Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Original settings in RPG game

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Tell me it at least does not have romances.
Take a wild guess. It's the video game version of the spy flick, in case the YT videos weren't clear enough. You think romances aren't a natural part of the formula?

Fucking puritans.

Arbiter

Scholar
I wonder why Bethesda went from exotic Morrowind to a bland non-canon Cyrodill. Was Todd a one trick pony?

Bethesda shifts to consoles... goal was targeting Xbox 360 plus going back to a familiar-looking setting which would resonate better with the masses, as well as replacing dice roll combat with controller-friendly action combat.

Speaking of which, I have not heard about Elder Scrolls 6 in a while. What is brewing in Todd Howard's mind?

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Martian Dreams and Savage Empire (free on gog)

The five Quest for Glory games have pretty exotic setting, if you're open minded.

The games made by Stuart Smith, if you can chew them.

Cross

Arcane
I wonder why Bethesda went from exotic Morrowind to a bland non-canon Cyrodill. Was Todd a one trick pony?
Todd Howard didn't have anything to do with Morrowind's setting. During development he actually advocated for making it less exotic.

Alpha Brotocol. Because RPGs set in the modern-day real world are extremely rare for some reason.
I wouldn't really use Alpha Protocol as an example of that considering it plays out like any modern military shooter. The lack of any sort of exploration or city hub means the modern-day real-world aspect is largely window dressing since the player can't interact with the setting all that much. Jagged Alliance and Bloodlines are much better examples of RPGs that let you explore a contemporary setting (even if technically, neither is truly set in the 'real world').

Arbiter

Scholar
Tell me it at least does not have romances.
Take a wild guess. It's the video game version of the spy flick, in case the YT videos weren't clear enough. You think romances aren't a natural part of the formula?

Fucking puritans.

It even has texture popins. Only non-open world game apart from ID tech 5/6/7 games with popins that I have ever seen.

Geckabor

Savant
Gothic's (1) setting is worth mentioning. A prison colony primarily used for mining gets a barrier placed around it and all prisoners turn on the guards and take over the place.

laclongquan

Arcane
You speak of "original" as it it's something to be desired.

In game media, "original" is NOT equal to "quality". Sometimes it might overlap, but most of the times it's just fluff.

The rare case where it really matter is really rare though. And mostly they are derived from other IP.

BG/PST/NWN setting. Times of Troubles is quite an interesting period in Forgotten Realms. Sigil is quite interesting location. But not Neverwinter areas.

Fallout 1/2 is interesting because retrofuturism, where they reimagine future as something people in the 50s imagine it. Something that was abandoned in F3/4/76.

Morrowind setting is slightly interesting but only slightly. Reminescent somewhat of Midgard civilization in Norse mythology. somewhat. (Scratch that. It is interesting in its own right but the damn writings in Morrowind is really sucky.)

KOTOR series is Star Wars, of course. As an nonAmerican, I find it interesting only thanks to KOTOR the game, not because of the Star Wars aura. SW is waaaay overrated.

VTM Bloodlines is from White Wolf IP. the game setting is interesting entirely due to the game, not due to itself~

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's not forget Richard & Alan's Escape From Hell:

maxresdefault.jpg

13-01bonus073.png

buffalo bill

Arcane
Caves of Qud

From Steam:
Caves of Qud is a science fantasy roguelike epic steeped in retrofuturism, deep simulation, and swathes of sentient plants. Come inhabit an exotic world and chisel through layers of thousand-year-old civilizations. Decide: is it a dying earth, or is it on the verge of rebirth?
Who are you?
Play the role of a mutant indigenous to the salt-spangled dunes and jungles of Qud, or play a pure-strain descendant from one of the few remaining eco-domes—the toxic arboreta of Ekuemekiyye, the Holy City; the ice-sheathed arcology of Ibul; or the crustal mortars of Yawningmoon.

You arrive at the oasis-hamlet of Joppa, along the far rim of Moghra'yi, the Great Salt Desert. All around you, moisture farmers tend to groves of viridian watervine. There are huts wrought from rock salt and brinestalk. On the horizon, Qud's jungles strangle chrome steeples and rusted archways to the earth. Further and beyond, the fabled Spindle rises above the fray and pierces the cloud-ribboned sky.

You clutch your rifle, or your vibroblade, or your tattered scroll, or your poisonous stinger, or your hypnotized goat. You approach a watervine farmer—he lifts the brim of his straw hat and says, "Live and drink, friend."

vazha

Arcane
Inquisitor had the best pseudomedieval setting I know of, and its not everyday you get to torture people (including innocents) in a game.
Geneforge series, if you can stomach general Vogelness.
Prelude to Darkness had an eerie early medieval dark ages feel to it, I remember being genuinely interested in the plot & setting.

vazha

Arcane
please tell me that's a computer game and then please tell me where can i throw my money at it.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Almost everything by Spiders:
- Mars: War Logs
- Technomancer
- Bound by Flame
- Greedfall

Especially the first two.

deuxhero

Arcane
Unfortunately, there isn't an Eberron game that doesn't just completely waste the setting and there's not a single proper RPG in it.

Never played Alpha Protocol due to lots of negative opinions.
Your loss.

Just started watching an LP on YT. First impression: a dialogue wheel. With a timer. Is this a Mass Effect on Earth? Tell me it at least does not have romances.

This actually works in AP because you're explicitly told, during the tutorial, the main character's signature skill is manipulating people. This immediately frees it of the problem with your character's dialog not aligning with what you want to say because you're choosing the option you feel will give the best result, not what you would say. This is reinforced by the ability to buy information on people that will clue you into what dialog options will work best on them.

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
The Legacy: Realm of Terror, Realms of the Haunting, Robinson's Requiem, Elvira 1 and 2, Waxworks, Thunderscape, and The Stone Prophet, and the aforementioned Albion and Perihelion, from the top of my head.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Can't think of anything to add to Jarl's list, great work. Just wanted to say:

Perihelion. Good luck finding it though.
You can email Edvard Toth for a link or find it on slsk, git gud.

He actually just has a download link to it and an Amiga emulator here: https://edvardtoth.com/games/perihelion/#.XrnhvWhKiUk

I'll admit though, it really was hard to find. I had to Google "perihelion" and "game" together as one search! :obviously:

Doesn't work as far as I know

vazha

Arcane
Almost everything by Spiders:
- Mars: War Logs
- Technomancer
- Bound by Flame
- Greedfall

Especially the first two.
Of Orcs and Men isn't exactly original, but it definitely does turn the traditional setting upside down.
Also, alongside Game of Thrones RPG, it has the best video game bromance ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom