Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
And why norse religion is called with some neopagan name?

Paganisms, lacking central authority, don't have an official name. Hellenism is projected name. Asatru at least has a bit more flavour to it than "Pagan (Germanic)".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And why norse religion is called with some neopagan name?

Paganisms, lacking central authority, don't have an official name. Hellenism is projected name. Asatru at least has a bit more flavour to it than "Pagan (Germanic)".
That is the same with every religion lol,people back then didn't call their religion with some fancy name lol. Religion is an abstract thing that you believe,it doesn't need a brand.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
That is the same with every religion lol,people back then didn't call their religion with some fancy name lol. Religion is an abstract thing that you believe,it doesn't need a brand.

Not disagreeing (and agree that the slavic one is boring), my point is that complaining about terms being ahistorical is the wrong way to go.

Though I hope we can all agree that the "byzantine empire" should be called the Roman Empire. :argh:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
The fact that they include India at all, to me, demands that China be involved in some sense, and the manner with which it was included in CK2 certainly left one wanting. Having sooo much of the Silk Road and not bothering with China just feels arbitrary to me. And its not even much to add, relatively speaking.
Just to clarify, I was taking issue with the general direction the series was taking and the loss of focus. I think we are in complete agreement when it comes to China actually. If Paradox are going to go as big as they have then it only makes sense to include as much of Eurasia as possible, and considering their business model I'm sure they'll add China later on along with new mechanics and are just withholding it to nickel and dime consoomers (to do it justice if you want to be kind). I don't have a problem with this, as comrade Bakunin once said, the more DLC and content the developers add the more value you get once you pirate the game.
You may well be right. I guess I save my rare optimism for games, however undue. :P
Optimism is rare in these parts, you should treasure what little of it you have, comrade.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Paradox removed ships. Your troops instantly board magical ships the moment you move them to the water. That means a landlocked country for ex like poland can launch a massive invasion the moment they have one coastal province.

The Rome 2 approach. That worked out so well...

Zariusz

Arbiter
I believe that there is big chance for chinese DLC, just look on this map, eastern part looks like it was teared out.
185457937.jpg

In current CK2 if the crusades get going Catholicism gets increasingly powerful with each one and eventually bulldozes all the way to China. So there's that.

Kind of hard to deal with every catholic in the world attacking you at once + the resulting kingdom with infinite money to throw around in their own defense. Only reason the crusades have trouble initially is that they can't summon nearby help to fight the counter-jihad.

Zariusz

Arbiter
I hope that that there will be mod that makes menu aesthetics simillar to ck2.
Is it just me or CK3 terrain map looks worse than Imperator Rome one?

And there is no Kolguyev island on map.
No more frozen pyramids in the north
:negative:

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
The infidels OF Jerusalem? :roll:
It is de jure kingdom region in CK.

The idea behind the first crusade was to liberate the Christian near east from Muslim rule, this text conveys none of that(rather the opposite) and is weirdly generic besides. Flavour is good, right?

Anyway, we'll see if there are going to be any special texts for crusades/jihads for certain targets or during certain times.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The infidels OF Jerusalem? :roll:
It is de jure kingdom region in CK.

The idea behind the first crusade was to liberate the Christian near east from Muslim rule, this text conveys none of that(rather the opposite) and is weirdly generic besides. Flavour is good, right?

Anyway, we'll see if there are going to be any special texts for crusades/jihads for certain targets or during certain times.
Buahahahahahaha expecting anything else from paradox lol,nice one mate :).

Zariusz

Arbiter
I could live without sub-saharan Africa and India. Who even fucking cares about those regions? Remember all those fun poo playthroughs in CK2? Me neither.
Its for earlier colonisation and negrogian empires.

And remember all those nigga Byzantine emperors from Ghana and Ethiopia marriages in CK2? I almost always have them in my playthroughs.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I could live without sub-saharan Africa and India. Who even fucking cares about those regions? Remember all those fun poo playthroughs in CK2? Me neither.
Its for earlier colonisation and negrogian empires.

And remember all those nigga Byzantine emperors from Ghana and Ethiopia marriages in CK2? I almost always have them in my playthroughs.

Ethiopia aka Axum had contact with Mediterranean (bit diminished after VII century but still) world but Ghanna/Gold Coast? as source of black slaves for Barbary states in North Africa maybe.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Ethiopia aka Axum had contact with Mediterranean (bit diminished after VII century but still) world but Ghanna/Gold Coast? as source of black slaves for Barbary states in North Africa maybe.

West Africa had three succeeding empires based on the trans-saharan trade of exporting gold, ivory, kola nuts, and yes slaves.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghana_Empire
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_Empire
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songhai_Empire

To their east was Empire of Kanem–Bornu and its rivals the Hausa City States also existed on trans-saharan trade serving the central routes to what is now Libya.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanem–Bornu_Empire
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausa_Kingdoms

Most of these empires aside form Ghana where Islamic.

Also most slaves where aquired by those kingdoms from even more southern pagan tribes. Those where then sold to Berber traders who ran the oasis trade routes across the actual desert.

Those nomadic desert tribes where usually disunited but under strong leadership could be forged into a deadly force for expansion. The great jihad that created the Almoravid Empire is a striking example.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almoravid_dynasty

Arising among southern Berbers tribes from present day central Mauritania those where probably one of the literal examples of "Black Moors" in Medieval Europe.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Yeah, disingenuous as fuck for folks to act like having a region on the map means you're likely to see some Ghanain empire take over the British isles.

Zariusz

Arbiter

Yeah, disingenuous as fuck for folks to act like having a region on the map means you're likely to see some Ghanain empire take over the British isles.
To be honest many people in CK2 didnt like for example india because it wasnt interesting region to observe and they had problems with performance. That is why there were mods that removed certain regions like whole india.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The impact on medieval Europe of Sub-Saharan Africa and India were minimal, there's no real gameplay reason to include them when a few trade routes starting at the edges of the map and maybe a couple of events a la "This happened in a far-off land" should be enough. But adding more map space is easier than fleshing out existing stuff (because that'll be DLC). Look at Imperator: You've got India but it's literally exactly like any other nation because all of them are just generic.

Greetings, dear friends, and welcome to the cultural dev diary! Today, we’re going to be going over some familiar mechanics from CK2, and, relatedly, our decidedly less familiar all-new tech system!

Cultures & Culture Groups

The basic structure of the cultural system will be fairly recognisable to many of you. Every county and character on the map has a culture, representing (usually) the majority demographic for that county or the preferred customs of that character. Most cultures are based around a language, but some focus more on dialect or specific bodies of tradition, and a few are even primarily just regional.

Every culture, in turn, belongs to a culture group. These are gatherings of several cultures that, whilst distinct from one another, are nevertheless closely related. Most often this is down to a shared root culture, but in a few cases cultures have entered the same group merely by cohabiting for a long period of time.

Characters who come from completely different cultures like each other less, with characters who come from different cultures within the same group taking a reduced penalty. Like CK2, this only matters within your realm, so you won’t get grumpy at your neighbour for being different unless you’re occasionally required to talk to the lad.

Cultural preferences carry over to the peasantry: if the lord who directly holds a particular county doesn’t share that county’s culture, then that county will take a hit to popular opinion (with the hit being smaller if they’re at least part of the same culture group).

Of course, as this is only the direct holder of a county, having a good friend who understands the local customs in charge of all these strange foreign peasants can be an excellent way to stave off peasant revolts...

But what about...

… Melting pots and culture splits? Still got ‘em! We’ve even got some fancy new scripted effects to make it easier than ever to add your own.

Culture conversion is also more easily accessible: per the council task dev diary, this is now a council task, performed by your steward. You can attempt to culture convert any county in your sub-realm, though without an excellent steward or certain types of faith, it’ll likely take a while. People seldom change their culture quickly or willingly.

Show us the good stuff!

Ahhhhhh, you want to see some maps? See how granular we’re getting with our cultural setup this time around? Well, maps I’ve got! How many new cultures can you pick out?

001.png

002.png

003.png

004.png

Cultural & Technology

In CK3, cultures mean a lot more than just a few points of opinion here and there. Cultures are now an integral part of our reworked system for technology, with eras, explicit innovations, and mechanics for tussling over the cultural heart of your people.

Innovations

Innovations are the very heart of CK3’s technological system. Each one represents a thorough proliferation of an idea, a legal practice, or a specific technology, taken to heart by any given culture, or still weird and foreign no matter its advantages. As the game progresses, cultures will slowly become more and more accustomed to the various innovations, until each innovation is thoroughly embraced and ubiquitous amongst the people of that culture. At that point, an innovation is considered “unlocked”, and its unique benefits are accessible to characters and counties of the unlocking culture.

005.png

Benefits for each innovation vary tremendously between them. Some unlock new and better forms of succession law, some give bonuses to growth or income, some allow access to specific Men-at-Arms, or even grant entirely new CBs. We have innovations for everything from battlements to bombards, from coinage to cranes, and wootz steel to wierdijks!

Innovations broadly fall into one of three categories: military, civic, and special (a.k.a, "Cultural and Regional"), each grouped together in the interface.

Military and civic innovations typically cover what you might expect (martial and non-martial matters, respectively). All cultures can, eventually, acquire all military and civic innovations.

Special innovations behave a bit differently. A few are unlocked via special decisions and can only be acquired by taking those decisions, whilst some are cultural, requiring you to belong to a specific culture or culture group, but most are regional innovations.

006.png

Regional innovations require you to either have at least a certain number of counties within a specific area to unlock, or else to have a certain percentage of your culture’s total counties within that area. They represent concepts and technologies that were specific to certain areas historically, rather than spreading across large areas of the globe, but which could very easily have been developed by any culture moving into that area.

Needless to say, innovations, the bonuses they provide, and the mechanics they unlock are all fully scriptable and can be modded with ease.

But how do I *unlock* an innovation?

All innovations have a small chance to progress towards being unlocked per month, affected by a few factors, with the most telling one being average development of the sum counties a culture holds. A culture that spreads recklessly will have naturally slower growth than one that exists in concentrated pockets of high development.

The major ways generation progress towards unlocking innovations are setting fascinations and exposure. Each of these affect only a single innovation at a time, though both happen simultaneously.

Exposure is a natural process, occurring when your culture has counties that border another culture with a specific innovation. The more you have in common (culture group, religion, and so on) with that other culture, and the more of its counties your culture borders, the faster you’ll unlock that innovation.

007.png

Fascination, by contrast, is an entirely character-driven process, reflecting the drive of powerful leaders to introduce new concepts and technologies (be they original or imported) to their people. Where exposure is selected randomly from suitable innovations, fascination is deliberately selected by a specific character.

Who gets to pick? Why, the cultural head.

008.png

Any culture with at least one landed ruler somewhere has a cultural head, who then has complete control over which fascination is selected from available innovations. The cultural head always shares the culture they are the head of, and is the character with the most counties of that culture within their sub-realm in the world.

As you can imagine, the size of the culture makes a difference in how easy it is to become (and stay) cultural head: there are many more Andalusian counties than there are, say, Cornish ones.

An important factor in unlocking innovations via fascination is the learning skill of the cultural head. An unlearned cultural head doesn’t do much to bring new ideas and technologies to their people, but an erudite scholar knows who to invite to court, how to phrase ideas in a way the peasants will accept, and how to get the nobility to see the benefit of embracing a foreign concept!

Eras

You might be thinking that this sounds a little bit disorganised. What stops me, say, unlocking bombards in the 900s and blowing my enemies away with oversized canons for the next five hundred years?

The answer to that is eras.

009.png

In CK3, all innovations are organised into one of four eras, before being categorised into military, civic, or special. In order to begin unlocking innovations from an era, you need to have actually reached that era.

If an innovation belongs to the Tribal Era, no problem. All cultures start with the tribal era reached, and many primarily-feudal cultures will start with most (if not all) of its innovations unlocked, especially in 1066.

For the eras beyond that (the Early Medieval, High Medieval, and Late Medieval), you need to meet two criteria. The date must be at least an appropriate minimum year (e.g., the high medieval period cannot start before 1050 AD), and you must have at least 50% of the preceding era’s innovations unlocked. Further, if your cultural head is tribal, you will be unable to progress to the next era until you obtain a non-tribal cultural head. Cultures that have just left the Tribal Era will unlock innovations faster for a time, allowing them to catch up a little as medieval social and legal structures begin sweeping their lands.

Eras therefore let us gate technologies and features in stages, so that cultures which thrived in later centuries can still use their special bonuses, units, and features, but don’t get them too anachronistically.

Aaaand that about wraps it up for cultures and technology! I’ll be around the thread to answer questions for the next couple of hours, but otherwise, we’ll see you next week!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom