Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

RepHope

Savant
I don't find 2.5 million impressive for a highly advertised title that has "FROM THE CREATORS OF THE ORIGINAL FALLOUT AND FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS" slapped on it and released on nearly every major platform.
The buzz around it died quickly and the honeymoon period ended fast. A sequel won't have a perfect storm of people hating on Bethesda at the exact release date either.
For an AA budget game those are great sales. To give you a comparison, Vampyr, another AA game, would’ve been considered a success with 1 million sales which I think it did eventually reach.

Now obviously a sequel will get an AAA budget and need to sell a lot more, but it’s not a bad start. Assuming of course this isn’t a PoE situation where the first game sells great but the sequel tanks.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
  • Fallout 3: 10+ millions.
  • Fallout: New Vegas: 8+ millions.
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: 7+ millions.
These are underestimations. Here's the sales numbers as of 2015:

[...] The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (2006) managed to sell a whopping 9.5 million units over the course of its life. Its follow-up, The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim (2011), is far and away Bethesda's biggest success ever; it has sold 22.7 million copies worldwide to this point.

Between those two titles, Bethesda published two Fallout games. Fallout 3 (2008) surpassed Oblivion, selling 12.4 million copies. Fallout: New Vegas (2010) — the only game on this list not actually developed by Bethesda Game Studios — performed just slightly lower, selling 11.6 million copies from its 2010 release date to now.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't find 2.5 million impressive for a highly advertised title that has "FROM THE CREATORS OF THE ORIGINAL FALLOUT AND FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS" slapped on it and released on nearly every major platform.
The buzz around it died quickly and the honeymoon period ended fast. A sequel won't have a perfect storm of people hating on Bethesda at the exact release date either.

It was given away for free to boost Xbox subscriptions basically, so I don't think that means what it would mean otherwise. Microsoft is evaluating success in a whole other way now.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Dragon Age Origins did this with Denerim and it was successful IMO.
Though I think the bulk of "gamers" have spoken and like the big empty open worlds of Assassin's Creed.
WTF are you smoking? Denerim was absolutely TERRIBLE.

It is literally a single square with two "random" maps of alleyways for the encounters to happen. It's not a city. It's the worst of both worlds. Bioware did much better with both Baldur's Gate games. Bethesda did better with both Oblivion and Skyrim. Not that they were perfect by any means but you have zero credibility if you're pushing fucking Denerim of all things. Fuck, Darklands with its menu screens did cities better than DA:O as did Neverwinter Nights.

As for sales numbers, remember that Fallouts, Oblivion, and Skyrim (in its different versions) have been included in numerous discounts, bundles, and free giveaways. Neither does the claim that TOW came at the perfect time as the anti-Bethesda storm was happening hold water because that was when TOW was announced. The anti-Bethesda storm was long gone by the time TOW actually came out.

Codex Year of the Donut
Well, let's see, total (estimated, but certainly the real numbers are higher) sales of the following games:
  • Fallout 3: 10+ millions.
  • Fallout: New Vegas: 8+ millions.
  • Fallout 4: 13+ millions.
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: 7+ millions.
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (+Special Edition): 26+ millions.
  • Assassin's Creed Origins: 8+ millions.
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey: 6+ millions.
  • Borderlands 2: 7+ millions.
And obviously we're not gonna use any game from Rockstar on this list because, duh. Oh, but we do have a game that has approximately 2 million in sales:
  • Fallout 76: 2,4+ millions.
I mean, I don't think TOW sales are bad for the kind of game it is. But impressive, they really aren't.
What a stupid fucking comparison.
Comparing sequels to well established IPs to the first game in an IP. Do you guys even think?
It was marketed as New Vegas 2 in everything but name. Fallout was namedropped in their reveal trailer. It was regularly referred to as a "sequel" to New Vegas by reviewers whom I'm sure weren't paid off.

Don't try to pretend like they didn't attempt to ride the Fallout train for sales.
I'm sure the next installment will sell better though. Sort of like how Deadfire sold better after Obsidian did the same exact scheme except with Baldur's Gate/PoE instead of Fallout/OW.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Neither does the claim that TOW came at the perfect time as the anti-Bethesda storm was happening hold water because that was when TOW was announced. The anti-Bethesda storm was long gone by the time TOW actually came out.
Fallout 1st was announced 2 days before Outer Worlds released you fucking retard.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...gave-people-reason-play-outer-worlds-instead/
https://www.gamerevolution.com/features/609867-the-outer-worlds-fallout-76-subscription-fallout-1st
https://onlysp.escapistmagazine.com/bethesda-fallout-1st-the-outer-worlds-advertisement-campaign/

Takamori

Learned
Like we are discussing the sex of the angels when we have no knowledge of the cost of the operation itself. Also Microsoft paid something to them to include the game into the game pass.
Since we didnt heard of layoffs after some time of the release I guess they managed to at least break even from sales.

Drowed

Arcane
Comparing sequels to well established IPs to the first game in an IP. Do you guys even think?

What a stupid answer. We're comparing games of the same genre, but hey, you just want new IPs? No problem:
  • Uncharted (1st) - 44+ millions.
  • The Last of Us - 30+ millions.
  • The Division - 20+ millions.
  • Red Dead Redemption - 13+ millions. (Arguably a Red Dead Revolver sequel, but c'mon. Nobody played that.)
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn - 10+ millions.
  • Ark: Survival Evolved - 7+ millions.
I could go on, but I'm tired of doing that because companies currently love to launch sequels and not new IPs. But hey, I know you'll definitely move this goalpost again. So it's easier for you to tell me, which games are we "allowed" to compare by your specific rules, dear sales analyst? Can you tell me what your objective and impartial analysis criteria are so that we can all use the same metric?

Sentinel

Arcane

What a stupid answer. We're comparing games of the same genre, but hey, you just want new IPs? No problem:
  • Uncharted (1st) - 44+ millions.
  • The Last of Us - 30+ millions.
  • The Division - 20+ millions.
  • Red Dead Redemption - 13+ millions. (Arguably a Red Dead Revolver sequel, but c'mon. Nobody played that.)
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn - 10+ millions.
  • Ark: Survival Evolved - 7+ millions.
I could go on, but I'm tired of doing that because companies currently love to launch sequels and not new IPs. But hey, I know you'll definitely move this goalpost again. So it's easier for you to tell me, which games are we "allowed" to compare by your specific rules, dear sales analyst? Can you tell me what your objective and impartial analysis criteria are so that we can all use the same metric?
Wait, can you keep replying and giving more examples? Watching you dig a deeper hole is pretty funny.

Smerlus

Educated
It wasnt available on Steam, only on Epic and Windows store. The former being a tough sell when you can just get gamepass for $1 and play the game.

Pretty much same with XBO.

PS4 gamers had to buy it.

So 2.5 mil on a new IP where you can play it for practically nothing on 2/3 systems is impressive in my book.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Take-Two bosses seem to be impressed by it. I know the suits are supposed to be clueless but I think they would know how to judge that.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
You guys also have to keep in mind that Bethesda achieves those sales by going absolutely ham on the marketing drums. They have commercials everywhere when launching a game and pretty much every games outlet will be talking about them nonstop. Didnt they even have a Hollywood launch party for Fallout 4 in which none of the celebrities even knew what Fallout was?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh right, some details about depot/branch are exposed by SteamDB's new method: https://steamdb.info/app/578650/depots/

I wonder Chelan is another codename for this game.

Also wondering if INX refers an expansion. (INdiana eXpansion)

Chelan seems to be a term related to other Microsoft games as well: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-account/f3f63054-9817-4f84-9e81-4a1d4d597bca
https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePassPC/comments/gjpwmz/msixvc_folder_lesson_learned/

It's a placename in Washington State. They seem to have used it for a variety of purposes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Some Obsidian interviews were put on youtube today!

Hmm, here's another TOW Game Stack thing from earlier this month: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/videoplayer/embed/RE4tFnr

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-...s-gameplay-design-kept-possibilities-endless/

Obsidian’s gameplay design kept possibilities endless

Obsidian built their studio's legacy on the bedrock of player empowerment. The team's latest open-world RPG, The Outer Worlds, continued that legacy. "It was always important to us that you even made up the name of your character," said Tim Cain, Co-Game Director at Obsidian. The simple act of naming and assigning unique stats to their character got players immediately invested in the game. But when it came to player agency, character creation was only the tip of the asteroid.

"You have to make sure you have something for everybody when you're designing your game." - Megan Starks, Senior Narrative Designer, Obsidian Entertainment

The team wanted to empower players to an astronomical extent. "We very much try to avoid linearity wherever possible," explained Taylor Swope, Quality Assurance Lead at Obsidian. The team considered all the ways players might approach the game differently. Would they blast their way through with ranged attacks? Would they wield the spoken word as a pacifist? Or would they let chaos reign with reckless abandon? It was important to offer an equally rich experience for any playstyle.

Reeling in the vastness of space

Open-world RPGs of this class are typically 60+ hour affairs. Obsidian sought to reign in the genre to a more manageable scope without limiting gameplay freedom. The team chose a couple of defining moments to serve as the game's foundation. The result: a tighter game and a stronger core, all without straying from their design philosophy.

Developers often create a vertical slice to refine one section of their game, getting a taste of the final product in a single dose. Obsidian nixed that traditional approach and pioneered a concept called the horizontal slice. "We wanted to be able to see the game from start to finish as quickly as possible," said Senior Producer Matthew Singh. They used primitive grey-boxed areas to get a feel for the rhythm and flow of The Outer Worlds early in the process. The horizontal perspective shed light on ways to approach and improve the game at large. They spiced up a stale map here, pared down a dialogue-heavy map there, and even split a particularly content-laden character into two discreet people. The experiment was a success, resulting in a more balanced experience over the game's full arc.

Even with a more focused approach, the game weaved an impressive web. Conversations in The Outer Worlds were designed to be complex and branching, creating more opportunities for players to guide the story. This narrative web contained hundreds of nodes, leading characters down just as many divergent paths. Doubling down on intricacy, the team crafted six companion characters, each with a unique introduction, story arc, and approach to combat. All-told, writers contributed over 50,000 lines of dialogue—more than 420,000 words—for their voice actors to record.

A sprawling game like The Outer Worlds couldn't exist without centralized and well-structured asset management to help devs work and collaborate efficiently. Luckily, this wasn't Obsidian's first rodeo. They built their game on well-oiled processes developed over years of making branching games with lots of assets. That gave them the freedom to make changes on the fly, swap out assets, and ready The Outer Worlds for liftoff.

Seems to be a Game Stack Live feature that never aired.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm surprised it's not Disco.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom