Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SaGa Series Discussion

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Worst part of Last Remnant by far is component hunting. Those damn magazines... I don't know how anyone would figure this shit out without a guide.

The guild quests are fine since most of them you'll get incidentally through normal gameplay EXCEPT the 'make specific weapon' tasks (super expensive and pointless without the right teammate) and the rare hunts that only show up 1/100 visits to zone. The game is nice and gives you credit for monster kills even before the quests are active but NOT for component/item hunts, so now I gotta find another Glasya Labolas Larynx and Inverted Terrapest Barb because all the others got used up in item crafting. Grr. Overall it's just pointless padding and time-wasting.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I greatly enjoyed the game, but as you said, it is not without some frustrating faults. On Xbox 360, I got all achievements but one. There was a monster that refused to spawn. I entered and exited the area over 40 times and nothing. I said "Fuck it", and moved on. I'd kill for a sequel that fixes some issues.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I greatly enjoyed the game, but as you said, it is not without some frustrating faults. On Xbox 360, I got all achievements but one. There was a monster that refused to spawn. I entered and exited the area over 40 times and nothing. I said "Fuck it", and moved on. I'd kill for a sequel that fixes some issues.

My condolences.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Worst part of Last Remnant by far is component hunting. Those damn magazines... I don't know how anyone would figure this shit out without a guide.

The guild quests are fine since most of them you'll get incidentally through normal gameplay EXCEPT the 'make specific weapon' tasks (super expensive and pointless without the right teammate) and the rare hunts that only show up 1/100 visits to zone. The game is nice and gives you credit for monster kills even before the quests are active but NOT for component/item hunts, so now I gotta find another Glasya Labolas Larynx and Inverted Terrapest Barb because all the others got used up in item crafting. Grr. Overall it's just pointless padding and time-wasting.
There are times when you know you need a component that drops from a particular monster, so you go to some area to kill it. But wait! It may drop from that monster, but it doesn't drop from that monster in that area on that particular spawn phase! So the hour you spent grinding that monster was for nothing - you have to kill them in another area entirely. There's no way to know this stuff unless you have a guide, and it's truly awful, by far the worst thing in the game. I wish it could be modded or changed entirely in a sequel, but that will never happen!

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Finished The Last Remnant after about 1 billion hours (the game doesn't have a time counter anywhere I could see.) Most character's main stats were in the 150-200 range and everyone had their final weapons. Took forever and probably wasn't worth it, I breezed through True Conqueror and all the DLC bosses, but dammit I wanted those weapon arts.

Only trophy I didn't get was the one for disassembling 300 weapons. You have to do each one at a time, taking a few seconds and a bunch of button presses. I think I did maybe 5 over the whole game. Ack. I'm not a trophyfag normally but when I'm only one away from a plat.... hmm.

Hyperion

Arcane
Only trophy I didn't get was the one for disassembling 300 weapons. You have to do each one at a time, taking a few seconds and a bunch of button presses. I think I did maybe 5 over the whole game. Ack. I'm not a trophyfag normally but when I'm only one away from a plat.... hmm.
Hah yeah, I'm in the same boat but I said fuck it and gave up. All of the trophies are surprisingly easy to get if you go for a complete playthrough, then they throw that one in your face and it's just entirely impractical, and worthless.

Beat it twice fairly quickly. Once with Ordainer Rush with a Shielding Bluesteel + Shield of the Vanquisher, and once with Rush as a Gladiator with the Frostblade. Honestly think I prefer the latter, Snowblind is extremely useful (don't need to have David a leader), plus Victory Sweep was critting for 6 digits. Killed Enlightened Conqueror in 3 turns. Felt real fuckin good.

I went back to Scarlet Grace, have beaten Balmante, Leo, and am about to clear Taria. Next up is Urpina, then I'll see if I'm up for a final Leo run that aims for all 20 Uber Scarlet Fiends, and the Uber Firebringer.

Trying to decide who I want my main characters to be. Right now, Leo and Bal are my 2 tanks, the former using a Greatsword, while Bal will Dual Wield. I'll probably use Lissa with either Shortsword, or Bow, and Arthur using the other. After that I'm not entirely sure...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The GameBoy Final Fantasy Legend trilogy AKA the original SaGa trilogy is coming to Switch on December 15th: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/collection-of-saga-final-fantasy-legend-switch/

500iPoi.jpg
C54TEVh.jpg
j9gQh6Z.jpg

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres..._FINAL_FANTASY_LEGEND_FOR_NINTENDO_SWITCH.php

GET READY FOR THE SAGA OF A LIFETIME IN ‘COLLECTION OF SAGA FINAL FANTASY LEGEND’ FOR NINTENDO SWITCH

LOS ANGELES (Aug. 26, 2020) – To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the SaGa series, SQUARE ENIX®, today announced COLLECTION of SaGa FINAL FANTASY LEGEND™ will arrive on the Nintendo Switch™ system on December 15, 2020. In one digital collection, players can experience the first three titles in the revered SaGa series - THE FINAL FANTASY LEGEND, FINAL FANTASY LEGEND II, and FINAL FANTASY LEGEND III. Created by Akitoshi Kawazu and originally released on Game Boy™ in 1989, long-time fans will enjoy a faithful recreation of these classic 8-bit titles in this nostalgic, pioneering adventure.

COLLECTION of SaGa FINAL FANTASY LEGEND is a great introduction to this quintessential series RPG fans won’t want to miss as they journey through fantasy worlds, fight monsters, explore towns, battle dungeons, and more while enjoying brand new features that improve the experience including:
  • Character speed boost
  • Adjustable screen magnification
  • Retro display mode to replicate that glorious Game Boy experience
  • New commemorative music and illustrations
Additional features include: a special anniversary song, 8 different in-game wallpapers and the choice to play with either Japanese or English text. The Final Fantasy Legend was the very first RPG created for Game Boy and to honor this, players can detach the Joy-Con™ controllers and hold the console vertically, using the onscreen buttons to replicate the authentic Game Boy system-like experience.

COLLECTION of SaGa FINAL FANTASY LEGEND is rated E10+ (Everyone 10+) and will be available on Nintendo Switch digitally only starting December 15, 2020. The game will be available to pre-purchase from the Nintendo e-Shop later today.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Romancing Saga 3 is 58% off. This is extremely rare occasion that Square Enix discounts a Japanese game more than 50%.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I know this is posted on JRPG thread but think this is more appropriate.

The 1998 PlayStation classic is back: SaGa Frontier is being remastered for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Steam, iOS, and Android—launching in summer 2021!

The team of eight have returned—now with Fuse added as a playable character!

Choose your favorite character and embark on your own unique journey.

Each of the eight characters have different goals and endings. Your choices will affect how events unfold using the Free-Form Scenario System. This in-depth system will allow you to manipulate and expand a story all your own.

Challenge yourself in nail-biting battles by using “glimmer” as well as learning new skills such as the ability to fire consecutive special attacks from multiple team members

With beautiful graphics, as well as the addition of new events and features, SaGa Frontier Remastered is an experience not to be missed!

Also Gematsu's translation of the features: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/11/saga-frontier-remastered-announced-for-ps4-switch-pc-ios-and-android

• Eighth Playable Character Fuse Added – A story for new protagonist Fuse has been added. This can be unlocked by clearing the stories of the other seven protagonists. The story is handled by SaGa series general director Akitoshi Kawazu and game writer / novelist Benny Matsuyama, with new music by composer Kenji Ito.
    • Fuse is a member of IRPO, the Regions’ organization for the maintenance of public order. His real name is Lostar, but he was given the nickname “Crazy Fuse” because of the way he goes out of control when he loses his temper. Although known for his problematic behavior, he has a strong sense of duty as a patrolman and his natural perception and decisiveness have given him a high rate of criminal arrests. Even today, he is investigating incidents throughout the Regions.
  • Missing Events Implemented – There were some events in Asellus’ story that were not implemented in the original release. By implementing those events, you can get enjoy Asellus’ story to the fullest extent.
  • Remastered with Beautiful Graphics and Useful Features – The game’s image remains unchanged, but the graphics quality has been enhanced. Characters, backgrounds, and monsters have all been made in high-resolution, and menus have been revamped to be more user-friendly. Quality-of-life features like 2x speed have also been added.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The SaGa mobile gacha game is doing well. It's funny that it helped the series. I don't care what's causing the resurgence. I'm embracing it.

I actually tried the gacha game, but I hate all of them. Can't stand them at all.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The SaGa mobile gacha game is doing well. It's funny that it helped the series. I don't care what's causing the resurgence. I'm embracing it.

I actually tried the gacha game, but I hate all of them. Can't stand them at all.
I think they've proved to be helpful at times, sometimes they make things worse but usually it just renews interest in an IP. Granblue is a good example of how a company can use whale money and put it back into the industry with real games.

deuxhero

Arcane
I look forward to game "journalists" reeeing about Asellus' story.

Wonder if the art is based on actual art before the sprites were made. It reminds me of some SquareSoft promo art.

Derringer

Prophet
Didn't think that they'd bother putting in the effort to actually fix some of the content that was blatantly missing instead of just doing a throwaway digital re-release.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I know this is posted on JRPG thread but think this is more appropriate.

The 1998 PlayStation classic is back: SaGa Frontier is being remastered for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Steam, iOS, and Android—launching in summer 2021!

The team of eight have returned—now with Fuse added as a playable character!

Choose your favorite character and embark on your own unique journey.

Each of the eight characters have different goals and endings. Your choices will affect how events unfold using the Free-Form Scenario System. This in-depth system will allow you to manipulate and expand a story all your own.

Challenge yourself in nail-biting battles by using “glimmer” as well as learning new skills such as the ability to fire consecutive special attacks from multiple team members

With beautiful graphics, as well as the addition of new events and features, SaGa Frontier Remastered is an experience not to be missed!

Also Gematsu's translation of the features: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/11/saga-frontier-remastered-announced-for-ps4-switch-pc-ios-and-android

• Eighth Playable Character Fuse Added – A story for new protagonist Fuse has been added. This can be unlocked by clearing the stories of the other seven protagonists. The story is handled by SaGa series general director Akitoshi Kawazu and game writer / novelist Benny Matsuyama, with new music by composer Kenji Ito.
    • Fuse is a member of IRPO, the Regions’ organization for the maintenance of public order. His real name is Lostar, but he was given the nickname “Crazy Fuse” because of the way he goes out of control when he loses his temper. Although known for his problematic behavior, he has a strong sense of duty as a patrolman and his natural perception and decisiveness have given him a high rate of criminal arrests. Even today, he is investigating incidents throughout the Regions.
  • Missing Events Implemented – There were some events in Asellus’ story that were not implemented in the original release. By implementing those events, you can get enjoy Asellus’ story to the fullest extent.
  • Remastered with Beautiful Graphics and Useful Features – The game’s image remains unchanged, but the graphics quality has been enhanced. Characters, backgrounds, and monsters have all been made in high-resolution, and menus have been revamped to be more user-friendly. Quality-of-life features like 2x speed have also been added.

I was wondering why this was on the side. Holy shit, that's amazing. Ridiculously underrated game. Probably the best jRPG I've ever played.

Wonder if the art is based on actual art before the sprites were made. It reminds me of some SquareSoft promo art.

I've not played Saga Frontier since like High School, maybe. What about her story do you mean? IIRC, they thought she was a boy at first, but Rose sees her naked. FML, I barely remember it. Is that what you mean?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Didn't think that they'd bother putting in the effort to actually fix some of the content that was blatantly missing instead of just doing a throwaway digital re-release.
I wonder if they will fix Blue's ending. I've read they didn't have time to really hash it out even though he's kind of the definitive Saga Frontier character, imo.

deuxhero

Arcane

I've not played Saga Frontier since like High School, maybe. What about her story do you mean? IIRC, they thought she was a boy at first, but Rose sees her naked. FML, I barely remember it. Is that what you mean?

The mystic blood transfusion turns her into a reluctant lesbian.
This is to the point the full human ending has her marry a guy (though it's done purely as a ending slide), the half-mystic one heavily implies she's into girls and the full mystic has her conquer the world to make a harem full of girls.

Derringer

Prophet
I wonder if they will fix Blue's ending. I've read they didn't have time to really hash it out even though he's kind of the definitive Saga Frontier character, imo.
Blue's ending is really sad since you don't expect it to just end mid-final boss battle, permanently fucked in limbo fighting off devils.

deuxhero

Arcane

Short video for Fuse. It also gives a clear view of some backgrounds if anyone wants to make some comparison shots. Note the messages saying there's not actually any VA in game.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Blue's ending isn't bugged or unfinished.

https://lparchive.org/SaGa-Frontier/chapter16.html

The Essense of SaGa Frontier, the giant moon language book I've referred to a few times, gives some insight to this situation. It states that Rouge received the gift for Space Magic, though he somehow got it without killing Kylin. It also states that Rouge is the true victor of the duel between the "brothers." Based on this, and also how Rouge will join pretty much any team looking for magic, whereas Blue yells at people if he dislikes their name, we can speculate that Rouge is actually the good side of the personality, making Blue the evil twin (minus a goatee). When Rouge returns to the Magic Kingdom to find it wrecked, he heads into hell alone, forcing his friends to stay behind for their safety. It turns out that long ago the Magic Kingdom sealed away the demons, but knew the seal would someday break. Thus the plan to make a wizard who could control all spells was conceived. Blue/Rouge was that plan, and it was a success. However, could Rouge could actually beat Hell's Lord? Apparently the remaining wizards of the Magic Kingdom weren't interested in taking any chances. When Hell's Lord was busy fighting Rouge, the wizards sealed away Hell, freezing it in time. Hence the sudden end to the battle. Essence goes on to state that Rouge eventually breaks free of the seal, led by the cries of his friends..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom