Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
This isn't an oversight DalekFlay. Read the thread on the GOG forums, GOG intentionally programmed the DLCs to activate similarly to how they activate on Steam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gargaune

Magister
What I'm not sure what to make of is why the Seasons Pass is even offered under the offline installers if it's just dead weight on your hard drive. It could indicate that this was, indeed, an error, and GOG do intend to have the DLCs playable off Galaxy, or it could point to miscommunication among GOG staff... Or, finally, it could mean CD Projekt have hired the No Man's Sky developers.

racofer

Thread Incliner
It gets better:

https://af.gog.com/forum/general/du...ailable_on_gogcom_f6c95/post429?as=1649904300

So the reason was found out by a cracking group called Plaza. Which for the first time actually cracked a Gog Galaxy game by emulating Ghost a protocol used by the EXE to wrap steam calls into galaxy to activate DLC.
If it were the 1st April, I'd have believed that image was a Photoshopped April Fool's joke. So basically, whilst the Steam version comes with one client check, the GOG version actually comes with two : 1. The Steam client DRM is still there hard-coded into the game but its Steam calls are "interpreted" into 2. Galaxy client calls? It's interesting that even Human Revolution doesn't work without common.dll present which itself appears to be a renamed steam_api.dll, and appears to suffer from the same abnormally long startup times that other recent AAA games we've seen (Dishonored, Bioshock 2 & Infinite, etc) where the DRM-Free "offline" installers sit there pinging something on the network for 10-15s before eventually deciding to start normally whilst the DRM'd Steam client starts up in 2-3s...) And all this is "simpler" than Square Enix just sending out a clean copy?...

Edit: Just tested Deus Ex Human Revolution (both on the same SSD, offline installers, no Galaxy ever installed):-

Steam DX:HR = 3.2s startup time (0.6s client check + 2.6s game startup)

GOG DX:HR = 18.6s startup time (16s making over a dozen pre-game network port scans followed by the same 2.6s actual game startup)

Here's the network log showing it scanning through a whole slew of local ports it shouldn't even be touching:-
fetPNQE.png

I think this whole thing confirms fears some people have had here with newer AAA games - unlike older pre 2010 AAA where they made the game as a "clean" copy, then used that as a base to add DRM at the last minute for different platforms (Steam, uPlay, retail disc, etc), it seems like MT / DRM mechanics for "Steam only" games are so embedded that there really is no "clean build" to use for a DRM-Free build to send out to GOG years later, they merely send it out with Steam client integration intact but then hack their way around that via replacement steam_api.dll's that consist of some cheap loopback call that mimic a "yes" from the Steam client (little different from how "scene" cracks work), and then on top of that "interpret" then force-feed it through Galaxy, so even for games that don't involve DX:MD style DRM, it's badly implemented enough that it still involves a noticeable startup performance penalty running significantly slower than both DRM'd Steam and illegal scene versions...

All GOG needs to do is say: The below DLC will only work with Galaxy installed, that should cover their butts. The rest of the game functions without issue at all. I would love to see them actually fix it but i doubt they can. unless they dig into the Plaza crack and copy what they did.
More transparency is always welcome but if they did that to "cover their butts", then they'd probably be even less likely to properly fix it as time went by (as we've seen with FEAR where so called "inactive dormant remnants" of DRM are still quite active & visible in the game's two expansions where the SecuROM blocks the game from starting with a DRM error message if Process Monitor is running in the background that remains unfixed years later...)

The day Galaxy becomes compulsory for single player games though is the day I simply stop buying here. In fact I've already reached the point where I don't buy most new AAA titles at time of release but rather wait a few months until the next sale precisely to avoid "unwelcome surprises". The best version of Bioshock 1 is still the Humble DRM-Free which starts up lightning fast due to no Steam OR Galaxy integration. It's just a pity GOG doesn't have the balls to demand that publishers provide the equivalent of that to make offline installers for newer AAA games without trying too hard to become Steam-Junior on an inadequate budget.

Meanwhile, the scene release is clean of any of that, plus all DLC works offline and it includes all bonus stuff not found in the GOG version.
:neveraskedforthis:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This isn't an oversight DalekFlay. Read the thread on the GOG forums, GOG intentionally programmed the DLCs to activate similarly to how they activate on Steam.

Doesn't really mean much in the current situation. One dude might have made that decision from his house with consulting. GOG have always promised Galaxy would be optional, and as noted above the DLC have offline installer downloads. It'll be fixed, or GOG will betray half their audience for almost no reason. I know which I think is more likely.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
time to gripe:

weapons in DXMD are really bland and lacking in granularity. Why, for example, would i ever use a pistol except for LARPing? Its not like its faster or handles better than the combat rifle, which by the way is the best weapon overall. The machine pistol is completely pointless if you have a combat rifle. Matter of fact I think ill just carry the combat rifle and the grenade launcher for the remainder of the game.

Shit like radar, radar with vision cones and an aiming reticle should be augs you have to invest in, rather than boilerplate handholding for casuals. Thankfully i can turn all that gay shit off, and the game doesnt really suffer (i.e isnt built around the assumption that you play with these things on by default). I played on hard from the get go and all that shit was on, except for the aiming reticle.

MD has the same problem that HR had w/r/t non-lethal vs lethal which is the same problem every game that tries to do this has: NL is always more rewarding in XP and yet isnt significantly more difficult than lethal. Like why would i ever shove my arm penis through a goons skull when i can just judo throw him and hes rendered out of action indefinitely unless his buddies find him which is not going to happen because i can turn him into a pretzel and shove him behind a bin full of volleyballs. The MGS series is the only one that did this right, because in MGS your methods of non-lethally neutralizing people all had short windows and recovered goons could and would make problems for you, so the choice of chokin a nigga out vs .45 ACPing his brains all over the wall was much more meaningful.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Shit like radar, radar with vision cones and an aiming reticle should be augs you have to invest in,

They are. And the pistol can use EMP ammo and takes less space in inventory. Goddammit you moron.

He's a cretin.

And yeah, the vision features like cones need praxis investment. In my NL playthrough I neglected them for half the run and then punched myself in the face when I finally got them and saw how much of a QoL they are.

bddevil

Educated
This is the core issue with the 'talent tree'. Too many things only require only two initial praxis and are easily maxable.

Also, game becomes piss easy with cones and IR vision up until about the third Prague visit. When you have mutilple cops, robots drones etc on the streets.
Removing cones and other handholding manages to at least have you explore the LoS of guards.

Also, imo it was a mistake to do a 'or' mission with bank/bomb maker. Both just should've been a part of the main storyline. Better yet, the heist shouldve been a sidequest. This choice really does nothing but remove content from an already short-ish game.

Vatnik Wumao
This is the core issue with the 'talent tree'. Too many things only require only two initial praxis and are easily maxable.

Also, game becomes piss easy with cones and IR vision up until about the third Prague visit. When you have mutilple cops, robots drones etc on the streets.
Removing cones and other handholding manages to at least have you explore the LoS of guards.

Also, imo it was a mistake to do a 'or' mission with bank/bomb maker. Both just should've been a part of the main storyline. Better yet, the heist shouldve been a sidequest. This choice really does nothing but remove content from an already short-ish game.

The taser trivializes enemies even in the third Prague visit. Its like an overpowered magic missile that multi targets.

Vatnik Wumao

The taser trivializes enemies even in the third Prague visit. Its like an overpowered magic missile that multi targets.

Falksi

Arcane
MD has the same problem that HR had w/r/t non-lethal vs lethal which is the same problem every game that tries to do this has: NL is always more rewarding in XP and yet isnt significantly more difficult than lethal. Like why would i ever shove my arm penis through a goons skull when i can just judo throw him and hes rendered out of action indefinitely unless his buddies find him which is not going to happen because i can turn him into a pretzel and shove him behind a bin full of volleyballs. The MGS series is the only one that did this right, because in MGS your methods of non-lethally neutralizing people all had short windows and recovered goons could and would make problems for you, so the choice of chokin a nigga out vs .45 ACPing his brains all over the wall was much more meaningful.

Yup, it's not even a contest as to which way to take enemies down between knock out & stab with funky arms.

XP seems a bit out of place in the newer games anyway due to the mechanical nature of upgrades. If one franchize could learn from Underail's oddity system, it's this one.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Why, for example, would i ever use a pistol

EMP ammo

EMP ammo is readily available for the machine pistol and shotgun too, so again, why would i ever use a pistol and no inventory space is not a legitimate concern, especially considering that pistol is taking up slots for something a BETTER weapon can do already. Its redundant.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Why, for example, would i ever use a pistol

EMP ammo

EMP ammo is readily available for the machine pistol and shotgun too, so again, why would i ever use a pistol and no inventory space is not a legitimate concern, especially considering that pistol is taking up slots for something a BETTER weapon can do already. Its redundant.

The machine pistol is weak and inaccurate, not a very good weapon overall (as you have pointed out earlier). The shotgun is powerful in short range, but also quite inaccurate in medium-long range, and you can't put a silencer on it, so it's useless if you want to be stealthy.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why, for example, would i ever use a pistol except for LARPing? Its not like its faster or handles better than the combat rifle, which by the way is the best weapon overall. The machine pistol is completely pointless if you have a combat rifle. Matter of fact I think ill just carry the combat rifle and the grenade launcher for the remainder of the game.
While I agree, this is pretty much a standard problem for video game weapons - developers don't make every weapon unique, so sometimes it's going to be a "choice" between two weapons who do the same thing but one is stronger than the other.

The real CRIME of HR/MD weapons is the visual design which makes them look like they're from the year 2100 or something.

Shit like radar, radar with vision cones and an aiming reticle should be augs you have to invest in, rather than boilerplate handholding for casuals. Thankfully i can turn all that gay shit off, and the game doesnt really suffer (i.e isnt built around the assumption that you play with these things on by default).
I turned off the radar the first time I started the game, have never played with it on, and never felt I needed it. I love this about the game.

MD has the same problem that HR had w/r/t non-lethal vs lethal which is the same problem every game that tries to do this has: NL is always more rewarding in XP and yet isnt significantly more difficult than lethal. Like why would i ever shove my arm penis through a goons skull when i can just judo throw him and hes rendered out of action indefinitely unless his buddies find him which is not going to happen because i can turn him into a pretzel and shove him behind a bin full of volleyballs.
:lol:
It's also pretty nonsensical - why would ending someone's life make more noise than knocking them out? They can't make noise anymore, they're dead! If it was reversed, then the higher XP reward for non-lethal takedowns would be earned.
True. I tested the lethal counterpart, the Nanoblade cannon (or whatever it's called) and I really didn't see the point of it. It's lethal, doesn't auto-aim, cannot multi-shoot, and I think it even makes noise.

The shotgun is powerful in short range, but also quite inaccurate in medium-long range, and you can't put a silencer on it, so it's useless if you want to be stealthy.
You actually can put a silencer on the shotgun in this game. I remember using it to silently destroy doors, probably to save ammo because I had shells to spare. The silencer really cut down on the damage though.

Last edited:

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
You actually can put a silencer on the shotgun in this game. I remember using it to silently destroy doors, probably to save ammo because I had shells to spare. The silencer really cut down on the damage though.

You're right! I stand corrected. I just assumed it doesn't use a silencer because i've never seen a shotgun with silencer in a game before.

bddevil

Educated

reminds me why I barely used it. third visit in prague is when things get relatively challenging without cones (of course without invisibility...*shudder*) if you want to travel around and visit each metro location. it's actually the most fun I've had in this game stealth-wise I'd say.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I only played through once so my memories are vague, but I remember despite being a lethal silenced pistol guy the third or so visit to Prague had cops everywhere and my "good guy" Jensen didn't kill cops. I never got invisibility and had the HUD off, so no radar. It made for a nice challenge, and I still remember the reloads in certain areas with lots of cops and robots everywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom