Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (AKA AoE2 HD HD)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What's that?

Anyone watched the Hidden Cup 3, that just ended? 16 best AOE2 players competing under pseudonyms and people guessing who's who. Had over 50k viewers on twitch at some point. All the matches are on yt, in the t90official channel.
Oh and if you want to see the current and pretty much for the last decade or more undisputed nr1 play aoe2, channel name is TheViperAOC, really chill norwegian dude with mad skills.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I just want to confirm that AoE2: DE works on Win 7. At least it works for me. But there's an issue I hadn't noticed when I watched other people play it. Without the enhanced graphics pack, the unit models are noticeably blurry. And if there's anything I hate about graphics, that's blurriness. I can take ASCII graphics no problem, but I get an allergic reaction to blurriness.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Anyone watched the Hidden Cup 3, that just ended? 16 best AOE2 players competing under pseudonyms and people guessing who's who. Had over 50k viewers on twitch at some point. All the matches are on yt, in the t90official channel.
Oh and if you want to see the current and pretty much for the last decade or more undisputed nr1 play aoe2, channel name is TheViperAOC, really chill norwegian dude with mad skills.

I actually did see some of this and it made me wish AOEII was even more popular. The gameplay and strats they were deploying were very entertaining. And the commentators were doing a good job, too.

Bawagan

Novice
Is anyone having problems launching Age of Empires 2 Definitve Edition through Game Pass? All I get is a splash screen for two seconds and that's it. Seems like this problem has been present for a long time but still no fix :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I really dislike how they are overfocusing on multi.

What's the Kodex Kritical Konsensus a year in? Better to play this than the HD edition?
Ahhh for campaigns it is fine,even if tho many are using cheap tricks to make them harder,like infinite resources or you losing if some computer AI dies. I have noticed that the pathfinding is pretty shit because of the formation moving and units being too big and unable to get past each other.

Deleted member 7219

What's the Kodex Kritical Konsensus a year in? Better to play this than the HD edition?
Ahhh for campaigns it is fine,even if tho many are using cheap tricks to make them harder,like infinite resources or you losing if some computer AI dies. I have noticed that the pathfinding is pretty shit because of the formation moving and units being too big and unable to get past each other.

Sounds like I'm better off sticking with the HD edition. Pathfinding has always been a problem in AoE games and it doesn't sound like they've done anything better in DE.

Shrimp

Arbiter
If you're interesteed in multiplayer you should migrate since it actually runs on stable servers, but if you just want to play the single player campaigns and don't care about the graphics then there isn't really a reason to buy the game again.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Before DE I haven't played AOE2 since I was like 10, and I remember that campaigns used to be harder, but a lot of the changes were introduced in HD already(internet talks about HP regen for hero units for instace) and then there are times where I just may remember wrong. In skirmishes AI has gotten massive improvements(you can still select the old AI and yeah the difference is gigantic). People talk about pathfinding but I looking at old videos etc.(I don't remember how it used to be), 20% of it is real, 20% was fixed in patch like 5 months ago and 60% of it are better pings that make micro with ranged units so much easier.

Obviously if you want to play multiplayer, then there isn't much choice.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
There's absolutely no reason not to switch to DE, unless you really dislike the new look (it's very OK imo) or are some ridiculous tryhard who hates qol features. It's frequently on a proper discount so just grab it then.

Shrimp

Arbiter
There's absolutely no reason not to switch to DE, unless you really dislike the new look (it's very OK imo) or are some ridiculous tryhard who hates qol features. It's frequently on a proper discount so just grab it then.
If your main interest is playing the campaigns present in both versions then it all comes down to whether or not you're willing to pay for the same game but with a graphical upgrade.
I can't really blame people for not wanting to buy the same game a second time, or third if they also have the original version(s) from before Steam.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sounds like I'm better off sticking with the HD edition. Pathfinding has always been a problem in AoE games and it doesn't sound like they've done anything better in DE.
To be honest,to me it looks like the pathfinding is even worst than before.

Doesn't DE have a new set of campaigns though??????
Yeah,and they even fixed the forgotten campaign. For campaign binge is ok,currently i am doing it while listening to ghost/horror stories on youtube.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

I like it - probably the best remaster of an old game that I have played. I've played some online games with friends and a few ranked matches earlier in the year.

I don't really do the campaigns (did them when I was a kid) I mostly just play multiplayer

Cael

Arcane

Don't be a Jones. Stick to the original.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I like it - probably the best remaster of an old game that I have played.
I don't think that's debatable, really. Although it's obviously not a big competition, when the only other remaster that's not highly controversial and/or obviously low effort is the C&C one.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I think there's a new difficulty level for the campaigns that utilizes the new AI? Pathfinding in AoE2 is one of the best in any strategy game ever, that's one of the reasons it's popular, so I don't tetht eh Pathfinding criticism. What are you comparing it to? Blizzard RTSes?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

On November 14th, Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition celebrated its first birthday, and you're invited to the party! We've prepared a huge pile of birthday-themed unlocks and profile icons to commemorate the event. All of these goodies are unlockable as part of the NOVEMBER ANNIVERSARY EVENT!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Cool, I just installed this again. Too bad AoE1: DE doesn't get the same treatment, I like it too even though it has some issues that still need resolving.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah i ma replaying all the campaigns while listening to horror stories on the youtube. Shame that the path finding is that shit. Also I need more expansions!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom