Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Elminage Gothic (former Japan only dungeon crawler)

razvedchiki

Erudite
had my first party wipe, found a pink cricket at the 3rd lvl of the first dungeon that did 3 attacks per round for 120-140 dmg each.

Jason Liang

Arcane
If you cast your minimap spell you'll see the floor boss (red dot), who you should avoid until much, much later. There's one in every dungeon. They tend to wander about, some more than others. If you do bump into one, you should run using the alchemist spell.

razvedchiki

Erudite
after i died 5 times i decided to leave him for later. im now in an area with a lot of doors and alot of fights, before this area found a samurai that passed out.
why cant we use those sprites for our chars?

razvedchiki

Erudite
decided to restart.

the lord was a disapointment this far, he missed most of his attacks and died first.
the dragon samurai carried the team, he has good dmg and hit chance so no reason to use his breath attack most of the time.
the valkyrie was the second best team member, but im thinking to bring her in the backrow so i could have 4 total members able to melee.
alc/hunter was ok until she ran out of spells, not sure if its worth it to wait until she has all her 9 castings per spell lvl. (at what lvl will she get that?).
mage/alc the same, after spells run out she just defends but i plan to swith at lvl 13.
finally the thief did thief stuff, 99,% chance of disarming traps and doing some dmg with her bow. not plan to bring another in the new party, i will increase agi/luck to the casters and use them for thief stuff.

are shields worth it?

Jason Liang

Arcane
It seems like you haven't read this thread entirely...

And that's fine, if trial and error is your fun.

- I found hunters pretty weak for the main quest. Valkyries and mages are superior back row damage dealers.
- Did you take the Song of Healing/ Song of destruction ex skills?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
maybe casters are superior in the long run, but for the start it makes sense to have as many people that do dmg without resting.

you want the teleport spell to navigate around the dungeon asap, which is why mage is recommended. after that you can change him class.

PrettyDeadman

Some weak ass enemies keep calling reinforcements. They are unable to hurt me, but they have infinite number.
Do I have to reload the game?

Hrymr

Educated
Some weak ass enemies keep calling reinforcements. They are unable to hurt me, but they have infinite number.
Do I have to reload the game?
You have to either kill them fast enough, disable them in order to prevent them from calling the reinforcements, or run away from the combat. But later in the game enemies that can call reinforcements can be farmed for mad exp gains.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
teleport spell is also great for easily fighting fixed encounters in order to get good loot; they respawn every time u teleport and u can just teleport to your same coordinates.

And yeah, i honestly can't even imagine anyone playing through Elminage/Wizardry without teleport.

Ysaye

Arbiter
maybe casters are superior in the long run, but for the start it makes sense to have as many people that do dmg without resting.

IMO your problem is that you have only one of a Fighter / Brawler / Samurai in the front row; really you should have two. If you have two F/B/S's in the front row then they should be able to quickly absorb most pain and deal enough damage to clean up the many trash mobs in the first dungeon.

Then you can have one Lord/Cleric/Valkyrie as a secondary fighter on the front row as well, although I normally don't go with a Lord early on; train them as a spellcaster first (I like Mage because your Lord is the character most likely to survive later on and if they have a teleport as well as backup healing from cleric spells they are just a nice backup plan for most things going wrong) then switch them over.

You want to start building up an Alchemist ASAP - by the end of the first dungeon you should have crafted light regenerative equipment for all of your characters, meaning you can sustain your existence better, also the provide removal of chest traps and a range of other spells you just will want to have. Also as mentioned by Matador and Aweigh; you also want teleport ASAP, so having a mage is also very desirable, you can plan to change them out once they are ready, but they are often also an easy way of killing large groups early on if things do get hairy.

If you are concerned about the amount of damage the backrow can do, note you can "use" the Flamberge (buy in the shop for a reasonable some of gold) from the backrow by any character with it sitting in their inventory for significant damage (to one line of enemies if I recall correctly?). There are other weapons (Ice and Lightning Sword) like this which mean that you can get your backrow more active.

The Hunter and the Thief are nice classes for sitting in the backrow, as well as some of other secondary classes (Bard, Summoner etc.), but I suggest thinking about them a lot later when you have got a range of key spells on characters and some better equipment and crafting.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Started playing Elminage Original today (psp version). Are there any penalties/disadvantages for extremely old characters (for example the possibility to die of old age)? When creating a new character, game allows you to set his or her age as great as 999 years old, and I noticed that such characters get much better bonus attribute rolls (so it is possible to get samurai and ninjas from the very start), but are there any caveats to this, or it's just a sanctioned cheat for lazy/unskilled players?

Last edited:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
a very old character will have more chance of losing stats on lvl up I think, and if your vitality reach 0 then your character dies. Except probably Devilish, probably the only race that age doesn't really matter. (well elf and dragonewt isn't much a problem too I think)
there's one weapon in Elminage original that is stronger the older your character is I think.

In Elminage Original your age only increase by the time you spend resting at the inn I think(or the chest trap), so if you just stay to restore mp and heal yourself with magic, it'll take a long time before your character gets older.

In elminage gothic it's different though, your character get older each time they die.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Btw., I really enjoyed recruiting monster adventurers. What's not to like
B7CA2F0B455A9D8293CB8708A166F08DB31D8F1E

3420933B46DB0C05E11A7C6422BA57AAE0DD3018

2C3B9670D1F2CA3D16D717337531417225860722

2126718DC9790AF19E6815D73519B5A8DC8C3288

4783D0DCEED0E44B83DD0EDD76A5CCBA63583020

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm back!

First Ibag Tower shortcut in floor 5 open. 15 floors to go!

I think I need to optimise my equipment for the nasties that are appearing, so maybe I go farm some Ore at floor 3. I don't know if it is worth it.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
10th floor elevator shortcut open. "Only" 10 floors left!

Skillving is my bitch now. Aweigh was right, AC is the most important thing to improve. He barely hits me now where he was destroying me before, fucking sodomite. I guess levels matter also.

My party after casting Hallobukarm:

Human Ninja Level 80. AC -32
Dragon Samurai Level 85. AC -27
WereWolf Brawler Level 74. AC -26
Human Lord Level 90. AC -20
Elf Bishop Level 94. AC -9
Human Alchemist Level 113.AC -8

My new problem is an archer called Pollette. She makes Skillving look like a puppy, pretty insane if you ask me, good waifu also. Gotta keep on improving AC with crafting.

I'm doubting between going farming an Obokolope for my Samurai in Ibag 9th floor, or getting a second Muramasa for him in SOLDIER OF THE GIANT GODS B8 and get easy levels. The demons there are real losers against my current POWER. Easy XP.

Also want Demon Claws for the Brawler in 8F, seems like the best weapon in the whole game for him.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Polettes are fun. But just wait till you meet their upgrades, Stargazers. Who in addition to being massively stronger, also hunt in packs.

Think I've never managed to beat them. Even surviving the first volley is difficult.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom