Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Parent deletes his kid's Minecraft world as punishment for sleeping late, asks if he's the asshole

Vorark

Erudite
Parenting counseling on reddit...

:hmmm:

If the parent was so intent on teaching a "lesson" this way, would've been better to at least back up all the files. Let the kid throw a fit, quietly restore it all a week later, let the boy turn on the computer and see it's all there, untouched. Would still be a douche move, just less so.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The threat is always worse than the punishment. Now that this poor kid's lost the most important thing to him, what does he have to lose? Why should he wake up at 7 when he's already lost his favorite thing?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
The parent is all kinds of dumb for not spelling the consequence out explicitly too.
This way leads to the child learning to evaluate risk vs rewards, and the mentality of anything being okay so long as they are not caught. It should have been enough that the father was disappointed. The threat of consequences should have been unnecessary; the disappointment having already happened, and being consequence enough.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
So that's how you harvest karma on reddit, posting how you abuse your kids and get upvoted... fascinating society.

Norfleet

Well, obviously, this kid has now learned a very important lesson in backing up your files.

I don't see what the parent was hoping to accomplish by this, though, other than breeding a lifetime of distrust. Children are biologically wired to wake up late and trying to make them fight biology in this manner is destructive to their health and does nothing to improve their ability to learn. You ask yourself if kids ever actually learn anything during their first few hours of school. Or really, any hours of school, since the school system these days is terribad.

I had massive trouble getting up early as a kid as well. Maybe the fucking issue lies with the kid not being a morning person goddam.
It's actually biological, yes. Children are specifically wired to wake up later. Scientists have already questioned the logic of having school start so early as a result.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The parent is all kinds of dumb for not spelling the consequence out explicitly too.
This way leads to the child learning to evaluate risk vs rewards, and the mentality of anything being okay so long as they are not caught. It should have been enough that the father was disappointed. The threat of consequences should have been unnecessary; the disappointment having already happened, and being consequence enough.
Run this by me again, please. I'm reading it but not quite getting it.

Norfleet

When does the world rip your creations from you for being late to do nothing in particular?
Many oldschool games were basically Insomnia Games. Games like Tradewars, BRE, SRE, Utopia, etc., mostly revolved around being compulsively awake, CAN'T SLEEP, CLOWN WILL EAT ME. Going to sleep could result in your entire empire being destroyed while you weren't looking, as sleep was seen as a sign of weakness and invitation to attack. Some of those newer crafting-world survival games sort of recapture this insomnia feel, where everything you built will be destroyed by others if you go to sleep, so instead you sit awake sleeplessly camping with your sniper rifle to shoot anyone who tries. CAN'T SLEEP, CLOWN WILL EAT ME.

Overboard

Arcane
JvfbXbA.jpg

Buddy's next game:
2424BB9D00000578-2879015-image-a-13_1418909913555.jpg

Black

Arcane
Based parent for teaching his kid important lesson: no matter how hard and long you work on something important, some clueless asshole will destroy it.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You can always see the positive in bad things. At least this event will teach the kid the value of making backups. Better it be his minecraft world, even with that amount of effort put into it, than something he deems important at a later date whether it's work related, nerd hobbies like game modding or even something as simple as a digital picture of an event dear to him (something a lot of people forget to do and can hurt. Digital pictures aren't like film. Film gets damaged over time but doesn't instantly cease to be usable. With the computer hygiene of a lot of people, lots of visual memories are just going to permanently go away as we've transitioned to a digital world.).

Nothing digital could last a single lifetime unless it is in multiple copies across multiple mediums. If his dumb parent could erase his minecraft world that simply then it was just one hard drive failure or cryptolocker away from disappearing too.

Remember kids, never trust computers.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
the real parenting mistake here is letting your 9 year old spend huge amounts of time on videogames in the first place.

DraQ

Arcane
Okay, fine. For some reason (the work on a farm, right?) they have to wake up at 7am.

Unplug the god damned computer and hide it from the kid. The issue any sane person has here is not the enforcement of discipline or a schedule; the issue is that the parent deleted a year's worth of creativity. What is the fucking point of that?

"Son, you have to wake up on schedule. If you don't, I will destroy your cherished creations." When does this happen in real life? When does a novelist or a photographer have all of his shit confiscated and destroyed because he can't pay his bills or is late to his job at some bullshit restaurant? That's not even what fucking happens. You shove your USB into your pockets and realize you can't be late to work and you live in your car or on the streets until you can crash on a friend's couch or save enough for a new place.

This parent resents their child's creativity. I always thought my parents were assholes because they didn't give a damn about my writing and wanted me to be a good student with a nice, normal job. But they never took my books or my writing and fucking burned them to destroy my sense of self and my sense of being creative.

If you don't think that's what this parent is doing, destroying this child's sense of uniqueness and creativity, you are fucking idiotic.
I really think murdering kid's puppy with a fucking lawnmower would help put the point across.
Do they have a lawnmower?
Maybe they should buy a puppy?

DraQ

Arcane
the real parenting mistake here is letting your 9 year old spend huge amounts of time on videogames in the first place.
It's not like they have many alternatives these days.

Sure getting kid to read or draw, or play with something like physical legos would have been preferable.
The biggest mistake the parents did was giving their child access to the PC in the first place. :smug:
Should have bought him console instead, amirite?
:troll:

Cromwell

Arcane
If he sleeps in (especially through a set clock) he probably was up to late. since he is nine its his parents job to make sure hes asleep at a given time. If thats taken care of he will never sleep through a clock. Since he does I think its time to break the mothers legs, to make some point about doing her duties as a mom.

I see no way that you can force yourself to wake up at a specific time just by willing it especially not if youre a 9 year old.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
It's not like they have many alternatives these days.

Sure getting kid to read or draw, or play with something like physical legos would have been preferable.
The biggest mistake the parents did was giving their child access to the PC in the first place. :smug:
Should have bought him console instead, amirite?
:troll:

They have plenty of alternatives, parents dont provide alternatives for the same reason parents never intervene until something is actually a problem: they suck, and having a digital nanny is convenient. A kid glued to a digital fantasy world is a kid who isn't bothering you and is letting you be self-indulgent. And self-indulgence is the rot behind almost every problem in life. And the kid is learning how to behave in the world, so gamer parents, when your cute little quiet boy who loves to spend hours in zelda or bethestard land grows up to be a fucking loser that could be diagnosed with pathological demand avoidance despite not even being autistic, well... dont claim ignorance of how it happened.

Cromwell

Arcane
That really depends on how a person's biological clock is set up.
9yo or not.

I dont think that matters. If your clock says you need y-x amount of sleep you need that and everything out of that will not let you wake up. If I myself for example only get 4-5 hours of sleep theres a good risk I sleep through a clock or wake up but only long enough to go back to sleep. what does she expect him to do, tell himself a thousand times to please wake up at seven every night?

Ash

Arcane
Discipline is important. Keeping your kid away from autistic online communities is important. Deleting the one-year project is madness though. Take the machine away for a few weeks and regulate time played when returned. Not delete one year's worth of work that's just stupid.

As I type, my son is reciting the Presidents of the USA in chronological order.

So when you gonna teach the boy something of value?

DraQ

Arcane
That really depends on how a person's biological clock is set up.
9yo or not.

I dont think that matters. If your clock says you need y-x amount of sleep you need that and everything out of that will not let you wake up. If I myself for example only get 4-5 hours of sleep theres a good risk I sleep through a clock or wake up but only long enough to go back to sleep. what does she expect him to do, tell himself a thousand times to please wake up at seven every night?
Some people can actually set up a pretty accurate alarm clock in their minds.
I could at some point, but I am not sure if I still have that ability.
Probably not.
It's been hell of a lot time since I last used it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom