Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Also, discussing a fucking hair physics in a thread about BLOODLINES 2 aka The Game I Never Expected To Get Actually Made is fucking asinine

Are you trying to imply there's a reason it shouldn't be held to the most exacting standards possible?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I think pony tails and similar hairstyles that don't brush up against the character's body are also easier to do.

Anyway Bloodlines 2 does have moving hair, we were just talking about that one lady in the trailer that doesn't look good.

move the goal post!?

user

Savant
Yeah but those blood vfx are FAR worse in comparison imo, than hair not being animated or even facial expressions.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Character hair is possibly the dumbest gripe to have about this game. Anything that looks better than Outer Worlds dyke hair should be seen as acceptable. Far more concerning should be that everything about this game suggests it's going to be a complete disaster, from the writing to the gameplay.

Prime Junta

HairWorks looks pretty good.

It's a shame though that five years after it's out you still need a beefy GPU to run it without killing the frame rate. Or that hardly anyone supports it. Hair is hard.

ChildInTime

Learned
I remember when this video was around to show how great the cloth and hair simulation will be in a World of Darkness MMO. Those were the days.

Cael

Arcane
There was a time when game developers dared to dream great dreams. Dreams of interactive worlds, gorgeous scenery and cutting edge technology.

Nowadays, we get memory bloat and game developers who wouldn't how to code and only fair in the tool package they were using. Oh, and fat trannies screaming about what a great person they are for writing stuff just for YOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!!

The dreams of yesteryear are now nothing but bloated corpses in the grey, stinking marshlands of ineptitude.

Doma

Augur
There was a time when game developers dared to dream great dreams.

Problem is, thats all CCP is doing. Dreaming.

They made a smash-hit with EVE. But it came out in 2003. They have not managed to make anything else and ended up sitting on the WOD-IP for years. We got nothing out of that but dreamy techdemos.

Sure VTMB 2 might not set the world on fire, but at least we will probably be getting something.

Disclaimer: I love EVE and have been playing since 2007. My views of CCP might be tainted by that.

Cael

Arcane
There was a time when game developers dared to dream great dreams.

Problem is, thats all CCP is doing. Dreaming.

They made a smash-hit with EVE. But it came out in 2003. They have not managed to make anything else and ended up sitting on the WOD-IP for years. We got nothing out of that but dreamy techdemos.

Sure VTMB 2 might not set the world on fire, but at least we will probably be getting something.

Disclaimer: I love EVE and have been playing since 2007. My views of CCP might be tainted by that.
It is not just CCP. Westwood, Origins, Microprose, Infocom, even Bioware when they did BG. They all had great ideas. All killed by ineptitude epitomised by EA and Microshite.

The Real Fanboy
All Hardsuit need to do is let you put snap clips in your hair and Bloodlines 2 will be the goat of style
ERhyIHx.png

And fyi in the latest world of darkness stream Outstar said at least part of the main story is fighting over the blood trade and who controls it in Seattle!

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
It is not just CCP. Westwood, Origins, Microprose, Infocom, even Bioware when they did BG. They all had great ideas. All killed by ineptitude epitomised by EA and Microshite.

I would argue it was:
  1. The improperly-managed professionalization that these studios underwent after achieving critical and some financial success
  2. The poorly-managed increase in personnel that ultimately did not reflect the original talent that made these studios so successful, and could not have produced those old games even if they wanted to
  3. The adoption of taylorist workflows to accommodate 1 and 2, which were also incapable of capturing the process(es) that lead to the "need" for 1.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Making flowing hair look realistic in games is so hard, yet what have we here

What we have here is a barely functional but stupidily ineffective way to make hair flow, because Nvidia hairworks is patented shit.
rating_lulz.gif

Using tessellation to create hair effects
rating_lulz.gif
rating_lulz.gif
rating_lulz.gif
that's so stupid. Only Nvidia.

The open source TressFX works better on their own Geforce cards then their dumbass "tech".

Think about it. Their "hairworks" is such a poorly thought out API, that another API, not even specifically designed for Nvidia GPUs, runs better on Nvidia GPUs than "hairworks".
facepalm.png

Semiurge

Cipher
Making flowing hair look realistic in games is so hard, yet what have we here

What we have here is a barely functional but stupidily ineffective way to make hair flow, because Nvidia hairworks is patented shit.
rating_lulz.gif

Using tessellation to create hair effects
rating_lulz.gif
rating_lulz.gif
rating_lulz.gif
that's so stupid. Only Nvidia.

The open source TressFX works better on their own Geforce cards then their dumbass "tech".

Think about it. Their "hairworks" is such a poorly thought out API, that another API, not even specifically designed for Nvidia GPUs, runs better on Nvidia GPUs than "hairworks".
facepalm.png

Kinda like Nvidia's ray tracing at the moment. One might even suspect that they are deliberately making its hardware implementation in current generation cards shit so that they will have something to market newer cards with...

Still, flowing hair looks great in Witcher 3 even without Hairworks, that cutscene with Geralt and Vesemir after the tutorial is impressive.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I really don't care about the graphics but those facial animations could use some improvements.
Man, don't underestimate facial animations. VtMB demonstrates a fine example of how to properly animate human faces. And this example stands out even today, 16 years later. Like, how much of modern games feature lifeless wooden NPCs? Or imagine VtMB characters with that wax unmoving faces of modern games: instant nosedive in immersion. Or better, imagine Bethesda trying to do anything like Theresa/Jeanette confrontation and how awful it'll be. Sadly, it's seems that modern devs are more interested in hair physics and shiny particles than in creating believable NPCs.

Wesp5

Arcane
Man, don't underestimate facial animations. VtMB demonstrates a fine example of how to properly animate human faces. And this example stands out even today, 16 years later.

I agree completely. Also Troika made a system so that the emotions could be triggered by simple commands during dialogues, no special cutscene animations or anything needed!

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Also Troika made a system so that the emotions could be triggered by simple commands during dialogues, no special cutscene animations or anything needed!

It's a hit-or-miss feature really. It worked the same way in NWN2 but was awful.

typical user

Arbiter
So will there be any references to Vampire Masquarade: Redemption in this? Christof sword being the strongest melee weapon or a diary mentioning the death of the leader of Society of Leopold's. Would be cool AF in my book.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom