Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bloodlines 2 Dev Diary #11: Working from Haven + Come Dance Trailer at Inside Xbox

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Andy Kipling; Hardsuit Labs; Paradox Interactive; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

Over in Seattle, the developers of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 are still under lockdown and working from home due to the coronavirus pandemic. That was the topic of yesterday's development update by Hardsuit CEO Andy Kipling, which had almost nothing about the game itself other than a new screenshot and a promise that some new media would be dropping soon. However, it turns out that by "soon" he meant an hour later at Microsoft's latest Inside Xbox event. It's a new trailer showing the vampires of Bloodlines 2 enjoying a night on the town, interspersed with a few brief snippets of gameplay. Here's that along with an excerpt from the update:

Hey Everyone, it is me again, Andy Kipling, CEO of HSL and sometimes Producer on Bloodlines 2! I am here to give you an update on Bloodlines 2 development; or more specifically an update on how us developers are getting along.

First, let me start by saying that I hope you are all navigating these trying times brought on by this global pandemic in as safe and as best way you possibly can. At Hardsuit we have been working diligently to first and foremost ensure for the safety and health of all our employees while conforming with the Stay at Home orders of the state government. Second, we have been hard at work developing Bloodlines 2!

These times have introduced us to a whole host of new experiences, emotions and workflows: some good, some bad and some ugly. I figured it may be of interest to describe some of those to you.

First on the good side, full time exclusive WFH has been a pretty massive change for us; we typically favor in person interactions and the natural collaboration that takes place when you get multiple people in the same room together. But, at the same time we have taken this opportunity to become a better employer and developer and have fully embraced it. As a result, we have stood up new processes and workflows to foster and support creative development even when remote. We have updated and improved our back-end infrastructure to more easily support 100+ employees remotely pushing and pulling gigs of data to and from our servers. We are now more capable and flexible towards catering to individual needs by – be it mitigating a terrible commute through Seattle traffic, or working with individual talent outside of Seattle and outside of our time zone. All these things make us nimbler, and more adaptable in an industry that is constantly changing.

The bad part of the whole “never get to go into the office” (other than the Covid19 realities and its consequences) is that we miss out on a lot of what we have strived so hard to create, foster and cultivate at HSL: the positive work environment, the friendly random interactions with your fellow co-workers, and the general social dynamics of having a bunch of incredibly talented and creative people working together towards a common goal, all together in the same space. We, as a species, are without a doubt social creatures (much like our Vampire brethren…) and the day to day human interactions of being in the office can be very beneficial to our mental health. So, there are lots of discussions and considerations around staying healthy (both physically and mentally); trying to balance enough social interaction, while also stepping away from your computer – which may also be the only opportunity for social interaction.

In terms of examples this means that our in-person MTG games are now having to move online. Our tabletop gaming groups and campaigns are being conducted via Teams and even our after-work happy hours are shifting into video chat land where we can sit at our computers and enjoy each other’s company.

As a studio that strives very hard to separate and respect work and life for a healthy work/life balance, and generally frowning on the idea of “bringing your work home with you…” is seriously complicated when your work is unavoidably in, and inseparable from, your home. It can be challenging for the individual: suddenly finding yourself working 12 hour days, or waking up and going straight to your computer; and it can be challenging for the organization: how to support individual’s personal lives and time and ensure they are not overworking or burning out, but still being flexible to support what works best for them, be it working early or late. Disciplined communications, encouraging people to sign off and leave when the workday ends, respecting online status, managing co-worker expectations and more are all important steps we have taken and continue to take to mitigate this. But it is definitely the case that the “bad” of the full-time WFH means that work life balance is precarious and something we need to be ever mindful of.

It looks like the Bloodlines 2 official website has been overhauled, with a new visual theme, screenshots and a community section. It's a sign of a renewed marketing push after over six months of quiet. So maybe it won't be long before we get some new gameplay footage as well.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I haven't been keeping up but I noticed the PS5 platform sigil at the end. So I guess they're hoping that's still a go as well? This covid fucking with a lot of shit. Maybe autobots will be making all the hardware.

...... not enough titties in that trailer nor ass.

Anyway... the trailer reminded me of

"It's a good time to play a great game... WINNER!!
Worlds of Darknesssss
Vampire Bloodlinesssssssssss......

Come play number 2 that's right."

Maybe its a BLOODMOON

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't been keeping up but I noticed the PS5 platform sigil at the end. So I guess they're hoping that's still a go as well? This covid fucking with a lot of shit. Maybe autobots will be making all the hardware.

...... not enough titties in that trailer nor ass.

Anyway... the trailer reminded me of

"It's a good time to play a great game... WINNER!!
Worlds of Darknesssss
Vampire Bloodlinesssssssssss......

Come play number 2 that's right."

Maybe its a BLOODMOON

what does moonman have to do with this
why would you link to that
the fuck is wrong with you

MegaRhettButler

Literate
The trailer left me a bit flat. I mean the aesthetic was that of a corny 80s or 90s horror flick, which isn't really a tone I associate with VtM. That article was irrelevant. I don't care if the developers like their job or not, or how they are coping with the lockdown. It's a bit egotistical to think anyone would care about them as people yet. I don't care if you guys play MtG and laugh together, or work 18 hour days and wear a diaper to work because your bosses scream at you for taking bathroom breaks. As long as the game turns out decent.

All I ask is decent, you can't demand a masterpiece. Those just kind of happen by accident and nobody can really quantify how. But decent? That's reasonable to ask for.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So do i need this
sega-activator.jpg

Or this:
dance_pad_1_001.jpg

And will the game be in VR so i can dance with my headset on?
Dance%21%20VR%20Dance%21-jacket.png

compvet24

Educated
Best case scenario for me now is to just avoid anything about Bloodlines 2, I don't even want to know when it is released. I want to be able to continue to live my life completely unaware that they even attempted to make anything related to the Bloodlines names-sake, as if this """sequel""" never existed. It is the only way I can be happy and content in this world. Maybe 10 years down the line from here my curiosity will pique and I'll check to see how it all went down only to be confronted by a hunkering dumpster fire that has not been viewed or relevant since its week of shame upon release.
I hope I get proved wrong

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom