Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
My response to Somberlain and "Rean"'s ratings:

20200516162050-1.jpg

Deleted member 7219

I haven't played any of the Crossbell games so no opinion on that.

Cecile and Lloyd stuff is preeetty mild, unless there is some hidden relationship stuff I missed? Even then, it's his brother's girlfriend, so again, not really strictly incestuous.
That doesn't make it much less fucked up.

I might be wrong, but the message I got from TfZ was that Guy (Lloyd's brother) and Cecile basically brought up Lloyd. Then Guy got killed, Lloyd went off to the police academy, came back to the city (thus starting the events of TfZ) and everyone seems to want him to get together with Cecile.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Okay, I finished TOCS 3. Man, it was long. Too long. I'm thankful for the turbo buttons. Those saved me ~25 hours, according to the internal game timer vs Steam playing time.

The ending events were a mixed bag.
Explosion of Courageous was so dumb.
The character motivation behind following Osborne was also lame. Dammit, even Rufus, the smartest guy around, was like "Mr. Osborne is so charismatic, we believe his every word." Ugh.
Once again, the traveling professor appears to be the mastermind.
Fake deaths:(
"Prophecy"

But when Rean lost and started bashing the sacred beast, and 5 other (total 6 out of 7, as mentioned by Rufus, we still haven't seen the final one) Divine Knights appeared there to calm him down. That was intense!

Also, I didn't like Rean/Elise stuff, though we discussed that enough already.

And another point I want to bring. I'm not too fond of where the setting has gone. It started off like a low-magic, industrialized world, now they threw all kinds of supernatural stuff into the mix. So it becomes less and less believable.

Anyway, still, the game is cool. Looking forward to the ending of TOCS saga.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I haven't played any of the Crossbell games so no opinion on that.

Cecile and Lloyd stuff is preeetty mild, unless there is some hidden relationship stuff I missed? Even then, it's his brother's girlfriend, so again, not really strictly incestuous.
That doesn't make it much less fucked up.

I might be wrong, but the message I got from TfZ was that Guy (Lloyd's brother) and Cecile basically brought up Lloyd. Then Guy got killed, Lloyd went off to the police academy, came back to the city (thus starting the events of TfZ) and everyone seems to want him to get together with Cecile.
There's an established practice of a man marrying his deceased brother's wife: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levirate_marriage

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Best town theme in CS3

And the main reason to look forward to returning to Einhell keep.

Oh and a few days ago i finished the game(will do a second run in the future for more chievos) and have mixed feelings about the ending:

Not a big fan with how they handled Osborne in it but seeing Rean lose his shit to rage was cool, as well as them killing off some characters.

Was saddened by my boy Olivier's passing. :negative: RIP debaucherous prince

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I should also mention these other bangers from CS3:

Great dungeon theme from my fave chapter in the game, and this is the dungeon where you're greeted with the pleasant surprise of having the Golden Rack-shasa in your crew.

The catchy theme to the card game that's a welcome improvement over blade.

The mech battle theme.

Final dungeon theme that also doubles as the normal battle theme in it without interruption.

cruel

Cipher
So... I was going the make the post asking why so many people like this game - I played Trails in the Sky for like 10-15h, got bored and never came back. But few days ago, I realized I got Trails of Cold Steel on one of the steam sales, started playing... and I'm having a blast. Much better game than TitS.

But, after playing TocS for around 10h, and feeling some Persona vibes, it makes me wonder - why this game is not more popular? I think that those first 10h are more fun for me than Persona 5 was, the characters seem actually more authentic, the game is more fun, and clearly a lot of love was put into this. We also have sort of high school setting here, the graphics are nice, music is nice, so what exactly happened that made Persona 5 so popular, while Trails is still 'niche' in some way? Just marketing / hype created?

Ysaye

Arbiter
So... I was going the make the post asking why so many people like this game - I played Trails in the Sky for like 10-15h, got bored and never came back. But few days ago, I realized I got Trails of Cold Steel on one of the steam sales, started playing... and I'm having a blast. Much better game than TitS.

But, after playing TocS for around 10h, and feeling some Persona vibes, it makes me wonder - why this game is not more popular? I think that those first 10h are more fun for me than Persona 5 was, the characters seem actually more authentic, the game is more fun, and clearly a lot of love was put into this. We also have sort of high school setting here, the graphics are nice, music is nice, so what exactly happened that made Persona 5 so popular, while Trails is still 'niche' in some way? Just marketing / hype created?

One glaring thing is that there are a lot of "Trails Zealots" that will tell new players they CAN'T do what you have just done and play this series out of order (I got a heap of abuse recently on youtube when I told a potential new player just to jump into CS3 if they really wanted to), but new players are conflicted because the older games take a bit of time to get into, and it takes patience and a reasonable investment of time. So that stops a whole heap before they can even get to Cold Steel.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The Kiseki/TITS games aren't too important to the CS games as far as main plots go, and i'm speaking as someone who started with Tits FC. There's some minor references to Estelle/Josh and the plotline for the Tits games but nothing essential.

The only important thing you have to know is that Olivier is the best character from Tits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom