Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warlocks on RPG's. Which one do you prefer?

Fenris 2.0

Augur
True, but this is like a Vampire that asks for Consent, or a chaotic good Drow.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
Does there need to be a class for everything? Remember when you had to choose between Fighter, Magic-User, and Cleric?- and roleplay the specifics of your class? Those were the days.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Best video game Warlock implementation coming through:
heroes+of+might+and+magic+ii.gif

So for me being a warlock is about 2 things. Number 1: commanding army of evil monsters. Number 2: being an asshole. Casting a spell or two would be nice but it's not necessary.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

So for me being a warlock is about 2 things. Number 1: commanding army of evil monsters. Number 2: being an asshole. Casting a spell or two would be nice but it's not necessary.

A warlock is a spellcaster. If he can't cast spells, he's not a warlock.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

A warlock is a spellcaster. If he can't cast spells, he's not a warlock.

Ok so it's about 3 things
1. Commanding an army of evil creatures
2. Being an asshole
3. Casting Spells

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Remember when you had to choose between Fighter, Magic-User, and Cleric?- and roleplay the specifics of your class? Those were the days.

If you have only 3 classes, you can't sell a lot of supplements. That said, someone who learns his magic from blood, from a outsider master and from traditional study would have complete different magical powers lore wise and mechanic wise. You can argue that having sorcerer and warlocks as a subkit of wizard would be better and i agree.

jungl

Augur
5e they dont have eldritch blast. Witches in pathfinder don't either. Neverwinter 2 I thought the whole gimmick of the class that would stick with the class would be the blast but apparently its spells you get from picking patrons.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
5e they dont have eldritch blast. Witches in pathfinder don't either. Neverwinter 2 I thought the whole gimmick of the class that would stick with the class would be the blast but apparently its spells you get from picking patrons.

No, 5e has eldritch blast. AS a cantrip, not spell like ability.

As for getting spells from patrons, they teach you, you don't draw power from the patron.

And on nwn2, EB is not good. The DC is bugged and the average damage on lv 20 is just 31.5. A fighter at lv 10 can dish way more damage. Invocations on nwn2 are nerfed versions of arcane spells which are nerfed compared to P&P.

I imagine on Obsidian

Guys, how we can ruin the day of everyone that likes to play as a arcane casters?
  • Lets make spells that ignore spell resistance be subjected to spell resistance(eg : acid fog)
  • Limit then to a single summon and ruin every conjurer/necromancer wizard and ruin the dead walk invocation
  • Put a lot of enemies with evasion and improved evasion everywhere and nerf all spells that can damage then despite evasion
  • Remove stop time and other similar powerful spells
  • Make missile storm far weaker
  • Ruin all spells that was useful vs magical immune on nwn1. Instead of caster level + 8 AB and grapple, lets make black tentacles have a fix +5 ab and no grapple.
  • Have ZERO times where you can use your spell powers to solve non combat stuff. Eg - The trial.
  • (...)
  • And if it is not good enough, lets force the MC to talk with the boss before he can fight the boss and have all his defensive spells dispelled by no reason and the fight starting with the mc at CQB complete vulnerable, so any arcane caster main character at the beginning of the battle will just be knocked down
I soloed Baldur's Gate 1/2 and Icewind dale 1 many times as a wizard and sorcerer. But can't stand to play UNmodded NWN2 as a arcane caster. Is too frustrating. Spell fixes is a must have spell.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
mask of the betrayer i think warlocks were little better could hit for 90-100 damage aoe. Since they invocations were useless you can build them with con and have more hp then fighter and be tankier with the regen they get and using a shield.

Original campaign yes very boring.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Well built warlocks were completely absurd in MoTB. Stackable forms of damage reduction made you nearly invincible and you could put out 90+ damage AoE's with debilitating side effects indefinitely.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
mask of the betrayer i think warlocks were little better could hit for 90-100 damage aoe. Since they invocations were useless you can build them with con and have more hp then fighter and be tankier with the regen they get and using a shield.
Well built warlocks were completely absurd in MoTB. Stackable forms of damage reduction made you nearly invincible and you could put out 90+ damage AoE's with debilitating side effects indefinitely.

Even on MotB, they are trash compared to P&P. No feats like Eldritch Sculptor, Lord of all Essences, Master of Elements, etc.

I din't played MotB with warlock reworked mod which adds this feats BUT here is what my warlock can do with master of elements.

PT7UkGG.png

And here is i grappling a golem with my tentacles while i cast eldritch cone + a invocation that allows me to bypass spell resistance

xizmtV9.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom