Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wish some developer said "adding bland companion quests was too much effort, that's why we could add some interesting feature that we randomly came up with and we liked it".

But this would have been more like the Troika Cain and Boyarski. Now they are old and wise from their past "failures", so they know to only deliver what's safe if mediocre.

KVVRR

Learned
I enjoyed going to get some drinks with Parvati, even if it was weird we couldn't sit down, but the rest of her quest was awful. I really didn't care about her love interest at all and why the fuck did they think it was a good idea to make it not one but TWO fetchquests at the same time?

it's not even worth it when her bad ending is actually a lot more interesting that the good one, with her going full mute and all of that.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Out of curiosity, do people think the original one's content and design warrant enough reason for there to be a sequel in the future?
I remember hearing that The White March was better than Pillars of Eternity base campaign? I feel like Outer Worlds shows enough potential for them to come back and do it right. The intent and some of the ideas were there, just didn't cook long enough.
The White March was better than the base game in Pillars. It's very good DLC. But I also liked Pillars more than I liked TOW

RuySan

Augur
Started playing this one on Gamepass....and it's perfectly fine, even if very unambitious. I love the colourful look of it, and the anti-capitalist message is lovely for a commie like me, but the game plays it very safe. Even Fallout 4 is much deeper and has more interacting systems than this. But I'm still at the beginning.

Lilliput McHammersmith

I, too, like hardtack more than stale bread.

Ha!

I think the general consensus on the Codex is wrong about Pillars. I played it right after playing Baldur’s Gate for the first time and I loved it. Pillars is no hardtack. It’s easily an 8/10, especially with The White March. I loved the combat and the story.

(I also like BG1 more than BG2, so y’know, different strokes I guess)

I played this game through and thought it was fun, but I was disappointed at how short it was. We were all warned about that, though.

One thing it made me notice was that New Vegas was kind of just a perfect storm of various factors. You get rid of the Bethesda parts of New Vegas and you end up with The Outer Worlds, and admittedly it's weaker for it. The bad things about that game are all due to its Fallout 3 (and Bethesda) DNA, but those are also the sources of many of its good parts from a design perspective, too.

Obsidian was forced to make New Vegas an open world game with a lot of exploration, environmental storytelling, and general "open-ness" for mods to add content, because they were building a total conversion for a Bethesda game. The Outer Worlds has next to none of that. All the areas and locations are very contained and closed areas. There's no real exploration to do and no point to do it, there's not a lot of environmental storytelling, and there's very little open-endedness to add any new content through mods that would fit into the rest of the game. I don't foresee this game having a very vibrant modding scene even once (if) mod support comes out.

In that way it seems like the New Vegas they might have made instead if they were making their own game and not a mod for somebody else's. Whether you like that is up to you, but it's definitely not New Vegas 2. It's still one of the better RPGs to come out in the last 5 years though, which may or may not be an upsetting fact to some.

I'm gonna leave the SJW shit aside. Honestly, it's not really that invasive. I've noticed that the whining about it mostly comes from people who haven't played the game but saw a single 2016 haircut in some preview footage and latched onto that as an indicator of everything else in the game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Talby how is liking Pillars an NPC opinion? Literally everyone on this site dislikes it. It's odd, because Pillars is huge incline.

It's in the top 50 on here, so I don't think many actually consider it "bad." It's just kind of bland and has some quirks, so the try-hards call it irredeemable shit like they always do.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It's in the top 50 on here, so I don't think many actually consider it "bad." It's just kind of bland and has some quirks, so the try-hards call it irredeemable shit like they always do.
Pillars of Eternity finished #45 using a voting system that did not ask Codexers for an assessment of games but instead to cast a few votes for their favorite RPGs --- meaning that a game could be widely hated by the Codex yet still finish in the top 100 list, as was just barely the case for Oblivion(!) of all games. The superior voting system used for the poll covering RPGs from 2012 through 2016 placed Pillars of Eternity in 23rd place among a much smaller selection of CRPGs. Even there, it was aided by the Bayesian average that granted an advantage to Pillars of Eternity for being so widely played by Codexers (for example, Lords of Xulima had an average score of 3.50 to 3.39 for PoE, but its smaller number of votes resulted in a lower Bayesian average score).

15468.jpg

15465.jpg

Takamori

Learned
Regarding The Outer Worlds, I played at max difficulty and it was a honest 6/10 experience. Good ideas there but lacked the budget to do justice to then and there was flaws with story telling and companions. Felt that the game setting the story around you was all right but the main quest story and the companions around you felt a bit preachy, like one of those He-man endings where he advised kids to not set themselves on fire. Its mediocre but not in a negative way, it does everything okayish but nothing that would make me remember this experience for too long. For the little price that I paid for it, I can't be mad at it.

Lilliput McHammersmith

If you notice the arm, you don't wanna see her tits.

But why would you want to see cartoon tits in the first place?

1. Plummeting testosterone levels.
2. Skyrocketing popularity of anime, nintendo, capeshit.

Correlation or causation?

Yeah why are testosterone levels plummeting? Where is that one poster who's signature says "Longing for the days when men were men and RPGs were RPGs"

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yeah why are testosterone levels plummeting? Where is that one poster who's signature says "Longing for the days when men were men and RPGs were RPGs"
You called? :M There are several theories (e.g. rising obesity, less smoking, sedentary behavior, worse diets) for the fall in testosterone levels in Western countries but no clear answer.

However, the purpose of my signature is encouraging newbies to play Dungeon Master and learn to appreciate the classics. +M

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You called? :M There are several theories (e.g. rising obesity, less smoking, sedentary behavior, worse diets) for the fall in testosterone levels in Western countries but no clear answer.

All those are likely contributors (especially diets) but the biggest one is probably the Age of Safety and Abundance. Testosterone is a steroid and has some nasty effects for the body - men are more susceptible to diseases (cancer, viruses, heart attack), die sooner and other troubles. So the body is quite happy to ditch it as soon as it's not really needed. And you don't need to be as strong and aggressive as a cave man when you can just jump in your car and drive to Walmart whenever you want to eat instead having to wrestle a bison or chase an antelope for 20 miles.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
you don't need to be as strong and aggressive as a cave man when you can just jump in your car and drive to Walmart whenever you want to eat instead having to wrestle a bison or chase an antelope for 20 miles.
Wtf, man?!
Why didn't anyone tell me that 30 years ago?
I've been going to all these troubles to get my fresh antelope steak :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom