Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
Gays and niggers?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
"We're going to be doing a LIVE Ask Me Anything with our directors, Ted Peterson, Julian LeFay and Vijay Lakshman on YouTube this Thursday (April 30) at 8PM EST. Be There."

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Takeaways:

There's currently no publisher. The game seems to still be in pre-production, although LeFay has been prototyping some of the systems. They're planning some sort of Kickstarter or Fig-type campaign. They're aiming for an M rating. The game is using UE4, and LeFay doesn't like Unity or C#. They want to do a physical release if the game sells well, and will probably do a console release after the PC release. They plan to do an open beta eventually. There's no composer attached yet, but the Daggerfall composer has expressed interest in being involved.

Users on their Discord have contributed in-game lore, and some of them have been elevated to the ranks of Council of Wisdom and will be included in the game as deities. Characters in the game will have an imperfect understanding of history and lore. The game's tone is more George R.R. Martin than J.R.R. Tolkien. The game's setting is an archipelago with underwater gameplay elements, and a late medieval level of technology (no firearms). There are two major kingdoms, with various smaller kingdoms that enjoy some level of independence. The game includes typical fantasy races. There will probably be alternate dimensions a la planes of Oblivion.

Combat is real time, first-person. Third-person will probably be excluded to save money. The game won't use dice rolls to determine accuracy. LeFay wanted a combat system for Daggerfall that was more skill-intensive, but ideally would allow you to choose between the skill-intensive option and the "spam left click to win" option. The game will include alchemy and spellcrafting, but they want magic to feel less mundane and rarer than fantasy RPGs typically present it. They want to support non-violent playstyles. There are no plans for advanced stealth or survival mechanics.

They've discussed using speech synthesis for voice acting, possibly just for a narrator, but it's unclear if the technology is going to be good enough. They intend to support modding. LeFay expressed an intention of using machine learning, but wasn't very specific about its uses. The game won't be an MMO, but its systems are being designed to potentially support party-based multiplayer (LeFay referenced Borderlands as an example). LeFay wants a complex economy that takes into account bandits, war, disease, player actions, etc. The goal is to make something bigger than Daggerfall, but not if that means making it feel samey or empty.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really, honestly hope to be wrong... But why does all this smell like "Underworld Ascendant" type of disaster?
The moment I read something about "co-op"... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :(

0e427adccb013a0ae2500b3393f254c992bd8c13.gifv

LudensCogitet

Learned
It would go a long way to convincing me they can do this if they said it is going to look like Daggerfall

ironmask

Arbiter
I can't see them making a daggerfall like game without a Triple-A budget. And who would give them that without telling them to dump it down?

Users on their Discord have contributed in-game lore, and some of them have been elevated to the ranks of Council of Wisdom and will be included in the game as deities. Characters in the game will have an imperfect understanding of history and lore. The game's tone is more George R.R. Martin than J.R.R. Tolkien. The game's setting is an archipelago with underwater gameplay elements, and a late medieval level of technology (no firearms). There are two major kingdoms, with various smaller kingdoms that enjoy some level of independence. The game includes typical fantasy races. There will probably be alternate dimensions a la planes of Oblivion.

You're touching on something I find quite alarming about this game and the community that is forming around it. Much like Star Citizen, we are starting to see a stratification of the community through Discord. When I went on the Discord to suggest a feature in their ideas channel, I was moaned at for "not following the proper procedure." You need to do this arcane process of notifying a mod who then notifies one of the devs who might glance at your idea without any feedback. All the while everyone moans about how your ideas are shit whilst their theory crafting is superior. Of course, now the devs are elevating favoured community members to favoured positions. They will be listened to. The problem is the people elevated are simply telling the devs what they want to hear. Construtive criticism about scope creep and lore gets dog pilled on. And you're expected to toe the line with the opinions of the higher community members. No matter how silly or frivolous their ideas are. So many ideas are basically those RP mods for Skyrim that add tedious survival mechanics. "It's got to have full hunger and thirst" "oh man wouldn't be cool to have diseases that need specific remedies to cure" Tedious things that don't actually serve the role playing in the game.

I'd be less worried if the devs didn't outright say they're listening to certain people over others. It doesn't bode well for their ability to create a practical game instead of nice sounding ideas.

Trans-Financial-Man this all sounds alarming, but
There are no plans for advanced stealth or survival mechanics.

Ah, it's not like devs who talk shit on this very forum have ever gone back on their word.

I really want the game to do well but they keep giving dumb fanboys more power. In the QA video someone mentioned how they're not giving a straight answer on the Epic Store and immediately several people go in and shill for Once Lost and Epic. And that sort of behaviour is pretty common on the Discord whenever I went on there. I have a horrible feeling the devs are going to make stupid decisions based on "fan feedback" and then just not listen to rest of us when we tell them they're full of shit. And we'll end up with a similar situation to Phoenix Point or Underworld.

I am still looking forward to the game and I hope I'm wrong. I could listen to Julian and Ted talk about game systems and design all day. I find it fascinating and have complete confidence they can do the things they say they can. But the double speak over Epic in addition to the circle jerk of a Discord really gives me bad vibes. We'll just have to wait and see.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You're touching on something I find quite alarming about this game and the community that is forming around it. Much like Star Citizen, we are starting to see a stratification of the community through Discord.

Their Discord server even has a special channel where 'best ideas' get stickied. The dumbest thing they did was create a cult on Discord and this dumb hierarchy where unknown plebs push their 'ideas'.

grimace

Arcane
There are two classes of Once Last fanboys:

Those who have a signed NDA on record and those who do not.

Molina

Savant
Trans-Financial-Man this all sounds alarming, but
There are no plans for advanced stealth or survival mechanics.

Ah, it's not like devs who talk shit on this very forum have ever gone back on their word.

I really want the game to do well but they keep giving dumb fanboys more power. In the QA video someone mentioned how they're not giving a straight answer on the Epic Store and immediately several people go in and shill for Once Lost and Epic. And that sort of behaviour is pretty common on the Discord whenever I went on there. I have a horrible feeling the devs are going to make stupid decisions based on "fan feedback" and then just not listen to rest of us when we tell them they're full of shit. And we'll end up with a similar situation to Phoenix Point or Underworld.

I am still looking forward to the game and I hope I'm wrong. I could listen to Julian and Ted talk about game systems and design all day. I find it fascinating and have complete confidence they can do the things they say they can. But the double speak over Epic in addition to the circle jerk of a Discord really gives me bad vibes. We'll just have to wait and see.
I think it's a pretty honest speech. If you read between the lines, it just says, "If Epic gives us a wagonload of money, we'll be only on EGS."

Otherwise, the AMA didn't give that much information. I feel like they're still in the early stages of pre-development. The community is really overwhelming, I agree. More than fanboy, it's very sucker ball with a mixture of pettiness and pettiness. They should have involved the community much later. But I guess that makes free ads. But we'll see, according to Julian we'll see a beta by 2022.

It's more or less the same thing they did in Daggerfall.
As someone who was active on BBS boards and the like back in the day for Daggerfall, The people contributed meaningful stuff over a very long period of time. At least a year's worth of content if memory serves. And it was at most 20 people. Not an entire community of circle jerking retards getting participation awards for their bland feedback because they kissed the right amount of arse that day.

HumanAndHalf

Literate
Of course, now the devs are elevating favoured community members to favoured positions. They will be listened to. The problem is the people elevated are simply telling the devs what they want to hear.

Yeah, you are right about everything, especially the part about the devs elevating everyone who sucks them off. I mean, so many people are now in the high council, like Zaric, Zhakaron and Zarik Zhakaron that there is literally no place for anyone else. Wonder how that man can be the only one elevated in that whole time, huh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom