Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sharpedge

Prophet
Fuck, Warriors with 3 slots were completelly fuck, and Fighter's Dragon's Maw was so ridicolous strong you could spam it non-stop, eat some mushrooms, repeat, and you fucking win the game.

I strongly agree. Sorcerers that uses only one weapon(archistaff) can have 6 skills. My point was not to compare DD warriors to magick archers, but to compare a magick archer skill usefulness depending the situation.
DD is a very poor example of balance. I really enjoyed the "feel" of the combat in that game, the classes were very distinct in how each of them played, but within each class, a specific subset of powers were clearly superior to others. Easy examples from the classes I actually bothered to play:

• Mystic Knight - Great Cannon + Holy Counter.
  • Ranger - Tenfold Arrow.
  • Strider - Hailstorm Volley (large enemies) or Fivefold Arrow (small enemies).
  • Sorcerer - Holy Focused Bolt.
  • Magick Archers - Ninefold Bolt.
Sure, sorcerer had a lot of fun spells like Maelstrom or Bolide, but in most cases simply spamming Holy Bolt would be more effective. There is a reason why if you google, "dragons dogma fastest boss kill of insert_boss_name" the same skills are used over and over again. The same is true in each of these cases.

This on the other hand is a far more interesting topic, development of new magic systems which currently don't exist on games. I have thought about the mana system before and I think one that could be interesting would be a modified version that functions similarly to the spirit eater curse in MotB. The more mana a spell costs to cast, the greater it increases your "addiction" to mana, which decreases some meter and inflicts some penalties. This incentivizes a player to use magic more sparingly and not not just spam magic all the time. It also solves the problem of rest spamming (because resting will further the addiction) and it allows for powerful magic to exist, as you could have powerful spells which greatly increase the addiction and cause heavy player penalties for casting them.

Interesting idea but the problem is that the players could easily fuck themselves over by abusing magic when they are new at the game which would then come to bite them in the ass later. Perhaps players should be able to periodically permanently reduce or reset their mana addiction. For example players get super-addicted to magic which cripples their character, then find an item that lets them reset and learn to be more careful in the future.
The other dowside is that the mechanics would be hated by normies everywhere like the original MoTB curse. They can understand concepts like "you can't cast this spell because you don't have enough points" but "don't cast this spell over and over, you will regret it in 2 hours" is much more difficult to comprehend.
I agree, I don't think it is ever likely a system similar to this will be implemented in a mainstream game, which is sad however hopefully in some niche title we could see something similar to this despite the (obvious) criticism it would cause.

I have thought about the mana system before and I think one that could be interesting would be a modified version that functions similarly to the spirit eater curse in MotB. The more mana a spell costs to cast, the greater it increases your "addiction" to mana, which decreases some meter and inflicts some penalties. This incentivizes a player to use magic more sparingly and not not just spam magic all the time. It also solves the problem of rest spamming (because resting will further the addiction) and it allows for powerful magic to exist, as you could have powerful spells which greatly increase the addiction and cause heavy player penalties for casting them.

I know a game with something similar to this. The jrpg Breath of Fire V: Dragon's Quarter has the D-system. The protagonist has the power of adopting a draconian form, which is a "I win" button. Like, literally, there is not a single enemy than can kill you once you transform and you can 1-hit anything, even bosses. The problem is, it increases you D-counter when you use it. The D-counter is always increasing through the game, functioning as a sort of time limit, and transforming makes it go even faster. And once it reaches 100%, you are killed and forced to restart the game. You are also pitted against enemies far more powerful than you (party level 30 against level 80+ bosses), so the game forces you to be smart to avoid using the transformation, but will try to temp you in doing so. Saves are limited, objects are limited, and fights are limited too, so you cannot grind. To gain more experience you have to fight big groups of enemies at the same time, but it is of course more risky, and dying means starting over from the beginning. Is quite an interesting game, but it failed because it was too different from others Breath of Fire and the time limit and resets weren't liked by many.
I will have to take a look at that. Sounds like something I would be interested in playing.

Last edited:
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Why would an arbitrary magic law apply in Sigil were Mystra explicitly cannot impose her will as well as other DnD worlds

Amazing point. I never played a campaign in that setting. But the book is a interesting reading to understand the story behind many spells... The Feyworld is abandoned by the Gods. Right? So, can i use Karsus Avatar in Feyworld?

That depends on a specific DM I think. If someone decides to add this to the game he can just let players use it wherever they want and just tell them that Mystra changed her mind or something. It's not just the official devs don't change the rules according to their needs. I'm currently reading through all basic Forgotten Realms campaign settings. King of Cormyr Azoun IV was a Cavalier before the Time of Troubles, after that he became a fighter. What happened? They've realized that Cavalier is a shitty class and cut it from the game between the first and second editions of ADnD.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lore and mechanics should be consistent, but lore should never refer to purely mechanical

You are 100% right. Nobody is asking for GURPS style ultra detailed rules, like one book chapter only to rule about walking in frozen lakes... If we decide to go full simulation, we need rules about fire/acid/cold/wathever effects affecting armor. Which one is the best representation of Avada Kedavra on Harry Potter?

A ) A skill where every wizard from lv X learns, deals 500% of the size and sharpness of wizard damage and has 3 minute cooldown

B ) Like Finger of Death on D&D 3.5e.

"but saves, there are no way to resist it on HP", for human wizards which has low FORT save. There are no evidence that powerful magical creatures like dragons can't resist the spell https://www.reddit.com/r/harrypotter/comments/3glljz/could_avada_kedavra_kill_a_dragon/

Silly Germans

If all spells require the same "fuel" you will most likely end up with using the same spell all the time, the best spell in its respective category.
There would be no incentive to use other spells. Cooldowns are an easy way to avoid that and help to differentiate spells further.

The answer to that problem would be to have the spells different enough to be useful in different situation. If I have 3 damage spells, one dealing 50 dmg, the other 30 and the last one 15 then I don't see how forcing me to circle through them makes the game more interesting.
Just like i reduced mana systems to its worst outcome, you are reducing cooldown mechanics to their worst outcome, i.e. causing simple cycling.
I agree that in this case nothing is won, but cooldowns can interplay with the dynamics of the battle. If it is well designed it might not be
the best option to cycle through them nonstop but to consider when you should use them and what you are risking if you put your best spell
on cooldown right now. Cooldowns and Mana aren't even opposites and can be used together.

But if you wait for the perfect moment to use a given spell you risk a situation where you could use that spell and have it restored by the time you needed it. For example you put-away using charge which has 2-turn cooldown for 5 turns waiting for a good opportunity only to realize that you've wasted on charge by being indecisive. Which is why people end-up cycling through their best abilities.
If your goal is to make players hesitate before shooting away all their best spells then the old vancian system or limiting their per-encounter use is better.

I don't play PnP but the games that come to mind (BG, IWD, NWN, PoE) did a poor job at making you hesitant at using your spells. You can most of the time
blow away your best spells in each encounter since resting is often possible in between. Instead of cycling you get a single iteration from top to bottom.
I have replayed BG2 with SCS and Ascension not to long ago and at higher levels you have so many spells and HLA's that fights are over before you can even
empty your lvl 8 and lvl9 spell slots.
I don't think that a Vancian/slot system is inherently better than a cooldown system. Both can be used as tools to design good combat mechanics,
they don't exclude each other and could be used together.

DraQ

Arcane
Lore and mechanics should be consistent, but lore should never refer to purely mechanical

You are 100% right. Nobody is asking for GURPS style ultra detailed rules, like one book chapter only to rule about walking in frozen lakes... If we decide to go full simulation, we need rules about fire/acid/cold/wathever effects affecting armor. Which one is the best representation of Avada Kedavra on Harry Potter?

A ) A skill where every wizard from lv X learns, deals 500% of the size and sharpness of wizard damage and has 3 minute cooldown

B ) Like Finger of Death on D&D 3.5e.

"but saves, there are no way to resist it on HP", for human wizards which has low FORT save. There are no evidence that powerful magical creatures like dragons can't resist the spell https://www.reddit.com/r/harrypotter/comments/3glljz/could_avada_kedavra_kill_a_dragon/
Dunno, I don't into children books.
:smug:
I don't think that a Vancian/slot system is inherently better than a cooldown system. Both can be used as tools to design good combat mechanics,
Vancian system is inherently better than cooldown system, and that should tell you something as I consider Vancian to be pretty crap overall.

Last edited:
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
If all spells require the same "fuel" you will most likely end up with using the same spell all the time, the best spell in its respective category.
There would be no incentive to use other spells. Cooldowns are an easy way to avoid that and help to differentiate spells further.

The answer to that problem would be to have the spells different enough to be useful in different situation. If I have 3 damage spells, one dealing 50 dmg, the other 30 and the last one 15 then I don't see how forcing me to circle through them makes the game more interesting.
Just like i reduced mana systems to its worst outcome, you are reducing cooldown mechanics to their worst outcome, i.e. causing simple cycling.
I agree that in this case nothing is won, but cooldowns can interplay with the dynamics of the battle. If it is well designed it might not be
the best option to cycle through them nonstop but to consider when you should use them and what you are risking if you put your best spell
on cooldown right now. Cooldowns and Mana aren't even opposites and can be used together.

But if you wait for the perfect moment to use a given spell you risk a situation where you could use that spell and have it restored by the time you needed it. For example you put-away using charge which has 2-turn cooldown for 5 turns waiting for a good opportunity only to realize that you've wasted on charge by being indecisive. Which is why people end-up cycling through their best abilities.
If your goal is to make players hesitate before shooting away all their best spells then the old vancian system or limiting their per-encounter use is better.

I don't play PnP but the games that come to mind (BG, IWD, NWN, PoE) did a poor job at making you hesitant at using your spells. You can most of the time
blow away your best spells in each encounter since resting is often possible in between. Instead of cycling you get a single iteration from top to bottom.
I have replayed BG2 with SCS and Ascension not to long ago and at higher levels you have so many spells and HLA's that fights are over before you can even
empty your lvl 8 and lvl9 spell slots.

But that's more of a problem with higher level DnD spells giving you too many spell slots and letting you rest too often, and also adding too many samey spells. Making player hesitant about using his most powerful spells right away can be done using mana by simply making powerful spells cost significantly more mana, and making the fights varied enough to not make players want to use the same spell over and over again instead of forcing him not to. Wizardry 8 managed to do that pretty well.

Also I think there is something wrong with the device you are using to post because the way the lines are broken in your post is kinda weird.

The solution to how conserved spell casting is, is quite simple. Give players their 2nd Edition awesome spells. Let them cast them as much as they want. Place an appropriate drawback proportionate to the value of the spell. I have a homebrew RPG where consequences range from the spell merely fizzling, to violently detonating the caster, and much much more. Gives the player freedom, no resting drudgery, but enforces discipline to bring force proportionate to the challenge. It also introduces lots of fun mechanics, as well as giving a rational reason why the world isn't awash in "easy-button Harry Potter grade" magic. Mundane skills also become a lot more practical. Do you cast 'Knock' on that lock when it could possibly make your entire party go insane, or do you break out the lockpick tools?

Harthwain

Magister
The "core" of an RPG is a band of adventurers traveling together

Wrong. The core of a RPG is role playing.
Not in video game adaptations. There are 2 (3) RPGs in existence which focus on roleplaying - AoD and Fallout (and 2).
Indeed. In most cRPGs player takes on the role of murderhobo and combat is the main part of the game. This is why some are confused by games like Disco Elysium, where there is very little combat present and it isn't done as its own separate mechanic.

Funnily enough, Larian tries to encourage roleplaying by increasing the player's ability to interact with the world, so even though their games are still mostly about killing enemies, they do feel a bit more RPGy in that sense. I wish more cRPGs focused on interactions (and before someone screams - I consider combat as an interaction, I just not see the need for it to be a dominant one).

That only means something in your combat system is shit (usually due to bloat) and you are using cooldowns as bandaid for that.
I don't see much difference between "cast X times per rest", "cast X times per encounter", a cooldown and something like mana you replenish by resting/drinking mixtures. It's all amounts to the same: restricting you from using certain abilities/spells too much in too short window of time. Or do you mean to say that cooldowns are the least restrictive, therefore they are the lamest resolution for restricting the overuse of certain spells/abilities?

Silly Germans

Magic of BG1/2 was fun since there were a ton of spells and a ton of effects. And it didn't shy away from save or die spells.
Being Vancian is in my opinion the least important reason why mages/magic was great in those games. Similarly, cooldowns
neither make or break your magic system unless you go full retard with them. I don't get why people focus on this aspect
although it says almost nothing about the quality of the magic system.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Cooldowns encourage rotations which make for repetitive gameplay. The Vancian system only makes sense when resting is limited.

Parabalus

Arcane
The Vancian system only makes sense when resting is limited.

Limited resting only makes sense when there are both local (supplies) and global (time-limit) restrictions, otherwise you might as well be rid of them.

PF:KM did resting right, but it's a rare exception.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cooldowns encourage rotations which make for repetitive gameplay. The Vancian system only makes sense when resting is limited.
The Vancian system also encourages repetitive gameplay unless you can get intel on what you are facing. Otherwise, you end up always loading the same generic purpose spells.
That is why I think sorcerers work best, unless the game provides a better way to know what's ahead than reading an online guide or reloading your game.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Larian won't be able to limit rests in any sensible way. They need to appeal to a large crowd of casual players who can't be bothered to plan ahead and play an "hidden" resources management minigame. It would be an incredible risk.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Larian won't be able to limit rests in any sensible way. They need to appeal to a large crowd of casual players who can't be bothered to plan ahead and play an "hidden" resources management minigame. It would be an incredible risk.
Probably. But since we can only rest in the camp they've shown, they might flash a "camping here is dangerous" in dungeons. That doesn't mean you won't be able to exit the dungeon and rest then.

The Vancian system also encourages repetitive gameplay unless you can get intel on what you are facing. Otherwise, you end up always loading the same generic purpose spells.
I've never caught myself using the same things in the IE games constantly. PoE yes, but that's because 90% of the spells were useless.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From what they've shown so far, resting and camping seems to be central to the gameplay so I'm curious to see how they will implement it

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Vancian system only makes sense when resting is limited.

Limited resting only makes sense when there are both local (supplies) and global (time-limit) restrictions, otherwise you might as well be rid of them.

PF:KM did resting right, but it's a rare exception.
Kingmaker resting is a perfect example to summarize the entire game: it works great, but it's plagued by appalling and time-wasting mechanics and interfaces.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Probably. But since we can only rest in the camp they've shown, they might flash a "camping here is dangerous" in dungeons. That doesn't mean you won't be able to exit the dungeon and rest then.

Didn't they say that spells are going to be per encounter?

user

Savant

Didn't they say that spells are going to be per encounter?

Did they? Is it gonna be another of those "pure DnD" games, streamlining "unneeded", "time-wasting" mechanics?

Lacrymas

Arcane
What they said is that every space of time outside of combat is considered a short rest, so those spells/abilities which require a short rest will be replenished after combat. Long rests is the camping thing.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What they said is that every space of time outside of combat is considered a short rest,

So warlock spells will gonna be per encounter...

Mainly due lv cap = 10. Warlocks can regain spells up to tier 5 in a short rest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom