Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
just to illustrate how people perceive difficulty different in Souls

It's p. bizarre. Apparently a lot of good players got stuck on Aldrich whom I beat 2nd or 3rd try. I was genuinely surprised when I finished my first run, read the comments and found all this wailing and moaning about Aldrich.

Also NK gave me a lot of trouble on my first run. After about 20 tries I just summoned a bro. But a year later I beat him 2nd try, with a similar Strength build, without really improving at the game (still couldn't beat Pontiff or the Princes). As I said, bizarre.

Curratum

When this piece of shit roll-dodge spamfest of a game brings me to the edge, I just do invasions. It's the only DS where you can invade consistently and not wait 5 minutes, really.

I just creamed some shield-ducking milk-drinker host, shortly after I killed his sunbro boyfriend. I mean, how terrible must you be at the game if you are even doing the non-boss areas with someone holding your hand?

Terrible enough to lose a 2v1 fight, I suppose...

Curratum

I actually think the most difficult encounter in DS3 are those Cathedral Knights with Greatswords outside of Ocelot's room. I don't think anyone ever beats them, people just run past them into the room. Their combination of speed, range, power and stamina is insane.

I just tried to kill the cathedral knight who is guarding some dumb item on the very top of the cathedral, after you cross the X-shaped stone supports / horizontal rafters. Fuck this. I wasted like 8 estus on him and just grabbed the item and fucked off. This is just stupid.

I've beaten all 3 games a number of times and I am having a hard time coming up with another enemy that is as stupid.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I probably died 5-10 times on the Twin Princes, but it's mostly an easy fight, just you can kind of roll the wrong way when he teleports behind you. The Nameless King on the other hand, probably died 20 times on. Same with Friede. Pontiff was easy and I didn't even parry or have a heavy shield. I think I mostly rolled from his attacks and still won. Gaal was another boss people said was hard that I beat on second try, almost first, but ran out of Estus after i had him figured out. Fume Knight in DS2 was another boss people hyped up but I beat on first try. Alonne on the other hand gave me a bit of trouble.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
When this piece of shit roll-dodge spamfest of a game brings me to the edge, I just do invasions. It's the only DS where you can invade consistently and not wait 5 minutes, really.

I just creamed some shield-ducking milk-drinker host, shortly after I killed his sunbro boyfriend. I mean, how terrible must you be at the game if you are even doing the non-boss areas with someone holding your hand?

Terrible enough to lose a 2v1 fight, I suppose...
Most people really suck at games. I don't mean sucking in a souls game. I mean in "they can't even complete a classic mario game" level of bad. Why do you think most AAA games have gone the cinematic route?

If you look at global achiev stats, most people don't even reach the ending.. of most games.
The sort of example that kills me :
xTlYKMl.png

Only 23% reached an ending in Sonic Mania? I mean, I can understand someone stopping and uninstalling if they don't like the game, but it's the sort of game only people who played and had fun with the genesis games would want to buy in the first place, it was marketed as nothing but a new release of what is essentially a genesis game. And like any classic sonic games, it's pretty short. It shouldn't even take more than, what, a couple hours, to go from the beginning to the end of that very casual platformer in a first playthrough leisurely exploring the levels rather than speeding through? Did all people who bought this suffer from ADHD?

I actually think the most difficult encounter in DS3 are those Cathedral Knights with Greatswords outside of Ocelot's room. I don't think anyone ever beats them, people just run past them into the room. Their combination of speed, range, power and stamina is insane.

I just tried to kill the cathedral knight who is guarding some dumb item on the very top of the cathedral, after you cross the X-shaped stone supports / horizontal rafters. Fuck this. I wasted like 8 estus on him and just grabbed the item and fucked off. This is just stupid.

I've beaten all 3 games a number of times and I am having a hard time coming up with another enemy that is as stupid.

That's the easy Cathedral Knight. Most of them are reasonable to fight, it's specifically the ones guarding Ocelot with greatswords that are the problem. They have a different moveset, stamina set, etc. Trust me, those are insanely tough.

Curratum

Most people really suck at games. I don't mean sucking in a souls game.

I don't imagine people who suck at games that much will ever have the patience and willpower to get through to the DLC areas of DS3 where invasions are easiest.

Curratum

That's the easy Cathedral Knight. Most of them are reasonable to fight, it's specifically the ones guarding Ocelot with greatswords that are the problem. They have a different moveset, stamina set, etc. Trust me, those are insanely tough.

Sorry for double-posting so much but... The one I'm referring to at the very top of the cathedral is exactly the type with the huge, wide greatsword.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Curiously, as a sub-par action-RPG player, I beat the pontiff and the Dancer in something like 4-5 tries. I can see why the Pontiff is considered trouble (I think I got lucky) but I'm surprised the Dancer is considered difficult.

Princes wrecked my shit for days, could have easily died to them 50 times. Only Champion Gundyr came close to giving me the same trouble.

Sorry for double-posting so much but... The one I'm referring to at the very top of the cathedral is exactly the type with the huge, wide greatsword.

Yes, I know they have the same weapon, but the 2 guarding Ocelot are about 30 times tougher than the others with greatswords. I killed quite a few of the regular ones throughout the game, but those, I tried a couple of times and just skipped them.

overly excitable young man

Dark Souls 3 surely is the best of the series since it has the best bosses.
Never got the exploration idea of the games since there aren't really any resources that i get through exploration.

Also DS 3 is by far the least annoying of the 3 games.
Less annoying gimmick boss fights than DS 1 and 2.
And bonfires are right next to the bosses.

As i find the concept of Dark Souls very flawed (online invasion stuff, bonfires), the flaws are much less annoying in DS 3.
But honestly DS should just be a linear action game. Maybe Sekiro is right up my alley.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I don't imagine people who suck at games that much will ever have the patience and willpower to get through to the DLC areas of DS3 where invasions are easiest.

There are many, many people who only ever play the souls in coop. There are many, many of them. It was one of the chief more mainstream complaints about Sekiro.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/814380/discussions/0/3315110799624171130/

I don't like that they took the co-op element out of it. First of all, my friends and I have always found ways to play co-op from Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborne. We were very disappointed that even the slightest element of co-op was removed. I admit that I am not that great at defeating bosses and don't have much patience in grinding the same stuff for a month before passing it. So, this game probably won't be for me unless they add co-op at a later date.

Curratum

There are many, many people who only ever play the souls in coop. There are many, many of them. It was one of the chief more mainstream complaints about Sekiro.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/814380/discussions/0/3315110799624171130/

I don't like that they took the co-op element out of it. First of all, my friends and I have always found ways to play co-op from Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborne. We were very disappointed that even the slightest element of co-op was removed. I admit that I am not that great at defeating bosses and don't have much patience in grinding the same stuff for a month before passing it. So, this game probably won't be for me unless they add co-op at a later date.

That's news to me and it's also very puzzling.

Curratum

This game is so broken, it's not even funny.

I enter Aldritch first time this playthrough, NG+. The AI goes absolutely haywire once I get him to 30% health - constant soul spear / homing soul mass / arrow barrage. In the end I died to an arrow barrage that transitioned into two soul spears that you more or less can't dodge with no visibility after sprinting away from the arrows.

I entered the fight a second time and I killed him without losing any health, in about 40-50 seconds. All he did was miss me three times with his retarded melee lunges and I absolutely stagger-fucked him with my claymore.

If this is not the embodiment of RNG bosses, I don't know what is.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Are you sure you ran up to him after he teleported as fast in your first attempt as you did in the second? How long he's been away from you heavily influences whether he's going to go apeshit with spells or not.

I do agree that he's a terrible boss design though. He's either really stupid when you trigger him at range, or pissbaby easy if you always stay very close to him in melee and don't give him time for anything by sprinting to him every time he teleports.

All souls games have a few really terribly designed bosses though. Not sure I'd say I hate Aldritch more than, say, Bed of Bullshit.

Silva

Arcane
You forgot another infuriating mob that is on par with harder bosses and could have been the worst bosses of the game if they were given enough hitpoints :
4BZNwbv.jpg

If they had been legitimate bosses with the hp values that comes with the area difficulty (and thus general weapon upgrade) I might have uninstalled the game.
Yep, boreal knights are GOAT contender for most difficult enemies in soulsbornekiro multiverse. This one in the picture is partially difficult because the room you face him is small and there's a mimic at the corner that awakes if you hit it.

Another one:

images

Corvian knights are rage inducing difficult too.

But you know what? I play SoulsBorne for these guys. Actual duels that feel like a dance against tough dudes happening when your resources are partially depleted. Oh the rush.

Last edited:

Curratum

Those types of enemies are partially why my last build is a 40/40 refined claymore. Fuck those enemies. All you need to do is get one (hard-to-land, slow) clean hit, then you've stagger-locked them to death.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Curiously, as a sub-par action-RPG player, I beat the pontiff and the Dancer in something like 4-5 tries. I can see why the Pontiff is considered trouble (I think I got lucky) but I'm surprised the Dancer is considered difficult.

Princes wrecked my shit for days, could have easily died to them 50 times. Only Champion Gundyr came close to giving me the same trouble.
Many have problems with the Dancer because her attacks are delayed to the extreme and her patters can seem unpredictable.

If you know what you are doing, she is just as easy as any other boss in the game.

Falksi

Arcane

Many have problems with the Dancer because her attacks are delayed to the extreme and her patters can seem unpredictable.

If you know what you are doing, she is just as easy as any other boss in the game.

To add some extra spice to the fight I'd suggest buying a disco ball, placing in next to the screen so that the lights bouncing off it hit you in the eyes quite regularly, and turning up the volume with any of these playing in the background........

lol at beating bosses with your co-op boyfriends. is this thread on resetera or codex?:lol:
how fucking bad you have to be at this games to need summons on ng? just imagine summoning for fights with Genichiro, Owl or Ape in Sekiro. You are literally robbing yourself of any fun these games have to offer:decline:

DS3 might be the worst game of the trilogy but it has the best overall package of bosses. Anyone who bitches about bloodborne-like gameplay and need to constant roll obviously havent played ds3 with greatshield+great magic shield combo. You are literally immovable wall:lol: Sister Friede cant do shit to you but get bent.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I always thought of using a great shield as making the game too easy. I never used one. Only medium shields and I was never good enough to parry regularly.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
lol at beating bosses with your co-op boyfriends. is this thread on resetera or codex?:lol:
how fucking bad you have to be at this games to need summons on ng? just imagine summoning for fights with Genichiro, Owl or Ape in Sekiro. You are literally robbing yourself of any fun these games have to offer:decline:

It's From's fault for putting that mechanic in.

DS2 is pretty bad in this respect. I avoided summoning NPCs precisely because i wanted to experience the bosses by myself, as it should be, but it seems by doing that i missed out on a lot of NPC characterizations. It was kind of jarring talking to NPCs as if we did something together where we didn't do anything. It feels i "missed out" on something even if it was just some brief character interaction.

Also, helping people is fun. I liked being a sun bro on both DS1 and DS2, but that requires people using summons to basically skip bosses, and you can't bitch about people doing that when it is an option, has a whole covenant dedicated to it with rewards, has NPCs you want to interact with, some very well liked, like Solaire, etc. On my last DS1 run i ended up doing bosses, get them to where i almost killed them and then suicide myself to bring Solaire in so i could get both experiences lmao. Wouldn't work on the new super hard bosses they have introduced in the later games though. Some of the bosses in the DS2 DLCs died on me in the middle of the fight as i was so focused on avoiding their stuff and keeping an eye on my stamina i couldn't afford to even peek at their health.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
DS2 is pretty bad in this respect. I avoided summoning NPCs precisely because i wanted to experience the bosses by myself, as it should be, but it seems by doing that i missed out on a lot of NPC characterizations. It was kind of jarring talking to NPCs as if we did something together where we didn't do anything. It feels i "missed out" on something even if it was just some brief character interaction.
By not summoning NPCs, you don't miss out just on some brief interactions: you completely skip their quests, endings and item rewards included.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
By not summoning NPCs, you don't miss out just on some brief interactions: you completely skip their quests, endings and item rewards included.

Right. So i have to decide whether i want to trivialize some of the content of the game for the sake of those perks and rewards. I find this idea bothersome.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

Right. So i have to decide whether i want to trivialize some of the content of the game for the second of those perks and rewards. I find this idea bothersome.
Most of the time, to progress their quest, they also have to come out of the fight alive, so you can't even summon them and just watch them die.

However, quests rewards aren't that impressive (at least that I know of, I don't think I got all of them), so you won't miss out on anything that could change your playthrough.

If you really want to experience everything, you can use bonfire ascetics to fight NG+ versions of bosses and summon NPCs for those fights: you will get quests rewards/endings and you won't spoil your first boss encounter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom