Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Will the Elder Scrolls 6 have more depth than Morrowind

Can it get worse

• No

Votes: 33 13.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 199 79.9%
  • No but it wont get much better

Votes: 17 6.8%

• Total voters

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
I think they'll make it less brainlet than Skyrim, maybe add vaulting so you can grab ledges and shit

It cant be worse can it

No I will not speak of those things

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Unless they finally figured it out with FO76, Bethesda is to this day unable to even hack climbable ladders into their piece of shit engine. What makes you think they're competent enough to add vaulting and/or climbing mechanics?

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Unless they finally figured it out with FO76, Bethesda is to this day unable to even hack climbable ladders into their piece of shit engine. What makes you think they're competent enough to add vaulting and/or climbing mechanics?
Maybe they hire some good modders

They have infinite money cheats

That's what Obsidian did on New Vegas

Pretty sure they hired Oscuro

The talent is out there

Turjan

Arcane
I am sure the monetization schemes will comprise many tiers with all kinds of different methods to separate the player from his cash. Or what kind of depth did you mean?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I will be fantastically optimistic and say it most likely will have more depth than Skyrim and possibly Oblivion.

:^(

Krivol

Magister
Why more depth? For what? I mean 99% of skyrim players are xbox nig... errr... minorities so why to do it complex? You push the button, smth awesome has to happen. They want money, not doing great games.

Wysłane z mojego SM-J530F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Skyrim is a better game. I think you should just buy another copy of Skyrim.

orig

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Early ES games weapon skills -
Long sword
Short sword
Axes
Throwing weapons
Blunt weapons
Spears/Polearms
Crossbows/Bows

Skyrim -
Single handed weapons
Two handed weapons
Archery

ES 6 -
Fighting

Yeah, I think there's a pattern here.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Entertainment/art are made by people, and they're as good as those people are good at making them; sometimes, they're also as good as people/devs are themselves good (morally speaking), which in other words mean not being pathologically obsessed with revenue, being willing to make a sacrifice here and there, not lying too much about the project etc.

Someone mentioned how among persons who made Morrowind was some kind of esotericist, which would explain a lot about its unique and interesting world, lore etc. In contrast, a mere direct sequel (Oblivion) was pretty much stripped of Morrowind's otherworldly aura, not to mention that abominable Skyrim.

So no, Bethesda has no such talent anymore, and not just in terms of world-building and lore. Doesn't mean they can't make a fun or even good game, but still not a game to reach the heights of one Morrowind, much less surpass it.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Cant find a quote atm but Bethesdas design philosophy for Elder Scrolls has been for a long time to streamline everything. A feature doesnt show immediate benefit? It gets cut. There is little to suggest to me they might have changed course in their recent statements and releases. They are gonna inevitably hit a point where their rpgs become so shallow and basic that even the general gaming public gets sick of them, which will lead to them pushing back and stablising. I think however that point is not reached yet and Elder Scrolls 6 will be even more casual than Oblivion. The only thing that could change that is if Starfield bombs or sth like that.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Take heed.
It will have 3 skills.
Might, Magic and Agility.
Strong, Smart and Fast

Strong, Fast and Sarcasm

A serious answer: There was some backlash to the dumbing down of systems in Fallout 4 even by fans (Fallout 76 doesnt count, it was an experiment and not intended as a typical Bethesda game and the players "didnt understand it") so they will tune back a little to Skyrim levels of mechanics and the gaming press will gush hard about "Bethesdas return to hardcore rpg form". And the fans will lap it up.

But who knows, maybe we will even get something innovative such as AI supported procedural dialogue which will of course be hilariously bugged/janky and create uncountable unwanted comedic situations. But i doubt it. They will most likely play it safe because they need a success.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Why more depth? For what? I mean 99% of skyrim players are xbox nig... errr... minorities so why to do it complex? You push the button, smth awesome has to happen. They want money, not doing great games.

Wysłane z mojego SM-J530F przy użyciu Tapatalka
Nah, whitey has to take the blame on this one. It was 99% mouth breathing game reviewers, soy-sipping larpers, and backwards ball cap bros who sucked Skyrim off like it was their last meal.

Last edited:

RepHope

Savant
Cant find a quote atm but Bethesdas design philosophy for Elder Scrolls has been for a long time to streamline everything. A feature doesnt show immediate benefit? It gets cut. There is little to suggest to me they might have changed course in their recent statements and releases. They are gonna inevitably hit a point where their rpgs become so shallow and basic that even the general gaming public gets sick of them, which will lead to them pushing back and stablising. I think however that point is not reached yet and Elder Scrolls 6 will be even more casual than Oblivion. The only thing that could change that is if Starfield bombs or sth like that.
I’d argue that happened with Fallout 4. Bethesda didn’t get the usual casual suckoff last time around. Feels like even your average normie is getting fed up with how brain dead Bethesda makes their games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Skyrim was an improvement on Oblivion and Fallout 3 in my opinion, but none of the ways it was improved have much to do at all with RPG depth. The "stats" and perks were pretty simplified, but they did better in other design areas. You could say the same for Fallout 4, which had much better combat and a decent attempt at factions and choices, but the RPG aspects were even more simplified.

At some point Far Cry and Elder Scrolls/Fallout will meet in the middle and become the same thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom