Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Problems with maps you see too often?

deuxhero

Arcane
Are there any particular issues you notice that publisher made maps regularly fail to address?

The big one I see is a lack of or poor placement of bathrooms. Every Star Wars RPG, be it WEG, Wizards of the Coast, or FFG, has printed maps with no refreshers (despite having beds) or really awkward locations (WEG's YT-2400 map, which has the single bathroom for the 3 crew and 6 passengers on the opposite end of the ship from the cockpit and pilot's bedroom and only accessible by going through the kitchen, comes to mind).

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Certain publishers still not having PDF maps is a crime against humanity.

nyjsu

Educated
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Besides most of them being completely unusable at the table? I'd rather take some vague point-crawl map than a "detailed" WotC map which is printed on the corner of the page so you can't see shit.

More publishers should include the dungeon map with room numbers and short notes in the first page spread. TotSK is a decent example.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Medieval-esque towns or cities built on a grid, or with ridiculously wide streets. Definitely made in Murrica.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Besides most of them being completely unusable at the table? I'd rather take some vague point-crawl map than a "detailed" WotC map which is printed on the corner of the page so you can't see shit.

More publishers should include the dungeon map with room numbers and short notes in the first page spread. TotSK is a decent example.

Curse of Strahd had some beautifully illustrated maps, until you got to the ones that were isometric—and they were the maps of Castle Ravenloft, i.e. the most important maps in the entire bloody game. That, and the insane pathways, just really pissed me off and I was so glad when I was done with it.

deuxhero

Arcane
Medieval-esque towns or cities built on a grid, or with ridiculously wide streets. Definitely made in Murrica.

You think sensible city layout is a 19th century invention or something?
ynr2yu.jpg

uaecx7.jpg

vrin14.jpg

No, this isn't just some shitting that Nippon is glorious.
Bologna, Italy
cjv30a.jpg

Bern 1550
zuakks.jpg

Rome 1569 (Which, I remind you, is one of, if not the, oldest constantly populated cities in the world)
8db24g.jpg
So yeah, it's not too unusual unless you're a filthy Londoner or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom