Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - the Jeff Vogel Kickstarter

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since I was involved in the design of that map, I don't like it being compared to Vogel's basic bitch LEGO brick map in such an ignorant way.

Let's make a more fair comparison, where instead of just rough straight line shapes, we trace the map outlines with a more fluid brush.

5OEMMhw.png

XMvmn71.jpg

I included islands and inland seas here. As you can see, the Realms Beyond map has several inland seas. The Queen's Wish map has... exactly zero.

Same with islands. Realms Beyond has several small islands off the shore both in the oceans and in the inland seas/major lakes. Queen's Wish has... one island if you count that little bit off the northwestern edge of The Vol.

Notice the shape of the coastlines. Queen's Wish's map has barely any jaggedness here, it's all straight lines and 90° angles. Realms Beyond has barely any 90° angles, coastlines flow naturally, have indentations, bays, small peninsulas jutting out, etc. Look at the western coast of Jotunheim up there, or the bay to the west of Sabag-Hirar.

Of course, this is just the basic shapes. When we go into detail, we have floodplain deltas, river valleys, mountain ranges, major forests etc, all of which I fail to spot in the Queen's Wish map.

If we cut it down to basic shapes we get something more like this:
IGdFX4L.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is pretty good map,the only gripes i have with it are the mountains next to the sea,such things don't happen in reality. And water parts having too much shit in them,all those monsters,compasses and ships are redundant,maps should be clear and practical. It should have had a single compass and a single monster to mark the beginning of wast unexplored ocean or something. Another nitpick is that a straight as natural trade hub would have been incline,like in real life where most major tradehubs were straights and channels.

That said....lol this map is light years ahead of vogel's four squares of boredom :lol::lol::lol:.

PS: Also it should be noted that vogel's shit is an island,while Jarl's one does have land outside of its borders. Islands are the most lazy shit in fantasy cartography,all the fucks that lack actual imagination end up with one lol.

V_K

Arcane
I don't really have anything more to add to this discussion. Going by reactions to my original post, I'm not hallucinating.
I guess some people just get butthurt into blindness by the mere fact that something they like can be compared to something they don't.

xuerebx

Erudite
If only the map design was the only inconvenience about this game... To be honest I've never looked at a map in such detail, it's not really something which makes a difference to me. Although I have to admit Queen's Wish map is very bland.

Since I was involved in the design of that map, I don't like it being compared to Vogel's basic bitch LEGO brick map in such an ignorant way.

Nice! Any other games you worked on?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And water parts having too much shit in them,all those monsters,compasses and ships are redundant,maps should be clear and practical. It should have had a single compass and a single monster to mark the beginning of wast unexplored ocean or something.

Bro

3ef79fcb549aaa050368fc6d1481dc52.jpg
:nocountryforshitposters:
Is that even a real map,or the drawings of some german/scandinavian weirdo? From what i found it is a from 2013 hipster book from some english guy. Some weird shit surviving till modern day doesn't make in to actual map that has been used by people.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is that even a real map,or the drawings of some german/scandinavian weirdo? From what i found it is a from 2013 hipster book from some english guy. Some weird shit surviving till modern day doesn't make in to actual map that has been used by people.

It was common for medieval and renaissance maps to have the oceans filled with weird sea monsters.

Those ancients didn't like leaving empty spaces so they filled them with monsters and boats.

Atrachasis

Augur
I am greatly enjoying this discussion of map shapes, but feel that an objective measure by which the realism of fictional video game landmasses may be properly assessed has yet to be determined.

May I propose that, for a start, someone calculate the fractal dimensions of the respective coastlines?

Undoubtedly, the next generation of RPGs will need to take soil erosion processes into account.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
the mountains next to the sea,such things don't happen in reality.

Chile would beg to differ.
Don't know really. I have noticed that in most cases mountains start/end near the shoreline,but don't go along it like in the map. Now looking at that shit...well clearly it is not place on the planet but part of the mass effect planetarial level design :lol::lol::lol:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the issue of Vogel's map, when comparing to the one from Realm Beyond, it's that it reflects a small in-game map (like it would take 5 min to move across the island if there weren't any interruptions), so there wasn't much room to add a detailed coastline, rivers and so on; there are also details that should appear on the map (and appear on the Realm Beyond one), like a bunch of smaller settlements, but don't (when discovered in-game, they get added as icons, late-game it looks like this).

Then it's compounded by a very gamey map, with four very distinct regions and chokepoints between those regions and inside the different regions, so it look like artificial.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Ukat, Ikat, Ikaq, Iraq was a bit of fun. Squabbling tribes...heh. I think I did help the other party oust the high King but still. Same with the Vol. I supported the rebels. Ahriel...supported the less-strung up bitches against their haughty mage lords (and their shit ambush). I just wish these things ushered in far, far more consequences. But no it was always down to the 300 odd guys per regiment and 10 forts doing the real stuff in lore while the map stood stagnant after a while.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Popped up again on sale... I rewatched the trailer.

Ok.... :/
I keep thinking of old flash games or bad phone games.

Time to watch some gameplay vids again.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I picked it up on sale. Need to support my old Spiderweb peeps. Much fun back in the day when coin was scarce.

I’ll get to it after I finish this modded Civ VI game which of course was sadly over after beating back the initial rush but fun to see all the new bells and whistles.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
So looking through the last couple of pages, it seems like Jürl Frenk helped design a map, which incidentally looks exactly like Vogelmap, which incidentally looks almost like a Swastika.

:philosoraptor:

S U S P I C I O U S.

Harthwain

Magister
I don't really have anything more to add to this discussion. Going by reactions to my original post, I'm not hallucinating.
I guess some people just get butthurt into blindness by the mere fact that something they like can be compared to something they don't.
Both parties can be correct.

It is possible to find some similarity in terms of rough shapes between the two, but the map of Realms Beyond is so well-detailed and life-like that the comparison ends there. Basically - Realms Beyond's map is what Queen's Wish's map could have been had it been done properly.

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1058130/discussions/0/2564160288803102582/

kirill-busidow
iconGames.png
16 Sep, 2019 @ 11:25pm
RPGcodex discussion of game
For those who want to know more about game

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/queens-wish-the-conqueror-the-jeff-vogel-kickstarter.122001/page-27
< 1 2 3 4 >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments

Twistor
iconGames.png
16 Sep, 2019 @ 11:48pm

Judging from that discussion alone, I will avoid those forums in the future. So much... whining, complaining and some sort of entitlement. Dunno, maybe it's just that thread but I doubt it.

jaimi
iconGames.png
17 Sep, 2019 @ 12:59am

RPG Codex? No thanks. I can hear the shouting from their mom's basement already. I'll just go back to playing this fun game.

Jarinex
iconGames.png
17 Sep, 2019 @ 1:58am

The game isn’t Baldurs gate 2 or arcanum, so obviously they wouldn’t like it.

Kensloth
iconGames.png
17 Sep, 2019 @ 2:29am

RPGCodex is a vermin hole filled with gnashing teeth and the wailing of the damned.

Dorok
iconGames.png
17 Sep, 2019 @ 4:11am

It's headbutted fanatics, they believe RPG must fill an exact series of design choices, and if not it's crap. Except most are like dumb when you put under their nose a game like Dragonfall.

Otherwise yes in general they are champion to complain and totally unable of openness.

I remind they did a all time top and a game like Temple of Elemental Evil as 15 or something, what a joke. This RPG has good combats fairly good dungeons, but that's it; 15 isn't a joke it's total absurdity.

That's also this groups that contributed a lot to destroy Tyranny at released and the game took a long time to recover from damages. With a game with an adventurous blueprint like in Tyranny organized anti hype can hurt a lot, it's not a surprise they was blind headbutted clowns with this game.
Last edited by Dorok; 17 Sep, 2019 @ 4:13am

Fionn Mac Cumhaill
iconGames.png
17 Sep, 2019 @ 8:57am

Ah yes, RPGCodex. I'm gonna hard "nope" out of that one. As someone mentioned, unless your game fits a very narrow subset of qualifications, they don't like it. It's actually amazing how vitriolic they are there. I'm pretty well convinced that RPGCodex is where happiness decided to curl up and die.

Let's be real: Almost nowhere is as bad a place to get any form of meaningful feedback as RPGCodex is.
Last edited by Fionn Mac Cumhaill; 17 Sep, 2019 @ 8:59am

Misenna
17 Sep, 2019 @ 10:16am

Stay away from RPGCodex ... *shivers*

RPGCodex discussion style in a nutshell:
"Mr. V. could have done this, didn't do that, is bad at everything, incompetent, lazy, name calling, memes, and lots of negativity galore." (pp.1 ... pp. 300+)

RCJenn
iconGames.png
17 Sep, 2019 @ 10:41am

RPGCodex; where honestly good RPG's are as welcome as Obama at a Klan rally.

efimpi
iconGames.png
17 Sep, 2019 @ 10:57am

I think that generally RPGCodex is the best place to discuss or read about RPGs. One can find a lot of in-depth forum discussions on an RPG design, different mechanics, writing in games, choice and consequences, etc. Editorials on this site are also v. good. For example, I realy like Darth Roxor's piece on writing in RPGs.

That said, some (many!) regulars of this forum are also quite opinionated, edgy, narrow-minded, intolerant and simply rude. I do not think that right now they are giving a fair appraisal of Queen's Wish, even if I agree with some particular negative points from this discussion.

Skaarphy
iconGames.png
17 Sep, 2019 @ 1:43pm

Originally posted by Jarinex:
The game isn’t Baldurs gate 2 or arcanum, so obviously they wouldn’t like it. Last I remember they pretty much universally agreed that BG2 is game that simply cannot be hated enough.

Jarinex
iconGames.png
17 Sep, 2019 @ 1:59pm

Originally posted by Skaarphy:
The game isn’t Baldurs gate 2 or arcanum, so obviously they wouldn’t like it. Last I remember they pretty much universally agreed that BG2 is game that simply cannot be hated enough.
Then they are truly a lost cause.

Kensloth
iconGames.png
17 Sep, 2019 @ 2:26pm

Originally posted by Skaarphy:
Last I remember they pretty much universally agreed that BG2 is game that simply cannot be hated enough.
Then they are truly a lost cause.
Seriously. What brings them joy, flushing kittens down the toilet?

kirill-busidow
iconGames.png
17 Sep, 2019 @ 9:07pm

I like RPGcodex, good place to read.

kirill-busidow
iconGames.png
17 Sep, 2019 @ 9:07pm

Sorry if someone didnt like discussion there.

marecki
17 Sep, 2019 @ 11:31pm

Oh come on, they're not that bad. Some Codexers have absolutely amazing knowledge of old-school rpgs. I thought I knew quite a bit about dungeons crawlers until I started lurking on the Codex. Yeah, there's whining and bickering, but that's because, contrary to what some here claim, it's not a homogenous group, nothing is "universally agreed on" as good or bad. Torment probably comes closest to perfection, but even that game has received some bashing. And like I said, one can actually learn something (wading through some crap, admittedly :). If it weren't for the Codex, I would never have discovered some gems, like Dark Heart of Uukrul. There are obviously outliers, but as a hivemind, they do have a pretty good taste, just check their top(something) rankings, with the likes of Bloodlines, Arcanum, Fallout, Torment, Jagged Alliance, Wizardry, Dark Sun, etc.

almondblight

Arcane
such as areas only being clearable in one attempt (as opposed to attriting away the residents of a dungeon with frequent trips back to town to heal).

That actually sounds like a decent improvement.

Terra

Cipher
Jeff just pushed a "major update" (his words) out for the original QW:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1058130/announcements/detail/3108040246267479255

New graphics and lots of improvements. Queen's Wish 2 is on the way.
We have updated Queen's Wish: The Conqueror to v1.1. The new version has completely revamped creature graphics and lots of small improvements. They're great improvements for our retro indie adventure.

We just had a successful Kickstarter for the next game in the Queen's Wish trilogy, Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor. Part of the funds for that are going into improved graphics, and we wanted to get that art into the first game.

Queen's Wish 2 should be out in 2022. Enjoy!

I took a quick look and it seems he also added proper 8-way facing sprites for characters too, iirc everyone was always diagonal originally.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I picked it up on sale. Need to support my old Spiderweb peeps. Much fun back in the day when coin was scarce.

I’ll get to it after I finish this modded Civ VI game which of course was sadly over after beating back the initial rush but fun to see all the new bells and whistles.

Just a warning from a fellow fan; this is the only Spiderweb Software game I quit after only a couple of hours. I just couldn't get into it.

Falksi

Arcane
Well this is fucking shit, what's Vogel on the soft twat?

Been playing a few hours now and, after being drawn in by a nicely refreshing premise, adventuring is bogged down by Fallout 4(ish) style bullshit town construction constriction, and I've gone from feeling like I'm off on a high adventure, to resource management and busywork. Totally fucking kills the sense of adventure flat.

Then there's the lack of discovery and the ability to search places for objects & items. It's a huge miss from his earlier games.

Uninstall.exe

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom