Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Random Non-Japanese Asian RPG News Thread

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
jFiHdFF.png

rating_ccp.png

Which game is this?

Huh the English patch "works"? I read in the steam forums that it caused crashes/the game can't start

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a mixed bag for some. Hell, the game without any English patch is like roulette. For some it works, for some it doesn't. Works on one of my PCs, but not the other.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I'm impressed by the game, it feels like an AZN Piranha Bytes game.

It's worth it even with the ramshackle translation.

Klavierbuchlein

Barely Literate
I'm impressed by the game, it feels like an AZN Piranha Bytes game.

Tales of Wuxia and Ho Tu Lo Shu are actually remakes of Tales of Jinyong Heroes (金庸群侠传) and Tales of Vigilante Heroes (武林群侠传) that were made in the 20th century. The original games were quite interesting as well, and were fairly ahead of its time, if I have to say.

But, also because of this reason, the devs (which reformed decades after making of their original games) got sued by the publisher of previous games.

Jinn

Arcane
If you're unfamiliar with the metastory entire beginning is incomprehensible, but the same was true for Tale of Wuxia.

What exactly is that metastory, by the way? For both Tale of Wuxia and this one? Or is there anywhere to read up on it?

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
If you're unfamiliar with the metastory entire beginning is incomprehensible, but the same was true for Tale of Wuxia.

What exactly is that metastory, by the way? For both Tale of Wuxia and this one? Or is there anywhere to read up on it?
Something something about a modern day locust being sucked into wuxialand if I recall correctly.

Jinn

Arcane
Hey, abnaxus, may I ask how you managed to get the English patch working? I bought the game last night, but end up just getting a black screen with a cursor on it when I launch with the patch applied. When I remove the patch, it boots just fine, except it's all in Chinese of course. Tried a couple suggested fixes on the steam forums with no success. Really want to play it, even with a garbled shitty translation.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
First check if you can actually start the game in Chinese without black screen issue after opening video. I could only solve this after a long time by putting system locale and date settings to Chinese (for Path of Wuxia I need to do this too).

For the rest, I do this each time and it works for me:

hJk94IL.png

Just alt+tab out and paste config folder in.

The only stuff that's not translated is subquest information in log. It's best to take a lot of notes if you can't read Chinese characters at all.

Jinn

Arcane
First check if you can actually start the game in Chinese without black screen issue after opening video. I could only solve this after a long time by putting system locale and date settings to Chinese (for Path of Wuxia I need to do this too).

For the rest, I do this each time and it works for me:

Thanks a lot for the response. It does indeed boot up with just the Chinese version, going directly into the opening logos, then into the game proper. Tried the system locale and date settings change along with the above, but with no luck. Such a shame. I guess I'll see if the English patch is updated in the next few days, but otherwise I suppose I'll have to just get a refund.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
"Isekai" Wuxia is actually pretty common nowadays. If you read Chinese Webnovels some of the more popular ones are the one where MC is transported back into the age of Wuxia, China medieval period.

I did not expect that Heluo will take the idea for one of their game tho

Jinn

Arcane
The fan translation for Path of Wuxia seems to be coming along nicely, and they even seem to be planning on polishing up the dialogues as they go too. As long as it keeps up momentum, Early Access could be ideal for a fan translation like this, as they'll be able to tackle smaller chunks at a time.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Path of Wuxia. Latest game from Heluo Studio.

Been playing this with the English Patch which is mostly machine translated. The game is an EA title and not finished, content wise. Right now you have until the first year content wise, and you started in January.

Compared to Tales of Wuxia, simulation wise the game is way more streamlined. While Tales of Wuxia is some simulation guide dang it labyrinth (where you need to do exactly this at this exact etc), Path of Wuxia is more "simulationist" in it's approach. Early game is no longer some meta gaming efficiency nightmare as you mostly have time to practice stuffs.

Unlike Tales' random Explore event, Path has a quest board instead. Now some of the events are locked behind some conditions (say, friendship levels or certain skill levels) and will not appear otherwise. For those that appear in your quest board, you might need to have additional requirements before you can trigger the quest/event. For example, having Zither skills at 100 and finishing a side quest in one of area event (like visiting Luoyang in Tales) unlock a quest that requires you to have 140 Zither skills to be accepted/triggered. Then some of those quests also have hard time limits. For example, you can learn certain weapon skills from quests up until 2nd week of June of 1st year. The quests for those weapon skills appear only after you fulfil the base requirement but the deadline doesn't change. So you might unlock a quest listing just right before it expires and finds yourself unable to actually trigger/accept those quests.

Well, right now the game content is only up to the first year so we can't say for sure how those quests will affect the future. Tales of Wuxia is so full of missable triggers but right now the quests in Path of Wuxia feel wholly optional as far my experience goes. There are some stuffs related to the companions' character development tho so that might affect the ending or something. There are also some foreshadowing on those optional contents so we might see them in the future. Currently, game feels more like a simulation instead of a big puzzle which is kinda a positive but I wish there are more secrets sprinkled here and there.

Combat development is also fairly streamlined. Instead of ltraining "weapon skills" and then training "weapon school" which unlock new skills for respective schools like in Tales, in Path of Wuxia you only level up one skill by training. Each weapon has 4 skill slots you can bring to battle and you train each skill individually. Of course, there are "schools" of techniques, but you still learn and develop each skill one by one instead of learning and training the whole school. For example, the academy basic styles (nearly all of them works like what I am about to describe) are divided into 3 skills (1 weak basic attack that has 0 CD but RNG buff/debuff, medium basic attack that has CD but 100% chance to buff/debuff, and 1 medium attack that has CD but exploit <you deal bonus damage if enemy has certain debuff or you have certain buff> buff/debuff inflicted by the previous attack) so there are obvious strategy. You learn new skills from school courses by choosing teachers. You can also find skill books from quests and you can learn new skills from them. But the book, once again only teach you 1 move of that school. You need to find the other volume from maybe other quests. Or maybe they are locked behind quests which require you to train the basic move of that school first (e.g. you get basic Wudang sword skills from 1 companion quest, but I don't know whether the 2nd volume is in the game now or not).

So instead of specializing heavily into 1 or maybe 2 weapons fairly early (which require meta-knowledge of what is available in the game), you pretty much become jack of all trades, weapon wise because of the fact you can only bring 4 skills per weapon unlike Tales where you specialize in 1 weapon but you got shitload of moves for each weapon. As you learn each skill instead of training with the weapon, it is also far easier to switch your build unlike Tales. On the other hand, investing time to train certain moves might be a pitfall. In Tales, say you train a lackluster school of weapon, you still increase your proficiency with that particular weapon. And you might find some use for them in the future as endgame schools require high weapon skills anyway. In Path of Wuxia training skills also increase basic attributes slightly, but if you are training a "bad" skill and decided not to bring that skill into your 4 skills slots per weapon then it is kinda effort wasted to train that particular skill.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
So finished the first year content. You actually get a new game plus point after finishing the game once, namely you can choose more trait at character generation. A new patch was also released this week that nerfed experience gain when training. I guess Genius is too stronk allowing you to level basic skills from 1 - 10 within 1 training.

All in all, I like it. Unlike Tales of Wuxia which has a pretty meme-y tone especially early game, Path takes itself seriously most of the time. Combat can be difficult but fairly fair unlike Tales more balls to the wall hard. You don't need to cheese most fights unlike Tales. On the other hand like Tales, failing will usually means the story still continue. Winning the more difficult fights will also reward you more.

You are supposed to graduate in 3 years based on in-game convo so I guess the game will probably also be 3 years long. Between my 1st trial playthrough (which I played until April) and this (which I finished) I got 25 hours, so I guess a full 3 years playthrough can be a solid 40 - 50 hours experience unless the Dev are doing lot of time skip on year 2 and 3.

Lates dev blog mentioned that they will be concentrating on bug fixes for the next 2 months and bringin QoL stuffs (restarting battle in game, cancel command by right clicking, keyboard shortcut, etc) so for June and July they will be focusing on polish. Meanwhile 2nd year development will continue as well on the side.

On fan TL progress, I joined the Discord and from the look of it everybody got time to do a lot of polish and translation due to Covid. Thanks China :lol:

Btw Abu Antar do you have any suggestions on this kind simulation RPG where time is moving with the plot and the player has agency to use their free time? I kinda enjoy this kinda of game from playing Tales and Path of Wuxia.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not that I am aware of, to be honest.

Persona 3-5 have some time management aspects.

Tale of Wuxia: The-Pre-Sequel has a different structure than Tale of Wuxia, but I strongly recommend it. It's some of the most fun I've had with a game in years.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Persona 3-5 have some time management aspects.

Yeah Persona 3 and 5 have that, true. I guess you can replace the "training" in Heluo games with, well, actually grinding out dungeons.

Man more devs should make this kind of RPG. The "raising stats" part is usually done for raising sim like Princess Maker (and I think there is a similar game by western dev) Combining RPG with a stats raising game should be no brainer. Why aren't there more games like this dammit.

Tale of Wuxia: The-Pre-Sequel has a different structure than Tale of Wuxia, but I strongly recommend it. It's some of the most fun I've had with a game in years.

Yeah been meaning to buy it. I am kinda holding out because I really want to play Tales of Wuxia with the Chinese patch translated. Oh well.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Ho Tu Lo Shu.

Best open world game since Elex. Crazy the amount of stuff to do and to find in the world. Even near the end of the game when I randomly did some rooftop jumping I came across a chest that opened a new quest that led ultimately to an item I needed for a long pending quest.

Like in Elex you start the game as an utter putz who can barely beat up a group of beggar children in starting village (this actually happened) but become someone who can kill bears in one punch.

At the end of the game I was above level 70 and had more than 20,000 HP but main boss still had double that which made last fight p. annoying with all the status effects he could apply. But main boss had to be a pain in the ass, as
he’s actually the main character.

HUTvnfD.png

jIYcm6W.png

88tr4AL.png

1q7jv5W.png

Unexpectedly right before going home there’s another fight with 10 lesser villains but it’s just a victory lap.Then again in the prologue of Tale of Wuxia he beats ten guys too.

wv4VeHT.png

vaiFG3m.png

ytXMqHk.png

RlY9ud2.png

T9ritbV.png

e2DFcta.png

Main quest is completely freeform, I postponed the main quest in starting village and instead stumbled upon a murder investigation in the big town that turned out part of main quest.

Depending on what you do first, you also get different party members. I kinda ran with gurls practically the entire game. First two party members are spear bro and sword bro but sword bro leaves forever after his part of main quest if you did something he dislikes (which is 99% certain to happen).

Princess waifu actually goes through the portal back home too, which was entirely unexpected. She was a stronk party member and had a very nice questline but she wasn’t best gurl.

nFSYJEe.png

QmPA2Sk.png

Best gurl was the blade wielding Qin Hongshang clone gurl whom you meet under rather memorable circumstances. Her part of the main quest was the most poignant. At the end of the game she could do 15,000 damage. I also really liked the little sister type with the tiger. But all party members are p. gud and likable.

0mYrHG3.png

GX33eiJ.png

Performance wasn’t always great but I had literally zero crashes and maybe one sidequest that bugged out (or maybe I simply did it in the wrong order). I had to alt+tab out of the game to mess with the mod folder maybe four times.

The questions you are asked to answer at the beginning of the game are very important. They basically decide the character’s build and attributes like intelligence/stamina that will be hidden when the game starts. Characters with high intelligence level up faster but get less HP at level up. There are some rare items to increase intelligence and I found quite a lot, but apparently I never got intelligence higher than 60 (some skills require 90 to learn). Even the blade chick was smarter than main character.

I started with a “Hard” build who accumulates crits which is best for Blade users and not bad for Fist either. If you want to use sword as main weapon you want to be a “Clever”/”Active” build that focus on status effects/combos respectively.

Speaking of which, some martial skills are also influenced by a Yin/Yang system. For the most part of the game sword skills will be Yin aligned while the main character will inevitably be pushed toward Yang considering majority of internal styles are Yang aligned. You don’t get badass sword skills until quite late. The female sword wielding party members will all be Yin aligned and be quite good with swords.

Lastly, the translation mod actually translates the ending slides too, a very nice touch.

AYB5bRt.png

I5rsgKO.png

gFdmVzu.png

mAiJANW.png

hkJStGt.png

1f9sMgI.png

dg3WIhl.png

bjRJxx1.png

5bj8vsZ.png

PNViHmi.png

wrXt02P.png

y5YpDQf.png

72V8i8T.png

7T4r04P.png

wxvrtRx.png

S4JTNiD.png

9htEDWA.png

5HY7DAc.png

Qn58v9I.png

Dgsoe7N.png

DgIurUQ.png

iwn0JCH.png

4cpBJ7a.png

Now I probably need to buy slamdunk weeb decline like Path of Wuxia so Heluo can make more games like this.

maR5kOY.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_808e5118743c410a2d09b010b6204ec47a576a29.600x338.jpg
ss_8cb90231b1c7782409d3f0657019d9ff85d91328.600x338.jpg

‘Rune the First Wanderer’ is a storytelling adventure game about a girl wandering from here to there with her memory lost. She begins her journey to reclaim herself, wandering around a devastated world teeming with monsters just a single step out of the village. During her adventurous journey, she runs into various clans and she has a strange dream while enduring hardships. A mysterious woman who appears in her dream seems to want to say something, but it just makes the girl more confused. However, depending on the player’s choices, by collecting ‘pieces of dreams’ one by one, each player may be able to find out the truth of the story the woman is trying to tell someday.

- One day, she manipulates a girl who wakes up in a forest, and begins a small journey to find something that the woman in the dream is trying to say.
- Real-time attack and defense-ready combat systems recognize enemy patterns and knock down enemies with agile counterattacks and attack skills.
- Adventure the world of games, a combination of beautiful visuals and emotional music from experienced composers, with a new feel of pixel graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom