Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Parent deletes his kid's Minecraft world as punishment for sleeping late, asks if he's the asshole

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The important lesson being "never trust anyone because they might fuck your life over, keep everything secret" sure.

That kid's gonna have major trust issues down the line.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's fascinating to see people in this thread assume (based on nothing as far as I can tell) whether the parent is the mother or the father. I assumed father right away and it didn't even occur to me that it might be the mother. Probably something Freudian to read into this.

Anyway, as has been said, the kid has learned a valuable lesson - never share anything you care about with this parent, and also sleep in as much as you want now.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The amount of sperging out over this here is a bit surprising to me. As a child, my school principle had a wooden paddle on the wall behind his desk, and many of my neighborhood pals were whipped on the regular by their parents. Even I was given the hard hand once or twice, though usually a stern look or 'HEY!' from pops was enough to chill me out. Part of the credibility of parental authority is children's fear of it.

There's a difference between a swift beating and destroying a year's worth of creative effort.

It's a fucking video game, bro. You're getting too bent out of shape over a series of 1s and 0s.

I've known people whose parents made them buy a POS car just so they would be forced to rebuild it. I've known people who have been forced to change schools because of various reasons. And I've certainly known people whose parents made them ditch the love of their life over drugs/bad friends/etc. Deleting a castle in Minecraft is chump change. If the kid was 16 then the symbolism might have been more substantial and the burn worse. The kid's 9. He'll get over it and learn an important lesson.

I'd argue it's actually worse this happened at a younger age. This event will be processed with a less mature mind and remembered with those same emotions.

As Jarl says, the kid will have deep trust issues probably for life.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
The amount of sperging out over this here is a bit surprising to me. As a child, my school principle had a wooden paddle on the wall behind his desk, and many of my neighborhood pals were whipped on the regular by their parents. Even I was given the hard hand once or twice, though usually a stern look or 'HEY!' from pops was enough to chill me out. Part of the credibility of parental authority is children's fear of it.

There's a difference between a swift beating and destroying a year's worth of creative effort.

It's a fucking video game, bro. You're getting too bent out of shape over a series of 1s and 0s.

I've known people whose parents made them buy a POS car just so they would be forced to rebuild it. I've known people who have been forced to change schools because of various reasons. And I've certainly known people whose parents made them ditch the love of their life over drugs/bad friends/etc. Deleting a castle in Minecraft is chump change. If the kid was 16 then the symbolism might have been more substantial and the burn worse. The kid's 9. He'll get over it and learn an important lesson.

I'd argue it's actually worse this happened at a younger age. This event will be processed with a less mature mind and remembered with those same emotions.

As Jarl says, the kid will have deep trust issues probably for life.

I doubt it. Either way, aside from the post we're assuming a lot of details here. From my own examples I'd add the point that I've had friends that were traumatized with the absolute worse a human can go through and came out ok. On the other hand, I've had friends that practically went suicidal over the most mundane problems. A buddy of mine was in his college days and was talking long distance to his girl friend at Boston U. He ran up a $1200 phone bill and his dad had to pay for it. He went on about it forever, even going so far as contemplating quitting college and moving out of state. Over a fucking phone bill. Ultimately, the bill was paid, he apologized to his dad and life went on.

Life's tough, and you'll get as much out of it as you put into it. If you are right, and this kid is perma-fucked because his mommy or daddy deleted his Minecraft world, then getting dumped at the alter, fired from his favorite job, or losing half his family in a flood will ruin him forever because he never received nor ever learned the skills necessary to survive the madness.

Codex Year of the Donut
Imagine an artist is working on a painting for a year but it's a digital painting, so it doesn't matter if you delete it after they shared it with you to show how proud of it they are. Just 1s and 0s bro, no need to be upset.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Imagine an artist is working on a painting for a year but it's a digital painting, so it doesn't matter if you delete it after they shared it with you to show how proud of it they are. Just 1s and 0s bro, no need to be upset.

I've known few 9 year old artists in my life. Certainly none that used the skill to pay their rent with it.

Cadmus

Arcane
This really got me thinking.
Here's some points that I think are important:
  1. it's on Reddit so it's fake and gay, but let's pretend...
  2. making the kid do stupid useless shit for no reason bears high probability the kid will realize he's being forced to do stupid boring shit and not wanna do it, rightfully so I think. Waking up early when there's no school is useless. Some people just never wake up early if they don't have to and they will model their whole lives to avoid having to wake up early. I don't understand it myself though, I wake up at 6am regularly.
  3. I will try real hard to prevent my kid from entering some retarded autistic endeavour like Minecrat, especially at the age of 9 and I think it's fair to judge the parent is a failed retarded moron here
  4. deleting this retarded Minefork or Crafnite world is a sign of autism by itself because it's got nothing to do with anything, only wanting to do something drastic to get authority. The parent will not get real authority by doing this imo but might get the kid to do what the parent wants them to do, sure.
  5. In the end, the parent is at fault for everything and especially for getting into this situation in the first place. Fuck, I know multiple parents who started their own kindergartens and even school just to give their kids good start in life and instill in the kids what they consider important lessons or way to be a good person. So letting your 8 year old play Minefork, building a world there for a year, makes you a soyboy failure.

DraQ

Arcane
If this shit happened to me at 9 I would have held grudge deep into adulthood.

Imagine you're an infomorph running in a post-singularity matrioshka-brain and someone deletes you.
You're just 1s and 0s bro, no need to be ups... Actually, you wouldn't be upset due to being dead.
Parent deletes his kid

Last edited:

Silly Germans

It's fascinating to see people in this thread assume (based on nothing as far as I can tell) whether the parent is the mother or the father. I assumed father right away and it didn't even occur to me that it might be the mother. Probably something Freudian to read into this.

Anyway, as has been said, the kid has learned a valuable lesson - never share anything you care about with this parent, and also sleep in as much as you want now.

I am not sure why people think that the kid would now sleep in as long as it wants.
You don't burn yourself on a hot plate and then start thinking "Hey now that i have burned
myself, lets touch the hot plate again". It is easy to come up with other forms of castigation
that are also painful. Not that i recommend it.

zool

Arcane
Lots of moral judgment and parenting advice ITT, mostly coming from people with no kids I reckon. Raising kids is exhausting and when're you're exhausted, you sometimes pull retarded stuff like what that parent did. No argument about the fact that it was a dick move, especially for such a lame reason as waking up too late when there's no school.

Posting about it on Reddit to try and find some retroactive justification, now that's pathetic.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Cadmus

Arcane
Lots of moral judgment and parenting advice ITT, mostly coming from people with no kids I reckon. Raising kids is exhausting and when're you're exhausted, you sometimes pull retarded stuff like what that parent did.
Had he posted something more introspective we might not have been so judgemental. On the other hand, he posted this specifically looking for judgement.
Yeah raising kids is exhausting yadda yadda, don't mean all people do the same shit job of it though.

DraQ

Arcane
Driving or surgery can also be exhausting and sometimes you pull retarded shit because of that.
And then someone dies.
So no excuses.

Besides shaping an entire fucking human that will be a future citizen and hopefully hold some responsible position is a responsible task in itself and it is tragic that it's mostly handled by irresponsible morons.

Silly Germans

I am not sure why people think that the kid would now sleep in as long as it wants.
Ostensibly nothing to lose for the kid. You've already destroyed the power source of his autism, you can't top that now.
I hope the kid isn't that clueless. Otherwise it might be in for more hard lesson. Lets hope the kids Minecraft skills have improved so
it can learn more than one lesson per year.

This thread should be moved to GD btw.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
If this shit happened to me at 9 I would have held grudge deep into adulthood.

Imagine you're an infomorph running in a post-singularity matrioshka-brain and someone deletes you.
You're just 1s and 0s bro, no need to be ups... Actually, you wouldn't be upset due to being dead.
Parent deletes his kid

I'll certainly remember this brave stand by the internet clan. For more than 25 years we've been making the 'sexism and violence in video games is a stupid reason to enforce censorship. They're just video games, bro!' Now the script is flipped and vidya junkies are saying, 'except in cases of parental abuse when they delete a kid's Minecraft save. Then it's real as shit.' Bit of the ole 'having cake and eating it too' argument.

But the best possible end to all of this - the kid will realize that his previous castle was shit anyway and decide to build a better one.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
wake up at 6am regularly.
Why?
It might sound stupid but I'm looking forward to the new day. Played some Disciples today, cleaned the kitchen, went for a 5km run, all before work. Gives me plenty of time to do all I want. I see no reason to sleep any longer. But I understand some people are wired the opposite way.

I usually go to bed at 3 AM so getting up at 6 would be pure terror :M

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Ostensibly nothing to lose for the kid. You've already destroyed the power source of his autism, you can't top that now.
I hope the kid isn't that clueless. Otherwise it might be in for more hard lesson. Lets hope the kids Minecraft skills have improved so
it can learn more than one lesson per year.

This thread should be moved to GD btw.

Yeah let's just escalate from there.

Start out by deleting one year of creative work for the crime of sleeping 2 hours more than allowed, and then just make it worse if the offense repeats.

What could possibly be worse for a 9 year old than getting a creative project he invested all his efforts into and was proud of wiped out? What's the mom/dad going to do next as punishment?
"If you keep sleeping in late, I'm gonna smash your computer with a baseball bat!"
"If you keep sleeping in late, I'm gonna drag you to the doctor and have you circumcised!"
"If you keep sleeping in late, I'm gonna break your fingers so you can't use that keyboard anymore!"

No, really, where do you escalate from there without becoming physically abusive?

Dyskolos

Cipher
The issue is less the individual instance - because, extremes aside, who can say with confidence what will or won't stay with and warp someone - than if it's a fragment of a pattern of behavior on the parent's part. And the pattern can either be already recurring or the start of how they deal with the kid's 'disobedience' going forward into teenage years. Either way enough instances of over-response (from the kid's perspective) and arbitrary powerplays (from the kid's perspective) will land you more resentment than you'll already be creating through natural parenting and only increase the communication gap through teenage years, if not into adulthood. Kid may well be a little shitter regardless of how you play situations but something like this isn't ever going to make dealing with that easier. So congrats on allahu-akbaring yourself.

Cadmus

Arcane
I've been thinking about the screens for kids issue lately. Got some friends whose 2,5yo already spends hours on the ipad, it seems totally horrific to me. Of course the friend tells me I'll do the same there's no other way blabla. Got some other friends whose kid is about 3,5 yo and most fun he has is chopping wood or cutting wood and that just seems absolutely cool to me. What do you guys think?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom