Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship Combat Beta Thread

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Ah, as obsrver I constantly forgot about such triva as time and money, mmmmyeah...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ah, as obsrver I constantly forgot about such triva as time and money, mmmmyeah...
Yeah... I still hope we can do upgradeable energy weapons (the way you upgrade gadgets but with more parts) but the list of things we need first is still too long.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I finally got around to trying the demo and I gotta say I really liked what I saw. Only played for a couple of hours - because of a crash after trying to throw a stasis granade, otherwise I’d have likely gone on until I beat it (or it beat me) - but I already found the combat more fun and coherent than AoD. Will certainly revisit it but in the meantime some notes:
There is an annoying delay for info shown on cursor hover in the inventory, and half the time it shows info for the wrong item. Also when comparing items with alt sometimes it compares with the wrong item and you can’t even use the mouse wheel as normal to change it.
Also it would be really useful if there was an option to not auto end turn if you have zero AP (my habit for pressing space cost me my first run streak :() as well as an option for text size scaling so my eyes stop bleeding trying to read the tiny text.

:greatjob:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah... I still hope we can do upgradeable energy weapons (the way you upgrade gadgets but with more parts) but the list of things we need first is still too long.

Yeah, some time agoI realized that many decisions you guys did aimed at lowering the cost, like no craft, no free camera (I prefer it like that but still).
That's a sad thing if to think about it.

Vault Dweller

Developer

Yeah, some time agoI realized that many decisions you guys did aimed at lowering the cost, like no craft, no free camera (I prefer it like that but still).
That's a sad thing if to think about it.
The main factor is time, hiring more contractors helps us do more but it has limits. Right now AoD/DR generate about 2k a month, which covers 3 contractors (the second programmer, animations, and creatures - we have 4 out of 6 now). Nobody else is getting paid now. Anything that requires extra 3D assets or extra programming is a luxury we can't afford. The rest has to be prioritized. For example, I'd like to improve the distortion and stealth field effect, but we don't have time to do this right now, so it goes to the long list of minor improvements we may or may not find time for.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Elhoim could we get a bit more of hairstyles? I mean, theare are modern "dangergirl" ones, so could you add at least a couple old-fashined, cause who knows which tastes and nostalgia someone could develop i generation ship - maybe even from Victorian era, something like this
https://yandex.ru/images/search?text=прически викторианской эпохи&stype=image&lr=215&source=wiz
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Причёски_викторианской_эпохи

Loose long hair was a symbol of female sexuality, which was severely suppressed by Victorian morality; in society, a woman could not appear in this form, the image of a woman not fully dressed, with her hair not coiffed and at least partially unbound, was considered obscene
No. Our limited resources are getting more and more limited. Our artist has been working on hair styles for weeks now and we still don't have beards yet. So I can ask her to do more hairstyles or things that actually matter.

Overall, we'll have 8 male hairstyles, 8 female hair styles, 7 moustache/beard types, so hopefully it will be enough. We have a single hair style with a shaved side, which, as mentioned earlier, makes perfect sense due to the datajacks.

aN4N4Gt.png
Just make everyone wear balaclava because they are afraid some disease may spread out and that way you could spend the resources where it matters. I'm half-joking here but in all honesty customizing the appearance of my character seems redundant, it doesn't affect gameplay at all (it wouldn't matter if all NPC models would look the same if there were those beautiful avatars Mazin makes) while being able to upgrade energy weapons does matter. Seems like a simple choice to me.

On one hand you're saying that you don't want to add difficulty choices and on the other you're wasting time on such inane things to please casuals. And while I'm mentioning difficulty settings, I'm pretty sure that if you didn't have them you would get even more negative reviews for DR, the fact that some of the casuals didn't want to play on easy doesn't change that. You could always call easy normal, normal hard and hard impossible if you're certain that so many people refused easy. Or you could hide higher difficulty settings in the options or unlock it after we would beat it on lower setting.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I remember the switcheroo VD did with AoD combat demo so I'm not installing this one, even if it's good.
What switcheroo? Newfag here, genuinely curious what you're talking about.
I assume he means that we ended up releasing a visual novel or something.

I'm half-joking here but in all honesty customizing the appearance of my character seems redundant, it doesn't affect gameplay at all (it wouldn't matter if all NPC models would look the same if there were those beautiful avatars Mazin makes) while being able to upgrade energy weapons does matter. Seems like a simple choice to me.
Different categories. Hair is 3D modelling requiring no programming and very little extra work. Weapons upgrade system requires 3D models as well as programming, interface, database of parts with stats and descriptions, balance, testing, etc. While having 3D models for parts is a must, before we go there, we need to allocate extra time across the board.

On one hand you're saying that you don't want to add difficulty choices and on the other you're wasting time on such inane things to please casuals.
First, minimum facial customization is an expected 'feature' and even AoD had hair models and beards, limited as they were, so we aren't suddenly doing what we didn't do before. Why rub people the wrong way before they even start playing? Second, we haven't decided on the difficulty modes yet. At the bare minimum we'll add an extra mode with that 'beginner's luck' feat.

Binky

Cipher
Been looking at some of the builds on steam. Any of you fine fellows beat the demo with a 2-man party? Seems to be pretty weak feat-wise. Solo dudes can pick lone wolf. More charismatic ones can have sergeant, captain, and/or cult leader. Are duos currently the runt of the litter?

Black_Willow

Arcane
I remember the switcheroo VD did with AoD combat demo so I'm not installing this one, even if it's good.
What switcheroo? Newfag here, genuinely curious what you're talking about.
I assume he means that we ended up releasing a visual novel
It's a good thing that you acknowledge it.
I wish you good luck on your next game. Please consider adding anime graphics, I heard video novel fans like it in their games.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Been looking at some of the builds on steam. Any of you fine fellows beat the demo with a 2-man party? Seems to be pretty weak feat-wise. Solo dudes can pick lone wolf. More charismatic ones can have sergeant, captain, and/or cult leader. Are duos currently the runt of the litter?
I did 2-man for most of the game, took lone wolf near the end. Would probably have been better to keep someone alive than take lone wolf.

Having an extra set of attacks and hit points is pretty good at the end of the day.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

I did it with a sniper and Halstom (SMG), some missions solo to get more xp and skill progression, some with another teamate when i couldn't do it without any casualty.

Exactly what Jaedar said, it's great to have another meatbag and some firepower.
Never tried a solo run and it's not really appealing either, what's fun is having a team, even if it means your main character will be slightly weaker.

Besides, i'm quite sure solo runs involve more reloading because there's no one else to takes a bullet for you.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I had a pretty fun sniper run with 4 cha and using Mason as a bullet sponge tank/diversion all the way through.
I would guess solo snipers are hard to pull off?

Tigranes

Arcane

I often end up doing duos if not lone wolves, because I don't really want to run large parties in this kind of game. And it works OK in that sense. I can imagine that they might be weaker than full-size parties, of course.

Trash Player

Scholar
Solo sniper is way easier if built for durability than for alpha strike. That said, rifles are pretty much worse pistols.

Binky

Cipher
I asked because one guy can't be good at everything and as fun as my full party run was, those followers'll have their own agenda in the game. Smaller party, fewer people to keep happy.

I did remember there's another buddy coming along. And you won't have to share your exp.
10533.jpg

"Mellow greetings. What seems to be your boggle?"

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You could always call easy normal, normal hard and hard impossible if you're certain that so many people refused easy.

Yeah, I think that's good solution, cheap and easy.

Of course, 3 available option to change RNG is sort of difficulty option, but it isn't obvious at first.

Solo dudes can pick lone wolf. More charismatic ones can have sergeant, captain, and/or cult leader. Are duos currently the runt of the litter?

It's the same in Dungeon Rats, due at times feels weaker then solo.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm somewhat disappointed with the demo. The arena is made so that the enemy can close the distance within a single turn. The "mongolian horde" technique sometimes works since the player has to kill all the enemies, while the enemy only has to kill one party member for the player to reload. JA2 had more common sense in it.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
First, minimum facial customization is an expected 'feature' and even AoD had hair models and beards, limited as they were, so we aren't suddenly doing what we didn't do before.
i have to say, the first dozen or so characters i created in AoD used some of this... followed by an endless stream of default appearance Gaiuses and the occasional Juno

so, as far as i'm concerned, you could've cut that feature - but i understand you used it yourself when building NPCs so it's not a lot of wasted effort, as you do need all those appearance options to make the NPCs varied enough

jackofshadows

Magister
i have to say, the first dozen or so characters i created in AoD used some of this... followed by an endless stream of default appearance Gaiuses and the occasional Juno
Pretty much same here but CSG looks way better so I'm exited by at least same level customization. And as you said yourself, it works not only for PC/his companions.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The update is out.

CHANGELOG

System

- Changed initiative values from stats. Dex provides 6 points, Per 4 points.
- Tweaked defensive gain scores so that there's a bit more of a difference between armor and evasion gains.
- Added a new derived stat called Recoil Control: Every point in STR adds +3 THC for bursts and double shot.
- When an enemy is next to a character, both become engaged in close combat (can't react to other combatants, cover bonus is reduced by half).
- Graze range is affected by THC sum being lower than 0 (fixes shotguns having huge graze at max range and long burst becoming more accurate than short burst).
- Base graze chance is now 20%, from 15%.
- Looting in combat costs 4 AP.

Feats

- Juggernaut feat now adds +4 damage to melee grazes instead of +3 max melee damage.
- Dodge This! grants +10 aimed, +10 graze, +3 graze damage.
- Armored Warfare now also adds +5 armor handling.
- Sharpshooter requires Perception 8.
- Speedloader changed to Quick Fingers: Cuts Reload, Inventory Actions and Looting AP cost in half.
- Controlled Burst: Bursts and Double Shot cost 1 AP less to use. Requires Strength 8.
- New Feat: Heavy Hitter. Melee: Stagger +15, +0.15 Critical Damage. Knockdown Attack THC +10. Requires Strength 8.
- New Feat: Precise Strike. Melee: Aimed +10, +5 Critical Chance. Flurry Attack THC +10. Requires Perception 8.
- Gladiator now has +2 graze damage instead of +5 Critical Chance.
- Bloodlust extra critical is not used up by reaction shots, also it doesn't transfer between battles.
- Charger AP points is shown in the interface, and turn doesn't automatically end if they are still not used.

Characters

- Tweaked Mason build. Str is 10, Con is 9, has Juggernaut instead of Warrior.
- Billy has 1 point less in Cha, 1 more in Int.
- Halston has 1 point less in Per, 1 more in Str.
- Tweaked the starting position and stats of several enemies.

Attacks

- Double Shot: Critical damage 1.25x (from 1.5x), cs mod +10 (from +15). It's now affected by Recoil Control, getting a THC bonus, and Controlled Burst, lowering it's AP by 1.
- Aimed Burst: Removed the THC and graze bonus compared to short burst (kept the CS bonus). Aimed and Recoil Control add THC, Controlled Burst lowers it's AP by 1. Single shot SMG and Automatic Rifles can use it. Has an unique icon.
- Melee aimed attacks critical multiplier is now the same as the ballistic ones.

Items

- Rebalanced prices.
- Lowered machete and chopper interrupt chance.
- Machete and chopper now use double strike instead of flurry.
- Bar Mace has +1 damage.
- Utility Bar has -1 damage, cost 5 AP (from 6 AP).
- Changed combat reflexes implant to be +4 AP, -4HP.
- Tweaked several shotgun stats.
- Added extra items to Hit & Kill.

Interface

- Improved tag button.
- Character Creation warning applies to tags and feats.
- Added more tattoos and scars.
- Added a new hairstyles.
- Rearranged feat categories (replaced CS with Combat and added all combat related feats there).
- Improved feat box visuals, and now they appear in red if you don't meet the requirements.
- Added initiative to the turn order, highlight and center on enemy on clicking.
- You can reload your whole party by SHIFT-R/4 or SHIFT+Reload Icon.
- Attack extra info moves below the cursor if it would go out of screen bounds.
- Added combat reputation.

Fixes and improvements

- Improved collision in Winfield's fight (opened gate won't block shots anymore).
- Disabled quicksaving during combat via pause menu button.
- Improved shotguns animations.
- Fixes to drag and drop in trade menu.
- Fixed characters getting stuck in collisions in combat movement and ending up mid-tiles.
- Fixed issues with combat placement area.
- Improved item comparison tooltip.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Right now I trying to figure out fight with Big Jim (yeah, I have taken my time before atempting to play demo through end), but whole fight feels overwhelming. Running as lonely wolf smg user. Has anyone tips for this fight?
Maybe something wrong with my build? There screenshots of my character and inventory (gadget parts isn't upgraded)
DUGLOuz.png
d1ZWmft.png

Binky

Cipher
Right now I trying to figure out fight with Big Jim (yeah, I have taken my time before atempting to play demo through end), but whole fight feels overwhelming. Running as lonely wolf smg user. Has anyone tips for this fight?
Maybe something wrong with my build? There screenshots of my character and inventory (gadget parts isn't upgraded)

You've only got 183 credits left. You can buy and use a low-grade gas grenade. Use that flashbang too. Then keep retreating and try to kill them via reaction fire. Why aren't you using the distortion field? It's way better than the shield.

Ideally, you'd have a medium-grade gas grenade, a flashbang, a smoke grenade, and a distortion field equipped for this fight. Steal Halstom's Spitfire if you can't beat the fight. Put it in weapon slot 2. Hell, strip the equipment from every guy and sell it if you're desperate. Or take one guy to serve as a distraction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom