Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seriously, how is Witcher 3 ranked higher than Age of Decadence in the Codex ranking?

• Thread starter Lilliput McHammersmith
  • Start date

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Sure, but the general consensus of the Codex believes that Disco Elysium is great. Just like the consensus is that W3 is a 5/5. It means that the consensus is retarded, or colloquially, the Codex is retarded.

The problem is the "silent" minority, silent in the RPG forums but not so much in the asylum GD.
And them retards like them polls, they don't know how to write, but they certainly know how to push them buttons* ...

And something not so awesome happens ...

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
It was probably the jrpg part of the forum. I know it's not a jrpg but those guys are idiots and if they can't tell between half the games they play and an rpg, then they probably can't tell the difference between the witcher and an rpg, or even a jrpg.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Because The Witcher 3 is a better game.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
If you want to put it in your top 10 personal games then no one is stopping you. If it's a list for top RPGs though, the basis on which you rate the game should probably be the rpg mechanics specifically.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The maxime that more RPG mechanics = better RPGs is the most retarded opinion that the Codex holds. My favourite painter is a facade painter because he uses the most paint.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The maxime that more RPG mechanics = better RPGs is the most retarded opinion that the Codex holds. My favourite painter is a facade painter because he uses the most paint.
More like my favorite painter is Chris Brown because although he doesn't paint, I'm sure somewhere in his 40ish years of living there was some paint involved and that's close enough for me.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
We constantly get such threads and it's almost always about Twitcher 3. Yes, Twitcher 3 isn't an RPG, but it gets into the polls because someone doesn't understand that and then a lot of lurkers and agents of decline upvote it. We have 2 factions on the 'Dex. You can't have AoD and Twitcher 3 vying for first position. It's like having Starcraft 1 and Black & White vying for first position as RTS of the year. Sure, you control a lot of little people (like one distinct character in AoD and Twitcher), but it's absolute insanity to conflate the two.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
It is hilarious how people hate W3 only because it is popular. W2 is literally the same game as W3 but with less production value. The changes are miniscule and it is impossible to say that one is more rpg than the other. But since W2 didnt sell gangbusters people have and had zero problems with it. Jesus disliking whatever is popular doesnt make your shit any more true. It is like a bad caricature of the Metal scene in even more antisocial and childish.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nobody* who hates Twitcher 3 likes Twitcher 2. They are practically the same game.

*sane

Ranarama

Learned
Why are people so down on a game that involves planning your skill increases and dialogue choices to precision to get an actual ending with several spreadsheets and a wiki?

It might technically have choices and consequences, but realistically they take place when planning to play, not when playing. So it doesn't feel like an RPG.

A game like TW3, even if it had zero choices, can feel like it does and come away with more of an RPG vibe than AoD.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
It is hilarious how people hate W3 only because it is popular. W2 is literally the same game as W3 but with less production value. The changes are miniscule and it is impossible to say that one is more rpg than the other. But since W2 didnt sell gangbusters people have and had zero problems with it. Jesus disliking whatever is popular doesnt make your shit any more true. It is like a bad caricature of the Metal scene in even more antisocial and childish.
I like the witcher games. It's just nobody in their right mind is playing witcher for the rpg mechanics. Recognize the reasons you like a game and stay in your own Lane. If you ever have a top 100 action adventure game list or whatever the fuck witcher is, then you're more than welcome to put it at the very top and jerk yourself off because you have a much of basic bitch majority votes agreeing with you.

Black_Willow

Arcane
So, we've got two games. One is an action game with stats, the other is a video novel with stats. Both aren't RPGs.
Ok, if we've got this covered, then which one is the better game overall (since none of them can be a better RPG, because none of them is one)?
That's easy - Witcher 3 is better.
Ok, case closed, time to retardo this thread and go home.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I like the witcher games. It's just nobody in their right mind is playing witcher for the rpg mechanics. Recognize the reasons you like a game and stay in your own Lane. If you ever have a top 100 action adventure game list or whatever the fuck witcher is, then you're more than welcome to put it at the very top and jerk yourself off because you have a much of basic bitch majority votes agreeing with you.

I dont even like the Witcher games. But calling them action adventure and not rpg is unbridled autism. All mayor quests have different endings and diverging paths. Geraldo has an upgrade system that can lead to significantly different gameplay styles. There are even skills that affect dialogue. There is loot and level ups and areas of the map which are gated by level. You can even turn level scaling off. It is not a particularily good rpg since combat is awfull and the pacing drags but it is absolutely an rpg.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
So, we've got two games. One is an action game with stats, the other is a video novel with stats. Both aren't RPGs.
Ok, if we've got this covered, then which one is the better game overall (since none of them can be a better RPG, because none of them is one)?
That's easy - Witcher 3 is better.
Ok, case closed, time to retardo this thread and go home.

This is an incredibly based take.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

I dont even like the Witcher games. But calling them action adventure and not rpg is unbridled autism. All mayor quests have different endings and diverging paths. Geraldo has an upgrade system that can lead to significantly different gameplay styles. There are even skills that affect dialogue. There is loot and level ups and areas of the map which are gated by level. You can even turn level scaling off. It is not a particularily good rpg since combat is awfull and the pacing drags but it is absolutely an rpg.

Quest choice doesn't make an rpg.Just because every game now a days likes to role play an rpg doesn't make them an rpg. Throwing in some half assed rpg-lite mechanics as an after thought doesn't change that. An rpg would have rpg mechanics actually prevalent to the gameplay, not just a background thing you dick around with every once in a while then ignore. It's the same reason I don't call Skyrim a puzzle game, because although there are some puzzles thrown around occasionally, nobody is playing it for the puzzles, and it's not a big enough part of the game to justify defining the game by it. Witcher is a visual novel with rpg-lite mechanics. Not an rpg and visual novel all in one.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's an RPG if:
A) you have to commit to a build (ie can't infinite level to max everything like Skyrim),
B) the game starts with character creation that relates to build (ie isn't just cosmetic like in Skyrim),
C) different builds have to approach problems in different ways (ie what build you choose is a meaningful choice), and
D) the game is primarily a test of your character's skills rather than your own.

I'm pretty sure Witcher 3 doesn't hit all of those criteria, but AoD does.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
D) the game is primarily a test of your character's skills rather than your own.

This part could use some clarifications though because i agree, action based combat system when you roll-roll-roll- click for half an hour to kill a monster isn't a RPG mechanism, yet, good tactical combat requires another set of skills.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

This part could use some clarifications though because i agree, action based combat system when you roll-roll-roll- click for half an hour to kill a monster isn't a RPG mechanism, yet, good tactical combat requires another set of skills.
D might not even be necessary. C kind of covers it already. A character with no points in Firearms shouldn't be choosing to fight with firearms just because the player is a good shot.

Codex Year of the Donut
A) you have to commit to a build (ie can't infinite level to max everything like Skyrim),
this means any class-based RPG without multiclassing isn't an RPG though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom