Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Absinthe

Arcane
Nevill, that's fair. I know these arguments tend to get a bit stupid after a while too. It's why I ditched the massive list of quotations style of argument a while ago, because those got very stupid. And yeah, we'll probably need to take Rain and run.

Baltika9, seriously though, what happens to Rain? Why should we just ditch her? What happened to watching her grow up?

Esquilax

Arcane
I was willing to chance running for it. Shooting in the dark is disastrous; I doubt the soldiers with their commander present would shoot blindly; they'd risk hitting Rasputin and each other. I also believe that we can get away, though I am under no impression that everyone else can. Which would mean our identity will become known and if anyone cares to follow us to the village they will have no trouble finding us.

Exactly. I do think that there are options that would cause them to panic and lose discipline - for example, I think a slingshot to the commander's noggin would do the trick, but shutting the lights out would not be one of them.

These knights have a tremendous amount of resources, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if they found the one kid here (Andrew), that whoever else is here is probably one of his friends. In that case, why give chase when tracking us down is a piece of cake? I mean, they don't know that Wrinkly is a nomad who can live on his own, but that is to our benefit.

These knights took great pains to make sure that this operation was as clandestine as possible - they wouldn't have come here if they weren't certain they were undetected. Additionally, and this is speculation, I have a feeling that Nathaniel is their inside man - he's a turncoat knight either part of or working alongside a rival order. They would have to have an incredible amount of trust in him to think that he's solid and not some double agent.

Another thing; I am confident in our PC's ability to be calm under pressure, sit still and hide. In fact, that kind of toughness is probably his best quality. Two sheltered, dainty, Victorian girls? Not so much. I'm worried they'll fuck it up.

Baltika9

Arcane
Baltika9, seriously though, what happens to Rain? Why should we just ditch her? What happened to watching her grow up?
First off, I am being completely genuine when I say that it's a close call for me. But I still think that the best thing we can do for her is to become the meanest fish in this ocean.

And I don't like your plan at all. Raising a child on the road is a terrible idea, and we can leave her with Sophie and McClellan in a nice backwater while we learn from one of the greatest mystics of this time. I think we should follow the man, we can trust his beard at least.

Esquilax

Arcane
First off, I am being completely genuine when I say that it's a close call for me. But I still think that the best thing we can do for her is to become the meanest fish in this ocean.

And I don't like your plan at all. Raising a child on the road is a terrible idea, and we can leave her with Sophie and McClellan in a nice backwater while we learn from one of the greatest mystics of this time. I think we should follow the man, we can trust his beard at least.

Now that is a great point that I should have considered more thoroughly. Let's say that A works a treat and we all manage to get away clean, but with these knights still hot on our heels - what then? Do we take Rain away from a loving home and great community just so she can be with us? That's pretty selfish. If we manage to get away, and that's a big if, the more noble thing to do is to leave her here. (if we absolutely must leave, that is)

Absinthe

Arcane
I think we can become the meanest fish in the ocean either way though. Our character will learn and grow. And we have a new astra (a book even) too. For all we know Rain might be able to help us unlock secrets of Astras and ruins too, if power is your concern.

We've a learned during our stay in the village on how to raise her. And we're a pretty self-sufficient type too. We can take care of her. For all we know, as an elf she'll take to a life with lots of hunting in woods with a bow and arrow like a fish in water. With A we're not locked into decisively running off with her either. We would get to regroup at the village and then decide what we think would be best for her, based on how things have turned out.

We haven't really played as a responsible big bro before (that didn't end up getting the little sister's soul sacrificed to some cult, anyway). I think we'd be really missing out to just abandon all that, to abandon Rain, just to pursue power again.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
We haven't really played as a responsible big bro before (that didn't end up getting the little sister's soul sacrificed to some cult, anyway). I think we'd be really missing out to just abandon all that, to abandon Rain, just to pursue power again.

Judging by our track record of decision-making, then it's definitely best to leave Rain to the kindly Father McClellan and greet our new friend, Rasputin.

Baltika9

Arcane
Do we take Rain away from a loving home and great community just so she can be with us? That's pretty selfish.
And if Scotty gets caught and squeals on us and the weird baby, then we'll have no choice but to take her from a loving home. I see no need to make her life even worse.

By the way, unless there are any last minute flops to D or A, then E has it.

Absinthe, mentors matter. A lot. We can travel a metaphorical mile by ourselves, or ten with Rasputin's help in the same amount of time. And just because we can raise Rain on the road doesn't mean we should. Like Esquilax said, doing so to LARP a responsible big brother is, ironically, irresponsible.

Sometimes, being a responsible sibling means sacrificing for the sake of the younger. I think that this is such a time.

Edit:
Judging by our track record of decision-making, then it's definitely best to leave Rain to the kindly Father McClellan and greet our new friend, Rasputin.
Doo eet.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I feel like leaving her behind in the village is much more likely to leave her vulnerable than if she has us as a constant protector by her side. Her life is doomed to be eventful regardless of whether or not we're there for her. She's not an ordinary child who can just live an ordinary life, and we know it. Rain's loving home is with us, not the community, anyway. She's made that clear. She really doesn't want us to abandon her, you know:

Into the Ruins (I)

You were not aware that a baby could look betrayed, but you are now. For some reason, Rain had sensed that you were going to leave her behind, and the feeling of utter disappointment and sadness emanating from her while in Madam Daviana’s arms had almost made you change your mind. Still, she had not kicked up a fuss, against your expectations.

Esquilax

Arcane

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should. Oh, and I have a sinking feeling that Rasputin in this setting is horrible and terrifying on a level far beyond that of our original master. I'd rather not jump the gun on the first potential mentor decision just because he vaguely, kind-sorta might be like Zhang Jue. Zhang Jue was a merciless killer with a callous disregard for human life, but he still had rules (as far as I know, he only ever killed people in the jianghu who fucked with him). This guy gives me more of Charles Manson vibe.

I feel like leaving her behind in the village is much more likely to leave her vulnerable than if she has us as a constant protector by her side. Her life is doomed to be eventful regardless of whether or not we're there for her. She's not an ordinary child who can just live an ordinary life, and we know it. Rain's loving home is with us, not the community, anyway. She's made that clear. She really doesn't want us to abandon her, you know:

Into the Ruins (I)

You were not aware that a baby could look betrayed, but you are now. For some reason, Rain had sensed that you were going to leave her behind, and the feeling of utter disappointment and sadness emanating from her while in Madam Daviana’s arms had almost made you change your mind. Still, she had not kicked up a fuss, against your expectations.

Christ, she's a fucking baby, what does she know? Besides, this was probably a red herring thrown in for trolling purposes to make us second-guess the decision to go into the ruins. Obviously, I'm making a decision based on preferring to be there for her, but it's hard because choosing to come to the ruins meant that life got a whole lot more complicated for us.

Esquilax

Arcane
*ahem*
I told you so. I was right, again.
:smug:
The best we can do now is embrace it.

Ok, you were right. We should have stayed home and done the laundry if we wanted to steer clear of trouble and be consistent with the big brother route.

BUT... that doesn't mean we gotta go full retard either.

Zerafall's vote seals it. Let's call it for E.

Baltika9

Arcane
It's just three dudes circlejerking at this point. treave, E has it. No Father Rasputin for us. :(
Ok, you were right. We should have stayed home and done the laundry if we wanted to steer clear of trouble and be consistent with the big brother route.
Thank you. For the record, I'm not actually pleased that I was right.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd rather not jump the gun on the first potential mentor decision just because he vaguely, kind-sorta might be like Zhang Jue.
I think even Baltika made a mention of Yang Xue.

To think we were within arm's reach of being mentored by the strongest martial artist (who was also completely insane), and passed it up to play house with ChiChi. :negative:

Nevill

Arcane
In before Rasputin orders Alexei to shoot Nathaniel.

His job here is done, after all.

Probably not, though, good explorers are hard to find. Then again, never trust a turncoat...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Into the Ruins (IV)

You decide not to do anything, and you put a firm hand on Sophie and Elizabeth’s shoulders, shaking your head to remind them that they shouldn’t either. The two of them gaze at you and nod hesitantly. You’re not sure if they will continue to remain calm should anything untoward happen to Andrew – you will just have to pray that they have the good sense to restrain themselves.

“Stand down,” Alexei barks. His men step back, as does Nathaniel.

“Alexei, they are just children,” Nathaniel repeats again. “They won’t say a thing.”

“They will not, if they understand what is best for them.” Alexei walks up to Andrew and stops in front of the boy, towering over him. “Hm, such a pretty face. Perhaps we can ensure your tongue is tied in other ways, hm?”

Andrew continues to be on his guard, and his sword remains raised, pointing at Alexei’s chin. Alexei seems entirely unconcerned, as are his men.

“I know you are not supposed to be here, whoever you are. You are not actually a knight of the Council, are you?” says Andrew, standing his ground, seeming to have found his courage after a panicky start. “Mr. Howell, I do not know why you are helping these impostors, but if you would help us arrest them-“

“And that is what the boy says, Mr. Howell,” grins Alexei. “You had best correct his misconceptions… or shall I do the favours instead?”

“Stop this foolishness, Andrew Laird. Do you want to get your father and the entire village in trouble too?” growls Nathaniel suddenly, more angry than you have ever heard him. “And you, Scotty my boy, we will need to have words after this. What on earth possessed you to perform such witless deeds?”

“I-It’s not like we came here by ourselves, Dad!” Scotty blurts out. “Wrinkly’s in on it too!”

“Wrinkly?” Nathaniel frowns. “You mean the boy with the burns?”

“More loose ends to tie up, then,” says Alexei smoothly, his eyes still fixed on Andrew. “What will it be? Will you run like a gutless coward, or will you stay and attempt to… arrest me, as you put it? You seem quite accustomed to your sword, so perhaps you do have a chance against me.” He spreads his hands and takes one step back. “Shall we settle this with a duel? I will give you the advantage by remaining unarmed. Use your sword as you wish.”

“If I win?” asks Andrew, his eyes serious and his stance at the ready.

“I let you and your friend go, naturally,” replies Alexei with a smile. “And I will turn myself in to the Council, as you wished.”

“Sounds too good to be true. And if you win…” grumbles Andrew.

“You are mine.” Alexei’s smile broadens. “At least for the week. In truth, you can talk all you want about what you saw here… but that will only get you killed later on, and do not make the mistake of thinking me to be the one who would be that threat. I would strongly advise against it.”

Sophie and Elizabeth look particularly concerned at Alexei’s words, although you are not exactly sure why. Andrew would be spared his life either way, wouldn’t it?

“F-Fine,” replies Andrew defiantly. “We shall have that duel.”

“Excellent. Now, I shall allow you to make the first move-“

Andrew is moving as soon as the words leave Alexei’s mouth, dashing towards him with an amazing speed that belies his age. “To me, Sword of Alacrity!” His sword swings through the air, aiming for Alexei’s chest.

“Bind.” Alexei flicks his wrist lazily. In an instant, a torrent of black iron chains erupt from the ground, wrapping around Andrew and bringing him crashing down. Andrew screams in agony as the heavy chains tighten around him. The duel is over, almost as soon as it just began. “I say, a rib or two should serve as a worthwhile lesson,” laughs Alexei as he looks down on the fallen Andrew. There is a cracking noise, and the boy screams even louder. “Oh dear, I broke your arm too. That was unintended, and you have my deepest apologies.” Alexei puts his shiny black boot on his defeated foe’s head. “Worry not. I will be gentle. Bring him back to the airship. Mr. Howell, you and your son will need to come with us too.”

“I understand,” says Nathaniel, his face grim. He walks over to Scotty and gives him a hard pull by the ear. “Stop doing anything stupid for just a moment.” Scotty only nods nervously, saying nothing.

“But Captain, should we not search this ruins for some Astras, since we have come all this way?” asks one of the knights.

“Any Astras found in such defenceless structures would be but trivial trinkets,” Alexei remarks. “Hardly worth our time. Though I do find it strange indeed that such an undefended place would also harbour one of the levers for a Gate of God.” He glances at the monk, seemingly hoping to elicit a reaction.

The monk, who had closed his eyes sometime during the previous commotion, and seemed to be thinking about something, opens his eyes again, slowly. “It is not at all strange if you consider the winding path we had to walk just to reach this place. The Gates of God are a test of our faith, a puzzle to be solved rather than an obstacle to be forced. Not one lever is exactly the same, nor are they operated the same way... In the end, they are a measure of God’s blessing upon those who would walk this road. Indeed, an Angel of God told me of devils intruding onto this floor some months back… ah, but I ramble. You are correct, Captain. There is nothing left here which would interest you. We should make haste and leave.”

“If that is what the strannik says, then that is what we will do,” shrugs Alexei. “Let us depart, men! The two of you, carry that boy to my chambers about the airship. Mr. Howell and son will follow us closely, with not one step out of order. Is that clear?”

“Yes, sir!” came the replies.

“I’ll make sure my boy doesn’t go anywhere,” agrees Nathaniel, scratching his head.

“Wait, sir, what about the other boy this Scotty spoke of? What if he’s still around here somewhere?” asks another knight.

“Ruins can have unexpected dangers. He might not make it back to the village alive, with or without our assistance,” chuckles Alexei. “We will consider that eventuality when or if we encounter that child. Regardless, it will not change what we have to do.” With that, Alexei and his men leave. Two of the knights are hauling the chained Andrew on their shoulders, while the Howells follow closely behind Alexei, sandwiched between him and his men.

The monk is the last to leave. In the darkened room, with only the light from the hallway illuminating the entrance, his features are shrouded in shadow. Yet, two silver coins gleam where his eyes should be, shining in the darkness. “Everything is a test from God,” proclaims the monk out loud, seemingly to himself. Stepping out into the corridor, he raises his hand. A high pitched keening pierces your ears, giving you a headache. Then, the door slams shut – or rather, looks like it is wrenched shut – and you hear a groaning noise coming from it.

Everything is pitch-black yet again. The girls are still quiet, breathing heavily. You fumble for your lantern, and when you finally get light back, the girls heave a big sigh of relief.

“That was scary… hey, Wrinkly, where are you going?” Elizabeth calls out to you as you immediately get up and move towards the door. You noticed something off with the way the monk shut it, and as get closer, your suspicions are confirmed. It will never open again. The door is twisted and jammed into the frame. Whatever mechanisms it opened with have been destroyed, possibly beyond repair. Not that you or the girls would have the know-how to repair it.

In short, you are stuck.

After the girls get over their initial panic at being locked in, the three of you begin settling down and attempting to look for another way out. The items that you had obtained attuned simultaneously after some time, without any warning. The sensation was strange – as if a piece of your self was ripped out and infused into the book.

The book’s pages were empty when you had first opened it, but now it shows a map of the room. Elizabeth says it's popularly called a Tome of Theseus – a mapping Astra whose functions are relatively common, but much sought after amongst cartographers and explorers. She had obtained for herself something she says are Boots of Free Movement, while Sophie’s eyeglasses are the Lenses of Seeing.

Examining the map while you walk around the room, you spot something strange. Behind the northern wall… there seems to be the beginnings of another hallway. You look up and down the wall for any clue as to how to get behind it, but you have no such luck.

“There,” Sophie says, pointing at a particular spot on the wall. “Just touch that.” She removes the eyeglasses and pinches the bridge of her noise. “Oh, this gives me such a headache to use.”

You do as Sophie says, and the wall slides aside, revealing your way out.

“Oh, such luck we have!” Elizabeth jumps in delight and hugs you in a decidedly unladylike manner, causing no end of exasperated yelps from Sophie. On your part, you are utterly dumbfounded that she would seem to care so little for coming into contact with your scars, when Sophie would do her utmost best to avoid even looking at them.

“Act more like a woman, Elizabeth Bathory! Please, show some decency!” lectures Sophie. “What would Andrew think if he saw you acting like this?”

“It’s Bayther! My surname is Bayther, not Bathory! Our family has nothing to do at all with the Blood Countess! How many times do I have to repeat that, Sophie McClellan?” Elizabeth protests. “Besides, we are just children, are we not? We can be friendly in a way adults cannot!”

Leaving Sophie and Elizabeth to argue it out, you investigate the corridor ahead. Unlike the hallways you traversed to reach this room, there are no automatic lights appearing here. You keep your lantern out and begin advancing… but your exploration is quickly cut short but a wall of rocks and soil barring your way. A cave-in has happened here, cutting this path off from the rest of the ruins. However, besides the cave-in you spot something most curious and interesting.

There is a giant hole in the metal wall. The metal has buckled outwards, indicating that whatever caused that hole did it from within the corridor. But what could have done such a thing? The metal corridors of the ruins were said to be as hardy as the Tower’s walls itself, reputed to be indestructible. You stand there, pondering the implications.

“W-Wow,” goes Elizabeth, shrinking back from the hole. “We’re going in there?” Her voice echoes back from the hollow emptiness.

“I don’t think we have any choice, do we?” says Sophie reluctantly. “I really don’t think anyone will come to rescue us in time.”

“Yes,” is all you say as you summon up your resolve and enter the hole. Beyond it, the floor and walls are no longer metal. Judging from the rocky surroundings, you have entered a natural cave system. You can hear the sound of water in the distance, and you follow it. It is as good a direction as any for the moment. Elizabeth and Sophie follow closely behind you in silence, more tense than they were in the ruins proper. As you wind your way past wet stalactites and stalagmites, you finally reach a branching point.

One path leads downwards, and you can tell that the sound of water is louder from that direction. The other path heads upwards towards the surface, but… you can pick up a beastly smell in that direction, and though you are not sure if you were just imagining it… a faint jangling of chains.

A. You head downwards.

B. You head upwards.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
No Rasputin for us.
:(

Oh well, let's get out of here. Unless that's another Nazgul that we're hearing. Either way, I don't want to stay in this cave forever.

B.

There is a giant hole in the metal wall. The metal has buckled outwards, indicating that whatever caused that hole did it from within the corridor. But what could have done such a thing? The metal corridors of the ruins were said to be as hardy as the Tower’s walls itself, reputed to be indestructible. You stand there, pondering the implications.
Might be the tentacle Nazgul that we killed six months ago. The same 'devil' that Rasputin was talking about:
The Gates of God are a test of our faith, a puzzle to be solved rather than an obstacle to be forced. Not one lever is exactly the same, nor are they operated the same way... In the end, they are a measure of God’s blessing upon those who would walk this road. Indeed, an Angel of God told me of devils intruding onto this floor some months back… ah, but I ramble. You are correct, Captain. There is nothing left here which would interest you. We should make haste and leave.”
This confirms my suspicions: Father Grigory is one of the good guys who's hunting them.
“Oh, such luck we have!” Elizabeth jumps in delight and hugs you in a decidedly unladylike manner,
:love:
I ship it.
Astras

Tome of Theseus (Water, mutability)
Tier 1/3 - Maps your surroundings in a 1 meter radius.
Lambchop19, it seems that we are the Theseus this time.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Alexei, friend, I have something I'd like to show you.
:timetoburn:
...I think I reconsidered being conscripted to the Leib-Guard. Baltika9 may still disagree, of course. :M
Thankfully, our face isn't pretty. No, Elizabeth, I don't think we'll be fixing it anytime soon.

“Everything is a test from God,” proclaims the monk out loud, seemingly to himself.
You are not Master Zhang. And you aren't God to test us in His place.

Elizabeth says it's popularly called a Tome of Theseus
So, Lambchop19. What is your take on this?
We have traded Seven League Boots of Amazing Stealth and Waterwalking for a glorified automap! :decline:

“There,” Sophie says, pointing at a particular spot on the wall. “Just touch that.” She removes the eyeglasses and pinches the bridge of her noise. “Oh, this gives me such a headache to use.”
We make a great team! :love:

Oh boy, do I get flashbacks of the JUMP IN THE RIVER choice. The smell and the chains aren't helping!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom