Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
You know, you're not a bad poster, DraQ.

He's definitely a bad poster. Horrible even.

Lilura's is the only flavour of autism in there (if any), Ontopoly is just dumb.

If you think about it everyone is a flavor of autism. Autism is a spectrum which means it covers everyone. That's how spectrums work.

Have you noticed how much threads take off when I post? cf. ITT and the "masterpieces" thread.

You single handedly brought this thread back and kept it going, yes. When the thread was dead and they wanted to force it's revival the same way swen now wants to force BG's revival (what a sell out hack) they called you to come do it. But that's not what happened. When they needed someone I'm the person who received an email notification and I'm the one who came crawling back to this miserable place.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

He's a good poster with tragic taste in RPGs. He's mostly pettily vindictive but has rare moments of admirable even-handedness.

He holds grudges and carries them from thread to thread. He'll take 5% of your taste in RPGs and try to paint that as 100%.

For example, I've written on Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm, ToEE and other RPGs besides, but he tries to paint me as a Diablo 2 fan and nothing more (because of an argument we had 6 years ago).

Saravan

Savant
If you think about it everyone is a flavor of autism. Autism is a spectrum which means it covers everyone. That's how spectrums work.

Is it legal to be this retarded?

For example, I've written on Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm, ToEE and other RPGs besides, but he tries to paint me as a Diablo 2 fan and nothing more.

Someone could have a conversation with you about different coffee flavors and you would find a way to mention Jagged Alliance.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

He's a good poster with tragic taste in RPGs. He's mostly pettily vindictive but has rare moments of admirable even-handedness.

He holds grudges and carries them from thread to thread. He'll take 5% of your taste in RPGs and try to paint that as 100%.

For example, I've written on Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm, ToEE and other RPGs besides, but he tries to paint me as a Diablo 2 fan and nothing more (because of an argument we had 6 years ago).
All this just convinces me that he's even more horrible than I thought.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Is it legal to be this retarded?

For example, I've written on Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm, ToEE and other RPGs besides, but he tries to paint me as a Diablo 2 fan and nothing more.

Someone could have a conversation with you about different coffee flavors and you would find a way to mention Jagged Alliance.
Does Bobby Ray sell coffee?

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, any idea of how the stat-allocation system will look like?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Me, re-rolling characters in Baldur's Gate:

Monkey-Puppet%20Lookin-1543627124994.jpg

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

It looks very D:OS-like:
wXKYPSG.png
I guess those "+" and "-" use the point buy system.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The original Baldur's Gate is the greatest D&D-based RPG of all-time, and the 4th-greatest RPG of all-time.

It makes the Goldbox games seem like pieces of shit in comparison.

Read this authoritative retrospective, and despair [link].

It's still one of the worst adaptations of the DnD rules.

Baldur's Gate is the best adaptation of D&D rules outside of ToEE.

Way better than Goldbox, which is D&D-lite in comparison.

I challenge anyone on the 'Dex to go against my retrospective; I will light you up on my blog. :smug:

I was going to argue here but since you agree that ToEE is a better adaptation of DnD ruleset than Baldur's Gate than I guess you can see why going turn-based can be a straight-upgrade.

Now, I have 3 million views and am first-ranked on Google for the greatest RPGs of all-time, whereas you have only managed 5,000 more shitposts. :smug:

IGN is ranked first for normal people, Google is fucking with your results because they know you google yourself.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
IGN is ranked first for normal people, Google is fucking with your results because they know you google yourself.

That's actually correct. When you google "Baldur's Gate tips" or walkthrough, or retrospective, you get a bunch of results before Lilura's blog. Only the retrospective has her blog on the first page of the results, which is still great. Googling "Baldur's Gate best weapons" does bring up the blog as the first result, but not best spells or armor. Googling "Infinity Engine blog" also brings up a handful of results before Lilura.

I don't think many people google those specific things either way, though. When I need walkthroughs for RPGs (mostly to check if I've missed something), I usually go for Gamebanshee because their format allows easy filtering/selection of zones, which is what you usually want. They also have a neat database of items which can also be filtered.

Last edited:

Thunar

Educated
Only time I organically stumbled on lilura's blog was because I was looking some specifics on amiga emulation, it was after hours of googling on the topic though.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
DOS1 & 2 are some of the few RPGs where the hardest difficulty(tactician) includes rebalanced encounters and improved AI
Also on this list: pillars of eternity.
Dude... PoE has only added extra stats, and maybe 1 or 2 mobs extra - no real rebalancing. And there is 0 shits given to improved AI.
You can beat PoE 1 using the same tactics at every difficulty level, you just buff a bit more to handle the bloat.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember when we first "met". You had 25,000 posts on the 'Dex and I had 1,000.

Now, I have 3 million views and am first-ranked on Google for the greatest RPGs of all-time, whereas you have only managed 5,000 more shitposts. :smug:
His "shitposts" are with his peers, with which he converses ideas, while treating them with respect. Your "articles" are screams into an echo chamber where you respect no one other than people blowing up your ass.

Codex Year of the Donut
only time lilura's blog ever came up for me was when I was searching for SoD-related content and absolutely nobody else covered it

Crichton

Prophet
Nobody cares about your blog.

Why am I ranked no. 1 on Google for pro-tip keywords then? Do you know who I am, pleb?

I love BG as much as anyone, but the Gold Box games are objectively more faithful because they are Turn-Based.

AD&D 2nd Edition isn't turn-based.

I’ll do you one better, Dark Sun.

Dark Sun is shit compared to Baldur's Gate.

Yeah I'm gonna call bullshit. Dark Sun is not shit, and is a better adaptation of AD&D 2nd Edition rules. And yeah, citation needed on AD&D 2e not being turn-based, because it most certainly is.

Lilura, I know you base your entire ego on your precious little blog, but literally nobody cares about it.

I'll have to split the difference in this little sissy slap-fight; Dark Sun: Shattered lands has a better gameplay loop than Baldur's Gate and I have no idea why anyone would think blogs are relevant in CURRENT_YEAR, but AD&D is phase-based and much better represented by RTwP than TB. To understand why, take a look at Chapter 9 "Combat" in the 2nd Edition PHB https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ok.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEmRXebshoFd0rU19oI8hLr07tAZA (page 185).

Since actions are chosen in AD&D before initiative is rolled, you have to choose an action without knowing the order in which things will be resolved, creating the same bizarre situations that occur in RTwP; that's an advantage for some things (spell interrupts) but a definite disadvantage for others (using AoE non-instantaneous abilities while everyone is moving around). I don't know if anyone really enjoyed that aspect of AD&D, which is probably why they switched to TB for subsequent editions, but it was a change; SSI had to invent rules to cover situations that can't happen in the PHB when they made their TB versions.

quoting myself from the last time this came up (pay attention to how spell interrupts work in each game):

RTwP reproduces in cRPGs everything that players hated about the D&D initiative system; something that ToEE (for good or for ill) does not do.

As an example, let's take a closer look at combat resolution for our favorite wizard and archer combo:

IE games: 1) Archer decides to shoot wizard, 2) Wizard starts casting spell (1 and 2 can be reversed if you like), 3) Wizard struck by arrow (spell fizzles into nothing), 4) Wizard's round is wasted

[exactly as described in the PHB]

Gold Box games: 1) Archer's turn comes up, he shoots the wizard, 2) Wizard's turn comes up, he cannot cast a spell because he was damaged earlier this turn, decides to read a scroll instead.

[This creates a mechanical situation not found at all in the pen and paper game, a character whose spell has been interrupted before it has been cast (!) and hence knows that he should take some other action. He is also free to do so, his round has not been wasted on a failed spell and he has not lost a memorized spell]

I should note that I prefer the combat resolution of the gold box games (and Dark Sun: Shattered Lands for that matter), but that's a completely separate issue from which better represents 2nd edition AD&D. So feel free to bash the IE games for having chaotic, unwieldy or senseless combat, but don't claim that they are less representative of the pen and paper rules.

helpful links for the uninitiated:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ve.htm&usg=AFQjCNFx1XCAiw4bVKnbfqOLhGyL5xrpaw

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...iative&usg=AFQjCNEi04oZ29b3deZNsH9iNDqYCNOEoQ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ition/&usg=AFQjCNEfpou8YhZE_z04rVs-klnzvciN8A

Ruchy

Scholar
He holds grudges and carries them from thread to thread.
I actually see it as more of a running gag.
Everyone else sees it as pure autism

Not sure what "pure autism" would look like considering it's on a spectrum as you said.
I haven't been at the codex long but I always imagine the experience is similar to sitting down to Christmas dinner at the orphanage for children with mental illnesses.

Ruchy

Scholar

wXKYPSG.png

If it is point buy it seems like quite a low one.

Cael

Arcane
Please for the love of god, stop giving her attention. She just wants attention nothing more.
George is correct. Remember that it ran away in a huff but came back, and not only came crawling back but unIgnored everyone and unlocked its blog for comments. That is as sure an indication of attention whoring as you can get.

DraQ

Arcane

wXKYPSG.png
They should have gone with "X" and "\" - innovative and less like D:OS, so it'd automatically be better.
:troll:

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a roll (roll a bunch of values, assign to stats) based or hybrid (roll part of the scores have point pool to tweak them via point-buy) system in a cRPG.
Just no BG-style idiocy (roll for stats, but since you can reassign all the points, you are actually just rolling point-buy pool which combines all the drawbacks of both with none of the advantages - seriously, someone must have come up with that while having a stroke).

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
They are trying to copy as much of 5e as possible, so this is definitly this http://chicken-dinner.com/5e/5e-point-buy.html system.

Maybe they will add roling aswell, but I highly doubt it, with the game supposed to be having an online DM mode a la Neverwinter Nights. Munchkins would show up with oops all 18s characters.

DraQ

Arcane
They are trying to copy as much of 5e as possible, so this is definitly this http://chicken-dinner.com/5e/5e-point-buy.html system.

Maybe they will add roling aswell, but I highly doubt it, with the game supposed to be having an online DM mode a la Neverwinter Nights. Munchkins would show up with oops all 18s characters.
Online DM can easily counter that by dropping rocks on offending character.
mondblut would mad.

mondblut

Arcane

Online DM can easily counter that by dropping rocks on offending character.
mondblut would mad.

Me, playing with meatbags?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom