Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

Jinn

Arcane
12 pages and the game is dead :)

Most people on the codex use PC as their primary gaming device. It was the same way with the original Nioh thread.

cruel

Cipher
OK, Shibata Katsuie fight. WTF is this. Massive HP, hits like a truck, OHKO combos, rush / charge during which he can bounce from walls and repeat 4 times, almost no openings. WTF.

Managed to beat him after like 12 tries, but I was forced to play like a pussy - poison buildup and one hit here and there, and some luck. And now I keep reading that he got nerfed in 1.07 and was even worse before :lol:. I can only imagine what a pleasant fight that was before the nerf.

Hyperion

Arcane
His damage was higher, his rush-grab was practically unavoidable because of outrageous tracking, and he used it more frequently, and often multiple times in a row.

cruel

Cipher
I'm wondering if Team Ninja hired another level designer for Nioh 2. Most of the levels look similar to what we have seen in first Nioh (forest, village, fort, etc.), maybe a little bit better with more shortcuts in place. But every now and then, there is a level that looks totally different than everything else - like Viper Sanctum mission and what I was playing right now, Mausoleum of Evil. Suddenly we have big open space, a lot of vertical traversal, secrets, hidden passages etc. It's almost like somebody else was doing those levels. Good stuff.

cruel

Cipher
Whoever is responsible for Lady Osakabe boss fight should be fired immediately and never touch game development. The whole game was pretty good with boss fights, the conclusion is near, tension rises... So let's throw all of this into trash and put a horrible, annoying, gimmicky boss right close to the end. Why?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Whoever is responsible for Lady Osakabe boss fight should be fired immediately and never touch game development. The whole game was pretty good with boss fights, the conclusion is near, tension rises... So let's throw all of this into trash and put a horrible, annoying, gimmicky boss right close to the end. Why?

Is it a Yamata-No-Orochi boss?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Did they hired someone from piranha bytes to design the final boss?

Mystary!

Arcane

Is it a Yamata-No-Orochi boss?

Basically. I handled them the same way - cannon fire!

cruel

Cipher
Exactly, Yamata-No-Orochi part 2. For some reason I don't remember being so angry with Orochi in Nioh 1, I think the building itself was giving you much more cover there, and Onmyo was hitting him harder than here. Bed of Chaos at least keeps its state between your deaths - here, if you destroy all the heads in part 1, and have only one left in part 2, you need to start from scratch after dying. And it's easy to die, because the laser on top of your head hits for 1500+ damage. So exciting.

So far the tree worst (not hardest, just bad) bosses: Lady Osakabe, Daidara Bocchi and Gyuki.

But, there are only 5 rounds to carry, +1 with Samurai skill. This is barely enough to bring her to half health. You mean cannon fire in part 1 and regular melee in dark realm, right? Can you even shoot her in the eye during Dark Realm?

Last edited:

Mystary!

Arcane
Exactly, Yamata-No-Orochi part 2. For some reason I don't remember being so angry with Orochi in Nioh 1, I think the building itself was giving you much more cover there, and Onmyo was hitting him harder than here. Bed of Chaos at least keeps its state between your deaths - here, if you destroy all the heads in part 1, and have only one left in part 2, you need to start from scratch after dying. And it's easy to die, because the laser on top of your head hits for 1500+ damage. So exciting.

So far the tree worst (not hardest, just bad) bosses: Lady Osakabe, Daidara Bocchi and Gyuki.

But, there are only 5 rounds to carry, +1 with Samurai skill. This is barely enough to bring her to half health. You mean cannon fire in part 1 and regular melee in dark realm, right? Can you even shoot her in the eye during Dark Realm?

Yeah you can, and you have twice as much, normal and explosive. I might have mixed in some burst counters on the stalks while I was running around waiting for here eye to open, but 90% was cannon for sure.

Dyskolos

Cipher
New patch out today with new missions and a few nice equipment display options. Now you don't have to look like an overpacked caravan camel.

FIXES-

-Fixed gameplay crash issues

-Fixed framerate drop problem

-Adressed stuttering and lag issues

-Performance and stability improvements

-Various under the hood fixes

ADDED-

BASIC GAME SETTINGS OPTIONS

-Display Melee Weapon

-Display Ranged Weapon

-Display Blood Splatter on Player

MENU OPTION

-Photo Mode

ADDED MISSIONS

-Twilight Mission "Mountain of the Dark Lord"

Online Missions- All missions below are a new type of mission called "Online Mission". The twilight Mission is unconfirmed as an Online Mission.

-Shadow Mission "The Chinese Bellflower Dagger"

-Shadow Mission "The Child Prodigy's Invitation"

-Shadow Mission "A Strong Bond"

-Twilight (Region)Mission "Farewell to the Past"

-Afterglow Mission "Winds of Ruin"

-Afterglow Mission "The Trustworthy"

-Afterglow Mission "Wave of Terror"

-Afterglow Mission "Calamity's Pulse"

Silva

Arcane
No one? Is this shit dead already or what.

Come on faggots. Is the premise less silly this time or are we back with Geralt in Japan sticking his dick into geishas and Yokais and historic jap personalities to prove white man superior to yellow man again?

cruel

Cipher
Hard to answer. The story is more serious than the first one, but far from great. You're basically helping Nobunaga for most of the game, before things go south. They tried expand the lore, each and every character met in the game has a story you can review from the menu - and the story expands while the journey goes on. I would call it a little bit better than the first one, but clearly not the strongest point of the game.

Atmosphere - there were few levels that made me very happy, like a big cave filled with poison or Buddhist temple hidden underwater. Most of the levels are similar to what we had in first Nioh though, maybe a little bit better with more shortcuts / alternative pathways, but cursed forest / Japanese village or some fort are still the majority. I very rarely (maybe even never?) had the thought that specific level is total shit. Nothing close to first visit to Catacombs or Blighttown in Dark Souls 1, unfortunately.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
from what i heard it's basically fixes most of my complaints in nioh 1: the lack of enemy variety and environment.
I still can't understand how is it possible that the first game had so many fucking bosses and, at the same time, so few normal enemies. There was at least one boss for each normal enemy in that game...

cruel

Cipher
Finally finished the game. Took me freaking 113 hours, level 127, most of the sub-missions completed. I had a blast, started playing on the day of release and played 1.5h - 2h every day since then. Extremely fun gameplay and very addicting, I didn't feel bored at all. Was using Dual Swords and Odachi, plus heavy Ninjutso + Onmyo. I had more fun playing this than Dark Souls 2 to be honest. 8.5/10.

Final boss was a fantastic fight - probably best fight in the game for me. Difficult, demanding, keeping you on your toes, but without any cheap grab moves killing you out of nowhere and other crap. Three hardest bosses for me in general: Shibata Katsuie, Yatsu-no-Kami, final boss

If I were to summarize the good and the bad, first the good:
- enemy variety fixed completely; a TON of new enemy types, reused on regular basis so you don't get bored; new enemy types even after 60h of playing
- level design better than original (but still far from perfect)
- no cheap enemy tactics in the first half of the game
- many life quality improvements (offering stuff to Kodama at the shrine to get ammo / elixirs / skip farming stuff)
- new Souls Core mechanic is great
- good boss fights most of the time
- some surprising references to first Nioh
- amazing variety of ways to kill stuff; can't think of any game that does that: you can use any of the 9 weapons, shoot stuff from bow / rifle / cannon, poison / burn / shock, backstab, throw a bomb, put a trap on the ground, throw from the cliff, etc.
- pure, gameplay focused FUN, no bullshit, politics, SJW and other crap

And the bad:
- level design could be better
- story could be better
- not a fan of Burst Counter mechanic
- some of the bosses were bad (Gyuki, Daidara Bocchi, Lady Osakabe)
- some of the bosses were too easy (Yoshimoto, Saito)
- games starts to feel cheap at times (not always) around halfway mark (frequently hidden enemies, ambushes, etc.) (solvable with Enemy Sensor)
- balance is not perfect; at times I felt there is zero reason to use Dual Swords, while you can just use Odachi (other than quick poison / fire buildup)

Overall, highly recommended for all Souls fans. If you take the time to learn the game, skills and stances, you will have a lot of fun playing this. Team Ninja confirmed once again that they are making best Souls like games not made by From.

Ivan

Arcane
Finally finished the game. Took me freaking 113 hours, level 127, most of the sub-missions completed. I had a blast, started playing on the day of release and played 1.5h - 2h every day since then. Extremely fun gameplay and very addicting, I didn't feel bored at all. Was using Dual Swords and Odachi, plus heavy Ninjutso + Onmyo. I had more fun playing this than Dark Souls 2 to be honest. 8.5/10.

Final boss was a fantastic fight - probably best fight in the game for me. Difficult, demanding, keeping you on your toes, but without any cheap grab moves killing you out of nowhere and other crap. Three hardest bosses for me in general: Shibata Katsuie, Yatsu-no-Kami, final boss

If I were to summarize the good and the bad, first the good:
- enemy variety fixed completely; a TON of new enemy types, reused on regular basis so you don't get bored; new enemy types even after 60h of playing
- level design better than original (but still far from perfect)
- no cheap enemy tactics in the first half of the game
- many life quality improvements (offering stuff to Kodama at the shrine to get ammo / elixirs / skip farming stuff)
- new Souls Core mechanic is great
- good boss fights most of the time
- some surprising references to first Nioh
- amazing variety of ways to kill stuff; can't think of any game that does that: you can use any of the 9 weapons, shoot stuff from bow / rifle / cannon, poison / burn / shock, backstab, throw a bomb, put a trap on the ground, throw from the cliff, etc.
- pure, gameplay focused FUN, no bullshit, politics, SJW and other crap

And the bad:
- level design could be better
- story could be better
- not a fan of Burst Counter mechanic
- some of the bosses were bad (Gyuki, Daidara Bocchi, Lady Osakabe)
- some of the bosses were too easy (Yoshimoto, Saito)
- games starts to feel cheap at times (not always) around halfway mark (frequently hidden enemies, ambushes, etc.) (solvable with Enemy Sensor)
- balance is not perfect; at times I felt there is zero reason to use Dual Swords, while you can just use Odachi (other than quick poison / fire buildup)

Overall, highly recommended for all Souls fans. If you take the time to learn the game, skills and stances, you will have a lot of fun playing this. Team Ninja confirmed once again that they are making best Souls like games not made by From.

Would you recommend someone who hasn't played the first to start with this one?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
as far as gameplay goes, Nioh absolutely trumps any souls games. it's alot more complex with different stances, different weapon movesets, and tools you can use. dark souls mostly win over by big margin in term of atmoshphere and level design, but when it comes to pure combat, it's ultra fun.

i played nioh 1 almost a year ago and that was quite a blast.

Silva

Arcane
Ivan just play the first one, it's good.
Warning: if you're like me you'll find Nioh 1 pretty boring. It has a nice combat but everything else feels like your standard PS2-era arcadey action. Don't know if Souls spoiled me but after 10 or so hours of Nioh I just lost interest. There's no sense of discovery here. Your mind isn't stimulated to try and pierce together mental maps of levels or lore or how the world fits etc. You're just running through stages doing combat after combat to open shiny new skillz and get loot that gives 0.02 to your attack.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Because it's not a game for lore and atmosphere fags.

But yes, it depends a lot on what you are looking for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom