Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Adventure games for history lovers

Arbiter

Scholar
Can you recommend any titles apart from Broken Sword?

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Rome : A.D. 92
Red Hell
Conspiracy (KGB)

And Primordia if you're interested in the near future.

I wouldn't really recommend Broken Sword to anyone, but that's just me.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
In its own funny way, I wonder whether Police Quest might feel like a historical game now.

Broken Sword is not really a "historical" game, though, it's a game about uncovering history. Most of the suggestions in this thread are not really on point for that. I would say that the Gabriel Knight series would be a good option, maybe also Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, maybe The Dagger of Amon-Ra.

If you are ok with the game being about future history, then you might enjoy that recent Inkle game the name of which is escaping me; people say it's good, and it's basically about being a xenohistorian. You might also enjoy The Dig in the same vein.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I've been meaning to try The Egyptian Prophecy: The Fate of Ramses, on account of this steam review:

Firstly, I have a dual degree in archaeology and history, as well as number of years under my belt working in the field as an archaeologist. This game is surprizingly accurate in many respects! It got the mythology right, which you do sometimes tend to see in games set in Egypt ... but more importantly it got the "everyday life" aspect right (which you NEVER see). The devs really did their research on this game, and it's highly appreciated!! The houses are laid out properly, the material culture is right down to the feathers on the floor and the pottery styles. Even the spells you cast are taken from ancient stories. This makes it one of the only entertainment pieces (games, movies, etc) set in ancient Egypt that has kept me entirely immersed. And I admit I'm hard to please in that aspect - my friends tend to think of me a "spoil sport" when movies or games "get things wrong".

Aside from that, the game is simply a lot of fun. It's challenging WITHOUT PIXEL HUNTING (because, amazingly, I guess people realized that this was possible), but it never had me so stumped that I was pulling my hair out.

All in all I highly recommend this game if you're in to either point and click or puzzles. And if you're not but you like this time era, pick it up anyway. $5 is very worth it. $2 even more so if you get it on sale!

P.S. Also in answer to one of the previous reviews - I don't get seizures, but I do get very frequent migraines. While blurring in other games (and Vsync - I hate Vsync so much, it causes so much ppaaaaiinnnn) do cause issues.... I didn't actually have a problem or notice the blurring in the cut scenes. In terms of migraine sufferers, it should be fine :)

P.P.S. If you're like me and played Egypt 1156 b.c. Tomb of the Pharaoh as a kid ... just buy this and try it out. The nostalgia is intoxicating. :D

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Cryo Interactive made/published a couple of historically accurate adventure games, more edutainment than actual games. The one I had the good fortune to play as a young lad was Versailles 1685. The plot is completely fictitious, but it gives a look into the routine of the nobles in the château de Versailles and the palace itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSgetlZwc34 (embed is disabled)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IAUJtEuTsQ

Their Omni3D engine was further used for China: The Forbidden City, Egypt 1156 B.C.: Tomb of the Pharaoh, TimeScape: Journey to Pompeii, and so on. Although it is not an historical adventure game I must also mention that Cryo's adaption of Wagner's Ring cycle into a game, Ring: The Legend of the Nibelungen, particularly caught my imagination. With dazzling designs created by Philippe Druillet, the French comic book artist, and set to the orchestral score of the opera itself it was really quite something and not what you'd expect.

Alex

Arcane
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon
Black Dahlia

I read black dahlia as black dracula... I do think we are sorely lacking in the historical blackula adventure games field.

Edit: Jack, please feel free to list any games that might fall into this particular niche.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom