Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Usually when the writing in WOTR is bad, it feels like it was lifted straight from the modules.

Siege of Dragonspear of Pathfinder then, huh?

Have you played Kingmaker yet? Or Deadfire for that matter?

No, on the latter, but I'm on chapter 2 of Kingmaker at the moment.

guestposting

Educated
Usually when the writing in WOTR is bad, it feels like it was lifted straight from the modules.

Siege of Dragonspear of Pathfinder then, huh?

Have you played Kingmaker yet? Or Deadfire for that matter?

No, on the latter, but I'm on chapter 2 of Kingmaker at the moment.

You don’t need to worry about Amber Scott’s... unique voice. Let me put it this way: there’s plenty of dialogue that’s higher quality than Kingmaker, but when it’s bad you can get big blocks of plodding backstory. I’m betting the worst stuff is placeholder text given that there are still a few totally blank dialogue nodes in chapter 2.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
The stretch goal companion is the only one who’s truly cringe and I’d be shocked if he doesn’t get an editing pass (this character is so unfinished that he just disappears halfway through chapter 2, so he’s clearly a work in progress).

Cringe how? Edgelord Cringe? Loner Antihero Cringe?

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Any details about the succubus companion romance questline?
The target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw against

I agree that a high level char can survive but it is from D&D 5e. On Pathfinder, Succubus are far nastier ( https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/demon/succubus/ ) but the companion is probably high level too. She is not the average succubus. Resist the manipulation of Nocticula is far harder than any succubus. On Kingmaker, you can romance even a Fey...
spoiler]

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So far the encounters are harder than PfK on Core difficulty (it is a new difficulty option).

People who complained about the Spider Swarm in PfK are going to get fucked hard here.

One of the optional encounters has the enemy use Greater Teleport to get to my backside and fucks everybody.

Enemy mages seem more willing to use their spells. And then you have the enemies throwing bodies at you while in the backline reach weapon using enemies are using Divine Favor etc to self buffs and then smack you from behind the meatshields while their Cleric is spamming Channel Negative Energy to fuck you up.
That sounds real cool. I think I remember them saying that encounters will be different based on difficulty instead of just bloated numbers. Have you seen anything like this yet? Or are we back to more HP and higher modifiers?
At the Core difficulty, enemy stats are the same as in bestiary. only enemy count is higher which is adjustable as well

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
So far the encounters are harder than PfK on Core difficulty (it is a new difficulty option).

People who complained about the Spider Swarm in PfK are going to get fucked hard here.

One of the optional encounters has the enemy use Greater Teleport to get to my backside and fucks everybody.

Enemy mages seem more willing to use their spells. And then you have the enemies throwing bodies at you while in the backline reach weapon using enemies are using Divine Favor etc to self buffs and then smack you from behind the meatshields while their Cleric is spamming Channel Negative Energy to fuck you up.
That sounds real cool. I think I remember them saying that encounters will be different based on difficulty instead of just bloated numbers. Have you seen anything like this yet? Or are we back to more HP and higher modifiers?
At the Core difficulty, enemy stats are the same as in bestiary. only enemy count is higher which is adjustable as well

Five or six unique mini bosses before you even get to level up (from three to four)? Much awesomeness.

Desiderius

Patron
Zen Archer companion:

Starts with three shots (Flurry + Rapid) and Combat Reflexes, and all three Snap Shot feats are in game, then can get Cleaving Shot for his first Mythic Power, which gives him 10ft AoE on crits/kills.
Flurry and rapid does not stack ,I think.

He starts with Rapid, so it had better. 90% sure it is.

guestposting

Educated
The stretch goal companion is the only one who’s truly cringe and I’d be shocked if he doesn’t get an editing pass (this character is so unfinished that he just disappears halfway through chapter 2, so he’s clearly a work in progress).

He’s a bunch of seedy rogue stereotypes turned up to 11. Needs to be toned down.

The edgelord Aasimar Oracle is actually handled pretty well. Like a diet Marquis de Sade.

Desiderius

Patron

He’s a bunch of seedy rogue stereotypes turned up to 11. Needs to be toned down.

The edgelord Aasimar Oracle is actually handled pretty well. Like a diet Marquis de Sade.

The de Sade is a facade. More like de Maistre. Will be interesting to see if you can get him to true Neutral where he belongs.

golgepapaz

Augur
Zen Archer companion:

Starts with three shots (Flurry + Rapid) and Combat Reflexes, and all three Snap Shot feats are in game, then can get Cleaving Shot for his first Mythic Power, which gives him 10ft AoE on crits/kills.

Class description says it cannot use both. my in game experience is same as well. I'll count again...

Efe

Erudite
does succusbus companion have +7 natural armor?

golgepapaz

Augur
Zen Archer companion:

Class description says it cannot use both. my in game experience is same as well. I'll count again...
Yep There are same number of attacks albeit -2 modifier with rapidshot which should also apply to flurry but does not.
Nvm. unchained monks does not get the penalty

Desiderius

Patron
So you're saying he starts with Rapid Shot feat which does nothing because redundant?

So when I saw three attacks that was just the free Haste you get in Garrison?

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How's the rotating camera? I'm bit worried about that one, as I prefer not to constantly use it to get a good view as is often the case in isometric games with one.

Some area are clearly designed for you to use it. The alpha was set in a city with tall buildings and all. On default perspective (or even if you just move the camera once), your view will be blocked by those buildings. You absolutely need to rotate.

Buildings are semi-transparent.

They are. But in case of Market District there are times even with semi-transparent building, due to awkward angle (say in a small pathway between a cliff and tall buildings) you will be hard-pressed not to rotate the camera because it is awkward to play, especially with combat.

In PfK the surrounding walls are usually lower (like indoor or in caves). In WoR the walls/buildings can fully cover your view on some viewing angles, especially on edges of the maps.

Desiderius

Patron
7 STR, so this oracle can't even make use of his medium armor and shield proficiencies...?

There are various ways around that if you want to put him on the front line.* What it does mean is that he won't be using his action economy with melee attacks.

* - like making your MC a Furry Arcanist and handing out big Bull's Strengths. There's also a Mithril Heavy Shield +2 you get before you even meet him. I'll probably put him opposite of wherever my MC is. He can cast/heal/Dazzling Display well enough on the frontline, which also puts him in good position for his Archon's Aura and takes advantage of his Uncanny Dodge.

Desiderius

Patron
How's the rotating camera? I'm bit worried about that one, as I prefer not to constantly use it to get a good view as is often the case in isometric games with one.

Some area are clearly designed for you to use it. The alpha was set in a city with tall buildings and all. On default perspective (or even if you just move the camera once), your view will be blocked by those buildings. You absolutely need to rotate.

Buildings are semi-transparent.

They are. But in case of Market District there are times even with semi-transparent building, due to awkward angle (say in a small pathway between a cliff and tall buildings) you will be hard-pressed not to rotate the camera because it is awkward to play, especially with combat.

In PfK the surrounding walls are usually lower (like indoor or in caves). In WoR the walls/buildings can fully cover your view on some viewing angles, especially on edges of the maps.

I got used to the rotation using the mod. If they implement (optional) proper flanking/soft cover (they should) you’ll need it.

What’s currently missing (which the mod has) is rotating the area map to match the main screen, so it’s easy to get lost.

Elex

Arbiter
I know is alfa but the problems look identical to kingmaker release.
It feel like they work exactly like before and nothing is changed.

If WOTR’s problems in alpha seem like Kingmaker’s problems on release... doesn’t that mean Owlcat’s improved dramatically? They’ll spend the year before the game comes out polishing it instead of the year after.

In my experience, the bugs aren’t that bad—expected a lot worse. There’s some missing content and some obvious placeholder text. Also the strategic army management layer is still pretty rough, but they say they’ve only just started working that out.
Not really because they still have to add more more chapters more quest and more stuff in general.

i expect another kingmaker and i’m fine with that.

But this time i will wait for DLC and patches because the game will require 200-300 hours and i don’t want to restar it for a bug.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
But this time i will wait for DLC and patches because the game will require 200-300 hours and i don’t want to restar it for a bug.
But then you won't be able to come into this forum and engage with us while every thing is still hype and new and exciting. The best part about a new rpg is the community

Efe

Erudite
so far kingmaker community is alive and well.
actually there is a lot more talking about game than crying about bugs compared to release month

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
actually there is a lot more talking about game than crying about bugs compared to release month
But aren't you glad you got the experience of seeing a bunch of people cry about spider swarms? That's not something you can experience in the same way if you read about it today rather than experienced it at launch.

Desiderius

Patron
But aren't you glad you got the experience of seeing a bunch of people cry about spider swarms? That's not something you can experience in the same way if you read about it today rather than experienced it at launch.

The war against faceroll was going to require some pain as the bandaid was ripped off. It was unfortunate that it got conflated with all the bugs.

Hopefully WotR will make things clear that the challenge is working as intended.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom