony wipe. How the fuck do people doing lets plays of this shit on youtube go like 3 fucking years without seeing anything this brutal, while playing on higher difficulties? I don't fucking get it. Was it the field of hay? Was that just too much for randy to bear, the prospect of me not slaughtering all my animals within a single season? Is hay secretly valued more than jade? Because I sure as fuck didn't have any actual wealth any way you slice it. No weapons, no resources, no artworks or furniture, fuck all for animals, shitty colonists... and I get raided that fucking hard.

Does everyone just savescum the fuck out of this game and pretend this shit never happens?
GET GUD :troll:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Cassandra better? I was under the impression she's just as bad. I have vague recollections of her sending a raid every two days like clockwork until I had to get a mass grave mod because dozens upon dozens of corpses were too annoying to deal with otherwise.
If you were killing off so many raids that you couldn't even keep up with the corpses, you did fine. As it happens I do prefer the steadily increasing, even pressure of Cassandra. Randy is for when you want "crazy unfair colony wipe lol".

You can have random events without [rolling badly. I saw this one guy who rolled a random event that was very easy.]
:|

Damned Registrations

Oh come on, there are fucking limits. Don't tell me a raid with mortars or 20 people with guns and panthers vs half a dozen tribals is fine cause 'lol random'. I want variance that makes me react to things, not 'rocks fall everyone dies.'

After starting a new colony on casandra, I've discovered that crashed escape pods are a thing which I had forgotten about. Because randy didn't send one during 130 days of playtime. Colony got wiped out when I tried to move to better location cause I mismanaged some shit. This kind of failure (my fault, starting circumstances I opted to struggle out of) is fine. Going from 'I'm finally starting to stablize, all the hard work is paying off' to 'Well thats a lot of guns guess I'm dead and there's nothing I could have done' in the space of a day is not fine.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Going from 'I'm finally starting to stablize, all the hard work is paying off' to 'Well thats a lot of guns guess I'm dead and there's nothing I could have done' in the space of a day is not fine.

I mean that's what Randy is for.

Honestly, I am also looking for random but less sadistic Storyteller, but"lol random" is what Randy is about.

Damned Registrations

It baffles me that after all this time and updates there's still fuck all for storytellers to choose from. Apparently you can't mod it for shit either because those pretty much don't exist.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Damned Registrations you need to get your army of chickens going my fren.
On storytellers, there's some mods to modify then on the workshop/forums and you can also edit how long it takes, types of events and so on that happens in your world.

KVVRR

Learned
If you don't have a mass grave filled to the brim with the corpses of failed enemy raids (or a giant furnace for the bodies working at all times) you are not playing Rimworld right

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think what Damned Registrations is really getting at is that it's kind of sad you can only choose between the steady ramp of Cassandra or the utter zanyness of Randy. I'd like something in between with a good degree of randomness but no insanity either way

Damned Registrations

Everyone storyteller mod I've seen has been along the lines of 'it's randy, but lets you have 80 colonists' or 'it's randy but I changed the one fucking number the entire thing hinges on so now it's even harder.'

Looking again, it seems there are a few new ones that actually try for some sort of style. But the only one that didn't seemed geared towards super difficulty for cheater colonies had about half the reviews complaining it was sending them 3 raids a day. So.... there's still fuck all for storytellers. And the base ones are shit. They have like 8 variables and not even the same ones. Randy doesn't have a min delay between events, phoebe and cassandra don't have a max delay between them. Cassandra basically just annoys you with cannon fodder non stop so you NEED a killbox and trap hall with dedicated cleaners, while Randy is actually fun right up until the AI breaks and kills you outright. Why not have Randy but with a safeguard so he doesn't raid you three times in two days? Oh right, because you can't. The game only remembers the time since the last 'big' threat. So you cant get a cluster of two in 12 hours every season or so which would be interesting. You either get (potentially) one every 12 hours back to back for 4 days in a row, or they never come closer than within 3 days of eachother or whatever.

All of the storytellers have the same in built logic for assessing your colony's 'strength' but it's a shit assessment that doesn't work, since it'll happily send doom raids when your entire colony is helpless. There's some mods for this shit too but again they're along the lines of 'I made a mod so the game is hard for my psychopath cyborgs in power armor with 20 in all skills' or 'I made a mod so the game lets me recruit 90 people without giving them all cancer.' There's no mod that takes technology into account, compares weapons to colonists. As far as the game is concerned, a huge pile of bows you crafted to try and get a masterwork/train crafting is just as capable of defending your colony as 5 assault rifles because the value is the same and they're all weapons. Why not assess the value of the most valuable N weapons where N= violent colonists? That would be fucking good. It'd certainly be better than fucking biocoded weapons cluttering my map.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So I decided to check it out after all the raving reviews and still not sure what to think of it. It's definitely a massive timesink with all the micromanagement of getting all the ingredients, food, etc. But if there was no micromanagement, there would be not much game left, so I suppose you have to like that. If I had to summarize it, I'd say it's Minecraft meets The Sims.

Also, the UI could be better. I have raw rice and a stove, but cannot figure out why they keep eating the raw rice instead of cooking it. What am I missing?

KVVRR

Learned
So I decided to check it out after all the raving reviews and still not sure what to think of it. It's definitely a massive timesink with all the micromanagement of getting all the ingredients, food, etc. But if there was no micromanagement, there would be not much game left, so I suppose you have to like that. If I had to summarize it, I'd say it's Minecraft meets The Sims.

Also, the UI could be better. I have raw rice and a stove, but cannot figure out why they keep eating the raw rice instead of cooking it. What am I missing?
You have to order them to either keep cooking food indefinetly or until X number is reached in which case they'll stop until the number drops below that, you can do this from the orders tab when clicking on the stove.
Yes, it could be simplified a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom