Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Sword is fast losing its charm.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Turns out I lied about finishing Broken Sword. Recently got to Syria and it was indeed getting worse. I looked at the gamefaqs walkthrough and it looks like I've already played all the puzzles. (They are easy to scan since they all have diagrams in the walkthrough.) The lock puzzles, the two cipher puzzles, and the "chess puzzle" in Spain appears to be it in the whole game. So I see no reason to keep playing.

Just bought Goblins Pack.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Broken Sword is one thing, to hell with it

But if you say a single bad word about the Goblins series...

I will find and destroy you

1237917779613a.jpg

made

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
But if you say a single bad word about the Goblins series...
Too tempting. I did a quick romp in G2 on scummvm the other day, and noticed the CD version added speech. Now the Goblins chatter and readily give hints to puzzle solutions, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case in the old version I played. I liked it better when they were limited to the funny unintelligible sounds they made. So there.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
made said:
Now the Goblins chatter and readily give hints to puzzle solutions.

Really? That's shit then.

Serves you right for playing some popamole CD versions :rpgcodex:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
GOG pack includes both CD and floppy versions :smug:

And yeah, talking Goblins is shit. I love the weird sound they make in the floppy versions. 3's CD version added some hilarious cartoon sequences in-between each level, though I don't remember if it also made the Goblins speak (there's probably a speech off toggle somewhere anyway...)

God damn it, now I need to go replay Goblins...

Profanity

Novice
Don't play that shitty director's cut, GoG gives you an option to download the original - fucking do it.

MCA
Jaesun said:
:EpicPicardFacePalm:

Fowyr said:
Dicksmoker said:
make it my first adventure game.
This. Can't. Be. Real.

Darth Roxor said:
Dicksmoker said:
Darth Roxor said:
Are you putting an equal sign between 'cartoonish' and 'retarded'?
Yes.

That's sad.

All of that.

Dicksmoker said:
I still plan on playing Grim Fandango and Sanitarium at some point but I may have to give most of the others a pass.

Try as you might like but it's unlikely you'll like Grim Fandango. It is full of pop-cult references that require serious pop-cult lore to appreciate, is cartoonish, is very light hearted and humourous despite dealing with a relatively grimdark story and requires mature intelligence to understand its immature moments. It's way out of your league at this point of your life and experience, which sadly is not likely to change in future, judging by your posting history.

You might enjoy Sanitarium, however, for the apparent grimdarkness without thinking about the underlying symbolism and (pop)pyschological references related to the ending. It's a greatly accessible game for that.

You really should just play Legacy of Kain series, especially Soul Reaver 1&2. Lots of moving blocks around and stuff like that.

Still, I just can't help wondering what kind of fucked up sheltered and isolated upbringing one must have had thus far in his life to associate "cartoonish" with... immature or just bad.

Anyway, there are also pure puzzle adventure games, like Safecracker, Lighthouse, Pandora's Box, 7th Guest, 11th Hour. Try these. You don't physically move boxes around in a game world in either but they are all about solving puzzles. There aren't even any characters to interact with.

MCA
Black Cat said:
I did not play any Broken Sword game beyond the first two, though. I don't really enjoy those kind of stuffies full of plot and the like. Instead of exploring a cool place and having to interpretate what we find, deduce how thingies work in base to that, and then experiment around until we can open a new area you are just going through a linear series of boring challenges with no exploration, thought, nor deduction involved, and there's no sense of accomplishment when you get through a screen as inventory puzzles come only in two varieties: Very easy and stupidly convoluted.

Oh geez, now that doesn't describe Monkey Island at all :roll: Also ironic because Sanitarium is full of things to think about and interpret in different ways in respect to the ending. Provided, it's all post-mortem for the player but nonetheless, it's full of interestinghies (even though the game itself isn't so very good as an adventure, imo). And so is Grim Fandango in a retro and expressive way. Mind you I'm not actually disagreeing with you, just so you don't think I'm trying to be an asshole on you. Again.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
villain of the story said:
Try as you might like but it's unlikely you'll like Grim Fandango. It is full of pop-cult references that require serious pop-cult lore to appreciate, is cartoonish, is very light hearted and humourous despite dealing with a relatively grimdark story and requires mature intelligence to understand its immature moments. It's way out of your league at this point of your life and experience, which sadly is not likely to change in future, judging by your posting history.
Yeah whatever, go ahead and pretend that you're somehow more enlightened than me because you like a game that I don't. Talk about maturity...

Still, I just can't help wondering what kind of fucked up sheltered and isolated upbringing one must have had thus far in his life to associate "cartoonish" with... immature or just bad.
What? I watched and enjoyed cartoons as a kid. Then I grew out of them and stopped watching them. If you still enjoy them I don't hold that against you or anyone else, but are you seriously thinking someone is fucked up when they, as an adult, find something cartoonish to be immature? Seriously?

made

Arcane
Eh, let's not discourage Dicksmoker from playing good games by making up prerequisites for their enjoyment. I'm pretty sure I missed a great deal of the references (because I don't remember it having any) and I liked the game well enough for what it is, ie. a well-written story in a unique setting.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's full of film noir references (at first at least).

The cartoon thing cracks me up though. Go read watership down or bambi dicksmoker.

Hell, watch some of the old bugs bunny or daffy duck shorts.

You'll be surprised at the general knowledge required to get some of the jokes. For instance:

nimrod

1. A mighty hunter. Now chiefly used in this sense outside the United States. (from the bible)
2. A slow-witted person.

Curiously enough, Dictionary.com attests definition 2 to have derived from a Looney Toons episode, wherein Bugs Bunny mocks his adversary, the hunter Elmer Fudd, calling him a "poor little Nimrod". Warner Brothers' Looney Toons cartoons were not written for children, but for literate adults, and often contained literary references children would not understand. Younger generations, mostly illiterate, and having little or no Bible knowledge not gleaned from their moronic parents and half-wit talk radio hosts, probably misunderstood the comment as being a general insult describing the slow-witted Fudd.

MCA
made said:
Eh, let's not discourage Dicksmoker from playing good games by making up prerequisites for their enjoyment. I'm pretty sure I missed a great deal of the references (because I don't remember it having any) and I liked the game well enough for what it is, ie. a well-written story in a unique setting.

Well then just imagine how much stuff you missed. There's far more than noir film references. Then again, you're not dicksmoker so it's only normal that you were able to enjoy it.

Black Cat

Magister
Oh geez, now that doesn't describe Monkey Island at all :roll: Also ironic because Sanitarium is full of things to think about and interpret in different ways in respect to the ending. Provided, it's all post-mortem for the player but nonetheless, it's full of interestinghies (even though the game itself isn't so very good as an adventure, imo). And so is Grim Fandango in a retro and expressive way. Mind you I'm not actually disagreeing with you, just so you don't think I'm trying to be an asshole on you. Again.

I wasn't talking about ending or story but about the puzzles. The puzzles on those games I mentioned requires deduction, interpretation, exploration, and experimentation. You know I'm no storyfag: The plot, for all I care, can be about ancient evil awakening in 3... 2... 1... and, as long as the puzzles are cool, I'm happy. I play hardcore puzzle games to show the world I'm better and smarter than them, just as I play hardcore shmups to show the world I'm better and more dexterous than them. Story is for the weak.

And Grim Fandango and Sanitarium have awful puzzles. Maybe they have lots of references, subtexts, and stuffies to find but we were talking about the gameplay. The puzzles in either of them can't compare with even the simplest puzzle on Schizm or Obsidian or Rhem, all games where you have to explore very pretty places to find subtle clues about what to do and then deduce both what do they mean, and how and when to do it. Experimentation, observation, and method win the day, not finding the so called witty solutions and funny solutions.

:rpgcodex:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Dicksmoker is still one the most retarded people in existence. No surprise BlackCat agrees with him.

Myst puzzles require "deduction". Fucking lol. Just like with most puzzles you either "deduce" or you just stumble on the solution by mistake.

A "puzzle adventure" would probably make Dicksmoker cry, btw.

Also, Broken Sword died when they released BS3.

And cartoon = retarded. So everything that's drawn in cartoon style is retarded? No matter the content? Jeez, Dicksmoker... just stick a gun in your mouth already. You're a useless pustule.

And what's with the thing about only watching 18 rated movies?
Nevermind the stupidity of trusting some retarded classification board, or actually believing that some clear and exact classifications can be done and that they hold any meaning... is this fucktard even 18 yet? Some time ago he was still wondering how you can kiss a girl who gave you a blowjob.

Black Cat

Magister
So you, like, cleared Schizm and Rhem and Cydonia and stuffies by means of stumbling on the solution by mistake?

Cool story, bro.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
FeelTheRads said:
And cartoon = retarded. So everything that's drawn in cartoon style is retarded? No matter the content? Jeez, Dicksmoker... just stick a gun in your mouth already. You're a useless pustule.
Completely retarded lack of reading comprehension. And then you actually have the audacity to call me "useless." I'm not surprised.

Nevermind the stupidity of trusting some retarded classification board, or actually believing that some clear and exact classifications can be done and that they hold any meaning... is this fucktard even 18 yet?
How can you keep progressively being more retarded? You have to be a troll. The alternative of you simply being an extremely vapid and moronic individual is almost too much to comprehend, even by Codex Dumbfuck standards.

Some time ago he was still wondering how you can kiss a girl who gave you a blowjob.
Yeah, go ahead and refer to something completely unrelated and which no one else would probably even remember in order to give your post the appearance of substance. Do you keep a text file on me or something? Pretty creepy. I hear that fixation phase is something everyone goes through but that they grow out of it eventually. I don't know what to tell you man. You're gonna have to wait it out and hope it eventually goes away.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Completely retarded lack of reading comprehension.

Dicksmoker said:
Darth Roxor said:
Are you putting an equal sign between 'cartoonish' and 'retarded'?
Yes.

My reading comprehension is pretty fine.

How can you keep progressively being more retarded?

Exactly what I think when I read your posts. Just like this one. Or that one about bad guys always having to be punished in movies. I thought you would actually try to explain why you're so retarded, but nope.

Yeah, go ahead and refer to something completely unrelated and which no one else would probably even remember in order to give your post the appearance of substance.

It's something that shows you're just a retarded kid desperately pretending to be mature.

I hear that fixation phase is something everyone goes through but that they grow out of it eventually.

Yes, keep telling yourself people just have something against you and you're not really just as stupid as you look.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Pretty ironic you talking about fitting in when you're the one who replied to a month-old thread in order to achieve some validation with the other retards who don't like me. What's wrong, feel like you're not fitting in? Need to join with other dumbfucks like the one above you so you feel less alone? You two are both pathetic.

Now go ahead and and reply with some sardonic comment to this and pretend that you're amused by all of this. You're not fooling anyone.

I played the Broken Sword for GBA some time ago, didn't find it very interesting. Gave up as soon as I realized I was just walking around and clicking on stuff expecting an event to happen. Maybe it gets better later, but iirc the story wasn't that interesting either.

/useless input

Naraya

Arcane
I played the Broken Sword for GBA some time ago, didn't find it very interesting. Gave up as soon as I realized I was just walking around and clicking on stuff expecting an event to happen. Maybe it gets better later, but iirc the story wasn't that interesting either.

/useless input
I just tried playing it for the first time. This game is the literal walking and clicking simulator with an uninteresting story. An hour later I was bored enough to uninstall it. I don't understand the praise.

Before you tell me that you can say that about every adventure / PnC game - I finished The Longest Journey a few days ago and it was a wholesome, deep experience that I absolutely loved.

m_s0

Arcane
I think Broken Sword 1 does the 'adventure' in 'adventure game' better than just about any game I can think of. It certainly does it well enough to get me to enjoy BS2 nearly as much, regardless of the sequel's numerous shortcomings.

Lios

Cipher
Broken Sword 1 is great indeed.
If you don't fall asleep while watching George slowly walk from one point to the other, screen after screen, like having half a turd in his pants, you're gonna love the game for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom