Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That little snippet at the end... I hope it's true that you can screw yourself over by your choices (and character builds) making the game harder (or more interesting).

Welll....depends. In W2 if you play a renegade the game will end many, many hours sooner than the "correct" path, effectively cutting you off from the majority of the California content. I suppose you can call it "more interesting", in a way, but I wasn't amused.

In general tho I agree with you ofc.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Haven't followed this since announcement. Will it have more fun/diverse character customization and combat than its predecessor, or is it carbon-copying those systems?

I believe this video answers your question.

If you ignore the hype speech, it seems like the system is one akin to Div:OS. So more customization and stuff to do in battle compared to the first one, but still something fairly sub-mediocre. I guess it's something, though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Haven't followed this since announcement. Will it have more fun/diverse character customization and combat than its predecessor, or is it carbon-copying those systems?

If you ignore the hype speech, it seems like the system is one akin to Div:OS. So more customization and stuff to do in battle compared to the first one, but still something fairly sub-mediocre. I guess it's something, though.
Mediocre compared to what? What exactly is your standard here? What are all the isometric RPGs with a better TB combat than DOS and W2DC?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Mediocre compared to what? What exactly is your standard here? What are all the isometric RPGs with a better TB combat than DOS and W2DC?

We're talking about character customization, not that I agree they have great TB combat either

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This feels so over the top wacky now. Melee that explodes?!
Wasteland was always wacky.
Eh. Disagree that this is of a piece with the type of humor from the original game. Wasteland was wacky, yes, but it had an internal consistency and within its own setting took itself seriously. Occasional easter eggs are one thing, but adding fourth wall-breaking "fight game" mechanics to a primary gameplay style is indeed way over the top in comparison. I'm not pitchforking over it but I agree with Alienman that they missed the mark tonally. It's fine, it's different writers, properties evolve.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah the vibes I'm getting from this are all wrong. The art style and tone looks as if the game was build with the Angry Joe crowd in mind. Everything is kraaazy and cooooloooourful and aaaaweesooome woooooow. Ffs, it looks like postapo for 12 year olds.

And what the fuck are those goofy robots portraying your stats? Is this a Nintendo game?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wasteland's writing is uneven and inconsistent. One minute it's serious business post-apocalypse, the next it's loony toons rules.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Super saiyan limit breaks are definitely unusual for a post-apocalyptic isometric RPG, but I say fuck it - somebody has to try it. Let one game try going full post-apocalyptic D:OS and let's see how it's received.

But the game is not light-hearted or for 12 year olds, the intro scenario is edgy af.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Yeah, things like the bunny master, the engineer saying the brakeman was nuts for suggesting arcaic methods like the use of an engine to pull the train, the guardians with the visa cards signs and the cultists sounds silly, but not in the setting of Wasteland. Fargo's self inserts, the self references in Needles downtown and the Apple running Wasteland 2 are just "easter eggs". Then we have the fake parragraphs, with the first breaking the fourth wall, but doesn't interfere with the game narrative anyways because was a joke to the player trying to cheat. The only really wacky event in the game I remember is when you blow the hot dog stand with the howitzer.

The thing is Wasteland's "wackyness" never broke the rules of its own world. The exploding melee it's too much, maybe would pass if it's after a "supreme jerk" levels of grinding a skill or something else, like it's not a normal thing everyone could do, but if they are showing it in that video then it's clearly not a unlockable secret gimmick.

Anyway, I don't really have a problem at all with it.

Last edited:

Retcon Raider

Literate
That little snippet at the end... I hope it's true that you can screw yourself over by your choices (and character builds) making the game harder (or more interesting). The illusion of choice is no choice at all.

I think it's safe to say you'll be able to screw yourself over via story decisions. There seem to be plenty of opportunities to make terrible decisions, with potential consequences attached. You can also really screw up the CNPCs, I suppose, since they're unique characters and there's no respec option.

But I'm not sure you'll ever really be able to screw over your rangers via character builds. Once you unlock your new base, you have a potentially infinite supply of fresh new recruits who come in at a level close to your current squad average. If you really mess up a custom ranger's build, you can just replace them with a shiny new one.

Mud'

Scholar
But I'm not sure you'll ever really be able to screw over your rangers via character builds. Once you unlock your new base, you have a potentially infinite supply of fresh new recruits who come in at a level close to your current squad average. If you really mess up a custom ranger's build, you can just replace them with a shiny new one.

Hold up, you can have an infinite source of recruits? That was one of my main complaints of W2 where iron-man felt impossible since if your companions died, you were shit out of luck.

Also when they mention that you can screw yourself over, i wonder what they mean with that, is it something like "oh shit i am hostile with everyone and the character i need to progress the story is in the city where everyone is going to try to kill me" or something akin to Fallout New Vegas where no matter what you do or fucked up, you have Yes Man to finish the game.

As for the game itself, the vibe it gives from the trailers and so is just...so off putting for some reason, i really dig this type of setting and combat and it seems leagues better combat wise than W2, however the DBZ tier punching, the wacky stuff and...i guess this left such a bad impression on me that i just dont want to read or know anything about W3, i mean what the fuck were they thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaTmSTxzD6k

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They are obviously going for SUPER COOLNESS with explosions and whatever, which is admittedly a bit off putting... But the game it self seems really promising.
Looks good, nice fluid TB combat, decent char gen and itemization.. I can live with the wackiness if everything else works.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://expansivedlc.com/wasteland-3-will-be-the-best-wasteland-yet/

WASTELAND 3 WILL BE THE BEST WASTELAND YET

We already got some decent hands-on with Wasteland 3 back at Gamescom and found it to be a fantastic RPG.

While it’s a shame that the game has been delayed until August, we’ve been able to spend even more time with it thanks to a new preview build and we’re loving it even more.

All the things we appreciated from before are still relevant, but there’s something to be said about how accessible it all is, while remaining fiercely in-depth and customisable.

Combat feels both strategic and satisfying, there’s lots of missions to dive into, and there’s a real biting wit and dark humour in the writing that makes all of this even more enjoyable.

In that regard, Wasteland 3 falls somewhere between a Borderlands and a Fallout with the hyper eccentric characters, post-apocalyptic setting, and buckets worth of blood.

Something I didn’t get to explore much before was the character creation and before setting out, in this case, the game wants you to select a character pairing.

I draw attention to this, because it’s pretty unusual to have to customise two characters at the start, but there’s real advantages to it and it definitely sets the tone for what’s to come.

For instance, there’s a Father & Daughter combination which gave me a proper Cormac McCarthy ‘The Road’ vibe, as the father is credited for his sneaky skills and melee combat, while his younger daughter is a proficient sniper, lockpicker and talker.

Each character has their unique background and the pairing will also have an ‘origin story’ of sorts, telling you how they came to fight together.

I loved this so much, as there’s some fascinating pre-sets. But, of course, you can also customise the two characters you take into the world, defining their appearance, starting weapons, quirks, and even their voices.

Battles have a real XCOM vibe, with a percentage above an enemy head to show you your chance to hit. This, of course, expends action points, as do all the other abilities each character has.

Wasteland 3 has a real focus on cover, as you can duck behind burned out vehicles and broken up bricks, hunkering down and peppering bullets at anyone who dares threaten you. And there will be a lot of threats coming from all angles.

There seems like there’s going to be tough battles in Wasteland 3 as well with massive, automatic weapon robots, and bulked up bosses that are just hyped up on adrenaline. The game encourages different strategies in every situation, constantly keeping you on your toes.

Some battles can be avoided as long as you stay outside of the enemies perimeter when in top-down overworld, but combat isn’t always the only thing to worry about as the scenery can implode around, and even underneath you.

Being able to stay out of the eyeline of battle is also crucial to survival so you can safely infiltrate seemingly abandoned buildings or critical facilities to reach another set of objectives.

The scenery can even be used to your advantage, and sometimes serve as a first strike in battle. Like, if you shoot a petroleum tank, for instance, it can set everything ablaze within ten squares, giving you a massive advantage before a single bullet whizzes past your ear.

There’s also crucial choices to make which can affect how things play out – like if you let a bandit live so they can tell their buddies about you, or the implications of executing that person in cold blood.

When looting from battle, there’s tons of junk to find in Wasteland 3 and all of it can be traded to vendors for extra coin. Which is pretty handy in a pinch, considering there’s lots of places to visit and things to buy.

Of course, there’s also random things to pick up in the environment and even certain things you can interact with. Like, for instance, the ability to freely piss on snowballs, then throw them at NPCs in the game and give them some negative side effects. That won’t always come without implications, though.

You can even modify individual weapons so that your favourite piece is customised to suit your playstyle. I love it.

Wasteland 3 is just absolutely great fun and is seemingly full of surprises. Even the soundtrack when it creeps in is an absolute clanger and will have you bopping your head and tapping your thigh when you least expect it.

Having spent a substantial chunk of time with the game now, I’m not only excited for August, I’m quietly confident that Wasteland 3 will be one of the best RPGs this year.

I love the squad-based nature of combat, the unique properties both characters bring into the game, the vast amount of choice. It’s a surprisingly welcome world to explore considering the struggles in our own.

Who needs next gen, because right now there’s still plenty to get excited about for the current one. This is going to be the best Wasteland yet.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Guys, I am a little bit confused here... Our Fig keys were delivered already? Its the same key as the beta keys or will be another one?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom