Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games like Fire Emblem but less weaboo

• Thread starter Lilliput McHammersmith
  • Start date

TigerKnee

Arcane
For the entire FE series?

Fates (Conquest Only), Heroes of Light and Shadow, Thracia 776 (warning, very high difficulty).

The Wii ones are OK.

Genealogy has the best story.

deuxhero

Arcane
Interesting, so what game is the best? I don't have a Switch so I can't play Three Houses

Preferably something a bit modern

Play the 7th one (released as just Fire Emblem in the west). It has a mandatory tutorial the first playthrough (though there's a romhack to kill it) and is considered both one of the best in the series and the most beginner friendly even aside from the tutorial. Aside from the pair of archers, which suck in almost every game of the series, and maybe the fighters, most units that join before the endgame are at least decent (contrast with say... 6 where half the cast is garbage and another quarter can be RNG screwed into being awful). It has all the mechanics people think of as standard (even the self insert MC, but done in a way that's actually fine).

TigerKnee

Arcane
FE7 is a good beginner's game but it doesn't particularly stand out after that unless you really like the GBA artstyle.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Interesting, so what game is the best? I don't have a Switch so I can't play Three Houses

Preferably something a bit modern
5, 6, 7, 12. Especially higher difficulties and for rank.

GC and Wii one are apparently OK. Haven't played them.

4 is very cool but very flawed. To have fun playing it for rank you need to avoid the arena. Also the levels are too big. Shame.

Tigranes

Arcane
Fates: Conquest is worth playing - just skip all dialogue instantly and play the fights.

If you're asking about the series as a whole: the GBA ones are a really nice entry and quite good. The "best" and people will usually say Genealogy / Thracia.

Basically Licorice is right. And yes they are all far better than Awakening, which is not worth playing.

v1rus

Arcane
Lots of great JRPG stuff was already recommended. Shining Force 2, Ogre Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance aint bad either, but its quite anime (of more tolerable "children fairytale" variety imho. Shining Force 3 was also good, there are fan translations around the net. Its also kinda animu, but of a more old school vibe.

But curiously, noone has mentioned Banner Saga yet. I only played the first one, combat is the exact formula, good plot, heavy c&c with save games transferring from game one to three. Should really sit down and do a full playthrough these days.

da_rays

Augur
Maybe a bit less FE , but you should take a look at Voidspire tactic , Alvora tactics and Horizons gates. Thoses 3 games are from the same guy.
If you can tolerate the pixel graphics , they are all decent tactical rpg

Vorark

Erudite
Any pre-Awakening Fire Emblem is less weeb and worth checking out.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Vestaria Saga is on the pc and made by the guy that developed the older fire emblem games. I liked it quite a bit.

Man, I think this is precisely what I’m looking for. Thanks! I know what my next Steam purchase is!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom